Boundary Layer's Drift Videos - New Vid Added Feb 2nd, 2006

OMG I can't believe you don't lose speed while linking such corners:drool: That must be some weard way of drifting(you) or one great set of settings for that car, GIVE THEM LOL!!! :crazy:

Real IDM angles m8, only turn on the DFP!! It RULES!!! Well I guess now the DS2 does too......

GREAT JOB MATE

heh, well the dfp might be coming soon.
Like i said somewhere - i've had to restart my game and I'm using the DFP exclusively this time around. Still doing the licenses at the moment (gold on B, A, and 15/16 of IB so far). So once the game has the cash for it, I'll turn attention to gettin sideways again with the DFP.

i'd prefer to build a good sturdy rig first.... but with about 4sq.ft of floor left in my room I don't know where i'd put it.

TankSpanker
heh, well the dfp might be coming soon.
Like i said somewhere - i've had to restart my game and I'm using the DFP exclusively this time around. Still doing the licenses at the moment (gold on B, A, and 15/16 of IB so far). So once the game has the cash for it, I'll turn attention to gettin sideways again with the DFP.

i'd prefer to build a good sturdy rig first.... but with about 4sq.ft of floor left in my room I don't know where i'd put it.

HA, had the same problem here, but since my TV is on top of my desk, I could just mount it on the desk lol, dang easy if you ask me:tup:

Ok, all vids are now hosted in permanent locations until such time as I or IDM removes them. Vinsion take note. The links are located in the first post of this thread.

Re-released my :tipthescale vid just b/c I'm kinda proud of it. But my best drifting is still on Centrifuge 3.

There will be no more large vid releases like this from me for a little while now. I finally got a decent surface to fix my DFP to (Dad unwillingly donated a Jobmate adjustable workbench - works great), so my focus will be on developing my drifting skill with that. Already I have found myself capable of greater angles and more consitency due to the more precise steering.

:sly:

TankSpanker
There will be no more large vid releases like this from me for a little while now. I finally got a decent surface to fix my DFP to (Dad unwillingly donated a Jobmate adjustable workbench - works great), so my focus will be on developing my drifting skill with that. Already I have found myself capable of greater angles and more consitency due to the more precise steering.

:sly:

You're just using that as an excuse. We both know what the real reason for you not putting out more vids is... :cool:

TankSpanker
All Videos Located on Permanent Hosts

First vid: Centrifuge 2 - right click, save as
4mins, 320x240 (save filesize), 26mb's

comments from post 1 to 41

Latest Release (May 3, 2005): Centrifuge 3 - Right click, save as
4:27, 480x360, ~18mb's

Member comments on this vid begin at post 42

About the video:
This is my first release as a member of IDM

I made Centrifuge 3 after submitting my entry for AO's Gauntlet. I was dissatisfied with the drifting I presented in that vid. Tsukuba is not my cup of tea - nor are racing hard tires on blue S14's, I've come to realize. This is just a sort of a 'look what i can do' video.

So, yes, the effects are nothing like those seen in my :tip the scale. vid which i submitted for that competition. There's a few fancy scene transitions, but they dont require any extra thought - just 3 more mouse clicks. The focus is more on long and/or complex drifting. For that reason I repeat a few clips with different views.

Now, before anyone asks - the settings are not for sale. Partly b/c my game data has gone corrupt - maxdrive crushing and GT4 saves are not a good mix :grumpy: . And also partly b/c I changed the settings slightly from track to track to match the surface's grip level (some tracks are grippier than others). However, I will divulge the mods, since there aren't many:

1987 Nissan Skyline GTS-R (R31) - it's an FR
300hp (by some combination of upgrades)

stage 3 weight reduction
Full Racing Suspension
N2 Tires
thats it.

Hope everyone enjoys it! :sly:

Re-release (June 21, 2005): AO's Gauntlet Entry - Tip the Scale - Right click, save as
2:57, 640x480, ~18mb's

About the video:
I created this video for a competition constructed by Der Alta (now retired). It was rendered in my pre-IDM days, but released after I became a member. It won the competition quite handily, and I won myself 3 months of Premium membership on GTP. The contest voting thread may be viewed here, and the results here.

The focus in this vid was on the effects moreso than the drifting - as that was also the focus of the competition. The car ('93 Silvia K's Aero) did have a drift setup, but I made the decision to drive on racing hard tires, for reasons now lost to me. I think I liked the larger rim size or something silly like that. So the angle of the majority of the drifts is far less than those displayed in my Centrifuge 3 vid.
nice vids

Amazing drifting there Tank, you've improved from last time ive seen you, and your still improving, great work with the DFP.
I know how hard the first corner of Apricot Hill and Midfield are, ive been working on doing those for a while now, yet you've done it almost perfect. Im proud of ya, lol :dopey:

Marus92
Very nice! I was impressed by the editing of Tip the scale.

