Boffin's photography gallery - Hello again, old friend(s)

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 293 comments
Really liking it all. Very clean feeling with the typesetting on photography, which is also quite nice - hint, show us more of your work :P Only thing I find a bit out of place is the column setup for the responses from Michael Betar; the left-to-right height increase throws my brain at first.

How is working with issuu? I've been thinking about putting a collection of my work together with write-ups and publishing to there, just trying to figure out the time/content.

Cheers @Azuremen ! Photos are on the way - that was for a uni assessment and I was itching to do full edits on all the photos from that classic car day, which I'll work on now that uni has ceased.
I know what you mean on that spread, but I tried to lay each one out differently and that was the best result I could come up with on that one, considering the dark positive space of the RS4 I had to work with (plus it would be the same as the previous page).

As for issuu, I have no immediate problems with it but I have really only used it as a means to digitally display some of the my multi-page assessments. I'm sure someone somewhere would have an issue with it (haw!) but all I did was save the inDesign files as PDF single page sans bleed and the site did the rest.

👍

Orright! A month or two back, the lads and I went on a trip to Japan. I took over 1k photos and I could have easily kept on editing them except for the time and the space they would have taken up, so I limited it all down to about 60-70 shots, which I'll let out in a series of posts. So we'll start off with the journey and day one in Tokyo.

Untitled by alastairbrook, on Flickr

It's a shame everyone can't just explore the whole image at full res. The D800e picks up an awful lot and I find when I upload them to my Facebook page they just lose the small details I loved in every shot I picked. Anywhoooo...

I apologise for the somewhat fluctuating interference from the watermark. I guess I have just had a few recent bad experiences with people using things...

Feedback is of course always welcome. Come and say hi!

Last edited:
I went to Japan in December and have daily withdrawals ever since. Your pictures don't help me! Really capture the feeling of the place. Nice pics!

Everyone and their mother go to Japan lately. Go screw yourself.

Also great pics of the fish market, but this one takes the cake for me:
16810490421_95f303169a_c.jpg

I went to Japan in December and have daily withdrawals ever since. Your pictures don't help me! Really capture the feeling of the place. Nice pics!

Thanks for dropping by! I am glad I was able to catch the feeling of it all, its really what I was going for. :) Feel free to keep an eye out for the rest of them when they come in the next days.

Everyone and their mother go to Japan lately. Go screw yourself.

Also great pics of the fish market, but this one takes the cake for me: *image*

Ahh glad you picked this one, its also one of my favourites but a lot of people just glaze over it! Those two behind the counter were working so hard while also trying to teach us some Japanese. Seemed a shame not to get a photo of it all..

Lovely vibrant pics. I am not sure if its your secret sauce in PP or the camera/ lens complimenting your eye, but your photos always are so rich and full of colour and texture.

My favourite is the guy in the blue gloves slicing fish. Great capture.

Last edited:
Lovely vibrant pics. I am not sure if its your secret sauce in PP or the camera/ lens complimenting your eye, but your photos always are so rich and full of colour and texture.

My favourite is the guy in the blue gloves slicing fish. Great capture.

Cheers awfully!

Have to admit, there are two people who seem to have such a beautiful style and that's you and @35mm

Such lovely captures and I can't wait for the others to come up. I really want to head out to Japan but time and cost are limiting factors at the moment. Maybe someday.

I also am taken with the nice lady serving. Ever since watching Jiro Dreams Of Sushi I have a strange obsession with Japanese food preparation and the environments they're in. I also like the fish market ones for the same reason.

Thanks for sharing.

Have to admit, there are two people who seem to have such a beautiful style and that's you and @35mm

Such lovely captures and I can't wait for the others to come up. I really want to head out to Japan but time and cost are limiting factors at the moment. Maybe someday.

I also am taken with the nice lady serving. Ever since watching Jiro Dreams Of Sushi I have a strange obsession with Japanese food preparation and the environments they're in. I also like the fish market ones for the same reason.

Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure, and thanks for dropping by! I have much respect for @35mm 's work so that's much appreciated! :D

Lovely pics Boffin, do keep them coming. 👍

Urrrrrhghhhh.... FIIIIIIIINE...

