BMW 3-Series (G20) / M3 (G80) / 4-Series / M4

We've seen the thinly disguised prototype so many times that the shock factor of the big grill is virtually non-existent now. Considering how the reception to the 4-Series could have been if they presented the production car out of the blue, I think BMW is handling the reveal pretty well.
Like with the Angry Birds X5, the shock factor has passed, but it doesn't look any less terrible.

But ultimately you either like BMWs - in which case the grille is hardly the be all and end all of whether it's good, as you don't drive a car by staring at the front - or, like me, you don't think they've made anything attractive since around the turn of the century, in which case the Alfa Giulia is like, right there.

I think BMW couldn't really care less what people think of the front end. When I started at automotive engineering school, about 80%+ of the kids said BMW was their favourite brand, and the M3 or M2 Comp their favourite model. I think BMW will be OK.

I said the Lancia Delta Integrale HF group A, of course, but then I had nearly a decade in age on everyone in the room.

BMW's set to reveal the new 4-Series on June 2nd. I imagine the LCI 5-Series and 6-Series GT will be the same date?
2021-bmw-4-series-coupe-teaser.jpg

How am I not surprised that a BMW has been "leaked" before its official unveiling. :rolleyes:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think it looks bad; the shock factor has gone for me. Not the colour I would have it in though.

Suppose I'll have to see it in person to tell just how bad it is. Other than the massive grill, the overall design looks good, although it doesn't help that those photos show it in the shadows. Also looks as the M440i will be a mild hybrid. What does interest me is the new colors being offered that were also leaked in that brochure.

The leaked brochure also reveals the color palette. The standard exterior colors are the following:

• Alpine White
  • Black Sapphire
  • Mineral White
  • Bluestone
  • Artic Race Blue
  • Portimao Blue
  • Sunset Orange
  • Sonremo Green
  • Black Non-Metallic
Of course, if you have the extra cash, BMW Individual can make your 4 Series stand out:

• Brilliant White Metallic
  • Dravite Grey
  • Frozen Deep Grey
  • Frozen Portimao Blue
  • Tanzanite Blue

Put the colors I haven't seen before in bold, I really hope BMW does a proper green again with this Sonremo Green. The Manhattan Green they introduced on the X7, then X5 was awful. Looks like the color on those photos might be the new Arctic Race Blue?

The car is supposed to be unveiled today, but here is a better look if you are impatient:
4 series 1.JPG

4 series 2.JPG

4 series 3.JPG

It's not a bad looking coupe, if you ignore the grill. God I still hate that grill, nothing is going to make me forgive that design choice.

Yeah the grille really detracts from the fact it could have been a quietly handsome looking car.

This is a (very) quick sketch up of what the new 4 would look like with a grill nicked from the Z4:
View attachment 926734

So when are we going to start a petition for BMW to hire me as their new designer?

EDIT: Had another go with the 8 Series grille
View attachment 926742

Honestly, neither of those would look any better for my two cents. The more overtly hexagonal edges of the kidneys don't really work that well on the Z4 or the 8-er, they don't work upside down (like on the X2), on the X6 they look weird, and on the 6GT LCI.. they look... well, weird again. If the 4-er needed a conventionally sized grille, taking the G20 one would be the best idea... though personally I don't mind the size, though I don't love the execution - the pointy edge grilles from other models aren't that much better.

You know what? Most of the cars I consider beautiful have something I don't like (even the Disco Volante), and honestly the only part I'd change about this car is the front grill. It's a big detail, but whatever, it's still one of the prettiest BMWs in my opinion.

To be fair I absolutely do not want to see it without a front license plate, or with a narrower US/JP style plate and it'd just be too much for me to ignore. Luckily I have 0 interest in leaving the EU so I'll never have to see that in person.

Honestly, neither of those would look any better for my two cents. The more overtly hexagonal edges of the kidneys don't really work that well on the Z4 or the 8-er, they don't work upside down (like on the X2), on the X6 they look weird, and on the 6GT LCI.. they look... well, weird again. If the 4-er needed a conventionally sized grille, taking the G20 one would be the best idea... though personally I don't mind the size, though I don't love the execution - the pointy edge grilles from other models aren't that much better.

Gave it a shot, but I thought the lines of the grill didn't fit the headlamp design very well:
4 series 3s.JPG

Gave it a shot, but I thought the lines of the grill didn't fit the headlamp design very well:

Of the suggestions swirling around the internet at the moment, this would be my preference... though as I say, I don't mind it as it is.... this configuration ... oo/ | \oo doesn't work me.

The front plate breaks up the grille a bit... it'll be fun to see how ridiculous it'll look in places where there are no front plates, or with the tiny american plates.

Powertrain options. No manuals options, plus all diesels and the M440i are mild-hybrids.

