Boffin's photography gallery - Hello again, old friend(s)

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 293 comments
As always, you have a great eye for capturing the little details. The sheer variety you get also amazes me.

I also remember seeing some of these in the past already. 👍

Cheers awfully! I think variety is key actually, especially at track events. You see a lot of people on facebook with their photography pages, and all their track events ever feature is panning. For me, panning gets boring after a few frames (unless you do it differently each time). Its more proving that you know the technique and can do it, but for the large part, its the same amount of blur, at the same part of the track, but the cars are different, and that does nothing for pushing your own skills. Thats why largely I shy away from the action stuff - because there is so much more to shoot at the track (even though I rarely go). 👍

And yeah I shot it about 6 months ago with the main aim to use for that zine I made. Hence some repetition in composition. :)

The panning on the blue Mustangs is just sublime.

And really liking the MG shot from the garage - the bokeh bits that I assume are water drops are lovely.

On the earlier bit about versatility, you have to remember I shot 90% of my trip to India and Europe on 19mm equivalent and 135mm primes. Zooms are kind of a crazy thing to me, between the weight/cost/apertures, and I don't think I'd know how to handle composing if I could change focal length anymore :lol:

Thanks! That MG one was a weird one so I am glad you like it.

HAHA so many times I have crouched and moved around to correctly frame only to realise that I did indeed have zoom, so its not always at the forefront of my mind.

Awesome work @Boffin. There is just so much texture and mood, and the lighting is fantastic. :cheers:

The image of the guy sitting in the MG looking at you is magic. And the one of Jim Richards (?) is worthy of a car magazine spread. It looks like you caught him in the comfort of his own home, not a race car.

Cheers mate! The Jim Richards was done in about a minute with off camera flash. He was a champion to talk to and it was great getting him (and John Bowe) in my Zine, seen further up the page.

Some really gorgeous shots in that group Boffin.
I'll echo the thoughts on the Jim Richards shot, brilliant. 👍

Thanks Shaun! Much appreciated :)

So the other day I tagged along for the 3rd Zen Garage photowalk. For those not in the know, Zen Garage is a rather popular Sydney based hub for cars and culture, which is run almost completely online. It's worth giving their facebook page a follow if you are that way inclined. It was a cool opportunity to finally meet some other really cool photographers in Sydney whose work I have seen online and generally network with people. (I'm kicking myself that I didn't at least mention it to @Mike Rotch ). There were people from all levels, from pros to some people who rocked up with an iphone, and all were welcome. The walk went for about an hour and a half of bumbling around at our own pace. At first I was feeling the pressure and it was hard to get in the groove. I found it was a challenge finding subjects and angles that weren't done several times over by everyone else.

untitled by alastairbrook, on Flickr

@Boffin no worries mate, know that I know it exists, I'll keep an eye out for the next one ;). Where was it - LaPa or North Head?

Pic of the pics is the 2nd from top for me. Lovely contrast and detail in the clouds - looks like an oil painting in its arrangement of cloud 👍.

Last edited:
@Boffin

The photos are looking a bit over-sharpened to me.
I know it's not your fault (when I see the original files at 1500px on flickr they look perfect).
What I think is happening is that you're resizing/sharpening the photos before uploading to flickr, and then flickr resizes and sharpens them again when you share them.

If you also notice this, I would suggest you uploading the original file to flickr (which doesn't necessarily mean that people get to see/download the full-size image) and then simply share the desired dimension. In my opinion, that's usually the best way.
If not, ignore everything I've said. :D

@Boffin no worries mate, know that I know it exists, I'll keep an eye out for the next one ;). Where was it - LaPa or North Head?

Pic of the pics is the 2nd from top for me. Lovely contrast and detail in the clouds - looks like an oil painting in its arrangement of cloud 👍.

LaPa for this one! 👍 Cheers

@Boffin

The photos are looking a bit over-sharpened to me.
I know it's not your fault (when I see the original files at 1500px on flickr they look perfect).
What I think is happening is that you're resizing/sharpening the photos before uploading to flickr, and then flickr resizes and sharpens them again when you share them.

If you also notice this, I would suggest you uploading the original file to flickr (which doesn't necessarily mean that people get to see/download the full-size image) and then simply share the desired dimension. In my opinion, that's usually the best way.
If not, ignore everything I've said. :D

Yep! Thats exactly what I was doing and i can see what you are saying. I would be WAY more worried if it looked terrible at full size so at least its only flickr :P. I am not used to something working better than photobucket (where their resizing performance is seriously lacking), so I am still finding the midground. I will also mention that these initially are meant for use on their website as giving everyone who attended a shout-out, and I didn't want to do two versions of the same-sized jpg.

