Boffin's photography gallery - Hello again, old friend(s)

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 293 comments
Quality shots as usual mate. 👍
Personal fav from this batch is the car emerging from the gloom next to the yellow line. Just draws me in. 👍

All of them in the last batch of A1 pics are brilliant and very useable. You absolutely get how to play the magazine game. Hope everything works out for you and we see your work published soon enough 👍 it's fully deserving of it.

Also glad to hear you wouldn't have trouble working for several clients, over here the publishing house I work for still won't let you find more clients. Fortunately, there are several magazines to work with in here, but there have been a couple of work chances I've had to pass up that seemed promising.

Wonderful pictures. 👍👍👍 Car,tones, weather conditions,all the places that you have chosen for a photo - I really like how everything is in harmony in these pictures.
And post #255... Pure awesomeness :drool:

You take some amazing photo's mate! Love the ones from the Sydney Retro Speedfest.

Cheers mate, thanks for visiting! Glad you like them! :)

Quality shots as usual mate. 👍
Personal fav from this batch is the car emerging from the gloom next to the yellow line. Just draws me in. 👍

Thanks Shaun. That shot is one of my favs too and I think people usually miss everything thats going on when I show them such a small crop of it. It will be the cover of the printed document I'm putting together! :cheers:

All of them in the last batch of A1 pics are brilliant and very useable. You absolutely get how to play the magazine game. Hope everything works out for you and we see your work published soon enough 👍 it's fully deserving of it.

Also glad to hear you wouldn't have trouble working for several clients, over here the publishing house I work for still won't let you find more clients. Fortunately, there are several magazines to work with in here, but there have been a couple of work chances I've had to pass up that seemed promising.

Hey thanks Cano, that's much appreciated. Its always great to hear from others that I am on the right track with this sort of stuff and while I have a good idea of my areas that need the most improvement, its great to know I'm getting there! 👍 :D Funny you should mention all of that. Now reading the contract they sent me, it looks like I might have some trouble working everything together, but I am in talks with them as one of their regulations is a borderline dealbreaker if I can't negotiate with it.

Wonderful pictures. 👍👍👍 Car,tones, weather conditions,all the places that you have chosen for a photo - I really like how everything is in harmony in these pictures.
And post #255... Pure awesomeness :drool:

Why thankyou! Glad you noticed it all! :embarrassed::dopey:

Loving the Audi shots on #270. I think the only two shots that would benefit from tweaks or changes is shot number 1 and number 4.

I feel like the first shot is a bit cramped and would benefit from a wider angle'd perspective. For the forth shot, I feel like it would have been nicer if the Armco wasn't in the way, but it's not like there is much you can do about that :P

They're still good shots.

The fog shots are top notch.

Loving the Audi shots on #270. I think the only two shots that would benefit from tweaks or changes is shot number 1 and number 4.

I feel like the first shot is a bit cramped and would benefit from a wider angle'd perspective. For the forth shot, I feel like it would have been nicer if the Armco wasn't in the way, but it's not like there is much you can do about that :P

They're still good shots.

The fog shots are top notch.

Cheers awfully for the feedback man! :D

The first shot you speak of is actually a close crop of the original shot, but I feel with that you lose a bit of the sense of action with the full frame. The pan is not THE longest thing I've ever done (to make sure I got the car crisp first time round, as it was pissing down) so the extra info from the non cropped frame isn't overly exciting and I feel it benefits from the close crop as I really love the detail of the droplets coming off the front wheels. Also, the general aim of the shot was the action corner shot, so I needed to make sure the car was taking up most of the frame, not the surroundings. :)

As for the armco, there were plenty of opportunities to get a shot without it (in fact I am pretty sure I took some), but it's terribly easy to crouch down and take a generic side-on pic of a car. I know a lot of people hate having things in front blocking the subject so I know a lot of people would agree with you, but I basically work by the notion of expecting people to already know how the car looks and then using the environment to help me tell the story of where it is and what its doing (I know that sounds SO much like artistic nonsense). :P

11885034_10153431241016858_1960558296477438280_o.jpg

Unashamedly ripped from Instagram/FB - but my freelance photo brief got published in Wheels Magazine! Shame the cap at the bottom is cropped out - it was the only tangible prop relating the subject to the story :P
Hopefully this is a good stepping stone for more to come!

Dude, enormous congratulations. You have taken the first step and it can only go upwards from here. Being in print is quite the special feeling, I know it quite well. Keep on going, your work deserves it 👍 and do keep us posted about all of it!

Excellent stuff Boffin. 👍

Being Wheels it's nothing to sneeze at as it's one of our better car mags.
Hope it leads to more for you.

