Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,479 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is bigotry all over the news, and other groups have tried and succeeded to protest that.

https://www.christiantoday.com/arti...ot-homophobes-says-christian-group/131847.htm

If you think Muslims are the only religious group getting special treatment in the UK then it sounds like you aren't familiar with the "gay wedding cake" case where Christians actively discriminated against a same sex couple.

I'm not surprised that other religious groups joined the protest, but the article says about hundreds of predominantly muslim parents who started the petition. But they must be from some fringe group within muslim community, right?

Oh cool, Section 28 is on its way back?

Except in that case it was the government which legally enshrined the prohibition of any LGBT education by local authorities at all. Not AIDS awareness, not homophobia education, not adoption, nothing.

Just by the by, when the first attempt at repealling Section 28 in Parliament was defeated then Shadow Education secretary Theresa May called it "a victory for common sense".

I'm not surprised that other religious groups joined the protest, but the article says about hundreds of predominantly muslim parents who started the petition. But they must be from some fringe group within muslim community, right?
I really don't see what point you're trying to make. Most of the protesters are Muslims because most of the schoolchildren are Muslims. Nobody is saying they're not bigoted, I'm just countering your insinuation that Muslims are getting special treatment that other religions aren't getting.

Last edited:
I'm just countering your insinuation that Muslims are getting special treatment that other religions aren't getting.

I mentioned conservatives in the first post as an example of other groups, but sure they are just individuals with conservative views without any organization, so hardly a "group" so I get why you think I was talking about other religious groups.

Can someone tell me how is Milton Keynes for living? I'm Croat, never thought to go work abroad, but atm I'm unemployed and have some opportunities. If this goes through, I'll have job there but I'm interested how is it to live there? I also need to say that I prefer peace over loud places because I lived my life pretty loudly all this years

Can someone tell me how is Milton Keynes for living? I'm Croat, never thought to go work abroad, but atm I'm unemployed and have some opportunities. If this goes through, I'll have job there but I'm interested how is it to live there? I also need to say that I prefer peace over loud places because I lived my life pretty loudly all this years

50 reasons to love Milton Keynes. And yes, the concrete cows are an actual thing. I used to go there quite often many years ago when I worked for Yamaha, a bit too suburban for me but not a bad place overall. Get advice from locals on the best parts to live in, obviously.

50 reasons to love Milton Keynes. And yes, the concrete cows are an actual thing. I used to go there quite often many years ago when I worked for Yamaha, a bit too suburban for me but not a bad place overall. Get advice from locals on the best parts to live in, obviously.

Yes, obviously. I haven't even been there yet so I just thought to get some random experience... And thought maybe someone who is writing here lives in MK. I heard about concrete cows haha.. Firstly I heard about the town many years ago because famous FC Wimbledon moved football club there.. I'm still far from moving (at least I think)..

It's not the worst place in the UK to live, especially if you like roundabouts and council estates which all look the same...

It's not the worst place in the UK to live, especially if you like roundabouts and council estates which all look the same...

I actually prefer roundabouts.. But you know for most of us everything is on the "wrong" side.. :P

I got feedback from everyone something like meh, it's ok..

I've only briefly passed through Milton Keynes but I always liked Neil Gaiman's view on the place.

It was built to be modern, efficient, healthy, and, all in all, a pleasant place to live. Many Britons find this amusing.

We don't like things that "work". We enjoy having something to complain about; the fact that the book Crap Towns got a sequel due to readers submitting their own towns speaks volumes to that effect.

39. The internet of things
Milton Keynes is at the leading edge of digital research. In a joint project with Cambridge-based startup Neul, BT built 15 base stations across the city in 2014 connected to the internet with the aim of picking up signals from sensors in thousands of objects: bins that can send out alerts when they’re overflowing, soap dispensers that get clamorous when they’re empty, parking spaces that can let you know they’re free.

Christ

I'm actually thinking of going with car if I agree everyhing as I please.. I know it's insane but I already pulled off stuns like this and it's not even 2000 km... But I don't trust my Brera very much, I had more reliable cars back in the past.. I have one silly question.. For example if I come there with Croatian plates.. Can I drive car i Uk till my ensurance/plates expire anyways ?

