Borderlands 3

• Thread starter MeanElf
  • 212 comments
I can understand that Steam users might want all their games in one place, especially on a platform as well established as Steam, though.
For a PC user, this is just a minor annoyance. I already have Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net and the Bethesda launcher. I can handle another. :lol:

However, from a commercial perspective there's a lot of sense in having competition in the landscape as this keeps prices down. And the cut that Epic takes from the publisher/dev is a lot less than what Steam takes. That's why publishers/devs are switching mostly.

I like how Ubi/Uplay handles it: they give you credits (1 per EUR spent) and 100 of them give you a 20% discount (while still receiving credits for the remainder of the price, so it's usually hardly anything) if you order with them directly. Compare that to the Playstation Store for instance (one of the reasons I'm never going back to PS ever again, it's borderline extortion).

Compare that to the Playstation Store for instance (one of the reasons I'm never going back to PS ever again, it's borderline extortion).

You're comparing a PC store to PS store.
Uhm.
If you can have other stores on the PS itself then it could be comparable.

For me, I would like to have BL3 on the PC and on Steam.
But I just got into BL on the Playstation more (Due to the long outage it had)

So waiting 6 months won't be hard for me.

You're comparing a PC store to PS store.
No, comparing open market vs monopoly. It's great to have more than one source for games, because it keeps prices low for us consumers. I really don't understand why people would want a single platform. It puts all the leverage and power to the owner of the platform instead of the consumers and the developers, driving prices up and quality down.

If you can have other stores on the PS itself then it could be comparable.

Unless the game you want to buy is only on one store, in which case there's no difference.

For me, Epic store exclusivity is a problem because Valve does actually work to provide value beyond simply selling games and Epic hasn't done that, at least not yet. For example, Epic users have been using Steam forums to discuss the games they buy there... In addition there's Steam workshop, Steamplay being expanded on Linux to support all Vulkan games (even those without Linux executables), Steam Link streaming to Android devices and smart TVs, their universal controller remapping feature... It's more than just a store now, and Epic doesn't have any of those features.

That's the practical part. Going further, I don't like that instead of trying to match Valve in adding value to their service, they are instead throwing money at publishers to take away our choices when there's absolutely no technical reason for it (unlike the differences between consoles).

I mean, I get it, how else can a new store compete with Steam? But understanding it doesn't mean I have to like it.

No, comparing open market vs monopoly. It's great to have more than one source for games, because it keeps prices low for us consumers. I really don't understand why people would want a single platform. It puts all the leverage and power to the owner of the platform instead of the consumers and the developers, driving prices up and quality down.

Thing is that the price for everything has been about the same over so many years anyways.
So having more of said game on multiple platforms doesn't technically drive the price down.

Mostly because the "publisher" say 2k has a set standard for a price at release.
Can it go lower than that? Most likely not.
Even if it's on all the platforms it won't drive prices down.

And the cut that Epic takes from the publisher/dev is a lot less than what Steam takes. That's why publishers/devs are switching mostly.
The main reason Fallout 76 wasn't released on Steam was that Valve wanted close to a 20% cut of the sales if I remember correctly, and for a AAA game that's a significant amount of money. Between that and the flood of low quality games* diluting Steam's quality, it's not too surprising the big boys would rather set up their own ecosystem.

*Specifically abandoned Greenlight/Early Access games and zero effort ports of old, dead mobile games. Those two categories alone make finding content on Steam a chore at best unless you know exactly what to search for.

My main problem with the Epic store only started when they started buying up games as exclusives. Its like they know the people choosing them over steam wouldn't be huge so instead they force you to install Epic. I know its technically the same with origin and uplay but the games they have exclusivity on there store are the games the publisher owns so I can deal with that(also some ubisoft games are also on steam but launch in uplay). The epic store is also heavily lacking in features over steam, would you believe that a shopping cart is a long term goal! a freakin shopping cart. https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

SynNfar.jpg

Randy is now "Rethinking" the decision about gearbox and where it gets released.
As lots of people were review shaming BL series on Steam.
As of right now it still stands as an "Epic" store timed exclusive, but could possibly change after the massive negative rating that fans did.

As lots of people were review shaming BL series on Steam.
This is the part I don’t understand. The angry people taking out their frustrations with inaccurate review “bombing”. As far as I understand, Gearbox didn’t have much of a say in the exclusive deal with Epic, so why review bomb old games on Steam? Isn’t that harming Steam, the platform they are trying to support? I also hear that Steam won’t allow Borderlands 1,2, and PS reviews from a certain time period to be accepted as proper reviews, which is nice. But man, is that the wrong way for people to get upset over the situation. Blows my mind how immature people react to these things.

This is the part I don’t understand. The angry people taking out their frustrations with inaccurate review “bombing”. As far as I understand, Gearbox didn’t have much of a say in the exclusive deal with Epic, so why review bomb old games on Steam? Isn’t that harming Steam, the platform they are trying to support? I also hear that Steam won’t allow Borderlands 1,2, and PS reviews from a certain time period to be accepted as proper reviews, which is nice. But man, is that the wrong way for people to get upset over the situation. Blows my mind how immature people react to these things.

Because that's the only store that has it?
As far as I know BL's have been released on steam and of course physical copies.

So where can they vent the frustration?
Twitter? That can only go so much.
Epic? Well the game hasn't launched yet so it can't be reviewed.
So what else is there?
Steam.

