Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,479 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
*South African, and there have got to be better hot sauces in the US.

Even in the UK I prefer this guy's product. No tomato, no vinegar, just naga and scotch bonnet.

There definitely are better sauces here but I wasn't really expecting a "hot sauce". I'm actually not a fan of "hot sauce" at all unless there's just a hint of it in a stew or something. Buttery buffalo sauce is the jam but it ruins me these days. I also absolutely love vinegar-based bbq sauces but I suppose these things are sort of our specialty. Very heavy, extremely rich flavors I'd say.

Peri peri sauce didn't have a taste or texture like any sort of hot sauce I've ever had. Almost how a cucumber is lost somewhere between fruit and veg but is still tasty, peri peri was hard to describe. It did not have the rich flavor I was expecting. It's almost like people in other parts of the world don't try to make meals as heavy as possible lol.

There definitely are better sauces here but I wasn't really expecting a "hot sauce". I'm actually not a fan of "hot sauce" at all unless there's just a hint of it in a stew or something. Buttery buffalo sauce is the jam but it ruins me these days. I also absolutely love vinegar-based bbq sauces but I suppose these things are sort of our specialty. Very heavy, extremely rich flavors I'd say.

Peri peri sauce didn't have a taste or texture like any sort of hot sauce I've ever had. Almost how a cucumber is lost somewhere between fruit and veg but is still tasty, peri peri was hard to describe. It did not have the rich flavor I was expecting. It's almost like people in other parts of the world don't try to make meals as heavy as possible lol.
I know what you mean. The sauce I posted is the mildest of the three they do despite the name. It just tastes good and adds excitement to the meats I'm eating.

I also eat a lot of this stuff. There is a US equivalent I found on amazon but that has pineapple mixed in, ugh.

Last edited:
Even in the UK I prefer this guy's product. No tomato, no vinegar, just naga and scotch bonnet.

.. and flavourless bulking additives such as water, starch and maltodextrin, and flavourless chilli extract to bump the heat level of the diluted mix back up.. and then dried/powdered tomato, garlic and onion to impart flavour to the flavourless bulking additives. I get not having tomato or vinegar might be flavour choices, but such ingredients have other, worthwhile purposes, and their presence really isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of the sauce.

Don't want to sound like a chilli-sauce snob... if you like it... crack on, it's good to support independent producers, but if you want a 'purer' sauce that isn't full of filler or vinegar, a decent fermented sauce would be your best bet, and I'd suggest finding one that doesn't reintroduce chilli extract is generally a good sign of 'purity'.

.. and flavourless bulking additives such as water, starch and maltodextrin, and flavourless chilli extract to bump the heat level of the diluted mix back up.. and then dried/powdered tomato, garlic and onion to impart flavour to the flavourless bulking additives. I get not having tomato or vinegar might be flavour choices, but such ingredients have other, worthwhile purposes, and their presence really isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of the sauce.

Don't want to sound like a chilli-sauce snob... if you like it... crack on, it's good to support independent producers, but if you want a 'purer' sauce that isn't full of filler or vinegar, a decent fermented sauce would be your best bet, and I'd suggest finding one that doesn't reintroduce chilli extract is generally a good sign of 'purity'.
It absolutely is a flavour choice with me. I don't get on with vinegar based chilli sauce. Can you recommend a brand that you prefer if this one is so bad? I'm eager to taste the difference.

Last edited:
It absolutely is a flavour choice with me. I don't get on with vinegar based chilli sauce. Can you recommend a brand that you prefer if this one is so bad? I'm eager to taste the difference.
If I find one, I'll certainly let you know... failing that, if I get a decent harvest this year, I'll make you one!

Vinegar (or the lack of it) may be a flavour choice for you, but in sauce making it's often used to lower the pH of sauce. A lower pH means it can sit on your shelf for longer and stuff is less likely to grow in it, and Vinegar is a natural way of doing this (versus maltodextrin). Fermentation of peppers will drop the pH of the sauce without requiring vinegar, or preservative powder, or even cooking, and... for my two cents, brings out the flavours in the sauce way, way better, but then, it takes way longer to manufacture with fermentation, so less people do it... it's simply a suggestion anyway.

GB News viewing figures fall to zero for certain programmes as viewers boycott the new channel over 'taking the knee' gesture:

That's right. A GB News presenter showed his solidarity with the England footballers last week by 'taking a knee' live on air, causing outrage among GB News's fledgling audience.

GB News viewing figures fall to zero for certain programmes as viewers boycott the new channel over 'taking the knee' gesture:

That's right. A GB News presenter showed his solidarity with the England footballers last week by 'taking a knee' live on air, causing outrage among GB News's fledgling audience.
GB News has been a disaster so far and it's been a joy to see it fail. Thing is - will it fail completely or will it survive?

Last edited:

So the news channel that was supposed to champion "free speech" is coming out against someone....making a gesture they want to control??

