British Touring Car Championship Game and Esport Series Confirmed, Scheduled for 2022

8 tracks might be a bit less but I think they could probably expand it with non season tracks like European Truck Racing game including Laguna Seca, the cars and classes in BTCC looks sufficient for a game.

No definitely not. Its a BTCC game. You buy into it knowing what you're getting. Chuck in a couple extra layouts from the tracks you're modelling anyway but it needs to stand on its own.

Along with the 2004 season, TOCA 2 was what helped me properly get into the BTCC. To hear that a spiritual successor is in the works is very pleasing considering the championship's absence from most later TOCA/GRID titles.

If the developer turns out to be Slightly Mad, I sincerely hope they make it more playable on a controller than the original Project Cars.

If the developer turns out to be Codemasters, I wouldn't mind if the physics/handling model was a mix of Dirt Rally 2.0 and Grid Autosport.

If done right, this could be a fantastic game. Been itching to see modern BTCC represented properly in its own game for many years now, so glad to hear it's starting to take shape. I do echo the sentiments that they should focus on making sure they properly replicate the current grid of NGTC cars before they even think about adding classic BTCC machines.

Don't get me wrong it'd be great to race some the awesome Super Tourers or BTC-T era cars, but to be honest, there are so many top-notch mods that represents those cars so well, I don't think their a priority. At the end of the day, when I feel like driving a TWR Volvo S40 or the Prodrice Ford Mondeo's, I hope on Race 07 or GTR2 for example and have a blast (some of the best touring car mods around for those two games by the way).

Besides, the current crop of BTCC cars are every bit as fantastic when it comes to the enjoyment factor, certainly as a spectator, and having had the pleasure of going to Donington Park to witness them in person, I can attest to that claim. Which would make me more eager to see them nail the sounds (I don't think the current cars sound bad at all, opposite if anything) and whole atmosphere the BTCC has more so. Also, I feel like the current BTCC is experiencing an equally golden era as it did in the Super Touring days, with some the best racing the sport has ever witness over the last decade or so, consistent 30 car grids, and an excellently stable rule set, would be rude not to try and replicate that in the virtual world.

There is certainly enough content on the TOCA package to make a game in its own right outside of the BTCC itself, with the likes of the Ginetta Juniors and GT4 SuperCup, Porsche Carrera Cup, F4 and now the MINI Challenge to boot. Full seasons from each championship would be fantastic, working your way up to the BTCC and doing a full 30 race season in the BTCC itself, plenty of opportunity.

That said I wouldn't mind the addition of some classic BTCC cars, be it BTC-T, Super Touring, Group A and beyond, wouldn't be shunned. They could be used to make classic BTCC events, à la to the classic events the recent F1 games have had in their career modes. It all comes down to execution, and crucially which studio will be making it, I feel like Codies are likely to be one of the main choices, and I feel probably the best fit to make it enjoyable to a wider audience. Just a case of hoping Codemasters are up to scratch and deliver on their goals if that is the case; especially how their reputation has been harshly under fire lately (one way of putting it :lol:). Will have to see either way, wait with bated breath for more news though 👍.

Last edited:
Exactly a fraction. We're in a dedicated forum geared towards SIM racing. Not representative of the majority of players. Let's get a good BTCC game first and worry about living in the dark ages another time. Theres more than enough cars, tracks and content for that to be a more than a solid game. Alan Gow has always made it clear that it will only be made if it can have all teams present.

Maybe try Assassins Creed syndicate. That has some horse and cart street racing, o.g BTCC in London. Should tickle that classic itch for you.

But you have no idea of how many members are interested in older Motorsport, this fraction comment is just your opinion.

Also I believe GTP covers all types of racing games not just those geared towards sim racing.

And why do you have to be so abrasive & rude to those who have different opinions to you ? There's no need for it at all.

But you have no idea of how many members are interested in older Motorsport, this fraction comment is just your opinion.

Also I believe GTP covers all types of racing games not just those geared towards sim racing.

And why do you have to be so abrasive & rude to those who have different opinions to you ? There's no need for it at all.

The number of classic racing games tells me all I need to know.

If you dont like my opinion or how I portray it, you know where the ignore button is.

Never played the original games, i propably should have. Its too late for that now, but isnt it a shame what this series has become? I hope this new game will be a hardcore sim.

NGTC alone would be plenty fun enough. I'm not against cars from previous era's, but in a game like this, if they can't field a full of grid of cars from the same era, there's much less point, IMHO. A Grid full of Nescafe Renaults doesn't appeal that much... but I'd be up for a BTCC game in general.

Before ACC I would agree with you.... I loved Project Cars 2 but seeing just how good a focused sim can be really shines a light on the shortcoming of jack of all trades and master of none approach.

I can only imagine what SMS could have done with 3-5 classes and +/- 10 tracks.

BTCC calendar is absolutely perfect for that - we have Touring cars, Porsche Cup, Ginetta GT4, GT5 (juniors) and the new Mini series (will miss the Clio cup :()

I would also be all over a WEC (either 2016 era or wait until LMDh / Hyper cars are there) or an IMSA sim.

As it is I just struggle even driving with the AI in PC2 now and dealing with the quality inconsistency car to car / track to track after racing in ACC/iRacing.

Im sure there is a market for the classics but compared to the people that would buy current series it will be very small.

