Bmw M5

• Thread starter spon
  • 58 comments
All orange golds isnt that hard, M5 was better than I expected BTW.

Indeed - ran them up last night. The M5's handling is dominated by its weight - it goes like stink, but it certainly takes some stopping!

I got the M5 last night, and was more than a little disappointed with it. Sure it goes like stink, but there's no skill in that really, anyone can make a car go fast. The car design talent lies in how well the thing handles (IMO), and braking is part of that equation. So for me, the M5 is rubbish, just because it's brakes are more than likely taken off a Skoda. Joking aside I'm not BMW's greatest fan, so that might have something to do with it.

Cheers

Jamie

Well it has a better braking distance than the SL55 AMG and the Viper GTS. And it's a darn sight faster than both cars, so I like it.

Originally posted by j8mie
So for me, the M5 is rubbish, just because it's brakes are more than likely taken off a Skoda.

oi.. lay off the skoda!

(ok, so I've uprated the pads n fluid, the standard setup *was* pretty poor, could fade it out pretty easily)

:D

i spent the last 3 days trying to get the first two tests in the orange section to be gold. the other 4 were quite easy. and at 00:35 last night i finally manged it. But i left it until after school to drive it. i must say the brakes are dissapointing but its doesnt half go. when i told my friend about how much i been trying to get this car he simple said "adict"

does anyone find that the 2nd camera, the first exterior one is too close and makes the M5 look too big? I drove that Honda thing MPV and it was abit smaller, but in real life BMW M5 is def smaller. Camera seems in a crap position!

Yeah that 1st external cam wasn't much help in GT3, and the same could be said about it in GTP. I have found the 2nd external cam much more useful, espically when trying to see the road ahead.

Cheers

Jamie

Originally posted by j8mie
Yeah that 1st external cam wasn't much help in GT3, and the same could be said about it in GTP. I have found the 2nd external cam much more useful, espically when trying to see the road ahead.

Cheers

Jamie

There was only one external cam in gt3, wasn't there? I found that cam very good. The current cam in gt4p is lower than the gt3 cam and that sucks monkeyballs. Now I have to drive with the high cam which is just crap.

2nd cam is great for seeing how close you are to you ghost when you are touching. Such as if you need to beat the ghost by 0.01 secs but you lose sight of it near the end, switch to the 2nd cam and you can see the ghost nicely.

If you ask me, both the external cams in GTP are crap, I think the camera movement is too much compared to the movement of the car. This is actually the first game I am better at with the in-car view than with the external view.

Originally posted by donbenni
2nd cam is great for seeing how close you are to you ghost when you are touching. Such as if you need to beat the ghost by 0.01 secs but you lose sight of it near the end, switch to the 2nd cam and you can see the ghost nicely.

That's the only reason I use that 2nd external cam in GTP. I've had a couple of lessons that I was .2 of a second away from getting a gold, so i could never have the ghos ton without it blokcing my view, so I'd switch to the 2nd external cam to help me see the track ahead.

I always used to play driving games from the external view, but when I learnt to drive, I switched to bumper cam or an inside view, as it was closer to the real thing.

Cheers

Jamie

I find the high cams movement is too tight. And too high.
The low cam is lower than the one in gt3. The car obscures the road, and therefor prevents a nice driving experience. Bumpercam is still the same, but I didn't like that anyway.

Originally posted by driessie
...I think the camera movement is too much compared to the movement of the car...

I can't say I've noticed that a gret deal on GTP, but as I've said, I only use that view when trying to beat a existing time when my old ghost is running in front.

I remember playing NFS Hot Pursuit 2 for the the first time, and there was a external camera view which was shockingly bad. When going through a corner, you would be able to see most of the side of the car before the camera turned as well, it was very off putting, so I never used it.

Cheers

Jamie

yea the 2nd external camera is decent for some lessons but not much use in racing. It feels sort of strange driving while using it, sort of detached.

The bumper cam is easily my favourite for racing although the 1st external used to be good in the other GT games.

Originally posted by spon
yea the 2nd external camera is decent for some lessons but not much use in racing. It feels sort of strange driving while using it, sort of detached.

The bumper cam is easily my favourite for racing although the 1st external used to be good in the other GT games.

But still, the camera hasn't changed much from the one in gt3. In prologe I have great difficulties driving with it while in gt3 it was my default cam. I think there are some minor changes that make this camera unpractical.

But hey, we are going way off topic:P

Originally posted by Race Idiot
Well it has a better braking distance than the SL55 AMG and the Viper GTS.
I suppose you mean the SL500 AMG - well that car stops much too well in my opinion, impossible that a car of that weight stops faster then a 700 kg Elise.

If the M5 is braking even better :confused: ...

... then Yamauchi better stops calling his game realistic.

For braking distances : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/t-44093.html

Originally posted by Buggy Boy
I suppose you mean the SL500 AMG - well that car stops much too well in my opinion, impossible that a car of that weight stops faster then a 700 kg Elise.

If the M5 is braking even better :confused: ...

... then Yamauchi better stops calling his game realistic.

For braking distances : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/t-44093.html

Why wouldn't it be possible for an m5 to brake better than an elise. It could be that an m5 has a bigger braking disks per kg than an elise. Also the elise has no electronic braking help where the m5 does.

Figure this: A Scania truck has a shorter stopping distance than an Opel Astra. It is heavier but it brakes better. How can this be? Well, because of the same reasons as I mentioned above.

there was only one external cam for GT3 and that stank. The escudo filled the entire screen (not that I use the escudo seriously of course, I mean they didn't connect the steering wheel to the wheels!!!

Originally posted by PjotrStroganov A Scania truck has a shorter stopping distance than an Opel Astra. It is heavier but it brakes better. How can this be?[/B]
Cars brake thanks to the friction of brake pads on the braking disk.
Trucks brake thanks to an electrical principle known as 'eddy current'
Click on the link or ask Famine if you want to know more about this, they would present it in english far better than I would do. http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae527.cfm

You can compare the braking performance of a M5 with an Elise or Astra or whatever car, but not with a truck.

Originally posted by flat-out
Cars brake thanks to the friction of brake pads on the braking disk.
Trucks brake thanks to an electrical principle known as 'eddy current'
Click on the link or ask Famine if you want to know more about this, they would present it in english far better than I would do. http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae527.cfm

You can compare the braking performance of a M5 with an Elise or Astra or whatever car, but not with a truck.

Ehmm, this is very useful if you are interrested in trains. But according from what I have heard, trucks use airbrakes to slow down. Or maybe the engine break. Trucks might not use diskbrakes, but the system is still based on frictionbraking.

My previous remark could be interpeted as sarcastic.;)

i quite like the M5, very fast, alot of fun on road tyres with the assists turned off (i never have them on anyway) :cool:
sure the brakes aint too good so just brake nice and early and power through the corner!

weird.gif

Originally posted by yeti
It'll be good when you can stick some decent sport brakes on it and better tyres.

C.
I agree, these seem the most important thing to me now that i'm using a Driving Force wheel (can't afford Pro yet :( ) These wilkl be the first upgrades to my car in GT4, maybe some cheap engine and drivetrain to get a few more horses in under the bonnet ;)

Back