(cheers heaps ;) )

The next set will be sumo wrestling and Daikoku Futo PA. Perhaps the weakest of the photos but still ones that I enjoyed taking and playing with (although its hard to get different shots of sumo when you are stuck in one spot at the back of the stadium - shame the cropped photos don't show the faces like the full res files). Daikoku in itself is a great story which I am writing something on, so I might try reformat it into another zine. Those now following me on the new Flickr page will have seen these already :/

Excellent photos, Boffin. There's also so much interesting things going on in them, and I absolutely love the rich, beautiful colors and textures that your photos have.

Keep them coming!

Excellent photos, Boffin. There's also so much interesting things going on in them, and I absolutely love the rich, beautiful colors and textures that your photos have.

Keep them coming!

Much appreciated for the feedback dude! Cheers awfully for coming back and looking at them! :D

I'll post up the final lot, even though if I can properly work out Flickr, it seems most of you have seen them already...

I think this is some of the stronger stuff I did..

All of the landscape shots are simply stunning.

Thanks very much for the kind words and dropping by :D

Errr not exactly sure what you mean by that?? :P Was pretty cool seeing such a well known GT spot in real life.

Awesome stuff. 👍

Cheers awfully champ!

Have you gotten hired by Nat Geo yet?

LOOOOL I WISH!!! (would wish more for EVO mag but Nat Geo would still be froth worthy for anyone). Thanks!

Stunning mate, love these two the most. The first sucks me into it completely and the second adds so much personification to the chap in the background, its like you can see what he is thinking 👍

I really love people telling me these things (and it happens all the time) because I reckon those are two of the weakest in the last set. I mean I still like them (otherwise I wouldn't have put them up) but I am glad other people like them more than some of the other ones... 👍

Everything just looks so damn clean - subject matter and execution. Particularly like that Porsche shot earlier in the set. Is the 14-24mm as amazing as I hear, and what lenses did you travel with?

Your vision of Japan certainly offers a stark contrast to India.

Everything just looks so damn clean - subject matter and execution. Particularly like that Porsche shot earlier in the set. Is the 14-24mm as amazing as I hear, and what lenses did you travel with?

Your vision of Japan certainly offers a stark contrast to India.

Cheers dude! I never really expect people to pick up the subtle reasons why I choose some shots over others but everyone seems to have which is nice. 👍

A year on from owning the 14-24mm, I can only liken it to owning a Koenigsegg; Technically, it does what it is designed to really really well, and it gets a lot of looks when you bring it out., but it isn't the most versatile thing. There are only so many shots you can take with a wide angle before one grows bored and the portfolio starts lacking. That said, its the sort of thing where if you have to have one, its the best one to have.
Given the chance from purchase day to replace it with the 24-70 instead (I decided to go with the 14-24 and the 70-200 of the 'holy trinity' range of Nikon glass), I wouldn't. Sure, I would probably use the 24-70 way more thanks to a shooting style somewhat shaped by my press experience (and I wish I had it in the fish markets) but the wide angle shots draw a crowd, and I make do with a Tamron that fills most of the gap that I knicked from my parents' old 35mm days.

I travelled with the 14-24mm 2.8, the Tamron, the 70-200mm 2.8 and a cheap nifty fifty.

👍

As always, you have a great eye for capturing the little details. The sheer variety you get also amazes me.

I also remember seeing some of these in the past already. 👍

The panning on the blue Mustangs is just sublime.

And really liking the MG shot from the garage - the bokeh bits that I assume are water drops are lovely.

On the earlier bit about versatility, you have to remember I shot 90% of my trip to India and Europe on 19mm equivalent and 135mm primes. Zooms are kind of a crazy thing to me, between the weight/cost/apertures, and I don't think I'd know how to handle composing if I could change focal length anymore :lol:

Awesome work @Boffin. There is just so much texture and mood, and the lighting is fantastic. :cheers:

The image of the guy sitting in the MG looking at you is magic. And the one of Jim Richards (?) is worthy of a car magazine spread. It looks like you caught him in the comfort of his own home, not a race car.

Last edited:
Some really gorgeous shots in that group Boffin.
I'll echo the thoughts on the Jim Richards shot, brilliant. 👍

Back