BMW i EfficientDynamics - i3 confirmed to be a RWD, Mid-Engine car.

• Thread starter Prince.M5
  • 344 comments
Yeah, they did. Maybe when running as a generator they found a petrol engine more favourable in terms of smoothness and quietness without a significant drop in fuel efficiency.

A petrol engine's emissions tend to be naturally cleaner too so in a model focusing on reducing emissions they're immediately off to a better start.

That could well be the case, but.. IIRC at the time it came off the back of a statement that basically said Americans won't buy a premium diesel vehicle.

MatskiMonk
That could well be the case, but.. IIRC at the time it came off the back of a statement that basically said Americans won't buy a premium diesel vehicle.

That will change over time, when US prices reach the same as over here in Europe, clean diesels will appeal a lot more.

Ah. Didn't think of that. Americans wouldn't have touched it if it came with a 3-cylinder diesel.

Scale model of the production version of the BMW i8. It will debut at Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

1935889693361429389.jpg

15151411232032665954.jpg

Info on the production i8 Press release on the i8
BMW i8 Technical specifications (preliminary).

Body

No. of doors/seats 2 / 4

Length/width/height in. mm 184.6/76.5/50.9 4689 / 1942 / 1293

Wheelbase in. (mm) 110.2 (2800)

Weight, unladen (DIN)- lbs (kg) 3285 (1490)

Air resistance Cd 0.26

Drive system

Technology combustion engine
BMW TwinPower Turbo turbocharger, High Precision Direct Injection VALVETRONIC fully variable valve control

Config/No of cyls/valves In-line / 3 / 4

Capacity, effective cc 1499

Output hp/kW 231/170

Torque lb-ft/Nm 236/320

Technology electric motor
BMW eDrive technology: hybrid synchronous motor with power electronics, integrated charging module and generator mode for recuperation

Output hp/kW 131/96

Torque lb-ft/Nm 184/250

System output kW/hp 362/266

Torque lb-ft/Nm 420/570

High-voltage battery

Storage technology Lithium-ion

Driving dynamics

Drive concept Hybrid-specific all-wheel drive, combustion engine driving the rear wheels, electric motor driving the front wheels

Tires front/rear 195/50 R20 / 215/45 R20

Rims front/rear 7J x 20 alloy / 7.5J x 20 alloy

Transmission

Type of transmission combustion engine 6-speed automatic

Type of transmission electric motor Automatic, two-stage

Performance

Acceleration 0–60 mph s < 4.5

50-75 mph s < 4.5

Top speed mph (km/h) 155 (250)

Top speed electric mph (km/h) 75 (120)

Range miles (km) > 310 (500)

Range electric km approx 35

Efficiency in EU cycle

Combined mpg (US) </= 95

CO2 g/km </= 59

Last edited:
Can't wait for the proper unveil!

4 years since the Vision EfficientDynamics concept! The wait for this car has felt like the longest one in history!

For those who haven't seen it:

That sound, when he fully lets it rip, is awesome. Somewhere between a Porsche's flat six and the more familiar BMW inline-six. But with a slightly deeper tone. Really looking forward to having a go in one of these in the next few years...

This, along with the i3, have been THE two cars I have mostly been looking forward to over the last few years. I'm a little bit sad they've moved the windows on the side of the car up for a more conventional design... but it still looks epic.

Both the concepts have been on display at a BMW dealership in London... I always stop and stare at them for a couple of minutes every time I pass. :lol:

Its amazing that these 'i' models are actually entering production looking like concept cars. Very exciting and better than much of what BMW has offered in years. I could see these even cannibalising the uglier normal range.

