BMW 2-Series & M2

Being based on the 3-series platform really hasn't done its proportions any favours. Yuck.

Well, I'm going to reserve my opinion for later when I can see the new 2-series coupe in the flesh.

Watching the youtube clip reviews of the new 2-series coupe, I have to admit that it looks better than it does on the pictures in this thread.

It looks a lot better in the metal having seen the three examples they have at Goodwood.
CA79D5AE-1E4F-4B9C-9686-1E6272763F8F.jpeg

Not saying it looked good, but it looked better than the pics.

Well, I'm going to reserve my opinion for later when I can see the new 2-series coupe in the flesh.

Watching the youtube clip reviews of the new 2-series coupe, I have to admit that it looks better than it does on the pictures in this thread.
I did say the same about the M3/4 grille. This is a whole car though. I guess there's nothing those of us, that don't agree with its styling, can do.

Latest spy shots of the BMW M2 appear to confirm the leaks of the front bumper a few weeks back are legit:
2023-bmw-m2-spied-with-exposed-grille.jpg

attachment.php

Latest spy shots of the BMW M2 appear to confirm the leaks of the front bumper a few weeks back are legit:

attachment.php
That bumper kind of reminds me of a mix between the VA WRX and last-generation M6. Imagine how the fronts of the 4 Series, M3/M4 and i4 would all look with this arrangement...

BMW M2 (G87)

View attachment 1105668

View attachment 1105669

View attachment 1105670
Looks like an improvement over the regular 2-Series trims, and seems to have much better looking headlights. Though, I wonder how much faster the M2 will be over the new M240i, which has 382hp and can do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. It can only be so much quicker of a car without being equivalent to the M4. Given that the upcoming M2 will likely be almost as fast as the M4, less expensive, is a larger car than the previous 2-Series, and arguably better looking for lacking the absurd grille, it begs the question, why even buy an M4?

Looks like an improvement over the regular 2-Series trims, and seems to have much better looking headlights. Though, I wonder how much faster the M2 will be over the new M240i, which has 382hp and can do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. It can only be so much quicker of a car without being equivalent to the M4. Given that the upcoming M2 will likely be almost as fast as the M4, less expensive, is a larger car than the previous 2-Series, and arguably better looking for lacking the absurd grille, it begs the question, why even buy an M4?
The catch is that the M2 will be RWD only... Or at least the current plan is to have an RWD variant only.

Now that the leaked front bumper design is confirmed to be legit, I'm curious to see what they've done regarding the headlight situation. The cut-out is different compared to the regular 2-Series so I'm wondering if the M2 will have a unique headlight design.

Maybe the same as why buy the 911 when there is the 718 Cayman?

Maybe the same as why buy the 911 when there is the 718 Cayman?
There are greater differences, in terms of performance, size, and price, between the fastest Cayman Model (GT4) and fastest 911 model (GT2) than there are between the M2 and M4.

There are greater differences, in terms of performance, size, and price, between the fastest Cayman Model (GT4) and fastest 911 model (GT2) than there are between the M2 and M4.
That wasn’t the case when the Boxster and Cayman debuted. Reviewers were saying the MR was better than the RR. I’m saying, those that want the 4 will get it and those that want the 2 will get that. No Matter how close the performance.

I think the 4 series has a somewhat useable back seat. I don't think the 2 does even if the new car is larger - pretty sure all that extra dimension went into the nose...

I think the 4 series has a somewhat useable back seat. I don't think the 2 does even if the new car is larger - pretty sure all that extra dimension went into the nose...
If I remember correctly, they showed it in the Throttle House video I linked above. The new 2 series has less space in the back than the previous gen. So if you want a more useable car, get the 4 series.

Edit: Or get the previous generation.

Last edited:
Why are they going the Honda and Lambo route with those ugly exhaust pipes, why BMW why....no style or design sense whatsoever!

It’s like one of those Prodrive one offs. If I were in the market for a BMW, I’d just get an E30 318is. I’m only finding the race cars interesting. Don’t know what they’re doing to and with their road cars.

Back