Bram Turismo's Gallery - Tournament Round 1 before/after -

I like how you don't resize your images and they still look very high quality. The blur is perfect, not too sharp and not to soft either, the cleaning is great, I like how the the car doesn't look too cartoonish. The angle is cool, maybe a bit more crop wouldn't do any harm. The only thing that throws me a bit away from it is the rims and the brakes that don't follow that same quality has the rest of the picture.

Very nice colour and good execution. Since you mentioned about the panel gap, I don't think you need that line highlight for every part of the line. In your situation, horizontal line should reflect the light the most, and less for verticals. You may want to play with the opacity for the highlight.

NOW WERE TALKIN'! Colors are so vibrant yet realistic. Looks really good Bram. I bet it will be strange come GT5 when not much editing is needed if any! Keep up the great work!

Looks like you did it Bram! I think you have figured it out, without my help! I knew you could do it. 👍

Now, about the actually components of the shot, here is what I suggest, and this can easily be done without a major overhaul.

With the wheels, use the oval marquee tool, and make a selection around each wheel, 1 wheel at a time. Then do a very slight radial, spin blur on them, somewhere between 3-5 pixels. That will take care of the harsh pixels we are seeing.

Then, what bugs me the most are the fender wells. You really really need to soften those edges up. Maybe just run the blur tool along the edge of them once to try and reduce the harshness of those lines. That goes for the trunk lid too. Pretty much where ever there is a bright yellow area that meets up with black. Did you use a sharpen filter?

But other than those suggestion, sweet job! The colors look great. I agree, the RX-7 looks gorgeous in yellow! Not sure what your take on this is, but would you mind sending me the three original images you used to create this shot? I am itching to photoshop an original GT4 image. I wish I still had GT4. But anyway, I just wanted to see what I could do with it. If you don't want to send it to me, no big deal. I just thought I would ask!

The older RX-7 looks really nice as well, I don't care what anybody says about it! I like the softer look to the shot. It does the shot good. I like the intensity of the white, hot spots on the car. And the sepia tone is perfect. 👍

Later Bram... :)

I'VE SEEN A GHOST!!!!! 440, are you gonna get GT5 when it comes out? Awesome to see you come back and drop a line.

Wow, thanks for all the comments fellas! Much appreciated! 👍

Nic, I think I indeed found the missing link. I took some shots from your gallery, loaded them up in Photoshop and examined the levels. I then noticed that in all of your images, both the left and right handles are at a peak. So I took your original 350Z at Motegi into PS, tried it a couple of times, changed the blending mode and to my big surprise I actually got close to exactly the same result as you. I'm really sorry for bothering you with all these questions over the years, but I've got a habit of really wanting to figure out stuff when I'm stuck at them.

But yeah, I used an unsharp mask twice, which probably over-sharpened it. Since many didn't really like the soft look of the old RX-7 I thought they would appreciate the crisper look of the newer RX-7 more, but seems like it worked vica-versa :lol:

I'll send you those stock ones tomorrow 👍

franz, 440 Charger, thanks for the tips, they are noted! 👍 I may have another RX-7 up over the weekend, it just looks fantastic with those rims and colour in action! Yeah, it'll be strange going over to GT5, but I'm not getting it most probably so luckely I get to become the last person on earth to deal with GT4 :P

Great shot Bram. Only two gripes: the wheels are extremely low quality. I'm not sure what you could do to fix it but maybe laying off the bling rims (I know, I love them too) would help. Second, the edge of the hatch is jaggy, in typical Bram style (don't take that badly)...

I am looking forward to the Mustang update. The '05 GT is one of my favorite cars to shoot in GT4, it's just so photogenic.

Got quite close so there was a lot of junk to clean up. The blue thing in the background above the bonnet makes the blur not so good for me. The whites were already very strong in the original, so there's not so much I could do about that. I have another Mustang pic that I might finish over the weekend. It looks promising, but so did this so it's exiting to see how that one will turn out! 👍

Very nice! But the angle looks kinda weird to me. How do you get those door lines so smooth?

SVX
Very nice! But the angle looks kinda weird to me. How do you get those door lines so smooth?

Yeah, it's a much wider angle than I'm used to. For the panel gaps I draw them with the pen tool on a new layer. I then go back to the car layer, delete all the panel gaps so that I have a car without panel gaps and then I have 4 or 5 layers with panel gaps. Each layer has 1 panel gap, so that I can adjust the opacity of them. 👍

Yeah, it's a much wider angle than I'm used to. For the panel gaps I draw them with the pen tool on a new layer.

When I try to do it, where I'm doing, for example, a door, It makes the whole door covered.

You mean it fills that area with a color? When you select the pen tool, at the top of PS a little menu bar should appear with various options for the pen tool. There is a little box with a pen icon in it to the left of that menu. If it happens when you have it on, switch it off and that should fix it 👍

That's pretty nice Bram, the panels are perfect.

My only gripes would be the inner area of the wheels and the blur doesn't quite match with the perspective, but that would be very difficult to achieve.

Great shot Bram. Your style is so unique. I look forward to seeing your tournament entrie(s) (if you make it past the Qualifying Round of course :P).

Also, good to see you in the Photomode section Sweet. You planning on entering the 2.0 tourney?

It's amazing. I know how cartoon-ish the Mustang can become, yet you managed to give a shape to it and keep it away from the cartoon-ish style. I'm really eager for your future works, and really really eager to see you at the tournament. 👍

Thanks guys! 👍

I just finished another Mustang pic that I've worked on for some hours now and I think it turned out pretty decent. I think it turned out way better than the first Mustang pic. I will upload it later! 👍

How about another one?

Thought I'd quickly upload it before I dive into another week of hard work for university. I think it turned out quite good! 👍

I agree with mag, the color contrast is nice. The lighting is extremely realistic too, with shadows and highlights in exactly the right places. Good to see that you finally took the "Ultrashot's gallery" banner out of the first post :lol:

Mustang looks nice Bram! I remember doing a shot of 350 Z in that exact location. I always liked the look of the camera being below the car a little.

And here is my version of your RX-7 shot I asked for. It's a tad different than what you came up with, but generally looks the same. Hope you like it!

Bram I think you did an excellent job on the cleanup for both Mustang photos. After you make some comparison with 440's Rx-7 with your Rx-7. Now you know your windows are too transparent, which is also the problem of your 2nd Mustang photo. I am not saying you should make it as dark tint as 440's Rx-7, somewhere in between would be perfect. 440 really knows how to work on that panel gaps flawlessly. Everyone should take notes on that 👍

I think Bram you should try to develop motion blur with multiple speed, because I believe the ground where closer to the camera should have the highest speed blur.

*Comparing both RX-7 shots and taking notes of differences and of what is being said, especially about panel gaps, wheels cleanup and windows tint. Also, saying to my head that multiple speed sounds quite interesting and would like to see a shot with this example.*

Nice :P:tup:

Back