BMW 3-Series (G20) / M3 (G80) / 4-Series / M4

or... It's almost like pretty much every press gallery for new BMW's always has the plate on and they've done nothing differently this time!... Spooky.

Ok fine, BMW is more prone (after closer some inspection) to having a plate in their pressers than other manufacturers...but sometimes they don't have plates! :lol:

Ok fine, BMW is more prone (after closer some inspection) to having a plate in their pressers than other manufacturers...but sometimes they don't have plates! :lol:
FWIW most cars that were designed to have a front plate (ie most European and Japanese cars) more often than not have one in official press photos, auto shows and car ads (at least here in Spain), if not a real plate (can also be one with invalid numbers/letters, we have those here) then the "brand" plate with the model logo. And these cars also tend to have front plates in Gran Turismo games.

I just looked up the 4-series concept (I completely forgot that was a thing) and I have to say the production model looks a lot better to me. I personally prefer the "more normal" sizes of the actual production car's headlights and mirrors over the concept's. Not to mention that the larger headlights make the gigantic grille look a bit smaller.

ef002d2079b2c96b1b42a636acf1a643.jpg

p90390173-highres-bmw-m440i-xdrive-arc-1591114677.jpg

FWIW most cars that were designed to have a front plate (ie most European and Japanese cars) more often than not have one in official press photos, auto shows and car ads (at least here in Spain), if not a real plate (can also be one with invalid numbers/letters, we have those here) then the "brand" plate with the model logo. And these cars also tend to have front plates in Gran Turismo games.

I just looked up the 4-series concept (I completely forgot that was a thing) and I have to say the production model looks a lot better to me. I personally prefer the "more normal" sizes of the actual production car's headlights and mirrors over the concept's. Not to mention that the larger headlights make the gigantic grille look a bit smaller.

Thinking about and doing a little more searching...it seems that most brand catering mostly to NA market do press photo sans plate (Mazda, Toyota, Honda, GMC, etc) while the Euro-focused and/or Euro-based brands do them with the plate. I imagine this is because front plates are mandatory throughout Europe whereas they are not mandated in all US states. Could be that google is serving me up images based on my location as well.

Sorry for derailing the thread with my useless commentary.

It looks awful regardless of the color of the grill.

I seriously can’t fathom how people even find that front acceptable or good looking at all.

I’ll be genuinely surprised if the car sells well enough.

OH, I bet they'll get some sales with this car. Probably from rich executives that have no taste and BMW loyalists that'll buy anything.

It's a BMW Sports coupe, of course it will sell.... At least to those who buy a BMW because of its badge credentials.

You have loads of people financing their F32's and when their contract runs out, they are most likely going to get more bang for their buck upgrading to a G22. Plus with modern cars using more complicated infotainment systems, switching to different car brands is like switching from Android to iOS. If someone is used to BMW iDrive, they are less likely to go through the hassle of learning the Mercedes-Benz MBUX, for instance.

And I agree with the grille looking far more tolerable with the chrome delete option.

MXH
I seriously can’t fathom how people even find that front acceptable or good looking at all.

I've never been able to fathom what people see in Alfa Romeo's, but it's worth remembering how much stick the car in your avatar got at launch for the way it looks. As I seem to recall, this was one of the more popular reactions...
GpNBHr0z_400x400.jpg

Often people react to change initially, but over time tastes evolve - and it's not always what people expect. The E65 7-series was about as polarising as it got, but it's still about the only time BMW ever managed to top the S-Class for sales.

The F32 was all about Bimmerangs, Pep boys, M-Badges and Ninja Turtles at launch, now the BMW fandom is acting like it's Jesus Christ incarnate, even though the M4's I6 Turbo was supposed to be the end of the brand after the E92 M3's V8.

The G22, and BMW, will do just fine.

I've never been able to fathom what people see in Alfa Romeo's, but it's worth remembering how much stick the car in your avatar got at launch for the way it looks. As I seem to recall, this was one of the more popular reactions...
GpNBHr0z_400x400.jpg

Often people react to change initially, but over time tastes evolve - and it's not always what people expect. The E65 7-series was about as polarising as it got, but it's still about the only time BMW ever managed to top the S-Class for sales.

The F32 was all about Bimmerangs, Pep boys, M-Badges and Ninja Turtles at launch, now the BMW fandom is acting like it's Jesus Christ incarnate, even though the M4's I6 Turbo was supposed to be the end of the brand after the E92 M3's V8.

The G22, and BMW, will do just fine.
:lol: I personally never understod the initial hate the E60 got. The base model isn’t the most attractive car ever but I’ve always liked it and as an owner of an M-Sport version myself (avatar) I think they aged well in my opinion.

The overall fugliness of the E65 pre-facelift model is certainly up for debate though. However, I still think that the G22 is in a leauge of its own with that ugly snout.

Maybe I will change my mind when I see one in person.

Disappointed the M3 will run the same ugly face as the M4. Really puts a dampener on the insane performance rumored.

M3 on the track

bmw-m3-spy-photos-front-3-4.jpg

bmw-m3-spy-photos-profile.jpg

bmw-m3-spy-photos-rear-3-4.jpg

M4 on the track

bmw-m4-spy-photos-front-3-4.jpg

bmw-m4-spy-photos.jpg

bmw-m4-spy-photos.jpg

Codenamed the M3 Pure and M4 Pure, the two will serve as the entry-level trim, offering reduced output, a rear-wheel-drive layout, and a manual gearbox. The Pure models are expected to produce 460 horsepower (343 kilowatts) from the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter straight-six S58 engine. The non-Pure models get the same engine, though it makes 480 hp (357 kW). The 480-hp M3 and M4 also get the company’s eight-speed automatic and the xDrive all-wheel-drive system.

https://www.motor1.com/news/436064/bmw-m3-m4-spy-photos/

Latest Posts

Back