PS4K - Revealed Alongside PS4 Slim as PS4 Pro - General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Eh Team
  • 523 comments
Oh, it's a video game system? The fact that Sony's trying to sell movies, Vue subscriptions, etc. says otherwise. :P

(D'oh! Tree'd!)
One division of Sony makes films, another makes UHD players and another makes games along with a console to play them on - does that mean they should have the UHD player set up to play games too? ;) Their strategy has been clear for some time - the PS4 is a gaming console and true it allows for subscription services which are run by other companies or in partnership, but those are not the prime focus.

What's the problem with people in this thread? It's a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM. Sony learned not to try and be everything to everyone last time around. Why did you expect them to unlearn from the past and spend money on something that is not game related?
They would pass the cost on to us in full plus interest you know.

You mean aside from the fact it wasn't "a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM" when it originally launched, and it certainly not being "a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM" now?

As far as Sony learning not to a jack of all trades last time around, to what are you referring? The PS3 launched with a Blu-ray-capable drive and was the primary (read: cheapest) avenue of obtaining one. So what's the difference here? It wouldn't have affected the price much, if at all.

So, again, what's the difference here? It obviously won't be a death toll for the system, but to excuse such a glaring omission because it's "not their primary focus" is laughable. The Xbox One S features a UHD-capable drive for the same price as a PS4 Slim.

I said it's A video game system. Not ONLY. Don't pretend otherwise. What else they offer doesn't magically stop it from being a video game system.
So what exactly was your point then? Why does it being a video games system mean it shouldn't have a UHD Blu ray drive, particularly when your direct competitor offers a similar system with one at the price of your own cheapest offering.

Last edited:
What's the problem with people in this thread? It's a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM. Sony learned not to try and be everything to everyone last time around. Why did you expect them to unlearn from the past and spend money on something that is not game related?

Considering how important the Blu-Ray player was to the succes of the PS3 in the long run, as well as the DVD in the PS2, I'd say they should be well aware of how important it is to support the latest disc format. Even more so when a significant part of Sony itself revolves around movies and the UHD format.

One division of Sony makes films, another makes UHD players and another makes games along with a console to play them on - does that mean they should have the UHD player set up to play games too? ;) Their strategy has been clear for some time - the PS4 is a gaming console and true it allows for subscription services which are run by other companies or in partnership, but those are not the prime focus.

Playstation Vue. You buy film and TV content from the Playstation Store. You cannot remove/hide the TV & Video section from the PS4 menu, nor can you pin specific TV & Video apps to the top so that you don't have to wade through their suggested apps first. And so on...

Whether said content was produced by another division or even an entirely different company is irrelevant. The bottom line is that they're clearly trying to leverage the Playstation platform to deliver content other than videogames.

And would making a UHD player that also played video games make sense? Yes it would make perfect sense. It should've been the PS4 Pro.

Like I was said.
First off, you think that with the pro branding (and thus the high end version) they can go all out from it. I mean, they have the slim version if people wants cheaper PS4.

Sony can go all out with Walkman with those gold plated board etc. And as far as i know Playstation division were successful. So why not with PS4?

Secondly, what happened when game devs wants to supports 4K gaming by disc? Are those people who buy the game via disc screwed? 4K gaming may not come yet.

Yet. How we can predict the future?

Again, the same company that think uber priced Walkman is a good idea.

Playstation Vue. You buy film and TV content from the Playstation Store. You cannot remove/hide the TV & Video section from the PS4 menu, nor can you pin specific TV & Video apps to the top so that you don't have to wade through their suggested apps first. And so on....
Surely those things only bother you if you let them - I have them and they sit there quite happily ignored, especially now that the folders option moves the used folders to the front and leaves that which isn't used, slide to the back...

The UHD comment was a joke, clearly.

Surely those things only bother you if you let them - I have them and they sit there quite happily ignored, especially now that the folders option moves the used folders to the front and leaves that which isn't used, slide to the back...

The UHD comment was a joke, clearly.
Hes not talking about how you can ignore those menus. He's more about how Sony pushes the Playstation brand outside games.

616ab11cf1c0ff8ebddb56b2e38e83269e7d9ecb9bc8c1c51738ffebfbe5cdb4.jpg

Hes not talking about how you can ignore those menus. He's more about how Sony pushes the Playstation brand outside games.
Yep, and ignoring them is still an effective option. The pushing though is likely a part of the deal made between the provider and Sony - you know how these businesses like to seem aggressive in how they push themselves ahead of others; little victories and all that.

And would making a UHD player that also played video games make sense? Yes it would make perfect sense. It should've been the PS4 Pro.
I bought my PS3 specifically to play BlueRay, as regular players were just as expensive at that time. The gaming only followed after that. Sony could have pulled a similar one with the PS4 Pro, but didn't. Missed opportunity IMO. Plenty of people that aren't into streaming and find it easier to just get a disc at a store than stream or download a gazillion gigabytes. I've been gifted (and have gifted) several BlueRays, don't see that happening with PS Store (or whatever) credit.

