BMW i EfficientDynamics - i3 confirmed to be a RWD, Mid-Engine car.

• Thread starter Prince.M5
  • 344 comments
BMW's Megacity 'i' vehicles will be fully electric so they have that base covered.

I'm aware ;) It's still a hell of a lot of money for a glorified Chevy Volt though.

Generally, if you buy a BMW then you are buying a good car, and I'd certainly rather buy from a mass manufacturer that is represented around the world in most cities, and will be able to offer after sales support for the life of the car and will probably still be around long after I'm dead --- like BMW, rather than Tesla Motors, I just think it is a much easier, and less risky proposition.

I think you're overestimating the complication with something like a Tesla. A hundred years down the line it will still be four wheels, a motor and a battery pack. Aftersales is almost moot. You're never going to struggle to get engine components for it. If anything, I'd expect people to upgrade something like a Tesla as the years go on with better batteries and motors.

My point is that for something so expensive, it's also a little half-assed. Given that they have an electric program developing already, it seems rather pointless sticking a diesel motor and making it a range-extended hybrid when they could develop it as a pure EV. Especially for that kind of money.

I'm aware ;) It's still a hell of a lot of money for a glorified Chevy Volt though.

Hmm, you could level that statement at any car in the premium segment though?

I think you're overestimating the complication with something like a Tesla. A hundred years down the line it will still be four wheels, a motor and a battery pack. Aftersales is almost moot. You're never going to struggle to get engine components for it. If anything, I'd expect people to upgrade something like a Tesla as the years go on with better batteries and motors.

Well, maybe it's just me, but the Tesla is a lot of money for something relatively unproven in the market place, from a manufacturer who doesn't really have a track record of any kind yet... I just think it is logical for people to have more faith in the BMW.

.. as a side note, my company (the company for who I work) is somewhere in the supply chain for Tesla body bits... and they already done some moronic things.. only little things, but things which irritate me hugely - so maybe I'm biased!

My point is that for something so expensive, it's also a little half-assed. Given that they have an electric program developing already, it seems rather pointless sticking a diesel motor and making it a range-extended hybrid when they could develop it as a pure EV. Especially for that kind of money.

Check out this article on Bimmerpost... the poster, SCOTT, is a known BMW insider..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471342

I particularly like this bit :

Scott on Bimmerpost
VISION EFFICIENT DYNAMICS / i8

The Vision Efficient Dynamics production car will be very much what you see and you will be surprised at how the car will arrive for production with minimal changes. Using the term i8, the production car of the concept is not a competitor for premium sports cars such as the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 etc it is more of a Sports car concept for the future. A completely stand alone concept.

Although there have been cries of "needing a V8 , V10 etc" to do so defeats the ideals of the concept and turns it into another premium sports car. Although the Audi R8 etc have their attributes in the end of the day it is an interpretation of a sports car concept by the respective manufacturer. They offer the same image but in their own unique way.

BMW wants to use their interpretation as something entirely alien , something that has never been done before something that really stands out and not as a competitor but a pioneer. Afterall it is a BMW.

Hmm, you could level that statement at any car in the premium segment though?

How do you mean? Surely this BMW is the only "glorified Volt" that's due on the market? The only other range-extended hybrid due is the Fisker Karma.

As far as price goes though it's a long time since BMW released a car worth $200,000. People will undoubtably pay it (Aston Martin have had no trouble getting orders for the One-77 which is a good four times the price of the next most expensive Aston) but it's still a lot of money to pay for a hybrid.

Well, maybe it's just me, but the Tesla is a lot of money for something relatively unproven in the market place, from a manufacturer who doesn't really have a track record of any kind yet... I just think it is logical for people to have more faith in the BMW.

Possibly so, but there's still not a great deal to prove with something like a Tesla. Yes it's a car, but it's theoretically not a great deal more complicated than an R/C car. The batteries are essentially like those you find in the average laptop, the chassis is the hugely proven Elise-based one, an electric motor is an electric motor (one moving part - not complicated) and the body isn't something you can get massively wrong anyway.

