BMW i EfficientDynamics - i3 confirmed to be a RWD, Mid-Engine car.

• Thread starter Prince.M5
  • 344 comments
155/70R19

7247i0060A8FC3C15388C

Al_Capone.png

:lol:

I have read that test myself and it was just trying to find random reasons to put the i3 into negative light, while making it sound like all the disadvantages the e-Golf has are not important.
The i3 won the test. The negative things they mentioned are all those mentioned in basically every other test I've read of the car.

And there aren't any real disadvantages to the Golf - I've driven it myself and it basically delivers everything you'd expect from an electric car like that. I've driven the Leaf also, and I agree with their assessment on that too.

How'd you find it, @kikie?
edit: Seems they also did a seperate test which includes the Leaf.
Indeed. The one @MatskiMonk was quoting and I assumed we were all responding to...

And the results are different because everyone has their own opinions. Contrary to popular belief, auto journalism isn't a stale discipline where testers are required to weigh up objective merits of various vehicles and assign every aspect of a car equal weight in their conclusions. Personal preference is a large part of it, just as it is for people actually buying cars.

In other words, one tester may prefer the Golf because it's more practical, less weird and more refined than the BMW.

Another might prefer the BMW because it goes further on a charger using less energy, it's more technologically advanced and has a more innovative interior.

I've not driven the i3, but I have driven the e-Golf and Leaf, and Auto Bild's assessment on each of those matched my own findings - so imagine they're fairly accurate on the i3 too.

How'd you find it, @kikie?
I have driven several electric cars but this one is the best so far. The i3 drives even smother than all other electric cars, including the Leaf. It feels like a normal automatic when driving. The only thing getting use to is the deceleration once you let go of the throttle. I have not had to use my brakes.
The interior is a very nice place to be in. It's odd but it doesn't bother at all, not even the displays instead of a conventional dashboard. The only thing I didn't like about the seats was the seat itself, not the back of the seat, but the seat itself didn't give enough support when turning at higher speeds. It is a very spacious, comfortable and beautiful interior. It doesn't feel like it's a "special" car.

The acceleration is immens. It goes and it keeps on going. I don't care for the looks of the BMW i3 to be different anymore. Once you have driven this car, you don't care how it looks, it's that good to drive.

BTW, it doesn't look that bad at all IRL, certainly not in matte black.

I want one! :D

I have driven several electric cars but this one is the best so far. The i3 drives even smother than all other electric cars, including the Leaf. It feels like a normal automatic when driving. The only thing getting use to is the deceleration once you let go of the throttle. I have not had to use my brakes.
The interior is a very nice place to be in. It's odd but it doesn't bother at all, not even the displays instead of a conventional dashboard. The only thing I didn't like about the seats was the seat itself, not the back of the seat didn't give enough support when turning at higher speeds. It is a very spacious, comfortable and beautiful interior. It doesn't feel like it's a "special" car.

The acceleration is immens. It goes and it keeps on going. I don't care for the looks of the BMW i3 to be different anymore. Once you have driven this car, you don't car how it looks, it's that good to drive.

BTW, it doesn't look that bad at all IRL, certainly not in matte black.

I want one! :D

Do it!

The only thing getting use to is the deceleration once you let go of the throttle. I have not had to use my brakes.
That's one of my favourite things about electric vehicles. Known as "one pedal driving". Once you get used to how the car works and get used to timing stops correctly, you can drive around so smoothly and easily. On the e-Golf drive in Berlin I only ever used the brakes to come to a complete halt, as the e-Golf has a creep function like a regular auto. I believe the i3 may not even have that so it'll pull to a complete stop when you lift off the accelerator. It's really neat.

I wonder if the breaklights come on when decelerating without using the break pedal?

Before I drove the i3, I prefered the e-Golf, just because it's a normal Golf. But as of today, I think - I still have to test drive the e-Golf first - I prefer the i3 instead.

They do, to my knowledge, beyond a certain rate of deceleration.
Good, thanks.

Did the interior trim change at all on the production model there? I sat in a pre-production one a few months ago that they had at an auto show and I wasn't quite sure what to make of the "wood" that was on the doors and dash. The seat material looks different too. I assume this i3 is a different trim level? A sporty one?