5gnuak.jpg

Animated GIF

He was also doing it front of a black woman who wasn't doing it, likely didn't want to do it at the time, and looked extremely uncomfortable with him doing it. There's a time and a place. Does he walk around the grocery store and kneel in front of every black person he sees? I don't doubt this dude had good intentions but in my opinion that was pretty tasteless. It's the job of white folks to listen, learn, and assist where they can, not to perform awkward and unwanted displays of whatever that was. I don't doubt many of the people boycotting this station are actually supportive of movements against racism, but are boycotting because this guy is clearly misguided.

Last edited:
I gather it's mostly comparable to Fox News (I'm surprised it isn't owned by ****-eating Rupert Murdoch), with the aim to appeal to the most people rather than to the most unhinged people like Newsmax or One America News.

Okay, stick with me on this one.

March 10 - Serving police officer Wayne Couzens is charged with the kidnap, rape, and murder of Sarah Everard, who was kidnapped in central London, raped, and strangled to death (I'm not sure what the order on those two is), before her body was dumped in a gravel bag at a paintball centre next to a railway line in Kent*
June 8 - Serving police officer Wayne Couzens pleads guilty to the premeditated kidnap and rape of Sarah Everard, and admits responsibility for her death.
July 9 - Serving police officer Wayne Couzens pleads guilty to the murder of Sarah Everard.
July 16 - Serving police officer Wayne Couzens is dismissed from the Metropolitan Police at a disciplinary hearing.

Now... everything has a process, sure... but surely being found guilty of, or pleading guilty to, offences which carry custodial sentences of this magnitude constitute a clear breach of any police code of conduct (what with the police being charged with protecting rights and all) and should qualify for instant dismissal with no disciplinary hearing required?

I know he's been on remand in prison for the last four months, but he's officially been a murdering rapist kidnapper for an entire week while still being a copper. And he's been a rapist kidnapper for more than a month, but still a copper. If nothing else, he's drawn a cop's salary for a month after pleading guilty to these crimes.

I've seen people sacked quicker for misgendering a fish on Facebook.

*I've paintballed twice ever. Once was there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say based on previous incidents over the years that the Met Police's tree extends to the highest branch so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Unfortunately we live in a society where people engage in lawsuits for anything and everything.

And the law on dismissal is very clear that the policy of the employer must be applied to the letter.

Which usually includes various appeal procedures which can be dragged on for quite a while.

I've been party in the past to dealings where the employer was clearly correct to dismiss, but where they did not follow clause X in their procedures and as a result the ex employee was paid a significant amount.

All large bodies such as the Met (and the NHS) face this daily.

In practice, the internal conversation goes
1) should they be dismissed
2) will we get sued

The Met may or may not have gone OTT (only they will know), but I wouldnt be surprised if guidance from solicitors over the timing was taken somewhere.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we live in a society where people engage in lawsuits for anything and everything.

And the law on dismissal is very clear that the policy of the employer must be applied to the letter.

Which usually includes various appeal procedures which can be dragged on for quite a while.

I've been party in the past to dealings where the employer was clearly correct to dismiss, but where they did not follow clause X in their procedures and as a result the ex employee was paid a significant amount.

All large bodies such as the Met (and the NHS) face this daily.

In practice, the internal conversation goes
1) should they be dismissed
2) will we get sued

The Met may or may not have gone OTT (only they will know), but I wouldnt be surprised if guidance from solicitors over the timing was taken somewhere.
Definitely the case, I'm just amazed that things that literally disqualify you from ever becoming a police officer:
Metropolitan Police
Mandatory rejection
There are some offences that will lead to mandatory rejection. Under normal circumstances, if an applicant declares any of the following convictions or security-vetting checks reveal them, the application will be rejected.

1. Any offence committed as an adult, (i.e. aged 17 years and over), which involves elements of dishonesty, corruption, serious violence or injury, serious involvement with drugs or abuse of children, substantial financial gain or serious loss to anyone.
2. Any offence that has resulted in a prison sentence (including suspended or deferred sentence)
3. Any of the under mentioned offences:
  • Murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, firearms offences
  • Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH)
  • Actual Bodily Harm (ABH)
  • Indecent Assault
  • Rape
  • Burglary
  • Theft/Fraud/Deception
  • Possession of a class A drug (Heroin, Morphine) or more than one class B drug (Amphetamines)
  • Supplying drugs of any kind
  • Abuse or neglect of children
are not also grounds for immediate, summary dismissal:

Last edited:
I gather it's mostly comparable to Fox News (I'm surprised it isn't owned by ****-eating Rupert Murdoch), with the aim to appeal to the most people rather than to the most unhinged people like Newsmax or One America News.
This could easily go into the CPC thread, but - to echo @Touring Mars :

Last edited:
Anyone want to place bets how long before the Johnson administration collapses of its own volition regardless of voter intention?

Can't carry on like that surely.

Anyone want to place bets how long before the Johnson administration collapses of its own volition regardless of voter intention?

Can't carry on like that surely.
Seems to me that the lot of them have become Teflon coated since brexit.

Back