British Touring Car Championship Game and Esport Series Confirmed, Scheduled for 2022

So excited, especially for the tracks. I am surprised to see so many people dismissing classics. I am sure they will be there, perhaps as DLC or bonus cars.

If you need me I'll be drooling over the potential track list (taken from BTTC website)

utm2dzN.jpg

The legacy simply holds the series back at times like an iron lung.

I would love a modern remaster of an old racing era, not just supertouring but obviously that, but I completely agree. An obsession with supertouring would hold the game back and be a pedestal upon which all fans will judge it.

A brand new stand-alone BTCC game for the 2020s would be brilliant. Even if people huff and puff and grumble about no "classics", it would be much better in the long run. As long as there is some decent customisation with track configurations, weather and grids, it should be fine.

Do a separate supertouring game if it comes to that. Don't half-arse one game to include the two. Relaunch the series with a great, stand-alone base game before getting adventurous with bonus content.

It's about time we got a new BTCC game, I'll almost certainly buy it if it looks half decent. It's just a shame that the cars will be NGTC, hopefully whoever is making it doesn't make the engine sounds too realistic.

For many like me the classic late 90's would be the only reason for me to buy it. BTCC is on the up I'll admit, but it still falls short of the times when BTCC was a crashing series where a race might accidentally happen.

Couldn't disagree more. The cars were cool but the racing wasn't as exciting as it is now and its a racing series not a crashing series. Simply a waste of resources to appease a few people.

Toca 1 on ps1 was my introduction to racing games. I played until my eyes bled. Now to be able to drive on Croft again, makes me all teary eyed. Can’t wait!!!

Hours upon hours of Roca 2 in my gaming history. And I loved it.
Still, I would rather see a game with modern dynamics and physics.
If it's the old series or the modern doesn't matter to me.
I haven't seen a BTCC race since the early century but I will still race.

Awesome news! Toca Touring Cars and Toca 2 were brilliant games, two of my all-time favourites. Been waiting a very long time for a proper BTCC game. The sequels never quite cut it in my opinion.

First ever race in Toca 2 was memorable. Thunderstorm and heavy rain (visual and sound effects were amazing for a PS1 game at the time), and first experience with detailed visual damage.
Front wheel fenders could rub against tyres and dislodge, bumpers could hang off the car and drop-off a lap later, smashed window particles were animated, and hoods/bonnets could detach and temporarily blind your view until it broke off. Then there were driver animations and decent pit-wall radio speech. Great game!

Last edited:
Always had a soft spot for TOCA World Touring Cars.
Would be good to have BTCC, Australian Supercars, WTCC etc in one package, especially as Gran Turismo doesn't seem to bothered with Touring Car series.

Couldn't disagree more. I'd love to see all the classics as well as the upto date cars.

Agree to disagree. Just can't see the point wasting development time on slmetjing inly a fraction of people will care about versus having an absolutely bang on, current BTCC game with all current support series instead of mucking about with old cars, sourcing them, scanning them, doing the sounds, new game modes. Would just take too much away from where the core experience should be. Which at the end of the day is what made TOCA 1 and 2 brilliant.

Always had a soft spot for TOCA World Touring Cars.
Would be good to have BTCC, Australian Supercars, WTCC etc in one package, especially as Gran Turismo doesn't seem to bothered with Touring Car series.
I agree that this would be the way to go. BTCC even with its support series is not enough content. Including other series would also help with sales in other markets.

Agree to disagree. Just can't see the point wasting development time on slmetjing inly a fraction of people will care about versus having an absolutely bang on, current BTCC game with all current support series instead of mucking about with old cars, sourcing them, scanning them, doing the sounds, new game modes. Would just take too much away from where the core experience should be. Which at the end of the day is what made TOCA 1 and 2 brilliant.
So, why do you assume that only a fraction want that? Looking at the players in GTs as an example there are a LOT old enough to have been watching the old cars, and driving the original games.
Heck, I was old enough to have been driving for real for more than a few decades prior to trying out TOCA 2

Correction: 1997 was won by Renault

I thought the same thing but I suppose that the Audi in the game was the only car that had won the championship at that point. It was the championship winning car in the sense of being the then-defending champion.

