BMW 2-Series & M2

-> ...
@The Vanishing Boy Nice to see that you think my car is 'drool worthy' :P
^ I simply love a small quirky practical hot-hatch that is RWD, which focuses on outright fun than speed!

2719899752_3079d2228e_b.jpg

^ And I currently drive a BMW, so you get my drift. :P

"Spec-sheet car enthusiasts" exist?
^ Oh-hoh! There are a LOT! Just browse some YouTube comments or even at any car meet to see who they are. :indiff:

Honestly can't remember, but I think the M-performance parts range contains an LSD for a number of models.
From my knowledge that applies to the M235i(and now M240i) but that is it, either way it's not like an LSD is some unique part that can't be added in a pack.

Imo any M Sport Pack on any model should come with LSD, BMW is the kind of brand you would assume would be on this already, the fact it's limited only to their most exclusive models sounds like a joke given their own motto ''Ultimate Driving Machine."

It would be waste of money for BMW to put one on every M-sport.

Most normal dry weather driving won't benefit from an LSd, and u hardly doubt a 316d is really going to benefit massively from one.

It would be waste of money for BMW to put one on every M-sport.

Most normal dry weather driving won't benefit from an LSd, and u hardly doubt a 316d is really going to benefit massively from one.
Disagree, by making it an option you pay for that expense.

And just because it's a lowly model doesn't mean they should abandon the principal of the brand, if you going to add an M Sport to a car that is far from Sporty, you should receive some in return.

LSD is not that expensive though, the dirt cheap muscle cars in America all have them so do Commodore and Falcons here(on the sport versions) I can't fathom a brand like BMW not having it.

I guess if you gotta. You gotta.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/42E1157A23CCB663CA25806F001EDF88
BMW_M_performance_exhaust_main.jpg

MW’S two-door hi-po hero just got louder, with the car-maker announcing a dealer-fitted M Performance Exhaust with Valve Silencer System to new and existing M2 owners.

The optional exhaust, which is on offer from $4081.82 before GST and fitment charges, will take about two hours to install and replaces the standard system with a stainless steel unit featuring valve control to allow drivers to switch between two modes – ‘sport’ and ‘track’ – from the cockpit.

According to BMW, “the default sport mode provides additional aural entertainment over the standard system” whereas “switching to track mode brings a new level of volume and a guttural six-cylinder soundtrack synonymous with BMW Motorsport pedigree”.

In fact, the track setting makes the exhaust so loud, the M2 becomes illegal to drive on public roads, which has prompted BMW to advise that the setting should only be used in racetrack situations.

The new exhaust system can also be fitted with optional titanium or carbon-fibre tips for $1450.04 and $2015.88 respectively, making the carbon-fibre option over $500 per exhaust tip.

The titanium tips are 80mm in diameter, whereas the carbon-fibre option are 93mm and both feature M engraving.

While freer flowing exhaust systems typically increase power outputs, it is unknown if the M Performance exhaust will liberate any extra kilowatts from the M2’s 3.0-litre turbocharged straight six motor.

In standard form, the engine develops 272kW of peak power and 465Nm of maximum torque, which is fed through the rear wheels via either a six-speed manual or seven-speed dual-clutch automatic.

Prices for BMW’s baby M model start at $89,615 before on-roads for the manual-only Pure and top out at $98,615 for the auto-equipped version which also adds extra features including an alarm, adaptive headlights, keyless entry and start, and heated front seats.

I thought 4000$ was crazy for an exhaust, but then I noticed that a) it's in Aussie monopoly money, and b) it's still cheaper than an Akrapovic setup...
I don't know. At least the Akrapovic exhaust seems to come with carbon tips stock where as BMW is asking an addition 2 G's. :eek:

Edit* According to Bimmerworld, the exhaust is $2,300USD before factoring in the optional tips. Titanium tips are $219/tip, CF are $315/tip. I don't know how much the Akrapovic is in the US, but that comes out to almost $3,600 for the exhaust+CF tips. Yikes.

Not seeing any differences. In fact, it's the same image that already appears on BMW UK's web page for the M2.

*edit* - rear lights are a bit different.

That's the subtlest of facelifts. I see the taillight differences, but I still haven't found anything different up front:

Apparently the headlights are different? That's about it I think. Shame they still don't offer descent seats! That and the fact that you can't disable rev-match without turning off ESC are my only two gripes with this car. Other than that, I'm having a really hard time choosing between the Long Beach Blue and Mineral Grey...

I assume it's going to be a competitor to the Mercedes CLA, or in which segment is this going to fit in? Or is this like the 1-series coupe?

Back