• Voted Leave - Second Referendum

• Did not vote/abstained - May's Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - No Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - Second Referendum

• Voted Remain - May's Deal

• Voted Remain - No Deal

• Voted Remain - Second Referendum

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have found the Greek demands for the Elgin marbles in any future EU-UK trade deal both cathartic and dripping in Schadenfreude.

Brexit will cost the UK up to 30 times more than it will gain back from striking a Trump trade deal
https://www.businessinsider.com/bre...e-deal-2020-3?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T

• The UK government has published its own assessment of the potential benefits of striking a post-Brexit trade deal with Donald Trump.
  • The analysis suggests a deal could increase the size of the UK economy by up to 0.16% over fifteen years.
  • However, previous UK government analysis suggests that leaving the EU will shrink the economy by up to 6.7% over the same period.

Remember, this whole Brexit thing was supposed to be a benefit....

Fintan O'Toole
Everybody knows Boris Johnson can lie for England.

To his supporters, it was one of his best assets. They believed he could bamboozle the European Union into giving him the only Brexit deal that is really acceptable – one that gives Britain all the advantages of being in the EU without any of the botheration of being a member.

The problem is that congenital mendacity isn’t just for foreigners. If you lie for England, you will also lie to England.

This week, these two streams of fabrication finally became one. In openly admitting that it signed the withdrawal agreement with the EU in bad faith, Johnson’s Vote Leave government also implicitly confessed that it lied wholesale to the electorate in December’s general election. The cross-contamination of domestic politics by the deceit that is Brexit’s DNA is now complete.

Full article here:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...en-ready-brexit-cummings-withdrawal-agreement

As an interested outsider, with close family members living both in England and Scotland, I find all this unsettling. Of course we all know states and foreign relations are defined mostly by how much power (economic, military and political) they wield. And foreign relations are many times a tale of treason and duplicity. However ... that the UK is basically saying to the entire world that whatever treaties they sign mean nothing will immediately take a good chunk off the political power, on a medium term will take a good chunk of economic power and, inevitable, military power will follow the downward trend.

I just can't understand how one can be so irresponsible.

That was quick. Sunderland will be happy as as well as others like Sony in Wales, Hitachi's train operations as well as the 200 other Japanese companies in the UK.

Last edited:
A deal has been done. Very shortly after Hitachi announced that they are pulling out of their Welsh nuclear operations, a blow for the UK energy industry and the Royal Navy. The Hitachi train-building operation in the UK was already in doubt after they failed to win supply projects late last year. Whether or not these involvements will now be revisited remains to be seen although in the case of the trains the build contracts have been awarded elsewhere.

US-UK trade deal: what many Brexiters seem to want is the US to affirm not UK ‘sovereignty’, but UK superiority over Ireland and the EU

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/uk-us-trade-deal-ireland/
Those last two sentences really flattened the article. It's like he's saying the Tories want the Godlike power to refuse trade deals based on sovereignty which he makes out as some ultra arrogant claim that we're too proud and important when citing sovereignty when disagreeing with another country only really means "we don't want to do that as it isn't in line with the things we want to do" which is pretty standard fare in the world of reasons not to do things.

I don't understand why he didn't think his point was strong enough without that redundant hyperbole. "The Tories are kind of dicks, and they come across like dicks, and they do their business in the manner of dicks" covers it without trying to conjure the image of Boris Palpatine.

Also the "France is their only ally" point about the special relationship is a bit moist when we all know a lot of Americans really soured on the French when the latter decided not to join the Unwinnable-Illegal-War-In-The-Desert club.

Tl;Dr: I think this guy makes a lot of good points but there's a big leap between what he's saying and what his headline and closing statement imply.

Tl;Dr: I think this guy makes a lot of good points but there's a big leap between what he's saying and what his headline and closing statement imply.
I think the headline is pretty straightforward. If Brexit can't be achieved without throwing Northern Ireland under the bus, then it follows that Brexiters consider their needs to have superiority over Ireland's. They've already shown that they don't care about breaching the EU withdrawal agreement. Why should they worry about upholding the Good Friday Agreement?

Also the "France is their only ally" point about the special relationship is a bit moist when we all know a lot of Americans really soured on the French when the latter decided not to join the Unwinnable-Illegal-War-In-The-Desert club.

I'm not sure whether what "a lot of Americans" thought in the 1990s equates with American foreign policy towards the French today. The article doesn't say France is the US's only ally either. It mentions Germany and Italy too so I don't see why it's a "moist" point (whatever that means).

Last edited:
UK has secured yet another trade deal, this time with Canada to ensure at the very least the same terms we were on with them with the EU one, with scope to create a more ambitious one down the line.

Last edited:
The government must be hoping everyone signs an "interim" deal to give them more time to negotiate an exit agreement. I guess it's a strategy... *shrugs*

Last edited:
In all fairness, Daily Fail reporting aside, there probably are a lot of British people who are mad about the 'new' rules... and in all probability, didn't vote Leave.

It sounds like the Mail was just nutpicking if this article's research is accurate and 7/10 expats would have voted to remain.

https://www.iexpats.com/what-if-british-expats-had-voted-in-the-brexit-referendum/

Not sure those numbers add up even if accurate, on the face of it they don't but it really doesn't give enough detail. One might asssume that if thousands were complaining about not being to get their ballot in on time, then that leaves millions who did... but they don't give a figure for it. They do note that 2 million are excluded by the 15-year rule. So it might be that around half of all expats did cast a vote, meaning that the "what if" swing would be halved resulting in an unchanged 'leave' result. In fact, even if all 3 million eligible voted in those proportions the result wouldn't change. Also, we know from more extensive polls that generally the leave vote was underestimated.

But that's kind of by-the-by. What would be more pertinent is knowing how many of those complaining about the 3 month rule voted leave - bet it's not zero! :lol:

The article says it's all anecdotal but I can’t imagine a majority of turkeys/expats were shortsighted enough to vote for Christmas/their own interests.

As I understand it the margin of victory was 1,269,501 so even half of three million people could have made a substantial difference. It's difficult to tell.

Last edited:
The article says it's all anecdotal but I can’t imagine a majority of turkeys/expats were shortsighted enough to vote for Christmas/their own interests.

Didn't suggest they would, only that although it would've been closer the result most likely wouldn't have changed. The article really has to have everything line up just so to be able to calculate that a narrow Remain win was somehow foiled. The main error in their calc appears to be assuming that none of the expats were able to have their vote counted.

I received my third-nation Slovak residency card today and had to hand over the EU citizen one.

More paperwork and fewer labour rights. Yay!

:indiff:

Last edited:
I received my third-nation Slovak residency card today and had to hand over the EU citizen one.

More paperwork and fewer labour rights. Yay!

The immediate personal consequences of Brexit for me? I just put in my application for Hungarian citizenship for myself & my two daughters. Crazy really, but that's how it is

Stop whinging remoaners! Think of the all sovereignty we have and the great deal were going to get!!!z1!

Latest Posts

Back