Bodybuilding then and now

Todays bodybuilders look like anabolic freeks, dont understand why someone want to look like that. Big claim to make, but I think todays bodybuilders use higher dose of steroids. Yeah I know Arnold used steroids, but I think its a reason todays bodybuilders are much bigger, because Arnold trained like a mad man.

Todays bodybuilders look like anabolic freeks, dont understand why someone want to look like that. Big claim to make, but I think todays bodybuilders use higher dose of steroids. Yeah I know Arnold used steroids, but I think its a reason todays bodybuilders are much bigger, because Arnold trained like a mad man.
It actually goes a bitmore beyond that. These guys like Jay Cutler, Live, Eat, Breathe, and sleep Bodybuilding. They've gone way beyond Steriods and are taking Human Growth Hormones.

To give you a comparison. Jay Cutler is 36 Years old, 5'9" tall and at this years Mr. Olympia (Which he won), he weighed in at 270lbs, with less than 3% body fat. I am 36 years old, 5'9" tall and if I were down to 3% body fat, I'd weigh in at about 170lbs. Now picture 100lbs of Steak and that is the body difference between him and I.

Arnold, Franco, Lou, Sergio and others of Pre-Mid 80's BBing took enough Steriods that they had Acne on the soles of their feet. I can't remember where I read that quote so it may be Urban Myth. But you'll see on the Documentary "Pumping Iron", Lou Ferrigno taking mouthfuls of pills.

As a Natural Competitor (Most Natural Comps will Polygraph and Urine Test) the upper limits of the Human body are around 190-200lbs at Stage Presence Level.

Here's another comparison. In the past (just less than) Year that I've been training, I've put on 7lbs of Muscle. That's Seven. I train hard and intensely, and my diet is right on the money. Both my Nutritionist and my Coach have been impressed with that. I've done very well. I'm not bragging, as when you first start, its easier to put on muscle and drop fat. Every Year gets harder to add more muscle. Look at Pako, He's ben training heavy and hard for years, but at his heaviest (as far as I could find) he was at 240 (Or so) lbs. And he wasn't in "Stage Presence" shape ;) . What would he have to do to add 30lbs of muscle to get to IFBB Pro? He's already doing shrugs with Small cars.

So... Where was I going..? Don't know I kinda lost track.

Ahhh... Steriods and BBing, Then vs Now. Or stated differently, Why Isn't Lou Ferrigno Dead? If you look at him in the 70's and then in the late 80's when he came back for the masters, you'll see an incredible difference. You have to wonder, why is he still alive. With all this discussion about how damaging and dangerous Steriods are.

Frank Zane was Symmetrical, Rich Gaspari was Ripped, and Then Haney and Dorian Yates ushered in the "Massive" stage.

Yep, these guys nowadays are absolute Monsters that are (In my opinion) living a death sentence. Willing to go so far and with such risks to attain an unbelieveable size and shape, to be the Pinnacle of their Profession. I could never be that size, or want to, but I certainly admire the single minded determination to put everything else aside and focus so intently to attain that goal.

Der Alta,
I really mean no disrespect at all but 7 pounds in less than a year really is not that good at all. I would be very upset if I only gained 7 lbs after training that long. You should gain that much within the first few weeks. I also dont know your history. Maybe you have already been training a long time. But if you just started this year you should be gaining much more than 7 pounds in just under a year.

I will use myself as an example.
About 5-6 years ago I decided to start training because I have always been a small guy and really wanted to put on some mass. I did a lot of research and decided to train with my bodybuilding friend. I researched ectomorphic bodytypes because that is exactly what I am. Ectomorphic. So after some research I found a guy that gained 30 lbs of in 3 months. So I set that as my goal too and only bought a 3 month membership. With some very intense training and a very strict diet I obtained my goal!! Very very heavy lifting with low reps. Lots of dips and free weight training. I also had to eat 7-8 times a day no joke and I calculated and made all my own food all by myself. I gained right around 30lb and still had 6 pack abs. 10lbs was within the first 2 weeks. 19lbs in 5 weeks. One of the best accomplishments in my life but it truly takes commitment and dedication. My bodybuilding friend could not believe my gains and even people around the gym commented on my gains after such a short amount of time.

So 7 lbs in less than a year is not good at all and I truly mean this as polite as possible.

Back to the point though.. You are right, the only way to look like the people in the vidoe is steroids. My bodybuilding friend even got to the point where he gave up after years of dedication because he refused to hit the roids to compete.

Last edited:
No disrespect taken. What I also didn't mention is that at the same time, I've dropped over 40lbs of fat. Not Bodyweight, but actual fat. My lean mass has gone up 7lbs and my bodyweight has dropped 47lbs, since I started in December. In that time, my body fat has dropped from 30+% to under 12%. Overall, I've just been consistent in everythign I've been doing.

On a BB comp note, I'm going to a competition this coming Saturday (I'll be competing in this same comp next year). It is a Urine tested Natural Competition. It'll be a good comparison with what was shown in the video.

No disrespect taken. What I also didn't mention is that at the same time, I've dropped over 40lbs of fat. Not Bodyweight, but actual fat. My lean mass has gone up 7lbs and my bodyweight has dropped 47lbs, since I started in December. In that time, my body fat has dropped from 30+% to under 12%. Overall, I've just been consistent in everythign I've been doing.