Model variants:

BMW 420i Coupé:
Four-cylinder in-line petrol engine, eight-speed Steptronic transmission.
Capacity: 1,998 cc, output: 135 kW/184 hp at 5,000 – 6,500 rpm,
max. torque: 300 Nm (221 lb-ft) at 1,350 – 4,000 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 7.5 seconds,
top speed: 240 km/h (149 mph).
Fuel consumption, combined: 5.8 – 5.3 l/100 km (48.7 – 53.3 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions, combined: 132 – 122 g/km, exhaust standard: Euro 6d.

BMW 430i Coupé:
Four-cylinder in-line petrol engine, eight-speed Steptronic transmission.
Capacity: 1,998 cc, output: 190 kW/258 hp at 5,000 – 6,500 rpm,
max. torque: 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) at 1,550 – 4,400 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 5.8 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph).
Fuel consumption, combined: 6.1 – 5.7 l/100 km (46.3 – 49.6 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions, combined: 141 – 131 g/km, exhaust standard: Euro 6d.

BMW M440i xDrive Coupé:
Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine, 48V mild hybrid technology (8 kW/11 hp), eight-speed Steptronic transmission, BMW xDrive.
Capacity: 2,998 cc, output: 275 kW/374 hp at 5,500 – 6,500 rpm,
max. torque: 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) at 1,900 – 5,000 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 4.5 seconds,
Fuel consumption, combined: 7.1 – 6.8 l/100 km (39.8 – 41.5 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions, combined: 163 – 155 g/km, exhaust standard: Euro 6d.

BMW 420d Coupé:
Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine, 48V mild hybrid technology (8 kW/11 hp), eight-speed Steptronic transmission.
Capacity: 1,995 cc, output: 140 kW/190 hp at 4,000 rpm,
max. torque: 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) at 1,750 – 2,500 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 7.1 seconds,
top speed: 240 km/h (149 mph).
Fuel consumption, combined: 4.2 – 3.9 l/100 km (67.3 – 72.4 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions, combined: 112 – 103 g/km, exhaust standard: Euro 6d.

BMW 420d xDrive Coupé:
Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine, 48V mild hybrid technology (8 kW/11 hp), eight-speed Steptronic transmission, BMW xDrive.
Capacity: 1,995 cc, output: 140 kW/190 hp at 4,000 rpm,
max. torque: 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) at 1,750 – 2,500 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 7.4 seconds,
top speed: 238 km/h (148 mph).
Fuel consumption, combined: 4.6 – 4.3 l/100 km (61.4 – 65.7 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions, combined: 121 – 112 g/km, exhaust standard: Euro 6d.

BMW 430d xDrive Coupé (est. available from March 2021):
Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine, 48V mild hybrid technology (8 kW/11 hp), eight-speed Steptronic transmission, BMW xDrive.
Capacity: 2,993 cc, output: 210 kW/286 hp at 4,000 rpm,
max. torque: 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) at 1,500 – 2,500 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 5.2 seconds,
Fuel consumption, combined: 6.2 l/100 km (45.6 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions, combined: 146 g/km
(model with market launch in 2021: fuel consumption and CO2 emissions shown as WLTP values),
exhaust standard: Euro 6d.

BMW M440d xDrive Coupé (est. available from March 2021):
Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine, 48V mild hybrid technology (8 kW/11 hp), eight-speed Steptronic transmission, BMW xDrive.
Capacity: 2,993 cc, output: 250 kW/340 hp at 4,400 rpm,
max. torque: 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) at 1,750 – 2,250 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 4.7 seconds,
Fuel consumption, combined: 6.7 l/100 km (42.2 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions, combined: 158 g/km
(model with market launch in 2021: fuel consumption and CO2 emissions shown as WLTP values),
exhaust standard: Euro 6d.

Aftermarket solution would be nice. Though BMW could've made some money on this - $3,000 for a big grille delete.

Aftermarket solution would be nice. Though BMW could've made some money on this - $3,000 for a big grille delete.

That's a new automobile business model:

Car companies provide a blank or ugly canvas, and people personalize and customize the look of their cars with add-ons or detail looks...
I am not talking about Coach build or autozone add ons, but something in between for the masses.

That M440d must be some experience - sub 5.0 second diesel is pretty spectacular- but in that body it's a big no thank you.

When I started at automotive engineering school, about 80%+ of the kids said BMW was their favourite brand, and the M3 or M2 Comp their favourite model. I think BMW will be OK.

No matter how it looks, how much it costs or even how it drives, the then-current 3/4-series BMW will always sell like sliced bread. It's pretty much the iPhone of the automotive world - it's bought because it's considered to be cool, and once you've bought one, everyone not sharing the enthusiasm isn't only disagreed with, they're completely ridiculed for thinking that some measly inferior product (read: everything else) could ever be as good. It's probably no coincidence that just about every BMW owner has an iPhone too when you think of it.

The grille ruins it either way, but MAN, that poverty spec one is just vomit-inducing. It's a massive shame, because from any angle that doesn't show the front it looks gorgeous.

Back