Will certainly look into it for next time, cheers. 👍 👍

I'll second this.

I love the second and fourth shots though 👍

Thankyou! :)

This is me...but my friends aren't very good at taking photos. :lol:

Looks good mate.

Thanks! And yeah I wanted to keep it rather light hearted, so I basically cracked jokes about how photographers are usually the ones with the worst photos of themselves (haw haw). Most resumes I have seen are far too serious with a perfect photo included. I simply can't stand out if I do the same..

Another reason why I put it in is because some people might not understand the bits on the cover are jokes, so I just wanted to make the angle clear. :P

I like a lot!

Page 18; safetly

And Wagga Wagga is a weird name :lol:

Cheers! And thanks for the typo! Won't worry too much about it as it is part of a design I did last year (and not the main part of the writing part of the resume) and also because I have already printed 20 copies off on rather nice satin stock.

ALSO, Wagga Wagga can be a funny name to people overseas, but there are other Indigenous Australian names that are even better, check this out! You obviously haven't heard of Tittybong or Manangatang haha.

Let's hear some of those dad jokes then :P. Looks great!

Cheers! I would tell you one of my jokes, buuut you'd have to hire me lol.

Very quirky and refreshing Boffin - very cool 👍

Much appreciated mate!

So I spent some time designing the resume to send out to magazine offices and such. Same deal with the previous zine that I put up - a lot of the design work goes into the actual formatting of it rather than the designs inside, and how the photography ties in with everything. Feel free to have a look.

http://issuu.com/alastairbrook/docs/alastair_brook_resume_zine_web/1

Looking good. Quite like the out of focus selfie for the first spread, and the bit with the "Hello" page bleeding into the full page image is something I'll be borrowing :sly: But I won't be bringing the orphan along.

I feel the photo work pages are a bit out of sync to me, as they feel crowded without space between images. That's my critical two cents :P

Wagga Wagga made me chuckle a bit, then I remembered we've got a Walla Walla here in Washington, along with a long list of native names most people can't say right.

I needed to get back to the track, so I did!

Sydney Retro Speedfest!

Untitled

by Alastair Brook, on Flickr

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

C&C very welcome!​

This is all kinds of awesome. Utterly brilliant shot :drool: 👍.

Thanks! My hunt for an automotive photography job isn't going as smoothly as I'd hoped, so I am trying to also work on the trackside stuff to make myself sellable. One of the things I am trying to do is find new angles, which is how this came about, so I'm glad it payed off.

Lovely shots mate, really enjoying the tones.
👍

Cheers awfully! I spent some time on them to get the mood I was after :)

Absolutely loving the shots. Your portfolio is very nice. I like that you included some anecdotes in parts of it. I've seen some portfolios that my friends have put together, and it feels as if they've left the human-ness/personality out of it.

Good stuff. 👍

Spot on Boffin as always. Nice captures.

Much appreciated! 👍

Absolutely loving the shots. Your portfolio is very nice. I like that you included some anecdotes in parts of it. I've seen some portfolios that my friends have put together, and it feels as if they've left the human-ness/personality out of it.

Good stuff. 👍

Cheers awfully! :D :cheers:

Dude, all of those. I specially enjoy the portraits of racing people and these kick. Car shots are awesome too. All is awesome.

Last edited:
I'll start posting up some automotive features that I have been doing. My big aim has always been to get into car magazines, and then perhaps down the road, move into the writing side. Sadly the industry is terribly hard to get into and really all the proper dream factories are in the UK, so I am just chipping away at it, getting my name out there with a bit of unsolicited stuff and see where it takes me.

(shots were sharpened for FB, uploaded to Flickr, so any sharpening issues etc etc etc)

Audi S1

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

by Alastair Brook, on Flickr​

Absolutely love the first two. :drool:

I know it was dreary out but it looks to me that if you brightened the car up a touch in the last shot, similar to how the second shot looks (with a tick less "punch"), that one would be stellar.

Those are all pretty usable from an editorial standpoint, while also not being completely documentary stuff and staying an art form. I can totally see the first one as the opening spread of a mag article with white letters and detail shots or a spec sheet on the black trees part, and then turning the page brings you to the rear picture, again with white text and detail shots inserted in the black space. Cut-off pictures like the one with the car moving are a no-no, at least where I work, but the shot itself seems like it would have been quite usable too. I'd say you wouldn't have a bit of trouble getting into it from a photography standpoint.

TB
Absolutely love the first two. :drool:

I know it was dreary out but it looks to me that if you brightened the car up a touch in the last shot, similar to how the second shot looks (with a tick less "punch"), that one would be stellar.