Speaking of it, whats the tune in the background?

Cya

it's called Tip the Scale by Rise Against
however, I chopped the song a little to shorten it and added some sound effects at the start and finish of the track

TankSpanker
it's called Tip the Scale by Rise Against
however, I chopped the song a little to shorten it and added some sound effects at the start and finish of the track

Cool. I knew the band sounded familiar :dunce: ...Is that CD good? I was thinking of buying it.

Marus92
Cool. I knew the band sounded familiar :dunce: ...Is that CD good? I was thinking of buying it.

it's awesome, plain and simple. 👍

d3p0, like many of your posts i'm just gonna sweep that last one under the carpet like it never happened. If I recall accurately, there isnt a single FR car in any of these vids beyond 300hp (certainly none past 350hp). They're all about careful suspension tuning.

Which vid or car in particular were you referring to? I'm always open to constructive criticism, but the blunt unsubstantiated claims that have become your trademark particularly irk me

oh, and thanks 147852 :sly:

I'm refering to Grand Valley east @ the complex corner section. When you practice with a lot of power you it's very easy to avoid the ideal line, especially in a section like that. Try it some more in an underpowered car and you'll find a line that can get you through the whole section. Once you've done that, try again with the power.

d3p0
I'm refering to Grand Valley east @ the complex corner section. When you practice with a lot of power you it's very easy to avoid the ideal line, especially in a section like that. Try it some more in an underpowered car and you'll find a line that can get you through the whole section. Once you've done that, try again with the power.

Centrifuge 3, GVE turn 7 or so, left hander entering the tunnel?

ya, that. lol, i'd forgotten about it, but i really did botch that corner completely, didnt I?
...that's rhetorical, for my own sake i'll ask that you dont answer it :sly:
the left wasnt the focus of that clip. That clip found its way into the vid b/c of the link on the two rights prior to it. At the time of the video, i hadnt seen those 2 corners done before.

I'll keep this short since I want to call the gf and get to bed.
I'm still gonna stick to my guns and say that to claim i rely too much on power over based on that single turn is ridiculous.

Actually the whole video gave me that feeling, though some of the sections that you completed (like el capitan) displayed a pretty nice line. Agree that how much power you have effects the line you take; you can take a wider line (for more angle) with more power. I'm just suggesting a move back to the basic line because it might improve your drifting over all. The easiest way to force yourself to find -that- line is to use a low powered car. The section that mainly disappointed me was everything on GVE. That whole section is linkable, especially with 300+hp, as I will show (when i'm not lazy) and I upload the vid of my 145hp ae86.

d3p0
Agree that how much power you have effects the line you take; you can take a wider line (for more angle) with more power.

no dispute there, thats pretty much a given

d3p0
I'm just suggesting a move back to the basic line because it might improve your drifting over all. The easiest way to force yourself to find -that- line is to use a low powered car. The section that mainly disappointed me was everything on GVE. That whole section is linkable, especially with 300+hp, as I will show (when i'm not lazy) and I upload the vid of my 145hp ae86.

I think its at this point in the discussion where personal style and tastes come into play. I try where possible to find challenging and imaginative lines or corners for my drifting as opposed to the tried and true you refer to - not that there's anything wrong with that approach if that's how you choose to drift. Sometimes I find something that works well, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes I find no alternative line at all. But I like to experiment.

Now for the corners in question I will agree that the vid you put up in your thread is a cleaner display of a traditional line, and a better display in general than the 3 month old clip in my vid. I'm not about to defend my performance, I never really planned to as I know it can always be better and I Know I have done it better since the release of Centrifuge 3. What I'm saying is the video is getting dated and although my style hasnt changed much in my eyes, I feel my ability has improved.

So to sorta sum things up now, after viewing your trueno vid I do understand where you're coming from when you say the 'whole video gave you that feeling'. We have styles and setups that sort of 'butt-heads' so far as drifting goes. A little bit of math with figures from the car list indicate that my R31 had a PWR of around 4.4-4.5, your AE86 a PWR of about 6.7. So the numbers do indicate a greater reliance on power by my car. But there's more to the equation than that.
I was using tight suspension setup relative to the one used on your AE86, that's come to be the feel I like in my cars. Additionally, the R31 was on somewhat stickier tires - so throw together the tires, setup, and difference in masses and the difference in grip levels should be obvious. Naturally a little more hp and torque is required.
But the fact that I use more power than you does not scream an over-reliance on it, it just implies that I prepare and drift cars differently than you - most likely because I choose to do it that way.

