Breaking - Forza head tracking.

Wattsterplus
XML Binging Language?
Just announced at E3.

Just demonstrated, new features allow you to drive Forza using the new Kinect, the new name version for project natal. Drive using only your hands, and the head tracking looks similar to what we're expecting for GT5. The head tracking seemed quite smooth and quick to react, it is also the best example i have seen of the technology so far.

The demonstration also included the ability to virtually walk around and sit inside your favourite cars.

Coming 2011.

PS, I'm not a massive Forza fan, nor do i dislike it, but definately an interesting update.

Last edited:
Looked lame as hell and as usual Greenwalt playing cocky "THE FUTURE OF RACING GAMES STARTS HERE" yeah right, with pushing the start button and no gameplay?
Walking around your car is nice sure but going all crazy just over this isn't worth it, in my opinion.

Looked lame as hell and as usual Greenwalt playing cocky "THE FUTURE OF RACING GAMES STARTS HERE" yeah right, with pushing the start button and no gameplay?
Walking around your car is nice sure but going all crazy just over this isn't worth it, in my opinion.

Lol, to be fair, i saw it, didn't hear it.

Also, to be fair, it already has a release window (whether it turns out to be Forza 4 or whatever) that will most likely be acknowledged without batting an eyelid knowing Turn 10. Say what you want about Dan or Turn 10...but their stuff, well, it arrives.

Alba, it was just a tech demo. I imagine there will be a lot built around what you saw there, as the title immediately following said "Coming 2011." I imagine this will be a bit more like a Project Gotham title than an actual Forza 3 sequel, but, it seems fairly likely that some of these things will be integrated into the next full-fledged Forza title. Being able to get in the cars, look around, and start it up in some kind of "Free Drive" mode would be pretty awesome.

Otherwise, I do hope that they'll let me use the Microsoft racing wheel with the Kinetic head tracking system. If not, yeah. Not as cool as I'd like.

Do you think guys, just you know for once, that we could have a thread discussing Forza or GT without it actually turning into a flame fest and/or having pop's at the other title.

Might make for a refreshing change.

Oh, by the way don't mistake this for a polite interlude, rather a strong directional hint.

Scaff

I know it's a tech demo and I feel like this has some kind of potential for a show room like environment with Kinect which would be pretty awesome but as always the thing is hindered by Dan's attitude (at least for me) and just overplaying it. Also playing a SIM with your hands is just stupid.

It's coming 2011 so we'll see but I doubt it's going to be worth any of the hardcore's time.

Just my opinion ;)

Scaff, hope my opinion doesn't come across as flaming. As i said, i was quite surprised by the announcement.

Last edited:
lol It's funny how how they said "oh you wanna look at the engine, well just circle around and touch the engine.. and vwala!!" You get a video of the Ferrari engine instead of actually looking around it in realtime. This conference was pathetic for Microsoft..

The fan boyish attitude of gamers never ceases to amaze me. Thought it was a great presentation. Kinect looked to be full of potential and I'll be waiting eagerly for info on T10 's new game. Amazing to be sat in the crowd and walking away with a brand new slim 360 for free. Really looking forward to the Sony presentation now and finally (hopefully) getting a nailed on date for GT.

4sjg9h.jpg

oqhrpd.jpg

jt75sy.jpg

They look real.

For being a pre-rendered video, they're not bad..

I'm not so sure it is pre-rendered (I don't necessarily doubt that it is) but it looked like a real-time presentation.

In any case, skimming through T10's blog on the Forza website...it's official - that's the next Forza Motorsport. It mentions it's only going to borrow some of the ideas, so I highly doubt they'll alienate controller/wheel users.

I'm not so sure it is pre-rendered (I don't necessarily doubt that it is) but it looked like a real-time presentation.

In any case, skimming through T10's blog on the Forza website...it's official - that's the next Forza Motorsport. It mentions it's only going to borrow some of the ideas, so I highly doubt they'll alienate controller/wheel users.

Did you actually watch the presentation. The dude held up his hand to what he wanted to see and waited a few seconds for a pre-rendered FMV to play.

I would have been more impressed if say, the guy pretended to lift up the hood covering the engine and looked at it in real-time.

The thing is that this whole showing was all about Kinect and what it can do, which the Eye-toy and Wii did years ago..

Did you actually watch the presentation. The dude held up his hand to what he wanted to see and waited a few seconds for a pre-rendered FMV to play.

I would have been more impressed if say, the guy pretended to lift up the hood covering the engine and looked at it in real-time.

The thing is that this whole showing was all about Kinect and what it can do, which the Eye-toy and Wii did years ago..

I only caught the very end of it because I had my TV muted as I didn't want to hear that dreadful music game bs that was going. Next time I look at the TV I see a 458 Italia wondering what the hell just happened, and what I missed....

