Boring Car Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Sage Ages
  • 328 comments
It would be more interesting than it already is if it wasn't woefully underpowered. Kind of like how I find a Toyota 86 a somewhat boring car.

Underpowered for what, being a novelty commuter car? I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the AZ-1 then.

It would be more interesting than it already is if it wasn't woefully underpowered. Kind of like how I find a Toyota 86 a somewhat boring car.
This makes me cringe. How is 108 horsepower for a car that's 900 kg, especially from the 90's, woefully underpowered? It may not be the fastest car on the road, but it's not underpowered.

Same with the 86. 200 horsepower for a 1200 kg sports car is not underpowered.

Also find this one cool, Corolla Alltrac wagon! Also a fan of the 4WD Tercels.
image-jpg.609489
I'm fairly sure you already know I'm not a particularly big fan of the brand in question, but I've recently been more and more interested in the idea of owning an absolutely ordinary 80s everyday car and bringing it back to almost like new condition. Still being me, it'd most likely be a Saab... or a Citroën BX... But regardless some of those 80s Corollas, like that 4WD have started to appear more appealing to me than they did before.

I'm fairly sure you already know I'm not a particularly big fan of the brand in question, but I've recently been more and more interested in the idea of owning an absolutely ordinary 80s everyday car and bringing it back to almost like new condition. Still being me, it'd most likely be a Saab... or a Citroën BX... But regardless some of those 80s Corollas, like that 4WD have started to appear more appealing to me than they did before.
How about this one?

Reliable transport even after 300,000 miles.

Sure do :lol:

The 1980s stuff is their peak I think personally. An old Corolla would be pretty simple to work on which is nice, but good luck finding one that hasn't rusted to hell, especially if it's an Alltrac.

How about this one?

Reliable transport even after 300,000 miles.

I second this, good friend of mine has a 5 speed 240 and I love driving that thing. They're very solid, though the interiors don't seem to hold up very well.

I quite liked the Auris styling, a V6 one would've been an interesting option for sure.

My Impala, of course!!! Can't get more generic than this.
20170331_175308.jpg

No seriously... I love my car. Wouldn't have bought a second one if it wasn't true. Favorite feature about my new Impala? this:
20170329_180233.jpg

Where else can you get a fairly recent car, with 50k miles with a 300HP+ engine for no more than 12 grand? This car is so much faster than I imagined. I love it!!!

2.5L turbocharged five-cylinder sounding similar to a 8.0L V10?

Does not compute.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that a V10 engine is formed by merging two inline-five cylinder layouts, hence why they sound similar.

My Impala, of course!!! Can't get more generic than this.
View attachment 638404
No seriously... I love my car. Wouldn't have bought a second one if it wasn't true. Favorite feature about my new Impala? this:
View attachment 638405
Where else can you get a fairly recent car, with 50k miles with a 300HP+ engine for no more than 12 grand? This car is so much faster than I imagined. I love it!!!
Up until July/August last year, I had a 2005 Impala, base trim. It was a generic crapbox, but I loved that thing to pieces. It had an aggressive engine noise for whatever reason, even though it was slow. It felt fast, and it was an absolute dream for a commuter like me! The soft ride made it easy to deal with the terrible roads around here. It felt like a giant couch.

I bought it for $1500. Best $1500 I've ever spent.

The Volkswagen Passat is just another mid-sized family sedan. The US-Spec is designed with the American consumer in mind that is has been completely Americanized with all European aspects removed. Many reviewers say that it is completely utilitarian with no character at all. But do you really need anything more? The old 5 cylinder was great and the V6 comes with a pretty good dual clutch transmission.

2015-Volkswagen-Passat-Limited-Edition-e1425655976638-626x381.jpg

2013_volkswagen_passat_sedan_v6-se_rq_oem_2_1280.jpg

2017-volkswagen-passat-sel-premium-auto-sedan-angular-front.png

2017-volkswagen-passat-sel-premium-auto-sedan-angular-rear.png

If you're feeling extra frisky, there's a R-Line with sporty bumpers and rims.

2017-Volkswagen-Passat-A_o_2.jpg

The Volkswagen Passat is just another mid-sized family sedan. The US-Spec is designed with the American consumer in mind that is has been completely Americanized with all European aspects removed. Many reviewers say that it is completely utilitarian with no character at all. But do you really need anything more? The old 5 cylinder was great and the V6 comes with a pretty good dual clutch transmission.

2015-Volkswagen-Passat-Limited-Edition-e1425655976638-626x381.jpg

2013_volkswagen_passat_sedan_v6-se_rq_oem_2_1280.jpg

2017-volkswagen-passat-sel-premium-auto-sedan-angular-front.png

2017-volkswagen-passat-sel-premium-auto-sedan-angular-rear.png

If you're feeling extra frisky, there's a R-Line with sporty bumpers and rims.

2017-Volkswagen-Passat-A_o_2.jpg

I'm not a fan of the US spec Passat, but...the R-Line in blue looks great.
2017_volkswagen_passat-pic-2125572632853005976-1600x1200.jpeg

Up until July/August last year, I had a 2005 Impala, base trim. It was a generic crapbox, but I loved that thing to pieces. It had an aggressive engine noise for whatever reason, even though it was slow. It felt fast, and it was an absolute dream for a commuter like me! The soft ride made it easy to deal with the terrible roads around here. It felt like a giant couch.

I bought it for $1500. Best $1500 I've ever spent.

8th gen Impalas are actually better looking than my 9th gen, in my opinion. I don't know why, I just love the style a lot more. The front is more aggressive and the quad taillights make it look like a Corvette.

And I have to agree with the engine sound. Yours had the 3.8 (or 3.4?), which is similar to my old 2007 Impala's 3.5. Some people hate the drone of the pushrod V6, but I do think it is a very nice sounding engine. And I love how you could drive it all the time not even reaching 2000 rpm's. Very smooth, quiet and fuel efficient. And you could drive 40mph in overdrive at barely 1000 rpm/s XD

I'm still getting used to this 2013 Impala. The car barely moves if below 2000rpm, which is the opposite. And it never shifts to 5th or 6th unless on the highway. I have still yet to see how fuel efficient it is. But man... the sound of that DOHC V6. It's a whole different world from an OHV.

2-800-oemexteriorfront-66009.jpg

Sucker for this car. 2012 Ford Fusion is just the right amount of boring, but in person it's actually nice looking. Looks more upper class than it actually is.

Buick Lucerne

Boring, it certainly is, but it's sleek, curvaceous design makes it one of the best looking American sedans of the 21st century. European styling cues were implemented, and from certain angles, it resembles the Jaguar XF. It's a shame that this car was massively underpowered and was fitted with a drab interior.

However, it was light years ahead of it's predecessor, the Lesabre, in terms of styling and refinement.

Jeep Cherokee
images

I first saw this debut at the NY Auto Show. I actually liked the old Wagoneer next to it. Wasn't until I saw the intro to The Goonies, that made me like it.

Latest Posts

Back