Nonetheless, I'll consider what you wrote next time I flip on the PS2 to do some drifting, and put a few things to the test. But I'm not going to change my ways just for the sake of change. I drift for me first and foremost.

I'm done with discussing Centrifuge 3, I gotta get something fresh out to get a more accurate read on where I stand and what I need to be working on.

TankSpanker
dual shock 2
ok whether or not people like this Reply.. Let me just tell u DS2 is the biggest load of BS i've ever witnessed before whether or not the vids are cool and yes they are.. Please ANyone drifting a DS2 is a JOKe... and please take that for what it is... Any babe with an ounce of free time is gonna drift with a DS2 And if u think u can hold those long Drifts, And even THink its even REmotely possible to DO those same technical drifts with a Wheel your all on crack... The skills with a wheel are above and beyond what people *think is amazing with a DS2.. this has been eating away at me for awhile and let me just say DS2 = BS.. u think ur good Get on a wheel then show me your Technical drifts with those 90deg, Sideways LEFt into 90deg SIDeways RIGht Link drifts pleeease.. .... Bash this post i'd personnally love some bashes... Facts are facts.... As far as i'm concerned EVERYONE who drifts is a NEWB yes tahts RIGHT a NEEEWB.. "Unless u can Truely and utterly drift your brains out with a 900deg Wheel"..... Lets see em.... what u got!! OH btw.. I"m NOT amazing with a wheel i'm Decent... but some of these obsurd drifts i'm watching are just about impossible with a wheel..... Bring da Ruckus.. (bash away)

MasterDriver
ok whether or not people like this Reply.. Let me just tell u DS2 is the biggest load of BS i've ever witnessed before whether or not the vids are cool and yes they are.. Please ANyone drifting a DS2 is a JOKe... and please take that for what it is... Any babe with an ounce of free time is gonna drift with a DS2 And if u think u can hold those long Drifts, And even THink its even REmotely possible to DO those same technical drifts with a Wheel your all on crack... The skills with a wheel are above and beyond what people *think is amazing with a DS2.. this has been eating away at me for awhile and let me just say DS2 = BS.. u think ur good Get on a wheel then show me your Technical drifts with those 90deg, Sideways LEFt into 90deg SIDeways RIGht Link drifts pleeease.. .... Bash this post i'd personnally love some bashes... Facts are facts.... As far as i'm concerned EVERYONE who drifts is a NEWB yes tahts RIGHT a NEEEWB.. "Unless u can Truely and utterly drift your brains out with a 900deg Wheel".....

wow... you must be in a real bad mood or something... what's with the attitude?

1. TankSpanker told us he uses DS2 to drift in that video, but he did not say "I use DS2 so I'm 1337".

2. "NewB" it is, everyone's a newb when they first started, you don't need to emphasize on that.

3. again, not everyone can afford a wheel like Driving Force Pro, saying DS2 = BS is very harsh, you need to understand that some people were forced to play with the DS2 because they can't afford to get a 900deg wheel atm, and the fact that they got so good with the DS2, they should be respected. It's all about the love of the game.

MasterDriver
Lets see em.... what u got!! OH btw.. I"m NOT amazing with a wheel i'm Decent... but some of these obsurd drifts i'm watching are just about impossible with a wheel..... Bring da Ruckus.. (bash away)

ha-ha, that's the silliest statement I've read in a long time, anything you can do in a DS2, can be performed in a wheel. Have you ever seen Mike Le Chat Noir's drift video before? - he's real good with his DFP, and I'm sure he could perform those "absurd" drifts easily.

It's all about practise, the more practise and effort you put on it, the better you become with that particular controller, people here have spent their time/effort to learn and improve their drifting with what they have in their hands, and when you just come out here and bash the DS2 players saying that their choice of controller is CRAP or ****... that's a bit too much, I'm sure they'd be glad if you would sponsor them a DFP, so can you?

if you can't, then shut up.

oh btw, just admit it, you're driving with a DFP and you can't do any better than a DS2 drifter, doesn't mean the rest of the people would be the same.