On a BB comp note, I'm going to a competition this coming Saturday (I'll be competing in this same comp next year). It is a Urine tested Natural Competition. It'll be a good comparison with what was shown in the video.
oh ok then that makes MUCH more sense. Dang congrats on the 40lbs of fat loss!! Thats awesome!! I was not aware of your size and BF index. Now your 7 lb muscle gain makes perfect sense over that amount of time. Its always much harder for someone to loose that much fat % and still gain muscle because you have so much more cardio while losing weight plus the diet is much more lean oriented. I assume you probably eat a lot of chicken and fish but this is only a guess. The more cardio you do the harder it is to gain muscle.

People losing BF always have to do a LOT more cardio than someone gaining muscle. My bodybuilding friend had your exact same problem. He struggled with fat loss while trying to gain muslce. He was always overweight. He hated seing my gains in such a short amount of time. I actually think I am the reason he gave up and quit bodybulding. He worked years and years at it and in only 3 months I gained 30lbs of almost all muscle. Keep up the good work and good luck with the competition!! I would love to see some before and after picks of your progress.

Hey guys,

I stumbled upon this thread and saw the discussion about gaining mass... I recently stopped training because it just wasnt working out for me... I have an Ectomorphic build like Camaro Boy (6'1" and 155-160 pounds) had and I trained quite hard for 6 months (average weight, mostly 3 sets of ten)... adjusted my diet to a lot of chicken and fish and took some supplements like Protein shakes and HMB powder... other than that I didnt take anything else... My gains though were minimal while my Endomorphic training buddy was gaining like a mad man... Now does muscle growth differ from person to person in regards to their body type? I just thought that I didnt have the capacity to grow or something... So in a demotivated phase I just decided to stop since the gains after 6 months were minimal... it could be I was doing something wrong along the way... but I am the type of person that can eat ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING and not gain weight... so maybe my metabolism plays a part as well? Any answer would be appreciated, because if I learn more about this I might want to get back to training again... Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

I stumbled upon this thread and saw the discussion about gaining mass... I recently stopped training because it just wasnt working out for me... I have an Ectomorphic build like Camaro Boy (6'1" and 155-160 pounds) had and I trained quite hard for 6 months (average weight, mostly 3 sets of ten)... adjusted my diet to a lot of chicken and fish and took some supplements like Protein shakes and HMB powder... other than that I didnt take anything else... My gains though were minimal while my Endomorphic training buddy was gaining like a mad man... Now does muscle growth differ from person to person in regards to their body type? I just thought that I didnt have the capacity to grow or something... So in a demotivated phase I just decided to stop since the gains after 6 months were minimal... it could be I was doing something wrong along the way... but I am the type of person that can eat ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING and not gain weight... so maybe my metabolism plays a part as well? Any answer would be appreciated, because if I learn more about this I might want to get back to training again... Thanks in advance!

Your body type is EXACTLY like mine. I could always out eat anyone and not gain weight. Until I did what I said a couple posts above.

I see the slight problem already in your program. Too many reps per set and dont eat so much chicken and fish (eat steak or pork) not as much lean foods. You are already lean so stay away from lean mean. For the workout start with 4-6 reps very heavy per set. Fail on your last set almost every time. You will have to have a spotter all the time. Lots of dead lifts, dips, squats, and free weights. Also you need to pound the steak and pork less lean foods. Also lots of cottage cheese and anything and everything must be protein oriented. Your body needs more fatty foods since you are ectomorphic. Also make sure you eat every 3-4 hours. I know it sounds impossible but if you lay out your diet with smaller meals and more of them then it works to allow you to consume more calories and protein overall at the end of the day. You can supliment protein powder wherever you want. Your body needs food especially for our bodytype and genearlly after 3-4 hours it will be starving and feast on your muscles. You have to make sure you are not hungry and always drink water all the time especially if you start feeling hungry. When you are hungry your body will start eating your muscle first. Trust me I did months of research before I went in for my 30lb in 3 months. It worked for me and with a correct diet layout and proper training, you too could put on a surprising amount of mass very fast. I can even go more in detail if necessary.

Ectomorphic guys will want to eat around 5,000 calories a day. I started around 4,000 calories and went up to over 5,000 calories by the 3rd month. As I said, this required calculating out the meals between 7-8 meals a day. And stick to that routine. I forgot my protein intake. 300?? I cant remember. You also need fiber to balance out the protein.
Also ectomorphic guys wont want to do as much cardio and not as many fruits and vegetables. Only enough fruits and vegatables to balance out the protein.

Last edited:
Yes, I do a significant amount of cardio. 20 minutes before and 20 minutes after every weight session.

As for diet, I eat mostly chicken, as the fish gets expensive and time consuming to cook. I buy Rotisserie chicken from my local grocery store. Its already cokoed and its the same cost as buying uncooked chicken and taking the time to cook it.

Blitz, I agree with Camaroboy. eating is the key to everything when it comes to adding muscle. In addition to the Steak and Pork, add some good pasta in there. Oatmeal is good as well.

You thin guys have such a tough time with addingmuscle, where as I have trouble dropping fat. At this point, I'd rather be 170lbs, Ripped and benching 225lbs, than 250lbs, Heavy and benching 350lbs. Hence why my training and diet are geared that way. In the "General Workout" thread, I have posted a "Before" and "Recent" photo. I've also posted my diet and my workouts (Each one as I change it every 6 weeks).

Thanks for the info guys.. I'm going to look into this more and see if I can do some more research for myself... I will definitely take your tips into account 👍

Back