BMX'ers Only

• Thread starter jagdrag77
  • 147 comments
Australia
Australia
I've been into bmx for like four years now and I've found it's a really good form of fitness and release. I mostly ride trails and the occasional skatepark, sometimes street too.

For me, bmx is the best feeling in the world when I'm just cruising along, doing my own thing. Bmx isn't widely known or liked, so I'm asking you people of GT Planet to share your stories of bmx or feel free to post your bike set up 👍

Spread the bmx love :sly:

Last edited:
Yo i ride too, I've only been riding for like a year but I'm getting there. i got a 2011 fit Eddie 3 mostly stock, what bike you got?

Yo i ride too, I've only been riding for like a year but I'm getting there. i got a 2011 fit Eddie 3 mostly stock, what bike you got?

Nice bike man 👍

Mine is a custom Colony 2011 Teddy frame with a variety of Colony and Animal parts.

What type of riding do you do, trails, street?

It's awesome to hear another bmx'er around here.

Nice, street is fun as the ride varies each day, I hope you don't ride brakeless though, I've never seen the point of never being able to STOP.

Does your area have a skatepark? Mine does, but it's always filled with scooter kids -.-

Well I have brakes but I dont use them haha, my parents won't let me take them off. As for the skate parks there's like 4 around me but whenever I decide hey let's go to the skatepark I never end up going.

I had a Haro and a Schwinn back when I was younger, did mostly dirt jumping due to the geography where I live, but I would fool around with flatland riding a lot too. Balance was always a strong suit of mine, so I really enjoyed the flatland.

Sadly, I don't think I've rode much at all in the past 10 years...hockey began to really eat into my time towards the end of high school and I never really got back into it after.

Well I have brakes but I dont use them haha, my parents won't let me take them off. As for the skate parks there's like 4 around me but whenever I decide hey let's go to the skatepark I never end up going.

Well atleast you have brakes. I don't really understand the need not to use them though, do you care to explain that for me? And whats your opinion on front brakes? :sly:

Your town has four skateparks? Very nice mate 👍 I do understand the feeling of not being bothered to go, too many people around sometimes.

I had a Haro and a Schwinn back when I was younger, did mostly dirt jumping due to the geography where I live, but I would fool around with flatland riding a lot too. Balance was always a strong suit of mine, so I really enjoyed the flatland.

Sadly, I don't think I've rode much at all in the past 10 years...hockey began to really eat into my time towards the end of high school and I never really got back into it after.

Ah man those Haro's were awesome back in the day. Flatland, the one thing I don't have a great concept of but I'm keen to try. I wonder if a normal bmx can perform flatland 💡

Last edited:
Ah man those Haro's were awesome back in the day. Flatland, the one thing I don't have a great concept of but I'm keen to try. I wonder if a normal bmx can perform flatland 💡

As long as you have decent front brakes, pegs for the front, and bars that spin all the way around (brake cables thru the inside instead of wrapped around if you know what i mean). I never had a strictly flatland bike, I would just toss my pegs on when I felt like fooling around with it.

I don't really know why i don't use my brakes i never have even when i would just ride my bike (before bmx) and when i got into bmx i still didn't use my brakes. if I'm like bombing a hill i might use them but usually i just drag my feet haha.

Now front brakes, lets see, will my current bike and last bike (2009 haro X1 with lots of custom parts) didn't have front brakes so i haven't used them in a while and i can only do two tricks with the front wheel neither involve a brake, footjams and nose manuals. so i don't really care about front brakes.

As long as you have decent front brakes, pegs for the front, and bars that spin all the way around (brake cables thru the inside instead of wrapped around if you know what i mean). I never had a strictly flatland bike, I would just toss my pegs on when I felt like fooling around with it.

So just front brakes and some pegs, I can manage that. I know what you mean, either with a gyro or the brake running through the stem.

Thanks for the info, I might try flatland some day soon 👍

I don't really know why i don't use my brakes i never have even when i would just ride my bike (before bmx) and when i got into bmx i still didn't use my brakes. if I'm like bombing a hill i might use them but usually i just drag my feet haha.