Yep, and ignoring them is still an effective option. The pushing though is likely a part of the deal made between the provider and Sony - you know how these businesses like to seem aggressive in how they push themselves ahead of others; little victories and all that.

Ignoring them is an effective option to accomplish what, exactly? Come to the wrong conclusion that PS4 is a box solely meant for games and nothing else? :lol:

My point was just that Sony is leveraging the Playstation brand as a content-delivery platform for more than just games, therefore it's asinine to assert that PS4 is a box meant solely for gaming.

Ignoring them is an effective option to accomplish what, exactly? Come to the wrong conclusion that PS4 is a box solely meant for games and nothing else? :lol:
Like all things on the console, Sony have a way of seeing what is actually used and by how many people - not using those 'apps' gives them an idea of what people are using the console for.

Their initial plan for a more gaming focused console (Sony said this, not me) isn't threatened by the inclusion of TV apps or other stuff such as Spotify, because that way they can see if their original plan was a miscalculation or not, without having to invest too much beyond their original plan. If you remember, it didn't start out with that many apps on-board, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea for your assertion. I don't think it was said anywhere that the PS4 was meant solely for gaming either.

It certainly was said, since someone saying such in this thread was how the entire discussion started. You even liked the post that said it.

Last edited:
Like all things on the console, Sony have a way of seeing what is actually used and by how many people - not using those 'apps' gives them an idea of what people are using the console for.

Their initial plan for a more gaming focused console (Sony said this, not me) isn't threatened by the inclusion of TV apps or other stuff such as Spotify, because that way they can see if their original plan was a miscalculation or not, without having to invest too much beyond their original plan. If you remember, it didn't start out with that many apps on-board, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea for your assertion. I don't think it was said anywhere that the PS4 was meant solely for gaming either.

I'm aware what Sony said during the hype buildup leading to the PS4's launch. But it was PR talk, mainly attacking Microsoft's strategy and how they seemingly weren't focusing on games at all.

And sure, out of the box the PS4 didn't initially have much in the way of apps. But install that day one patch and all of a sudden you've got Movies & TV (populated with a reasonable number of apps for various 3rd party services), along with Sony's own Music and Video Unlimited services front and center on the main menu.

I was originally responding to someone who was emphasizing the fact that the PS4 is a "VIDEO GAME SYSTEM", and that Sony's learned not to try and do everything... as if Sony was leaving multimedia functionality in the dust to focus only on games, and that's why they aren't including UHD functionality with the PS4. That just isn't the case.

The only reason for the lack of UHD support with the PS4 Pro comes down to the fact that Sony doesn't see it as profitable. Streaming and digital distribution is all the rage these days, and people who actually care about owning high quality physical media are in the small minority.

An understandable business decision, certainly. But that doesn't mean that we, as people on the consumer side of the fence, have to like or approve of the decision.

With Microsoft seemingly pushing the XBox to become nothing more than a weak PC, given the fact they're moving towards making all XBox exclusives also available for Windows, and Sony having very few exclusives, or any other reasons, for making the Playstation an attractive alternative to a PC, I'm not seeing any reason to buy another console.

Basically the next Xbox will just be a low end gaming PC, and the next Playstation will be a low end gaming PC with a couple of exclusives.

With Microsoft seemingly pushing the XBox to become nothing more than a weak PC, given the fact they're moving towards making all XBox exclusives also available for Windows, and Sony having very few exclusives, or any other reasons, for making the Playstation an attractive alternative to a PC, I'm not seeing any reason to buy another console.

Basically the next Xbox will just be a low end gaming PC, and the next Playstation will be a low end gaming PC with a couple of exclusives.
Next? Is that not what they currently are? :P

Next? Is that not what they currently are? :P

Yeah, I was more kind of talking about the next Xbox with that comment, because the current one at least started out with some exclusives.

Consoles are no longer fuss-free gaming, and PC gaming is no longer the hassle it once was. These days, console games rely heavily on patches, and suffer from poor optimisation, and the current consoles are trying to do so many things other than games, that they are essentially just crap PCs now lol. Sure, PS4 has a bunch of exclusives you can't get on PC, but PC has way more exclusives, many of which are too advanced to even be possible on console. Let's not even talk about the restrictive nature of consoles, and lack of backwards compatibility.

