BMW 3.0 CSL 1972

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 34 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

This car is the first car suggestion from StarLight garage.

687atj.jpg

Introduced in May 1972, the 3.0CSL was a homologation special built to make the car eligible for racing in the European Touring Car Championship.

The "L" in the designation meant leicht (light), unlike in other BMW designations, where it meantlang (long). The lightness was achieved by using thinner steel to build the unit body, deleting the trim and soundproofing, using aluminium alloy doors, bonnets, and boot lids, and using Perspex side windows.

The five hundred 3.0CSLs exported to the United Kingdom were not quite as light as the others, as the importer had insisted on retaining the soundproofing, electric windows, and stock E9 bumpers on these cars.

Initially using the same engine as the 3.0CS, the 3.0CSL was given a very small increase in displacement to 3,003 cc (183.3 cu in) by increasing the engine bore by one quarter of a millimetre. This was done in August 1972 to allow the CSL to be raced in the "over three litre" racing category, allowing for some increase in displacement in the racing cars.

In 1973, the engine in the 3.0CSL was given another, more substantial increase in displacement to 3,153 cc (192.4 cu in) by increasing the stroke to 84 mm (3.3 in). This final version of the 3.0CSL was homologated in July 1973 along with an aerodynamic package including a large air dam, short fins running along the front fenders, a spoiler above and behind the trailing edge of the roof, and a tall rear wing.

The rear wings were not installed at the factory, but were left in the boot for installation after purchase. This was done because the wings were illegal for use on German roads.
The full aero package earned the racing CSLs the nickname "Batmobile".

Specifications:

Powertrain:
Engine: 2153 cc / Inline-6
Twin Solex carburetors
Power: 200 hp / 5500 rpm
Torque: 255 Nm / 3700 rpm
Gearbox: 4-speed manual

Dimensions:
Length: 4660 mm
Width: 1710 mm
Height: 1370 mm
Weight: 1165 kg

Performance:
Top speed: 213 km/h
0-100: 7,3 sec

2gvt3dl.jpg

2cgmp6t.jpg

30jsqc5.jpg

2dqog21.jpg

13zprw0.jpg

2nk59ud.jpg

242bz9c.png

THE OTHER BMW ARE HERE

Last edited:
I know it has already exceeded 100 likes, but maybe mentioning the art car in the title might encourage a few more votes :)

The Art Cars were race cars, and this suggestion thread is for the road car.

I've never really understood the big following that this car has. Its nice an' all, but I'd much rather have the E30 M3 or even a 1600-2.

If I would make a list of cars that are underrated or overrated I would need a lot of time to write it down. :D
So I will not do that, I never make a negative comment also, if I don't like a car I keep the comment to myself. :embarrassed:
Nothing personal mate ... but those questions are pointless. :crazy:

Have a nice evening.
:cheers:

If I would make a list of cars that are underrated or overrated I would need a lot of time to write it down. :D
So I will not do that, I never make a negative comment also, if I don't like a car I keep the comment to myself. :embarrassed:
Nothing personal mate ... but those questions are pointless. :crazy:

Have a nice evening.
:cheers:

It wasn't a question, it was a statement. :D and if everyone only voiced their positive thoughts, these forums would be devoid of interaction.

'Disliking' or voicing a 'negative' opinion about a particular a car isn't an invitation for conflict, its simply an alternative point of view. :) The former GTP member Azure Flare failed to comprehend this.

Back