Now front brakes, lets see, will my current bike and last bike (2009 haro X1 with lots of custom parts) didn't have front brakes so i haven't used them in a while and i can only do two tricks with the front wheel neither involve a brake, footjams and nose manuals. so i don't really care about front brakes.

Ha, fair enough mate. Although I imagine the soles on your shoes must get worn down a fair bit.

I figured you'd say that about front brakes, even I don't use them, I don't know many people who do actually.

And nice, nose manuals are somthing I've been meaning to learn. I mainly just do jumps and flips at the moment :sly:

Ooo yea my shoes get messed up my last two pairs were held together duct tape when my parents forced me to buy new ones. Something else about front brakes, there are some good edits of people who ride with then. I dont know any off the top of my head but I'll pos em later.

You can flip, that's crazy!

Ooo yea my shoes get messed up my last two pairs were held together duct tape when my parents forced me to buy new ones. Something else about front brakes, there are some good edits of people who ride with then. I dont know any off the top of my head but I'll pos em later.

You can flip, that's crazy!

Ha, that kind of reminds me of when I used to skate and my shoes were my brakes too, just make sure not to buy expensive shoes. And that'd be awesome mate, we should start getting some videos on here to show how awesome bmx truely is 👍

And I've been flipping for like a year, having heaps of trails to ride on makes that pretty easy :sly:

I used to ride a lot of street when I was in my teens, years I spent jumping staircases and building ramps over dumped cars. Oh the fun.

I was 12 when I got my first BMX. It was a Ruption TX-5 in frosted matte orange, full 360 gyro stem and 3 piece crank which was added by the shop at my request. It took a lot of punishment and never gave me any problems mechanically. It wasn't the lightest bike being an entry lever bike but all the same was awesome for high jumps as the frame was a tough as iron. First learnt all my basic tricks on this bike; bunny hop, foot jam tail whip, bar spin, manual, and so on and so forth.

Similar to this but it was orange and I had a front brake on mine.
dan-lacey-bike-check01.600x400.jpg

It was also the first time I entered a skate park on a bike as I'd previously been blading a lot on the half pipes. Here's where I skated in my home town. The Rom.

thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx

After getting good on the street at basically riding over anything (air wasn't my strong point, I didn't have the balls to fly) I decided an upgrade was in order to get even more advantage at riding over cars, benches, road works holes and so on.

I bought a GT Dyno NFX in brilliant chrome. It wasn't your average BMX, had nobly tyres (switched for streets after purchase), a micro-frame which was rectangular rather than in cylinder shape and no Gyro. It was in fact a race bike used for BMX dirt racing and was so light it could be picked up by one's little finger.

Here's a picture of the exact model, not my picture though.
-6871905425903620.jpg

I rode this beast plenty of times at the Rom until my knees got so battered at around 20 years old and I switched to road riding on road bikes, but that's all in another thread....

I used to ride a lot of street when I was in my teens, years I spent jumping staircases and building ramps over dumped cars. Oh the fun.

I was 12 when I got my first BMX. It was a Ruption TX-5 in frosted matte orange, full 360 gyro stem and 3 piece crank which was added by the shop at my request. It took a lot of punishment and never gave me any problems mechanically. It wasn't the lightest bike being an entry lever bike but all the same was awesome for high jumps as the frame was a tough as iron. First learnt all my basic tricks on this bike; bunny hop, foot jam tail whip, bar spin, manual, and so on and so forth.

Similar to this but it was orange and I had a front brake on mine.

It was also the first time I entered a skate park on a bike as I'd previously been blading a lot on the half pipes. Here's where I skated in my home town.

After getting good on the street at basically riding over anything (air wasn't my strong point, I didn't have the balls to fly) I decided an upgrade was in order to get even more advantage at riding over cars, benches, road works holes and so on.

I bought a GT Dyno NFX in brilliant chrome. It wasn't your average BMX, had nobly tyres (switched for streets after purchase), a micro-frame which was rectangular rather than in cylinder shape and no Gyro. It was in fact a race bike used for BMX dirt racing and was so light it could be picked up by one's little finger.