Thanks for reminding me. :lol:

The fan boyish attitude of gamers never ceases to amaze me. Thought it was a great presentation. Kinect looked to be full of potential and I'll be waiting eagerly for info on T10 's new game. Amazing to be sat in the crowd and walking away with a brand new slim 360 for free. Really looking forward to the Sony presentation now and finally (hopefully) getting a nailed on date for GT.

I like the common conception that any negative remark towards the conference is considered a "fanboyish attitude." This years E3 conference was legitimately bad in lots of "gamers" opinion. Does that make them a fanboy? No. Though I do agree, some comments are just dumb, so don't get me wrong.

Once again though, I think Turn 10 is touting a lot of irrelevant things once again. They know GT5 is being released this time around (they THOUGHT it was going to be last time) and they are trying to re-hype the Forza franchise to possibly take some of the market that GT has, but once again I think they will fall short. Especially with the fact that they are still using DVD's. Forza 3 had 2 DVDs, one you had to install, and even then you only had 400+ cars. They'll never be able to reach 1000 cars like GT will until the next Xbox comes out.

For being a pre-rendered video, they're not bad..

Taken from the latest T10 blog that has just gone up.

The second half of the “Forza Motorsport Preview” presentation took the audience on a virtual tour of the new Ferrari 458 Italia within the expansive backdrop of the Bonneville Salt Flats in northwestern Utah. Rendered completely in real-time on the Xbox 360

I like the common conception that any negative remark towards the conference is considered a "fanboyish attitude." This years E3 conference was legitimately bad in lots of "gamers" opinion. Does that make them a fanboy? No. Though I do agree, some comments are just dumb, so don't get me wrong.

Once again though, I think Turn 10 is touting a lot of irrelevant things once again. They know GT5 is being released this time around (they THOUGHT it was going to be last time) and they are trying to re-hype the Forza franchise to possibly take some of the market that GT has, but once again I think they will fall short. Especially with the fact that they are still using DVD's. Forza 3 had 2 DVDs, one you had to install, and even then you only had 400+ cars. They'll never be able to reach 1000 cars like GT will until the next Xbox comes out.

They already have some of the market that GT has - they just want MOAR! :lol: :P

I've got plenty of negative things to say about games on all three systems I own including the FM franchise. I was more talking about the dismissing out of hand any new information or ideas that are released on a rival console. I'm looking forward to all three presentations and will be looking for the positives in all three rather than the negatives. :)

Well, nothing is going to replace the actual controllers for the hardcore users. With a physical wheel and the head-tracking being included, I'd that that would be just about perfect for the game. Better yet would be if that Kinect would let you throw switches/buttons in the car to let you do extra things. You know, activate Launch Control at the start of a race, flash your lights at a slower car you're coming up on, etc. There are a lot of interesting possibilities coming out of this, and I'm pretty sure Turn 10 will be sharing a lot of it with us as things move forward.

I've got plenty of negative things to say about games on all three systems I own including the FM franchise. I was more talking about the dismissing out of hand any new information or ideas that are released on a rival console. I'm looking forward to all three presentations and will be looking for the positives in all three rather than the negatives. :)

I completely understand. As someone going to school to be a game developer ("3D interactive design") I just simply can't dismiss the negatives as I used to. lol, it's just not possible for me to anymore =[.

I'm sure that you'll be able to use a normal steering wheel for driving, I think being a 'kinetic' event, no doubt they would show it this way for a reason..

I liked the detailed walk arounds, if as their blog states it's rendered in real time, that's quite impressive, but I do see that yes there is a large disparity between that and the shown in-game driving, but this is Forza, it's not about graphic whores, it's about car whores (alledgedly)..

Head tracking is surely the new thing with GT5/FM4, and having more single player challenges ala PGR should possibly boost the offline mode in FM..

Online luckily doesn't need too much work, we all know how it needs to be improved, so lets hope they do..

So they are going to add working led lights in 2011? Way to finish the game. I was expecting an expansion of some sort.....

Wow, so MS and Forza implement the exact same thing as Sony and GT5 and it's crap. Some people make me laugh :lol:.

Is it cool? Sure. Is it gimmicky? Absolutely. Will I ever use it? Not a chance. I think motion controlling stuff is stupid. I play a game to sit on my ass and be lazy, as do most people I would think.

Plus what is the point of head tracking? It doesn't even make a whole lot of sense to me.

Last edited:
Yep same technique as the "showroom" in Forza 3. Higher models in show room, lower models in race. Thankfully GT5 doesn't have to pull such tricks :sly:

They're the same models in my game, I'm not sure about yours. Either that or the difference is not distinguishable in which case it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Also, people were warned about comments like that earlier in the thread.

Back