BMW 3-Series (G20) / M3 (G80) / 4-Series / M4

A few days ago, I saw the new M4 myself for the first time and I'm sorry, but I still think the front-end looks ugly.
Don't apologize.

Only the front-end? IMHO, the entire car is ...... :yuck:
The front-end is the least ugly thing about the new M4. BMW has lost its mojo designing cars.

Yeah I saw one at Cars and Coffee sitting right next to a F80 and the G80 was miserable. It looked tall, big, unathletic. The rear appears to have a very high ride height. It's just too much. The F80 is low and sleek in comparison.

If they face-lift that nose out with the LCI, that's could be one of the prettiest cabriolets in a very long time. The side profile and rear just work so well.

Only the front-end? IMHO, the entire car is ...... :yuck:
The front-end is the least ugly thing about the new M4. BMW has lost its mojo designing cars.
It's honestly just the front (mostly the big kidney grill) that bothers me. I thought the rest looked rather good, but of course, past designs looked better imo.

What was your issue with the rest of it though? Something with the body lines, proportions, or...?

but yeah, BMW seems to be determined to try this new design trend trying to look futuristic and for some reason, they think big kidneys are the answer.
----

Also to repeat myself, I have another issue with BMW's kidney grills. If they were meant to harp back to their older grill designs, then why didn't they alter the headlights in the same way? It seems so odd to harpe back to an older design language and only do one part of it.

Dark colours help it but it’s still slab sided and flabby looking instead of muscular like the G80/2.
9F3B0CBC-AE0B-475A-8101-EE378D46A459.jpeg

What was your issue with the rest of it though? Something with the body lines, proportions, or...?
The new M4 is too long. It is too bland. I mean, there is nothing going on and the rear wheel arches are too pronounced. The design makes the rear wheels look so small. I don't know but it seems that the roofline doesn't fit the rest of the car.
Everything from the B-pillar is just wrong.

bmw_m4_coupe_competition_2021_yellow_005.jpg

Last edited:
The new M4 is too long. It is too bland. I mean, there is nothing going on and the rear wheel arches are too pronounced. The design makes the rear wheels look so small. I don't know but it seems that the roofline doesn't fit the rest of the car.
Ah, I actually can kinda see what you mean there about the length. They probably could've done more there.

The only thing is that after seeing so many car designs where people felt the need to put things everywhere like excessive sharp angles, vents, rigid lines that don't flow like in Audis, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and more. A car with not much going on feels like a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Would you rather... Pig nose or Kia grill?
It's like, forget about price, do I buy the car with Bluetooth or without? Hard choices.
2022-BMW-M3-Touring-7.jpg

8D29B20C-FC85-4DD3-AF8E-EE12E5158578.jpeg

Here we go again. There's a 70-80yo man, near my neighborhood, with the F80 M3. It's a metallic red. His house is on the street of my school run. The F80 isn't there. In his spot is an even brighter metallic reddish-orange G80 M3. Guess he's traded up.

The grill ain't that bad . The overall shape of the M3, overshadows the grill. I think I'm still getting used to the tailights and headlights of the new model. The grill is just... there.

I still think the M8 is BMW's current best looking car.
Oh you mean the Ford Taurus? The 8 series just looks like a long blob of a car. There's no character to its design whatsoever and if you saw its silhouette without the grille you'd have no idea it was a BMW.

images

2019-bmw-m850i-Coupe-1001x565p%20%283%29.jpg

2002-lexus-sc430

It looks like a melting blob of lard somebody schlapped on a frying pan. I'm not gonna say its ugly - I like cooking things in lard - but it is miserable and boring. At least the Taurus and SC430 were cohesive, unique for their times, and instantly recognizable. The 8-series looks like a Kia, except the actual Kia "gran coupe" looks better, more unique, and is instantly recognizable.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't say the 8 Series is Taurus levels of roundness, but TheSketchMonkey did a pretty good analysis as to why the 8-Series looks like a softened Sixth-Gen Mustang:

I personally wouldn't say the 8 Series is Taurus levels of roundness, but TheSketchMonkey did a pretty good analysis as to why the 8-Series looks like a softened Sixth-Gen Mustang:

Wow that original 8 is such an excellent looking car. BMW really missed a huge opportunity brining the name back but without any retro design. Basically as bad as Chevy bringing back the Blazer name as a soft-roading crossover.

Back