...An understandable business decision, certainly. But that doesn't mean that we, as people on the consumer side of the fence, have to like or approve of the decision.
Agreed on all counts except the last, a point where we'll probably always differ ;) I suppose that I never really get to the point where I'd dispute a decision like Sony's. I see it as their call and accept that they will stand or fall by what they are doing.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you're more concerned about what is good for Sony rather than yourself or other consumers.
It's important that it is profitable for Sony. The more profitable and larger user base they attract, should generally be better for people gaming on their platform. Even though PS4 has been quite successful, there have been casualties for a number of their gaming studios. Disappointing that Evolution Studios was closed down, I'm sure if they were more profitable, they would still be around and that affects me as a consumer. The less successful something is, the less support it has in general. That may also mean less choice, quality and higher costs for consumers.

For example, I have a phone running BB10 which is QNX based, hardly any support by developers but in the automotive world QNX dominates and has so much support. I’m concerned that BlackBerry will stop making phones, their last phone isn’t as high quality and costs a lot more than their competitors' products and they're getting slower at releasing new products. Loss making is not sustainable unless you have a lot of money to burn which likes of Microsoft does have so less of a concern there. I wouldn't be surprised if they have made big losses on each generation, still I see they get labelled as Micro$oft when they're likely given in a lot more than they got out.
Apart from their resale value off course ;)

As @Samus points out you seem more concerned with what's best for SONY, so you may laugh at the term crusade but when the cap fits......
That's the difference of ownership.

There seems to a crusade against the PS4 Pro from what I’ve seen so far on the Internet. It's not only good for Sony but also for consumers, I wouldn't purchase a PS4 Pro if it offered nothing extra. They're doing a good job of keeping profits up while delivering something competitive early which is not that easy to do when you got competition with the financial strength of Microsoft.
Well, not surprising since he is more concerned about sales rather than what is going on with actual products. Sales really don't mean anything for any consumer, so it's odd to tout it up as a plus for us, in general.
I'm actually more interested in what is going on with actual products, looking forward to the benefits short term and long term. Sales are very important IMO for consumers. I don't game much anyway, hardly used my PS4. Not too concerned by this gen, might get more back into gaming when PS5 releases though.
That must be why they've slowly crept into offering media-based functionality like Vue. You know, the subscription-based TV service that not even Microsoft pushes? The fact of the matter is the Pro lacks a fundamental feature that would further its appeal to the very market it's reaching for; a feature that the lesser Xbox One S offers without any changes to its hardware structure.

Which is really odd and is, again, a flaw: to push 4K and HDR but not offer physical media playback that capitalizes on those features? As for your suggestion of Sony possibly revising the platform next year with such a player is even more nonsensical than not having one in the first place.
That's not their main focus for the console, I only heard of Vue because you just mentioned it and looking at, it's also available on other platforms for a very limited market so I'm not surprised I haven't heard of it before. Streaming is Sony's area of focus regarding media, they made that quite clear. I don’t think that will be important for PS4 Pro success though given most TVs can do much of what PS4 Pro can do. The very market they’re reaching for I believe is people who want an enhanced PlayStation experience. That could be people looking to see improvements in 1080p displays like I think a large number of their target audience may have and also PS VR has rather than only people who want better graphical fidelity on their higher resolution displays. To me a fundamental feature of a gaming console is its ability to play games, not playback of UHD Blu-rays.

A flaw or positive if it means lower cost of entry for consumers and it arrives sooner for gamers? It competes with the 2TB S, 1TB less and lack of UHD drive for the Pro but three times the GPU power. It's interesting seeing the reaction on the Internet being so negative for the Pro and how important suddenly 4K disc playback is given how small the market is at the moment. There’s probably more demand for PlayStation steering wheels. It will be good if suddenly demand for that UHD format has a massive surge in sales, I'm sure Sony will react positively to that. Maybe they could also release an external drive.

Personally think if they were going to include UHD disc player, it wouldn't be until around Spring 2017 they would be able to release it. That's when their first standalone player will come to market. It will be probably first UHD Blu-ray compatible laser by Sony. I think it will be nonsensical to have one in the first place when writing was on wall long before that it’s likely won’t be the case of it having one. I’m grateful they included 1TB, that I think will be more beneficial than say 500GB and UHD drive to their target audience. I do think they will release a revised model, especially if 10nm is viable next year and they get their new drives in manufacture in enough numbers in time, should then have a slimmer Pro with a cut price to go up against Scorpio.

It ain't worth it; debating the usual crew so just add them to the ignore list a.k.a the best GTP button.

Ah the ignore button, the favourite of ignorant people who like to argue and make baseless claims, but don't like to back those claims up. So much easier than trying to defend your position hey?

You've got just 72 posts and you're already adding people to your ignore list? I bet you're gonna be a real valuable member of the forum :lol:

Ah the ignore button, the favourite of ignorant people who like to argue and make baseless claims, but don't like to back those claims up. So much easier than trying to defend your position hey?

You've got just 72 posts and you're already adding people to your ignore list? I bet you're gonna be a real valuable member of the forum :lol:
Was the Vegemite expired?

Back