.. as a side note, my company (the company for who I work) is somewhere in the supply chain for Tesla body bits... and they already done some moronic things.. only little things, but things which irritate me hugely - so maybe I'm biased!

There's a large difference from being involved in the chain of production and having working cars out on the road ;) I once did a tour around the factory where they used to make the seat squabs for every Ford Transit sold around the world. They used ammonia in the production of the foam and it stung the eyes of everyone working there every day. I'd say that's pretty irritating but it doesn't make the Transit any less of a vehicle :sly:

Check out this article on Bimmerpost... the poster, SCOTT, is a known BMW insider..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471342

I particularly like this bit :

I'd agree, it's not a competitor for any of those cars until those companies bring out alternative-fuel competitors (which they will), but that doesn't make it a lot of money for a diesel-electric BMW with styling best described as suiting those with an acquired taste...

I'd stress I'm not objecting to the car per se, I just think it's a mistake releasing something so expensive, and if they were to charge that much for it, it'd be more prudent making a fully-electric vehicle with a usable 300-mile range say and the same sort of performance. And given a 2013-2014 release date, a good 300 mile range is more than possible given that Tesla have been offering 230 miles in a car of lighter weight for a good few years now.

It's still a hell of a lot of money for a glorified Chevy Volt though.
If it was all-electric, wouldn't it just be called a "glorified Tesla Roadster"...?

If it'll cost $200,000, it'll cost $200,000. The people who think it's just another eco-car will scoff at the ridiculous price. The people who make six figures and like BMWs will consider buying it. And the people who think it's a great example of the sports-oriented evolution of hybrids and other "alternative" vehicles will ignore the price (how many people have to "worry" about whether it's worth the money anyway?), and appreciate what it brings to the table.

If it reaches production looking the same as it does now, there will also be its effect on exterior design trends -- and we all know other companies pay attention to BMW, after the wave of "Bangle copycats" of the '00s. I can't imagine that body shape looking "old" anytime soon.

Personally, I like the rumored prospect of six-cylinder engines in the M3 and this thing more than anything else.

How do you mean? Surely this BMW is the only "glorified Volt" that's due on the market? The only other range-extended hybrid due is the Fisker Karma.

As far as price goes though it's a long time since BMW released a car worth $200,000. People will undoubtably pay it (Aston Martin have had no trouble getting orders for the One-77 which is a good four times the price of the next most expensive Aston) but it's still a lot of money to pay for a hybrid.

Well, a Bentley could be called a glorified A8, which could be called a glorified A4, etc. etc. Most cheaper cars will offer the same concept of motoring as their much more expensive counter-parts, i8 to Volt is like Porsche 911 to Ford Fiesta.. it still uses petrol to drive an internal combustion engine to drive 2 wheels to get you from A to B. One's faster round the track, and the other has a bigger boot....

... and yes, it's a lot of money to pay for a hybrid, but then it's a lot of money to pay for any car, the fact it's a hybrid doesn't mean it should be cheaper, does it?

Possibly so, but there's still not a great deal to prove with something like a Tesla. Yes it's a car, but it's theoretically not a great deal more complicated than an R/C car. The batteries are essentially like those you find in the average laptop, the chassis is the hugely proven Elise-based one, an electric motor is an electric motor (one moving part - not complicated) and the body isn't something you can get massively wrong anyway.

Fair point, I understand that... but if it was that easy, wouldn't everyone be doing it? either way, the BMW brand is attractive because it has built a reputation for itself over decades... I think many people would (rightly or wrongly) treat the Tesla with the same scepticism as Kia, or Tata.

I have nothing against Tesla's product as it stands BTW... and...

There's a large difference from being involved in the chain of production and having working cars out on the road ;)

I know this, but MASSIVE inefficiencies owing to thoughtless or badly managed design processes REALLY bug me (and no we didn't design the bits ;) ), to be fair - nothing we make ends up on Bimmers, so maybe the same could be said of them.