Congrats Boffin :D 👍 The first step of many I am sure.

Have you bought all the copies off the local newsagent?

Major congrats! Looking forward to seeing and hearing of more of your stuff getting published as I'm sure this is just the start! 👍

Dude, enormous congratulations. You have taken the first step and it can only go upwards from here. Being in print is quite the special feeling, I know it quite well. Keep on going, your work deserves it 👍 and do keep us posted about all of it!

Excellent stuff Boffin. 👍

Being Wheels it's nothing to sneeze at as it's one of our better car mags.
Hope it leads to more for you.

Congrats Boffin :D 👍 The first step of many I am sure.

Have you bought all the copies off the local newsagent?

Major congrats! Looking forward to seeing and hearing of more of your stuff getting published as I'm sure this is just the start! 👍

Cheers awfully everyone! I hope to make the transfer over to cars at some point but yeah I'm happy with the foot-in at the moment :D

Not much from me really. I don't have much time to shoot and when I do, I don't really feel like holding a camera after taking repetitive shots all day. I'll get my mojo back eventually and start shooting a bit more. Also think I have a niggling issue with the D800e's autofocus, which is just another thing that needs to get fixed.

This is a shot from a client magazine. Never published as apparently the provided copy wasn't good enough (thank heavens), but I have finally been given clearance to add it to my portfolio.

Hero Front

by Alastair Brook, on Flickr

Sharpened for fb so click for big blah blah

I'M HECKIN' BACK!

Hi guys, thought I'd blow the dust of this old chestnut. Really I have been adding more stuff on my instagram than anywhere else atm, but it was actually the support of GTP back during my first few months with a DSLR that really helped me, with both warm fuzzy things people had to say as well as the all-helpful critique, so for that I shall be forever thankful. (please don't look at the first few pages of this gallery :P )

New year, new me - and all that other gubbins. Really pushing to get back into shooting for fun this year, ahead of a planned trip to Europe to do car things in (their) summer.

I hope to add the backlog throughout a few weeks that has built up but for now I'm working on shots from a local Cars & Coffee. (well, 'Machines & Macchiatos' for whatever reason, although 'canines & cappuccinos' seems more appropriate).

Playing with tones these days - doing the same stuff bores me so we're playing around, more to come soon!

Doggo by Alastair Brook, on Flickr

Please tell me if you hate this and please don't hesitate to remind me if this place runs dry and you want to see more stuff, I linger quite regularly 👍​

Me again. Just a little update and perhaps an explanation as to why it's been dead around here..

I have taken up a full-time gig shooting for multiple automotive magazines, pretty much the top ones of Australia. Once I work a way to get my older work stuff cleared, I'll throw it up here. I've seen and done some amazing things in my short time of working there as those following my insta might have caught a glimpse of. Just thought some of you would like to know! ( as in @Cano :lol: )

Here's some cheeky ones from a few automotive things I sneaked out before I started. Apologies, I think these are all sized for the 'gram. I may dribble some more out.. Comments, interactions, berations, waves of hello welcome!

Glad to see you around here again, and of your instagram account so I can see some of your content more regularly! Cracking work as always.

Dude, I absolutely knew you could pull it off, the talent was there in spades, you just needed the chance. Super duper glad you finally got it 👍

These last ones are not from work, right? Come on, post at least some small samples of the stuff you've done for the mags!

Glad to see you around here again, and of your instagram account so I can see some of your content more regularly! Cracking work as always.

Cheers man! Sad that it's dropped off for me around here - everyone was a major help getting that first gust of wind under my wings. Hopefully when everything settles down around here I can be a regular again...

Dude, I absolutely knew you could pull it off, the talent was there in spades, you just needed the chance. Super duper glad you finally got it 👍

These last ones are not from work, right? Come on, post at least some small samples of the stuff you've done for the mags!

Thanks man! :D

I am currently in talks with the big wigs to be able to put some stuff up on insta. If/when that happens, I'll put something in there but I doubt I'd be able to post directly. Not begging for follows, y'all can just look and leave, but it's easier to get clearance for that site...
Super proud of some of it though - it's amazing how much I have learnt in the 3 months I've been there. :embarrassed:

Thanks man! :D

I am currently in talks with the big wigs to be able to put some stuff up on insta. If/when that happens, I'll put something in there but I doubt I'd be able to post directly. Not begging for follows, y'all can just look and leave, but it's easier to get clearance for that site...
Super proud of some of it though - it's amazing how much I have learnt in the 3 months I've been there. :embarrassed:

Yeah, try to post up some stuff, or at least link us to articles that you have photographed... are there any online?

Back