I'm actually thinking of going with car if I agree everyhing as I please.. I know it's insane but I already pulled off stuns like this and it's not even 2000 km... But I don't trust my Brera very much, I had more reliable cars back in the past.. I have one silly question.. For example if I come there with Croatian plates.. Can I drive car i Uk till my ensurance/plates expire anyways ?

So are you coming over here for;

A) Our Jerrrbss?

B) Our sweet, sweet juicy welfare and benefits system?

Nah just joking...

I normally only go to MK once a year for Christmas shopping, I sense that a lot of people who only pass through tend to visualise the depressingness of the centre of MK, rather than the suburban area... which seems of only average depressingness.

It's fairly handy for Silverstone (about 20-30 mins, unless it's British GP weekend, in which case it's probably only marginally more convenient than Croatia), it's about half an hour from Santa Pod raceway, an hour from Rockingham circuit, and less than 2 hours from Brands Hatch (M25 dependent). It's got a reasonably good Kart track too.

Some have opined that Boris has got a haircut and stopping telling jokes, because he's angling after a post-May leadership bid.

Someone should probably have told his advisers. Phrasing, Boris... phrasing.

So are you coming over here for;

A) Our Jerrrbss?

B) Our sweet, sweet juicy welfare and benefits system?

Nah just joking...

I normally only go to MK once a year for Christmas shopping, I sense that a lot of people who only pass through tend to visualise the depressingness of the centre of MK, rather than the suburban area... which seems of only average depressingness.

It's fairly handy for Silverstone (about 20-30 mins, unless it's British GP weekend, in which case it's probably only marginally more convenient than Croatia), it's about half an hour from Santa Pod raceway, an hour from Rockingham circuit, and less than 2 hours from Brands Hatch (M25 dependent). It's got a reasonably good Kart track too.

Thanks mate for the tracks info.. I don't know yet if I'll come.. I'm just asking because there is possibility...

And to be honest I don't know nothing about your benefits systems etc.. But I wouldn't mind even if you didn't joke.. I'm aware that weird things are happening in the world with migrations ..

UKIP wants a referendum on the abolition of the Welsh Assembly

Okay, number one they can kiss my arse. That's that out of the way.

UKIP should respect the results of the two referenda there have already been on the Assembly; in 1997 on its creation and in 2011 on further powers for it. You can't just keep voting on something until you get what you want (!)

The absurdity of UKIP contesting elections in Wales never fails to sadden me.

UKIP should respect the results of the two referenda there have already been on the Assembly; in 1997 on its creation and in 2011 on further powers for it. You can't just keep voting on something until you get what you want (!)

What saddens me more, is that the BBC gives these idiots a platform in the first place.

At least people know what UKIP stand for now rather than just the EU issue.
What saddens me more, is that the BBC gives these idiots a platform in the first place.
The BBC has been forever pro Brexit since the debate started and given the Tories and UKIP a fairly healthy support.

The BBC has been forever pro Brexit since the debate started and given the Tories and UKIP a fairly healthy support.

It's interesting that I read a lot from pro-Leave voters saying that they think the BBC is anti-Brexit. That suggests to me that perhaps their journalism is largely where it should be - in the middle and/or neither.

It's interesting that I read a lot from pro-Leave voters saying that they think the BBC is anti-Brexit. That suggests to me that perhaps their journalism is largely where it should be - in the middle and/or neither.
Perhaps. But the BBC through constant appearances on question time, have I got news for you, news night etc catapulted Farage into the mainstream. In doing so they helped validate UKIP as a political party and not just another collection of idiots on the fringe like the BNP.

Perhaps. But the BBC through constant appearances on question time, have I got news for you, news night etc catapulted Farage into the mainstream. In doing so they helped validate UKIP as a political party and not just another collection of idiots on the fringe like the BNP.
They have a legal responsibility to give air time to the relevant parties and you severely overestimate the relevance of TV these days.

Perhaps. But the BBC through constant appearances on question time, have I got news for you, news night etc catapulted Farage into the mainstream.

I think you're overstating their influence. Kilroy-Silk and Farage were each well known and UKIP was getting a big Euro vote share over 15 years ago. Their record in UK parliamentary elections has been much worse of course but not all of UK governance is about that. As we well know now. There was no reason why the BBC should exclude a successful MEP from their programming, however much of a tit he is.

An interesting article from the BBC in 2013, if a slightly naive one given what we know now.

Back