I'd agree, it's not a competitor for any of those cars until those companies bring out alternative-fuel competitors (which they will), but that doesn't make it a lot of money for a diesel-electric BMW with styling best described as suiting those with an acquired taste...

Well, this statement is largely subjective... to me the R8 is expensive for an ugly car, and Porsches epically stale design of the 911 is offensive to me, both are good cars if I ignore the styling.. either way.. BMW won't try and justify the price based on whether or not you like the styling..

I'd stress I'm not objecting to the car per se, I just think it's a mistake releasing something so expensive,

Like you say, the price people pay probably won't be based on Logic - we'll call it One-77 syndrome if you wish ;)

.. but that's not a crime, infact it keeps the supercar and hypercar pictures on kids walls... NOBODY needs a Veyron....? Is a Reventon worth paying a couple of times more than a standard Lambo whateverario? No... but they still sell, the same will be true of the i8.

and if they were to charge that much for it, it'd be more prudent making a fully-electric vehicle with a usable 300-mile range say and the same sort of performance. And given a 2013-2014 release date, a good 300 mile range is more than possible given that Tesla have been offering 230 miles in a car of lighter weight for a good few years now.

Why would it be more prudent? This car, or pretty much any BMW purchased new cannot justify its price based on Fuel economy?

This will do ALL my commuter distances fully electric, and can drive me to my favourite UK race track, which happens to be in Scotland (a different country), without stopping for fuel. The Tesla won't. IF I could afford either, the BMW would make sense, if I could only afford the Tesla I could probably still afford a diesel estate car AND an Elise (one worth buying (a.k.a. the older one)).. so therefore the case for the Tesla isn't clear cut either...

Basically, neither is a logical choice for the money... you have to WANT to buy the car.

I think the price should be a bit lower than that because BMW has yet to finalise anything and that is just a rumour. $200,000 is a bit too ridiculous for an Eco-Supercar...

Why? Porsche is planning on releasing the 918 Spyder & it's an eco-supercar as well for $600,000+. And it's obvious people will buy it; 200 people showed interest in just 5 months after its revealing.

Why? Porsche is planning on releasing the 918 Spyder & it's an eco-supercar as well for $600,000+. And it's obvious people will buy it; 200 people showed interest in just 5 months after its revealing.

Oh. Pardon me, didn't see that one coming... :dunce:

Little info, and probably a bit of great news for me and some BMW enthusiast! The BMW Vision ED concept will be featured in the upcoming Mission Impossible 4 movie alongside the latest 6-Series which due somewhere in this year. The car looks exactly the same as the one being used during a little filming in Dubai, also suggested more BMW cars to be featured in the movie.

img0840jn.jpg

[Source = BMWBLOG.com]

Autocar says the i8 will or might get a gasoline engine instead of the 3-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine the current prototype is using. Quoted from Dr. Klaus Draeger, ''as we want to sell it all over the world. Diesel is only really relevant to Europe”. It sounds a bit like a turnaround.

Linky

Yeah, that is weak.

It's compromising the project-i thing in order to sell more cars in the US.. I see the logic, but it goes against the concept in my opinion. It's not the first time BMW have f'd something up just to appease the american market. :(

I love the design of the i8. Hopefully BMW will also provide us with a regular range of cars based on the same chassis (or at least, on the same design).
Otherwise, I hope someone will stuff an S85 in there. Someone's bound to do it.

I love the design of the i8. Hopefully BMW will also provide us with a regular range of cars based on the same chassis (or at least, on the same design).
Otherwise, I hope someone will stuff an S85 in there. Someone's bound to do it.

I doubt there will be much to share between the i8 and regular cars, since the entire construction of the car is about centralising and lowering the weight of the batteries, I doubt there is a compartment large enough to fit the S85 in! And no standard drivetrain to hook it up to. I don't know, it might be possible?

I doubt there will be much to share between the i8 and regular cars, since the entire construction of the car is about centralising and lowering the weight of the batteries, I doubt there is a compartment large enough to fit the S85 in! And no standard drivetrain to hook it up to. I don't know, it might be possible?