Also as far as I know also is that BL was the first game to get the "off-topic" review situation too.

course physical copies

I think physical copies were all just Steam codes, a friend of mine got the BL2 loot crate collectors edition and the DVD case that came with it literally just had a strip of paper inside with a code.

Also as far as I know also is that BL was the first game to get the "off-topic" review situation too.

Not the first to be bombed, not by a long way, but the first to be protected by Valve's new anti-bombing countermeasures. It's a totally illogical thing to do but what makes even less sense is Randy "I don't decide where we sell the game" Pitchford responded to it by saying something along the lines of "well if this is how you're going to behave, maybe we won't sell the game on Steam after all" - bit of a contradiction, no?

Tomorrow at 10 am PT/1 PM ET
They will be showing some gameplay on their channel.
Already got some shots of it with the skill tree, which appears to be 3 different ones you can choose from each with it's own special ability to launch.

Just thought I would share.

Edit:

Gameplay reveal happening.

Edit2:
So now since we got to see some gameplay and some ideas.
It's nice seeing that we can go onto other worlds now.
Multiple skills can be used.
I wonder how this will all play out with leveling up and everything.
I wonder if that will change how high level we can go or will it still be "50" with added bonuses under DLC.
Should see more at E3.

Edit3:
So they are saying that it will take 30 hours to "beeline" the story. (As in just story missions no side quests no looting)

So with that being said there will be lots of content. Making me also think that the level cap is greater than "50"

Last edited:
I have to say, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, I had assumed it would be Borderlands 2.2 (after TPS being 2.1, obv.) but it looks like more than just a first party mod. I especially like that they've thought about helping people with varying amounts of free time play together, that was my biggest complaint about BL2 (after Claptrap's voice, but you can't win them all) which pushed me to play up to level 72 solo then join other people when I got to the top, but I haven't even done that yet and I've only capped two of the six.

Anyway, still going to wait for the Steam release, unless they plan to let Epic and Steam players play together that is, in which case it'll be more difficult for me to stand by my decision to boycott Epic.

So they are saying that it will take 30 hours to "beeline" the story. (As in just story missions no side quests no looting)
I hope that they're not going to fall back on plot dumping cutscenes to get to that number. One of Borderlands' main strengths has been that, for the most part, the storyline presents itself while you're still able to go around and do things, and that the environments and music filled in their own details in ways you just can't get from watching characters talk at each other.

So it appears to be confirmed that once again.
Level cap of 50 at launch. (Yes this has been confirmed by a Dev)
Which is kinda a letdown especially with 3 different skill trees you can actually put into.

So what's the thought on knowing that it's a once again capped at 50 (Yet can easily code up to 80 yet choose not too)

So what's the thought on knowing that it's a once again capped at 50 (Yet can easily code up to 80 yet choose not too)
It probably means 3 DLC packs where each one bumps the level cap by 10. Gotta hook people into those season passes somehow, after all.

9 days to go.... :)
I buy the ps4 version, 60fps@1080p is fine to me. Would like to buy on pc but i boycott epic-store. Will buy steam version next year :)

4 days.
So far no leaks on the Trophy list yet.
Maybe come tomorrow when the store updates.

Edit: Some reviews are up.
You may not like them since some complained they were forced to use the "Epic" store to review it. :lol:

Edit 2: PC games gave BL3 a 63/100

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence about getting this or not. I have about 2 days to make up my mind if I wanna pre-order or wait til a price drop.......I'm also excited for Modern Warfare and it's upcoming beta so i'm not sure if dropping $60 on borderlands 3 right now is a good idea......

The timing of this game is so bad for me having so many other games to worry about before committing to the hours and hours of fun that will be had playing Borderlands 3. I am a huge fan of the series, but I also know they will take tons of time to get through completely. For that reason, I am forcing myself to wait to play the game so i can dedicate all my time to it, despite the fact that I have it pre-ordered.

Need to complete Control and Gears 5 first!

I loved the first BL when it came out. The second one brought some technical improvements and smoother gameplay but I'm not sure if it was an improvement. The problem was they started making it too gimmicky. The weapons, particularly the revolvers, in the first game were a joy to use. But the sniper rifles weren't so good. In BL2 the sniping was improved but many of the guns then had weird characteristics like turning into grenades and stuff. The "fanning" of (some of) the revolvers turned them into slow inaccurate rapid fire weapons instead of the single shot precision weapon.

I've been reading about BL3, and they seem to be intent on making it even more gimmicky with complicated skill trees. Anyway, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man so we will wait and see.

I think I get mine today but since I just got new job so I may have to wait until after to see if I got it and if I do then I will have to go pick it up.
:lol:
Then probably play it all weekend since I can't play much during the week.

Edit: It's in but I am too wore out to go get it.
So I will get it later on tomorrow.

Last edited:
Playing on ps4pro and it cant hold the 60fps nearly nowhere, so i changed to 30fps to get a "smoother" overall result.
Online dont work here, so laggy that you cant steer the car.

I like the message of the game.
How funny it must be when all that youtube idiots who stream the game live get it that they actually fight against themselves and their retarded followers. Just fantastic zynical message to that kind of retards HAHAHAHA LOOOL :) So nice!!

Also the sound is awesome:)

Back