Did the interior trim change at all on the production model there? I sat in a pre-production one a few months ago that they had at an auto show and I wasn't quite sure what to make of the "wood" that was on the doors and dash. The seat material looks different too. I assume this i3 is a different trim level? A sporty one?
They have 4 different interior "worlds" that you can choose. I've seen the two shown below. The first one is really nice, I'm not usually a fan of grey and black interiors but the i3's left me very impressed. There is some cheapness but it still feels a lot more expensive than a 3 series. Everything is very airy and spacious, and the overall design is fantastically futuristic, but subtle. The seats are great, too. I later saw the bottom interior, and frankly I thought it looked disgusting. Diarrhea yellow and off white don't go together, and the yellow colour is just generally unpleasant.

I believe they are called Loft and Lodge, respectively. I've yet to see the Standard (what kikie drove) or Suite.
2014_bmw_i3_149_1024x768.jpg

Interior9.jpg

Our local dealers had a few press cars that BMW was bringing around to dealers across the country to let people test them a few months ago. The tests were for "exclusive invite" only. Man I would love to have had a go in one of these, even though I'm not in the market for one.

Those cars would have amazing ingress-egress for old people if they made the seats swivel out.

Those cars would have amazing ingress-egress for old people if they made the seats swivel out.
Not quite. The distance between to seat and the floor of the car is to small for older people to get in and out easily. They would have to lift their legs too high to get "ingress", even when a seat swivels.

If you install a seat that not only swivels out but also goes up and down while getting inside the car, you could be right.

For example, it's easier for older people to get in and out of a Fiat 500 than this car. Unless you could adjust the BMW i3's driver's seat up so they would not have to lift up their legs as much.

What? If the seat swivels outward, they can just sit down on it, and then swing around. The chair is already at a normal seated height.

What? If the seat swivels outward, they can just sit down on it, and then swing around. The chair is already at a normal seated height.
Nope, they still need to lift their legs to be able to get in the car, wether your seat swivels or not. Believe, since my father has become disabled due to a medical blunder, I found out that it is not that easy for older people, even if they are not disabled, to get in a car.

Example

They even designed the Renault Capture especially for elder people to get easier in and out of a car.

The BMW i3 is not the easiest car the get in and out, if you have problems ingress-egressing (is that even a word?). I know because I drove one and a BMW dealer told me on the phone that it is not the easiest car to get in and out, if you're older or you have problems, like my father.

Yup. It's kind of a regular car's driving position, just higher up. Rather than a more typical high-up seated position where your legs are lower in the cabin.

Nope, they still need to lift their legs to be able to get in the car, wether your seat swivels or not. Believe, since my father has become disabled due to a medical blunder, I found out that it is not that easy for older people, even if they are not disabled, to get in a car.

Example

They even designed the Renault Capture especially for elder people to get easier in and out of a car.

The BMW i3 is not the easiest car the get in and out, if you have problems ingress-egressing (is that even a word?). I know because I drove one and a BMW dealer told me on the phone that it is not the easiest car to get in and out, if you're older or you have problems, like my father.

If they can't pick their legs up, why would they be driving?

If they can't pick their legs up, why would they be driving?
It's legal to drive with conditions like arthritis (at least in Europe), even if it's not overly wise. My grandparents have bought a car with relatively high seats (but a relatively low floor) for exactly this reason - it ensures they remain mobile but it's easy to get in and out of.

Yep, the old A class was very popular among old people for this reason alone.

Regarding the i3: Has BMW commented on what happens with i3s/i8s when they get scrapped? I mean you can't really reuse carbon fiber.

Regarding the i3: Has BMW commented on what happens with i3s/i8s when they get scrapped? I mean you can't really reuse carbon fiber.

It's been on the agenda since the start of the project. http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2231581/bmw-and-boeing-to-collaborate-on-carbon-fibre-recycling

No solid answer I know, but i3's are 95% percent recyclable materials according to BMW. Also, there do seem to be other businesses out there recycling CF - the first hit on google http://www.elgcf.com/

Back