I rode this beast plenty of times at the Rom until my knees got so battered at around 20 years old and I switched to road riding on road bikes, but that's all in another thread....

That color sounds very unique 👍

I would imagine three piece crank's would've been a bit dear back in the day, but they can with stand anything.

That skatepark is awesome! I wish ours had a snake run, that park has such a nice flow to it. You didn't have the guts to fly but you could ride over cars? Your brave mate 👍

I've heard about that old GT too, and your right, it could be picked up by one's finger. I miss the chrome bikes to be honest, I've seen a few but they aren't like they used to be.

Ya i keep my shoes cheap but there still kind of expensive, but i wear then until there is literally no sole left. I don't know of any trails near me so, i don't really flip or do huge airs.
here's a video of Adam Banton riding with front brakes.
http://www.odysseybmx.com/videos/adam-bantons-socal-edit/
I don't know how to put the video in the post yet.

Ha, until there's no sole left? Your hardcore, man 👍
I also know the feeling of a soleless sshoe, it's a strangely nice feeling.

That's a awesome video, I'll be sure to post some tomorrow too.

Last edited:
Nice thread idea:tup: I rode for a
Couple years before my back started bothering me and I had to quit, but street and dirt was so much fun, especially brakeless runs down in the city. I never really killed shoes just kept with the flow of a run. I started on a dk sentry, but ended up building a custom from the Eastern nitrous frame, which I still have. The new bike held up to the abuse but I couldn't so it's still like new in the garage. The only part I don't miss was having to move from place to place to avoid "unwanted attention ", it got old. Any way I'll post a picture of it later.

Nice thread idea:tup: I rode for a
Couple years before my back started bothering me and I had to quit, but street and dirt was so much fun, especially brakeless runs down in the city. I never really killed shoes just kept with the flow of a run. I started on a dk sentry, but ended up building a custom from the Eastern nitrous frame, which I still have. The new bike held up to the abuse but I couldn't so it's still like new in the garage. The only part I don't miss was having to move from place to place to avoid "unwanted attention ", it got old. Any way I'll post a picture of it later.

Awesome, another bmx'er joins the thread, welcome 👍

And a dirt rider too, sweet. Brakeless runs down in the city sounds like fun, but kinda dangerous. I've always said don't ride brakeless unless you know what your doing.

A little story on that actually. One day when I was walking my dog I saw this like 13 year old boy flying by on an old GT without brakes. Next minute I see him turn right into the corner which lead to a big hill. I see him trying to stop by putting his feet on the road, not a good idea. Next few seconds he crashed big time :yuck: Atleast he was wearing his helmet though.

Anyways, it's awesome to hear that your a custom builder yourself, I find it's more rewarding then buying straight off the line. I had an old Easter Traildigger I think? That held up extremely well.

I know what you mean by unwanted attention too, but I just say stuff 'em. Bmx is a good form of excersise and release 👍

Last edited:
jagdrag77
Awesome, another bmx'er joins the thread, welcome 👍

And a dirt rider too, sweet. Brakeless runs down in the city sounds like fun, but kinda dangerous. I've always said don't ride brakeless unless you know what your doing.

A little story on that actually. One day when I was walking my dog I saw this like 13 year old boy flying by on an old GT without brakes. Next minute I see him turn right into the corner which lead to a big hill. I see him trying to stop by putting his feet on the road, not a good idea. Next few seconds he crashed big time :yuck: Atleast he was wearing his helmet though.

Anyways, it's awesome to hear that your a custom builder yourself, I find it's more rewarding then buying straight off the line. I had an old Easter Traildigger I think? That held up extremely well.

I know what you mean by unwanted attention too, but I just say stuff 'em. Bmx is a good form of excersise and release 👍

Yea I wouldn't really recommend brakeless to anyone that wasn't sure if themselves. Ive seen a few people bite it from not having brakes, but it feels way cooler.
The unwanted attention was rough, always got threats of fines and being taken down to the station, the local pd didn't like it too much at all. I couldnt really think of too many laws that we were breaking either but they always found some.