In other colours:-

Sophisto Grey Metallic with blue BMW i Accents
i81.jpg

Sophisto Grey Metallic with frozen grey BMW i Accents
i82.jpg

Protonic Blue Metallic with frozen grey BMW i Accents
i83.jpg

Crystal White pearl effect with BMW i Blue Accents
i84.jpg

Crystal White pearl effect with Frozen Grey Accents
i86.jpg

Ionic Silver metallic with BMW i Blue Accents
i85.jpg

This is actually a nice sporty hybrid. Makes a lot more sense than the 918 and P1 since it's not about raw performance. Though its so nice, it makes me wonder what a non hybrid version would be like. I think I can let this one pass though.

It's a hybrid? Hell, looking as corny as it does I assumed it was hydrogen.

The white and the black both look great in the photos, but having seen this car up close and personal (at least in concept form!) I think it looks much better in the flesh too.

It is $135,000.. probably around £100,000 or &#8364;115,000 I'd guess...

I'm a massive BMW fan but, If I had £100,000 to spend on a car, I wouldn't buy this. If I was a millionaire and could spend as much or as little as I wanted, I would buy this car, I find it beautiful and fascinating.

Loved this shape since we first saw it in the Homage concept. They massaged out the iffy parts and really pulled it off brilliantly. 👍 👍

Crystal White pearl effect with BMW i Blue Accents
i84.jpg

This would be my choice. Even though white and various shades of blue have become a bit stereotypical of hybrids in recent years, it's still a great combination - the car looks great as it is, but white/blue really accentuates its modernity too.

Cannot wait to get a drive in one of these at some point. I'll never be able to afford one, but I'm still yet to find the EV that I'd truly spend my own money on if I had the cash.

This would be my choice. Even though white and various shades of blue have become a bit stereotypical of hybrids in recent years, it's still a great combination - the car looks great as it is, but white/blue really accentuates its modernity too.

Cannot wait to get a drive in one of these at some point. I'll never be able to afford one, but I'm still yet to find the EV that I'd truly spend my own money on if I had the cash.

I think the white will look good in the right surroundings... and the white and blue very much echoes the original Vision Efficient Dynamics car... although I have to say, in real world pics, I like this combo:

BMW%20i8%203.jpg

I'd rather have chrome kidney surrounds though.

The i8 looks pretty good!

Not even a Tesla?

Not even a Tesla?

Oddly not. I'm hugely impressed by it (though again, not driven one yet) but there are a few factors that put me off it for the time being. The first is simply over-exposure - in my line of work I don't just have to write about it, or the company, or Musk on a frequent basis, but have become familiar with the fanboys too and the whole thing gets wearing after a while.

The second is that to me it kind of feels like the Nissan GT-R of electric cars - a little cold and calculated and unemotional. Maybe it's because there are no preconceptions with the Tesla brand, maybe it's because the styling is a tad generic (if easy on the eye). With the i8, I appreciate how much of a departure it is from other BMWs yet has immediately become one of its most desirable models; the Model S is simply what Tesla does.

I like that it's smooth, BS-free and well-proportioned, but it also breaks no new ground and I like a bit of originality now and then.

Still, it's essentially exactly the design they needed - it's a unique enough car as it is and making it look too fancy wouldn't be great for its success. I think Tesla itself has said they played it safe with the styling.

Cold, calculated, and unemotional? Jeez, is that what you think of me too? Because you've only seen me on the internet as well. :P

About as calculated as a frathouse party, methinks.

-

That i3 looks really purty.

Cold, calculated, and unemotional? Jeez, is that what you think of me too? Because you've only seen me on the internet as well. :P

Hah. I'm sure you aren't. It's hard to judge without driving I know, but it doesn't have the je ne sais quoi I like in cars. Sounds cheesy, but I think a few more character flaws to the car would improve it for me. As it is, it seems like some robot car from the future sent here to be good at basically everything, and therefore a bit sterile.

I like the comment...
Police say it appears that a 911 rear ended the i8, though the driver (and front end) of the offending vehicle are nowhere to be found

Shame about the car, but as a test vehicle it was probably due for the scrapheap soon anyway.

In other news public i3 test drives have begun... want a go.. sign up here http://testdrive.bmw-i.com/ . I may just give it a go myself :D

Back