BMW i EfficientDynamics - i3 confirmed to be a RWD, Mid-Engine car.

• Thread starter Prince.M5
  • 344 comments
Interesting to see the difference in how a car made largely of CFRP responds to a fire, compared to a conventionally bodied car.

i3 vs 328 in a house fire! The resin melts away leaving the carbon strands to fall apart!.. http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/12/09/bmw-i3-melts-away-in-house-fire/

bmw-i3-fire-1.jpg

bmw-i3-fire-4-750x563.jpg
Recycled vs non recycled. :P

For a minute there, I thought they went all Z1 with the doors.

I am disappoint.

Technically it still has those little winglets for the cameras though.
Part of me thinks it'd actually look a bit odd without them. The VW XL1 gets away with it, since it's so unusual in the first place, but visually it'll probably take a while to get used to regular cars without door mirrors.

Part of me thinks it'd actually look a bit odd without them. The VW XL1 gets away with it, since it's so unusual in the first place, but visually it'll probably take a while to get used to regular cars without door mirrors.
Considering how many headaches they create with wind noise, I think getting rid of them will become quite common soon.

Considering how many headaches they create with wind noise, I think getting rid of them will become quite common soon.
Indeed, though the trouble hasn't been the tech, it's been legislators. They're hard enough to get green-lit in Europe (VW jumped through all sorts of hoops for the XL1), let alone the US where up-to-date headlight technology can't even get passed.

I'd still prefer mirrors though. I have a huge field of view with a mirror because I can change my head position. Not possible with a camera. And my eyes are much more sensitive than a cheapo camera sensor and screen reproducing a headlamp in a mirror.

The modern trend for naming special editions after colours amuses me.

Maybe I should start doing it with my own cars. I don't own a Eunos Roadster S-Spec - I own a Eunos Roadster Black Edition. My old Panda was a Fiat Panda White Edition. The Rover 75 Maroon Edition was one to forget though.

The modern trend for naming special editions after colours amuses me.

Maybe I should start doing it with my own cars. I don't own a Eunos Roadster S-Spec - I own a Eunos Roadster Black Edition. My old Panda was a Fiat Panda White Edition. The Rover 75 Maroon Edition was one to forget though.

The paint is failing on our explorer. Terrazzo White Edition.

Their modern art cars are absolutely pants compared to the first few. Calder's CSL was art. This is just a mess of paint.

VXR
Their modern art cars are absolutely pants compared to the first few. Calder's CSL was art. This is just a mess of paint.

I dunno, I liked the M3 GT2 art car, but most of them are pretty bleh. This I8 I actually quite like too.

VXR

I'm not sure if this could really be classed as a proper Art Car, it's not an original work after all... it's a replication of an artists prior work

23aa3ae059e392067da2c0376daabdbd.jpg

I dunno, I liked the M3 GT2 art car

I think it's great... but once you realise what it's depicting... it can't be unseen...

gt2.jpg

BMW adds 6 individual colors for the i8 in the UK-
Solar Orange, Frozen Grey, Twilight Purple Pearl, Speed Yellow, Frozen Black and Java Green
bmw-individual-exterior-paint-i8-uk-6.jpg

i8-new-colours-715x385-1-1.jpg

Solar Orange

i8-new-colours-715x385-2.jpg

Frozen Grey

i8-new-colours-715x385-3.jpg

Twilight Purple Pearl

i8-new-colours-715x385-4.jpg

Speed Yellow

i8-new-colours-715x385-5.jpg

Frozen Black

i8-new-colours-715x385-6.jpg

Java Green

I don't generally like yellow cars or like black wheels... but the Speed Yellow version looks ace.
Yeah, works really well on that shape. I'm quite partial to the purple too - it's a dark shade, so it looks classy, but it's not too dull like most other dark shades.

Oh, I really like that purple. The green is pretty ace too: reminds me of the 2002 Turbo's. Agreed with both @Stotty and @homeforsummer on the yellow – such a tough colour to get right, but it really works.

With the nice weather, these are become (slightly) more common around here. Still easily one of the most eye-catching cars on the road. Makes an R8 look utterly pedestrian.

Latest Posts

Back