MasterDriver
ok whether or not people like this Reply.. Let me just tell u DS2 is the biggest load of BS i've ever witnessed before whether or not the vids are cool and yes they are.. Please ANyone drifting a DS2 is a JOKe... and please take that for what it is... Any babe with an ounce of free time is gonna drift with a DS2 And if u think u can hold those long Drifts, And even THink its even REmotely possible to DO those same technical drifts with a Wheel your all on crack... The skills with a wheel are above and beyond what people *think is amazing with a DS2.. this has been eating away at me for awhile and let me just say DS2 = BS.. u think ur good Get on a wheel then show me your Technical drifts with those 90deg, Sideways LEFt into 90deg SIDeways RIGht Link drifts pleeease.. .... Bash this post i'd personnally love some bashes... Facts are facts.... As far as i'm concerned EVERYONE who drifts is a NEWB yes tahts RIGHT a NEEEWB.. "Unless u can Truely and utterly drift your brains out with a 900deg Wheel"..... Lets see em.... what u got!! OH btw.. I"m NOT amazing with a wheel i'm Decent... but some of these obsurd drifts i'm watching are just about impossible with a wheel..... Bring da Ruckus.. (bash away)

To say because someone either can't afford a DFP or just doesn't have one automatically makes them suck, that just makes you sound like a huge ignorant prick. I've played on a DFP before, and its not really that much harder to drift with. Because you can't hold the same angle or duration as a DS2 drifter doesn't mean it's not possible. If anything a DFP gives the advatange purely on the increased control ability. If you want to complain you can't countersteer fast enough with a DFP because of the force-feedback, theres a really simple and logical way around it without turning off the force-feedback. If you took the time to notice the difference in style among DS2 and DFP drifters you'd notice it pretty quickly. Drifting and driving in general is mostly using a good amount of common sense. If you can't process together your inputs and the reactions to your inputs, then come with a feasible solution for problems you encounter, you won't advance far in drifting/racing. If you want to explain why it's impossible to drift on a DFP like you can with a DS2, then do it, but do it here atleast... DS2 vs DFP

If you make it a point to type like a retard, expect to be treated like one. With that said, get back on the short bus where you came from, and learn to speak ENGLISH...

Droptop_Chick
To say because someone either can't afford a DFP or just doesn't have one automatically makes them suck, that just makes you sound like a huge ignorant prick. I've played on a DFP before, and its not really that much harder to drift with. Because you can't hold the same angle or duration as a DS2 drifter doesn't mean it's not possible. If anything a DFP gives the advatange purely on the increased control ability. If you want to complain you can't countersteer fast enough with a DFP because of the force-feedback, theres a really simple and logical way around it without turning off the force-feedback. If you took the time to notice the difference in style among DS2 and DFP drifters you'd notice it pretty quickly. Drifting and driving in general is mostly using a good amount of common sense. If you can't process together your inputs and the reactions to your inputs, then come with a feasible solution for problems you encounter, you won't advance far in drifting/racing. If you want to explain why it's impossible to drift on a DFP like you can with a DS2, then do it, but do it here atleast... DS2 vs DFP

If you make it a point to type like a retard, expect to be treated like one. With that said, get back on the short bus where you came from, and learn to speak ENGLISH...

Cant afford is not what i'm looking at... My respect will from here on only go to those with a wheel, I'm sure its just as fun with a controller but as a matter of 'Respect' i'm sorry i reserve mine for truly skilled drivers... and a DS2 doesnt cut it in my eyes.. and anyone with a wheel understands.. I'm just the only jerk that will state that I refuse to hold people using a DS2 up on the "Almighty Drifting Pillar" because they can spin the wheel 900degs in an instant using the conroller..

Also not in a bad mood i'm just now getting sick of all the RESPECT for ds2 users... say what u will but you will only know the truth when a wheel is in your hands...

Mr. Droptop chick or whatever.. First off all their is no need to insult "English" or not... Stay on subject and leave the cheap 10cent comments at the door ty..

Stanley^Carter
oh btw, just admit it, you're driving with a DFP and you can't do any better than a DS2 drifter, doesn't mean the rest of the people would be the same.

I thought i already hinted at this... Let me make it clear.. Their is no one In the WORLD. Please correct me with a fabulous video if you can.... That can mimic what someone does with a controller... I'm not trying to be an a$$ i'm merely saying something that needs to be brought out from under the stairs and given the light it rightfully deserves .....

P.S: Mr. SPanktanker err vice versa.. I'm not bashing you personnally.. I'm bashing the controller.. :)

New Topic:

My Silvia's suspension is a mess and I need to retune it. I don't feel like using premade setups so I'd just like to know where are the crucial spots for tuning...

Captain Trips
New Topic:

My Silvia's suspension is a mess and I need to retune it. I don't feel like using premade setups so I'd just like to know where are the crucial spots for tuning...

You can't just start a new random topic... Comment on one of TS's vids, his style, his future works, etc... If you want help with tuning, PM someone... A good way to find good help, is to PM different people that have settings posted in the drift settings depot...

;)

Delphic Reason
You can't just start a new random topic... Comment on one of TS's vids, his style, his future works, etc... If you want help with tuning, PM someone... A good way to find good help, is to PM different people that have settings posted in the drift settings depot...

;)

Yes, I really liked the video. I even tried a few of the stunts on the GVE circuit.

Back