Including significant other classes will only lead more towards jack of all trades and master of none again.
My main concern is the track list. While ACC also has a small track list it is superb, especially with the DLC. The BTCC track list is good, but nowhere near as good as ACC.

Personally, I would love a new game with the Australian Supercars Championship, but combining BTCC and DTM would be an easier option.

NGTC alone would be plenty fun enough. I'm not against cars from previous era's, but in a game like this, if they can't field a full of grid of cars from the same era, there's much less point, IMHO. A Grid full of Nescafe Renaults doesn't appeal that much... but I'd be up for a BTCC game in general.
That's what I'm saying. I'm all for a current BTCC car game, but geez, me thinking about the Nissan and Honda, that's MY nostalgia. I'm not forcing it on anyone. Who knows what the content will be?

Sorry not sorry for anyone if they DO decide to put a couple Super Tourers in the game.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Great news!

TOCA 2, Toca Race Driver 3 and original GRID - great times, great games!

Even Swedish Touring Car Championship was good, though more realistic with GTR team developers.

Great news!

TOCA 2, Toca Race Driver 3 and original GRID - great times, great games!

Even Swedish Touring Car Championship was good, though more realistic with GTR team developers.
That was a great help to learn the tracks on in winter. I rode Sviestad for 2 weeks before going there for a track day. Great help.

Any bets on which developer will be behind this?

- Codies is busy with F1 2020 and Dirt 5
- SMS already has PCARS3 and F&F Crossroads
- Kylotonn has their hands full with WRC9 and TDU3
- Unlikely to be PD and T10 for obvious reasons
- All the big sim developers like Kunos/Reiza/Sector3/Studio397 are too focused on their own games to make a side project like this

That leaves Milestone as the only decent dev with racing background but all they've been making lately are bike games. If it's an indie developer we've never heard of, I wouldn't be so quick to jump for joy at this announcement because the game is likely going to be...erm...not so good, to put it politely.

Also in the last few years alone we've heard annoucements for various games like GTR3 and GT Legends 2, but none of them came to fruition. What are the chances of this becoming another vaporware? :indiff:

- All the big sim developers like Kunos/Reiza/Sector3/Studio397 are too focused on their own games to make a side project like this

That leaves Milestone as the only decent dev with racing background but all they've been making lately are bike games. If it's an indie developer we've never heard of, I wouldn't be so quick to jump for joy at this announcement because the game is likely going to be...erm...not so good, to put it politely.

Also in the last few years alone we've heard annoucements for various games like GTR3 and GT Legends 2, but none of them came to fruition. What are the chances of this becoming another vaporware? :indiff:

It'll have Codies involved one way or another. I doubt Alan Gow would take it outside the UK for development. Codemasters have a lot of good studios, if its looking at a late 2021 release then it could be one of the Dirt studios (maybe some of the Rally studio will be joined by the D5 guys once its out) or a using some of their resources from SMS. Codemasters entire team won't be simply working on 2 tagines coming out in the next 4 months.

If there's more DR and SMS guys working on it then expect more of a sim. Opens up the possibility of using and modifying the madness engine with the dynamic time and weather which would be ideal for BTCC.

Codemasters has an unannounced project of a new IP that will be used by Unreal Engine 4- https://codemasters.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/2/home/requisition/157?c=codemasters

Milestone plans to release a new IP in Summer 2021 based on the information revealed after its acquisition by THQ Nordic.
1589710919-ecfjmotwwaafsfa.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. My money is still on Codemasters, the mention of multilayer experience could be specific to that role or it'll be esports focused.

Milestone would be a bit of a curveball, and when you look at their titles it doesn't exactly fit their style. But you never know.

Interesting that Codemaster is swapping for UE4. Isn't Southham the team that work on Dirt Rally and Grid?

Southam is their main facility so any major new IP would come through there. Birmingham is pretty much exclusively F1 studio. Cheshire is basically Evo Studios (onrush etc).

I bet SMS/Codies will do this, as project cars had almost all UK tracks allready.. Codemasters took over sms and sofar we didnt hear anything.. when i saw this post i immediatly thought this must be it..

I bet SMS/Codies will do this, as project cars had almost all UK tracks allready.. Codemasters took over sms and sofar we didnt hear anything.. when i saw this post i immediatly thought this must be it..

Yeah petty sure they only need to do Thruxton and Croft to complete the track list.

Codemasters has an unannounced project of a new IP that will be used by Unreal Engine 4- https://codemasters.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/2/home/requisition/157?c=codemasters

Milestone plans to release a new IP in Summer 2021 based on the information revealed after its acquisition by THQ Nordic.
1589710919-ecfjmotwwaafsfa.jpg

Very interesting information - thanks for sharing. It does beg the question, would a BTCC game be a new IP for Codies, given their past history of BTCC games. There must be a huge temptation to call it TOCA 3, or at least use the TOCA element.

You can’t play games just become they become old?
dgVoodoo works wonders for compatibility & to render old games into HD/4K then there’s texture packs.

Actually, i play a lot of retro games lately. But these are mostly shooters and action games like Doom 93. Racing games and sports game are a different kind of beast IMO, i prefer the added realism of new titles over the retro appeal. Stuff like Outrun might be an exception.

Latest Posts

Back