Thanks! Those first two are supposed to be the hero shots, so both are made up of about 4-5 exposures to properly light up the car. Certainly take the most effort to conceptualise and realise, so I am glad they stood out for you! As for the last shot, I really wanted to focus more on the thick fog and how the running lights make it look like its lurking in the depths, so lighting the car wasn't the biggest priority (also it would have been ruddy hard being stood still on a public road with thick fog around :P ). But cheers for the feedback and I'll consider it next time! There is another shot were I take the concept to the n'th degree, which I'll post up with the next lot. 👍 :D

Those are all pretty usable from an editorial standpoint, while also not being completely documentary stuff and staying an art form. I can totally see the first one as the opening spread of a mag article with white letters and detail shots or a spec sheet on the black trees part, and then turning the page brings you to the rear picture, again with white text and detail shots inserted in the black space. Cut-off pictures like the one with the car moving are a no-no, at least where I work, but the shot itself seems like it would have been quite usable too. I'd say you wouldn't have a bit of trouble getting into it from a photography standpoint.

Yep you basically got where I was heading with them. 👍 I framed the first one to be the headlining DPS and all of that. You also picked up that that cropped one is from a bigger shot and while it IS usable, I have another (again, I'll post it up with the next lot) that does the 'whole car' thing a bit better. I have seen magazines use cut-off shots, but yeah, they aren't the most common things.
I am talking to people in the industry and all the feedback is that my stuff is up to scratch (which is amazingly great) but the fact of the matter is no one is hiring and a LOT of offices aren't even responding to my requests for a postal address to send my resume to in the first place. I'm in Sydney and most of the magazines are in Melbourne, and I don't want to move unless there is guaranteed work, which there isn't right now. Same for moving overseas. Gah...

But thanks heaps for your encouraging words! :cheers:

Last edited:
Yep you basically got where I was heading with them. 👍 I framed the first one to be the headlining DPS and all of that. You also picked up that that cropped one is from a bigger shot and while it IS usable, I have another (again, I'll post it up with the next lot) that does the 'whole car' thing a bit better. I have seen magazines use cut-off shots, but yeah, they aren't the most common things.
I am talking to people in the industry and all the feedback is that my stuff is up to scratch (which is amazingly great) but the fact of the matter is no one is hiring and a LOT of offices aren't even responding to my requests for a postal address to send my resume to in the first place. I'm in Sydney and most of the magazines are in Melbourne, and I don't want to move unless there is guaranteed work, which there isn't right now. Same for moving overseas. Gah...

I hear you about the work situation. Me slipping in as a photographer was absolutely serendipituous. The pulishing house back then had just one excelent photographer that did all of the stuff for all the mags all by himself and everything worked out due to a big miracle or something, but all the work went trough with just one guy. Then one day he was like "dude, I'm moving to Germany next week to get married. ktxbye". You can more or less imagine the chaos.
One of the mags he worked for was our "aftermarket" mag, which was always the smaller one and all that stuff, but was without a photographer all the same, so I asked the guy in charge if I could try my hand at it. He of course said yes, and from one week to another I was game. From there on I just got better and better and my work opened more doors in the other magazines and e-zines. It also helps that I also write basically everything I shoot, so I take an entire problem away from them. Most of the time I have carta blanca on what I shoot and feature, which is a great and fun way of working, really 👍

I hear you about the work situation. Me slipping in as a photographer was absolutely serendipituous. The pulishing house back then had just one excelent photographer that did all of the stuff for all the mags all by himself and everything worked out due to a big miracle or something, but all the work went trough with just one guy. Then one day he was like "dude, I'm moving to Germany next week to get married. ktxbye". You can more or less imagine the chaos.
One of the mags he worked for was our "aftermarket" mag, which was always the smaller one and all that stuff, but was without a photographer all the same, so I asked the guy in charge if I could try my hand at it. He of course said yes, and from one week to another I was game. From there on I just got better and better and my work opened more doors in the other magazines and e-zines. It also helps that I also write basically everything I shoot, so I take an entire problem away from them. Most of the time I have carta blanca on what I shoot and feature, which is a great and fun way of working, really 👍

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one finding it hard to get into. I am currently scratching the surface atm, as I have completed a small brief for quite an established magazine in Australia, so I am hoping they give me further work as they seem happy with it all. On top of that, I have been offered a full time gig taking dealership photos but apparently said magazine don't think there is an issue with me accepting the role and being offered further work by them in the future. But basically the whole free flowing freelance situation is something that I really want to aim for.

--------

Further S1 photos (again, sharpened for FB, uploaded to Flickr etc etc etc) :

Untitled by Alastair Brook, on Flickr

I'm also in the process of formatting it all into a print document, so hopefully that will help show what I was thinking when I shot each frame. 👍​

You take some amazing photo's mate! Love the ones from the Sydney Retro Speedfest.

Back