Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You would think the workload and responsibilities that come with being an MP would be more than enough to keep them occupied, it's almost as if they're not giving the job its full attention...

Labour MP Kim Leadbeater has squeaked into her sister Jo Cox's Batley & Spen constituency in a tense by-election which saw her being intimidated on the campaign trail... I'm not sure by who, though.

Local paper the Telegraph & Argus have talked to political analyst Andrew Mycock who believes this is little more than a temporary reprieve for the embattled party.

All I can say is that that's an unfortunate surname. And I thought Hancock had it bad...

Last edited:
Labour MP Kim Leadbeater has squeaked into her sister Jo Cox's Batley & Spen constituency in a tense byelection which saw her being intimidated on the campaign trail... I'm not sure by who, though.

Local paper the Telegraph & Argus have talked to a political analyst Andrew Mycock who believes this is little more than a temporary reprieve for the embattled Labour party.

All I can say is that that's an unfortunate surname. And I thought Hancock had it bad...

I believe it was by supporters of George Galloway, who sounds like a bit of a lunatic. From what I can gather, he's some vaguely left-wing micro-Trump that bounces between parties and also for some reason backed Farage in 2019. He seems to have attempted to split the Asian vote in Batley & Spen by making support for Palestine one of his main policies.

I believe it was by supporters of George Galloway, who sounds like a bit of a lunatic. From what I can gather, he's some vaguely left-wing micro-Trump that bounces between parties and also for some reason backed Farage in 2019. He seems to have attempted to split the Asian vote in Batley & Spen by making support for Palestine one of his main policies.
I suspected it was him. The BBC News article written by their Leeds desk featured him prominently without directly coming out and saying he's the demagogue in question. But I suspect they're expecting readers to make the connection as from what I understand George has rabble-rouser written all over him.

Sounds like a GB News caller!
If he's like the unlucky feller who worked at my last job I believe it's pronounced "mee-koh". 🤔

The job before that there was a lady called De'Ath ("day-ath").

Last edited:
I'm going to sound old here, but I can't believe we've a generation who doesn't know who George Galloway is.

This is the man who split from Labour over the second Gulf War because his best friend Sadaam Hussein was a nice guy and definitely not a war-mongering, genocidal despot. This is man who claimed to help (according to him) with the release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie Bombing terrorist who only had 3-4 weeks to live in 2009, yet still lived until 2012. This is also the man who thinks he's a cat...

A curious but apparently common side-effect of the pandemic has been for councils across the UK to cut back on what they consider to be non-essential services, like vermin control.

My apartment complex is currently dealing with a vermin control issue, but I've also heard some horror stories from other people where the situation is a lot worse.

Last week, I spotted a dismembered rat on the pavement on my way to work. Rather disgusting, but hardly surprising given that there's always bags of rubbish dumped directly on the pavement at that spot. Anyway, this morning I was treated to another grisly sight - this time, two seagulls ripping apart a dead rat and eating it on the pavement. A few weeks ago I also spotted a dead pigeon being eaten by a seagull, ironically just 50 yards from an RSPB tent...

-

edti: Eww. And now there appears to be what looks like a headless pigeon in the car park next to my apartment 🤢

Last edited:
Came across this in my camera roll from a few months ago haha
1625583619424.jpeg

In essence we're a bit of a mongrel nation, and "native" very much depends on your perspective and location, and point in history you start. Given our rather northerly and exposed location, the British Isles were regularly under several tens or hundreds of feet of ice until about 10,000 years ago, and not islands, and though humans (and human ancestors) did periodically settle here over at least the last million years, they were regularly cleaned out by advancing ice and had to start again.