I'm actually expecting them to use a somewhat modular chassis to work from. I doubt that they're going to build a car that's supposed to sell more than just a few hundred cars on a frame that can't be shared with anything else, that's where the idea comes from.
Basically, I could see BMW divice a frame that can be hooked up with a 'subframe' which contains the hybrid-specfic drivetrain and one that comes with a traditional one.

If that's not the case, though, it should be damn near impossible to fit a large engine in there.

Then again... There are some powerfull i4s out there... Stuffing one of them into an i8 after ripping the batteries and stuff out, replacing the original engine, might result in a very light and reasonably fast car...

Basically, I just want to believe that someone's going to come up with a way to keep this (in my opinion) awesome design to be 'wasted' on an econo-car.

I think it's quite sexy for a highly futuristic design. It's too bad that the production version will look very little like that due to silly aesthetically-restrictive Governmental safety laws. 👎

It's the best BMW I've seen in a while. Love the rims. Lately they've been just looking the same way, and the new 6-Series looks awful from the rear-angle.

Hope it'll be turned into a racer or something. Now that'd be cool. 👍

I still cannot figure out how something hitting that thing from the side will be anything near safe, especially if said thing's bumper slips between the sheetmetal and the lower glass pane.

and those do exist.

BMW Concept i3 & Concept i8 revealed

1.jpg

Concept i3
125kw, 250Nm
0-60 kph: 3.9 seconds
0-100 kph: 7.9 seconds
batteries charge in 6 hours (standard socket)
1 hour of recharge provides around 80% of battery capacity using high capacity charger
150km range
200 liter boot space
4 doors
Market Launch: 2013

Concept i8
High performance 3-cylinder petrol engine (164 kW) in rear with i3's electric motor (limited to 96 kW) in front
Total torque of 550 Nm (300Nm petrol engine + 250 Nm electric motor)
3 driving modes - electric, petrol, or both engines at once
1,480 kg
0-100kph (62mph): 4.6 seconds
Top speed: 250kph (limited)
2.7 L/100km fuel economy
35km pure electric range
4 seater
50:50 distribution
Market Launch: 2014

SCOTT from Bimmerpost confirms that see through doors won't see prodcution, but the rest of them are pretty close to production design.

I think they both look brilliant, the i8 especially. I can see them looking pretty good even without the transparent doors as the basic shapes are right. Certainly no complaints about performance for either of them too.

Can't see either being cheap but for someone with the money an i8 in particular would be very tempting. M-car performance and 104/87 miles per gallon UK/US. 35km pure EV would easily be enough for most people around town but the petrol engine gives it that bit extra, like a posh Chevy Volt.

Most people with Volts seem to be getting on well with the tech too. One owner is getting the equivalent of 3000mpg because he commutes within the Volt's EV range and the only time the engine has started for him so far was for the maintenance mode that ensures everything is in working order.

I hope these are no-compromise, functional designs because they're uglier than sin.

This car looks like a token attempt by BMW to release a "green" car.

Might as well just give it a diesel.

If you think you can get 4.6 second 0-60 times from a 1500kg, 90mpg diesel, then good luck to you. There's a lot more to these BMWs than greenwashing.

homeforsummer
If you think you can get 4.6 second 0-60 times from a 1500kg, 90mpg diesel, then good luck to you. There's a lot more to these BMWs than greenwashing.

Agreed, BMW make great diesel engines (2.0 twin turbo with 200bhp in the 123d to name one), but we are a long way off those specs.

Having said that, didn't the original Vision Efficient Dynamics Concept have a 1.5 3cyl diesel/electric hybrid powertrain?

Having said that, didn't the original Vision Efficient Dynamics Concept have a 1.5 3cyl diesel/electric hybrid powertrain?

Yeah, they did. Maybe when running as a generator they found a petrol engine more favourable in terms of smoothness and quietness without a significant drop in fuel efficiency.

A petrol engine's emissions tend to be naturally cleaner too so in a model focusing on reducing emissions they're immediately off to a better start.

Back