Eh... whatev. As long as we get a decent game that races well, I'll be happy.

I'd be happy to buy this without Super Tourers as todays BTCC is still some great racing but I think adding in the Super Tourers as a classic mode would be a great addition. Just like the F1 games with the older F1 cars.

So excited, especially for the tracks. I am surprised to see so many people dismissing classics. I am sure they will be there, perhaps as DLC or bonus cars.

If you need me I'll be drooling over the potential track list (taken from BTTC website)

utm2dzN.jpg
It's a pretty short season compared to our Supercars!

Cool.
I really wish we could get a dedicated V8 Supercars game again. Oh well.
Yeah we have iRacing, but I want F1 game like for Supercars. Drivers, cars, teams and circuits are top quality really wish it could happen before Holden departs. :(

So, why do you assume that only a fraction want that? Looking at the players in GTs as an example there are a LOT old enough to have been watching the old cars, and driving the original games.
Heck, I was old enough to have been driving for real for more than a few decades prior to trying out TOCA 2

Exactly a fraction. We're in a dedicated forum geared towards SIM racing. Not representative of the majority of players. Let's get a good BTCC game first and worry about living in the dark ages another time. Theres more than enough cars, tracks and content for that to be a more than a solid game. Alan Gow has always made it clear that it will only be made if it can have all teams present.

Maybe try Assassins Creed syndicate. That has some horse and cart street racing, o.g BTCC in London. Should tickle that classic itch for you.

Im in the classic group. There have been some legendary years in BTCC, whereas i find modern cars quite bland and boring.
https://drivetribe.com/p/blast-from...M4xMSSGAmwlBsTHRLQ?iid=AE6O7tgHS7uYT5fmsXx7Xg
Why would you not want a game to have extra stuff, especially if it's done really well. However the addition of support classes would be welcome.

An F1 or rally game would be less appealing to me if it didn't include some classics. The exception is ACC, I'll still definitely pick it up despite being current season, but that's because the handling model and physics i believe will be unrivalled. But would i be happy if they added older GT3 cars? Course i would!
Unfortunately codemasters seem to always have slightly odd tarmac physics /FFB to me, so I'd need something more to the gather than the current season.
Maybe I'm unusual tho, perfectly happy to accept that but doesn't mean it's not a valid opinion

I agree that this would be the way to go. BTCC even with its support series is not enough content. Including other series would also help with sales in other markets.

Before ACC I would agree with you.... I loved Project Cars 2 but seeing just how good a focused sim can be really shines a light on the shortcoming of jack of all trades and master of none approach.

I can only imagine what SMS could have done with 3-5 classes and +/- 10 tracks.

BTCC calendar is absolutely perfect for that - we have Touring cars, Porsche Cup, Ginetta GT4, GT5 (juniors) and the new Mini series (will miss the Clio cup :()

I would also be all over a WEC (either 2016 era or wait until LMDh / Hyper cars are there) or an IMSA sim.

As it is I just struggle even driving with the AI in PC2 now and dealing with the quality inconsistency car to car / track to track after racing in ACC/iRacing.

Im sure there is a market for the classics but compared to the people that would buy current series it will be very small.

Including significant other classes will only lead more towards jack of all trades and master of none again.

8 tracks might be a bit less but I think they could probably expand it with non season tracks like European Truck Racing game including Laguna Seca, the cars and classes in BTCC looks sufficient for a game.

If this gets any sort of Super Touring representation without overshadowing the modern BTCC upon release next year, a 25th Anniversary expansion based on the original 1997 TOCA season would make for an apt addition a few months down the road.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back