Never had any issues with no brakes in London. I used a solo front but my pals went no brake. The only condition at the skateparks was that we wore lids and, if we had them, pads. Lids we a necessary as my local park had seen may a head busted. I wore knee pads (Haro) becuse I had them left over from my sakting days.

Riding cars is what it's all about gents. As soon as you can bunny hop onto a bonnet/ hood, you can ride cars. Completely anti-social, 100% insane fun.

shem
Never had any issues with no brakes in London. I used a solo front but my pals went no brake. The only condition at the skateparks was that we wore lids and, if we had them, pads. Lids we a necessary as my local park had seen may a head busted. I wore knee pads (Haro) becuse I had them left over from my sakting days.

Riding cars is what it's all about gents. As soon as you can bunny hop onto a bonnet/ hood, you can ride cars. Completely anti-social, 100% insane fun.
I rode parks a couple times but it was always a trip to get there, i really didn't like the vert much. I know this sounds irresponsible but I never even owned a helmet, and I payed for it on a couple of occasions. Not the best idea I know but that's what I did.
Riding on cars Sounds like great fun, but with all the trouble I got with the local pd I'd hate to add riding cars to that list:scared:

Yea I wouldn't really recommend brakeless to anyone that wasn't sure if themselves. Ive seen a few people bite it from not having brakes, but it feels way cooler.
The unwanted attention was rough, always got threats of fines and being taken down to the station, the local pd didn't like it too much at all. I couldnt really think of too many laws that we were breaking either but they always found some.

Ya man, in some states its illegal to ride brakeless. I'm no sure about PA (i live here to). i think its kind of a stupid law because you ride at your own risk like that, but oh well a laws a law.

Guitar613
Ya man, in some states its illegal to ride brakeless. I'm no sure about PA (i live here to). i think its kind of a stupid law because you ride at your own risk like that, but oh well a laws a law.

I doubt it is but I've been harassed for it a couple of times by the local fuzz.

Threats of being fined? Man, it must be tough over there. Even though I don't ride brakeless, I know plenty who do and not once have I heard of a fine for that.

jagdrag77
Threats of being fined? Man, it must be tough over there. Even though I don't ride brakeless, I know plenty who do and not once have I heard of a fine for that.

Oh yea they would show up rattle off 5 or so misdemeanors they could get us for ( usually like loitering in empty parking lots, or trespassing) then tell us to go home after they thought they had showed enough authority. We never did go home though:sly: but back to bmx, how far along is everyone? Like bunnyhop 360's 180-360 stair gaps or like tailwhiping around town?

Oh yea they would show up rattle off 5 or so misdemeanors they could get us for ( usually like loitering in empty parking lots, or trespassing) then tell us to go home after they thought they had showed enough authority. We never did go home though:sly: but back to bmx, how far along is everyone? Like bunnyhop 360's 180-360 stair gaps or like tailwhiping around town?

Ha, I liked the part that you never went home 👍

And me, at the moment am mostly doing backflips at the trails, I've only managed to do a 360 twice so far, mid air mind you :sly:

Nothing special but I bunnyhopped a cat last week (don't ask). On the street, last week I managed to do a 180 barspin which felt awesome. I've recently purchased some pegs and I'm in the process of learning how to grind stuff. I've never really been into it, but after watching a few people show me how easy it is, I'm gonna give it a go.

What about you?

jagdrag77
Ha, I liked the part that you never went home 👍

And me, at the moment am mostly doing backflips at the trails, I've only managed to do a 360 twice so far, mid air mind you :sly:

Nothing special but I bunnyhopped a cat last week (don't ask). On the street, last week I managed to do a 180 barspin which felt awesome. I've recently purchased some pegs and I'm in the process of learning how to grind stuff. I've never really been into it, but after watching a few people show me how easy it is, I'm gonna give it a go.

What about you?

Wow backflips:tup:
When I stopped I could 360, 180 stairs/gaps, the usual hopping on and off stuff, 180 x up, heel clickers, no handers and some other stuff that I forget because it's been a while since I rode. It's killing me talking about it and not riding though:D

Back