We generally consider the "indigenous" peoples to be the Celts but really they were just the first to actually stay here after the channel flooded and made us into an island group. There's mesolithic settlements dating back 7,000 years or more (likely Scandinavian in origin), and the Bell-Beaker Culture from 2,500BC (more a culture than a people), then the Hallstatt culture of around 1,000BC which gave rise to the Celts and particularly the Celts of the British Isles - sometimes called Britons.
Sounds like someone should tell this bloke. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
CPS announcing guidance on migrants claiming asylum when entering across the Channel after Priti Patel and the Home Office's tougher stance.

Migrants who steer dinghies across the English Channel with the sole intention of claiming asylum in port will no longer be prosecuted, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.

The Home Office has labelled small-boat pilots “people smugglers” and threatened to jail them for life, despite an official report finding organised crime group members are not on board.

It has been pushing to criminalise Channel crossings after Priti Patel’s vow to make the route “unviable” was followed by record numbers, with officials using drones to film dinghies and single out migrants who steering them.

Last edited:
CPS announcing guidance on migrants claiming asylum when entering across the Channel after Priti Patel and the Home Office's tougher stance.

Migrants who steer dinghies across the English Channel with the sole intention of claiming asylum in port will no longer be prosecuted, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.

The Home Office has labelled small-boat pilots “people smugglers” and threatened to jail them for life, despite an official report finding organised crime group members are not on board.

It has been pushing to criminalise Channel crossings after Priti Patel’s vow to make the route “unviable” was followed by record numbers, with officials using drones to film dinghies and single out migrants who steering them.
Priti is a little rat. Remember when she used an immigration raid as a photo-op? She's got heavy Delores Umbridge vibes.

London was nice when I visited in 2012, we stayed in a hotel right near the Thames and we often took public transit near the O2. It's funny how in Pokemon Sword/Shield - which has a region modeled on the UK - the gym stadiums look quite similar to the O2. And I love how there's a stonehenge Pokemon, now.

Last edited:
What is it about football that attracts such significant numbers of racist and violent thugs in so many nations that play the game? Who do the these people follow football as opposed to say rugby or cricket?

What is it about football that attracts such significant numbers of racist and violent thugs in so many nations that play the game? Who do the these people follow football as opposed to say rugby or cricket?
To be fair, I'd say there was plenty of racists that follow both of those sports. And I'd say that motorsport has an abundance of them too, especially in F1 since the protests last year unearthed plenty of previously hidden racists.
As for the violent thug element, unfortunately it's just part of the culture at this point.

Last edited:
It's the world's most popular sport, and the more people you get following something the more asshats you have.

It's the world's most popular sport, and the more people you get following something the more asshats you have.

England seems to have a disproportinate amount though. As far as I know, countries with roughly the same number of inhabitants such as France, Germany and Italy don't have a problem with trashing the host city anywhere near the magnitude that England does. I could be wrong on that but the perception from almost anywhere else in Europe is that England is one of the places with "bad fans".

In all honesty, based purely on sporting and infrastructural merit, England has been long overdue a tournament. I have thought this for a long time but things like this only set it back further and further and further.

Eastern Europe has entered the chat

Note how I said "one of" and was talking about destruction of property. Perception-wise, England is in a league of its own.

I live in Slovakia. I'm well aware how central and eastern European countries are with football and racism. England, rightly or wrongly, gets lumped in with them.

Note how I said "one of" and was talking about destruction of property. Perception-wise, England is in a league of its own.

I live in Slovakia. I'm well aware how central and eastern European countries are with football and racism. England, rightly or wrongly, gets lumped in with them.
Oh our fans are terrible, at least eastern European hooligans and ultras focus on destroying each other, rather than the country they're visiting. I was just trying to be funny haha

Found some Nando's peri peri sauce at Whole Foods. I'm excited to finally mix some classic American fried chicken with this staple of British cuisine.

Found some Nando's peri peri sauce at Whole Foods. I'm excited to finally mix some classic American fried chicken with this staple of British cuisine.
*South African, and there have got to be better hot sauces in the US.

Even in the UK I prefer this guy's product. No tomato, no vinegar, just naga and scotch bonnet.

Last edited:
Back