British Touring Car Championship Game and Esport Series Confirmed, Scheduled for 2022

If this turns out as a modern day TOCA 2 with all the bells and whistles this could be great, but the developers repertoire isn't exactly great as already noted.

I'd fully expect the physics to be semi-sim just like the old games and that's fine, but they've got to get it right.

704 didn't make Heat, they published it. Monster Games made it.

I think its effectively a new studio making it. Based in the UK separate to 704 games, they just seem to be under the Motorsport Games banner and this will be a title that is developed by Motorsport Games themselves.

If this turns out as a modern day TOCA 2 with all the bells and whistles this could be great, but the developers repertoire isn't exactly great as already noted.

I'd fully expect the physics to be semi-sim just like the old games and that's fine, but they've got to get it right.

704 didn't make Heat, they published it. Monster Games made it.
Ah ok, I was hoping that codmasters would be making it.

I'm in two minds whether CM developing it would be good. I've not been massively impressed with many of their titles since the PS2 days, particularly in this area. Their rally and F1 games have fared better, but they're still a far cry from their PS1+2 days IMO.

I think its effectively a new studio making it. Based in the UK separate to 704 games, they just seem to be under the Motorsport Games banner and this will be a title that is developed by Motorsport Games themselves.

Yeah all the press so far certainly suggests its MG developing it themselves. They seem to have studios all over the place and they're backed by the massive Motorsport Network that has been buying up all manner of smaller sites and groups these past few years, so fingers crossed they get some good talent to do it.

I'm in two minds whether CM developing it would be good. I've not been massively impressed with many of their titles since the PS2 days, particularly in this area. Their rally and F1 games have fared better, but they're still a far cry from their PS1+2 days IMO.

Yeah all the press so far certainly suggests its MG developing it themselves. They seem to have studios all over the place and they're backed by the massive Motorsport Network that has been buying up all manner of smaller sites and groups these past few years, so fingers crossed they get some good talent to do it.

Definitley. Steve Hood and Paul Coleman certainly have decent CVs when it comes to racing titles and they certainly don't lack passion. Feel slightly happier knowing these guys are involved. I'm sure their team connections from the past will help bolster them nicely, ties to Codemasters and Evo Studios won't hurt either.

That's great news that it'll be coming on next gen in 2022, definitely exited to finally have a dedicated BTCC game again as as fan of the sport. TOCA 2 was huge fun playing it all those years ago, hopefully the new title can emulate that. That said, I'm a little underwhelmed that it won't be a Codies production, and instead a Motorsport Games one. With that said, with their UK studies, it would seem there is some very capable people there to make such a game, so I'm going to hope for the best and certainly give them a chance.

After all, when they are getting drivers like Dan Cammish to possibly assist them, it's a good sign of their intent. Like many have said though, hopefully they get that balance between simulation and arcade, to make a game that's easy to pick up, but replicates the BTCC well, and is most importantly; fun.

Codmasters?

Don't they make fishing simulators? :sly:
Lol, my dyslexic brain didn’t see that,
Joking aside, the CM ego engine is pretty good, I know it’s probably not the most advanced but the recent F1 games have been good.

I hope with the 2022 release date, we get a few seasons of cars and the hybrid powertrains come into force in the release year.

Though a team career where you hire drivers, move up through the ranks and choose an NGTC car would be pretty cool.

It will only be good for me if they have 80s and early to mid 90s cars...touring cars became the boring cars since about 98-2000 onwards...

I really hope they don't make the engine sounds realistic on this game.

I do wonder if anyone hear ACTUALLY follows BTCC. I see a lot of odd comments that suggest not.

I'm sorry but touring cars is in as much of a competitive golden age as it ever has been, to think modern BTCC is inferior to its past self is just a case of naivety and rose-tinted glasses I'm afraid. As for sound, I may be one of the few who feel the current NGTC cars sound fantastic, with a nice rally car-esque rasp to them, plus there's certainly variation in the sound, only have to listen to the Honda's with their Neil Brown made engines (which sound the best I feel). It's nice how those 2.0L Turbo 4's crackle and pop on the overrun, spitting flame in the process, in classic touring car style, even better in person.

Having had the pleasure of seeing the BTCC in person at Donington, the sound isn't an issue, with how atmospheric the whole experience is, which I feel is just as important that's replicated in the game, as that what makes it so fun to watch. And the sound element is a key part of that, and considering the individuals working on this, who have worked on the likes of Dirt Rally, hopefully the sound production is in good hands 👍.

Last edited:
I do wonder if anyone hear ACTUALLY follows BTCC. I see a lot of odd comments that suggest not.
The racing is great and most of the cars look good but the cars still sound like 🤬. They sound like 🤬 on the TV, they sound like 🤬 when you're standing next to the track.

The S2000 cars sounded much better.

The racing is great and most of the cars look good but the cars still sound like 🤬. They sound like 🤬 on the TV, they sound like 🤬 when you're standing next to the track.

What are you expecting a 4 cylinder turbo engine to sound like? A GT500 Super GT car?

There's nothing wrong with how the current NGTC cars sound.

You've clearly never been then. They sound fantastic trackside. And if you gave been, helps if you take the earplugs out.

What are you expecting a 4 cylinder turbo engine to sound like?
TCR cars are 4 cylinder turbo's but don't sound constantly broken.

You've clearly never been then. They sound fantastic trackside. And if you gave been, helps if you take the earplugs out.
Usually 1 event each year, last year was Donington the year before at Brands Hatch Indy, the mixed tyre changeable conditions race won by Proctor was a classic. Don't get me wrong BTCC is a great championship but the sound is not. Earplugs are not a bad idea for the race start, maybe they'll come with the collectors edition.

TCR cars are 4 cylinder turbo's but don't sound constantly broken.

This statement I find peculiar, considering how similar NGTC spec BTCC cars sound to current TCR cars, which have (up to) 2.0L Turbo 4's as well. If anything, I'd say the current NGTC cars sound slightly better, what with all the popping banging you get with the current NGTC cars. Perhaps we're hearing sounds very differently, certainly seems that way. Different strokes for different folks and all that...

This statement I find peculiar, considering how similar NGTC spec BTCC cars sound to current TCR cars, which have (up to) 2.0L Turbo 4's as well. If anything, I'd say the current NGTC cars sound slightly better, what with all the popping banging you get with the current NGTC cars. Perhaps we're hearing sounds very differently, certainly seems that way. Different strokes for different folks and all that...

Peculiar indeed :boggled:. If anything like you I think the TCR cars sound a touch too tame, but they are almost identical really.

The TCR cars are a slightly lower pitch which sounds better in my opinion, the NGTC cars have a bit of a droning whine too them and the popping and banging you like sounds like a swarm of metallic insects going through a blender to me (especially on the starting grid).

I guess if people like different music they like different engine sounds too.

The TCR cars are a slightly lower pitch which sounds better in my opinion, the NGTC cars have a bit of a droning whine too them and the popping and banging you like sounds like a swarm of metallic insects going through a blender to me (especially on the starting grid).

I guess if people like different music they like different engine sounds too.

That's fair enough tastes can't be all the same so I respect that, would be fairly mundane if we were all the same there 👍. I find the TCR cars have a bit less character compared to the NGTC cars which are more interesting and imposing, especially in person. But then again, I never found the new era F1 V6 Turbo Hybrids to sound that bad when they came in, and now sound really quite nice, especially with the new mic placements when watching on-board.

Anyway back to the subject at hand, now we have the announcement of a new game coming in 2022, I'm eager to hear news as this game develops over the coming months and year :dopey:.

Last edited:
I don't mind the sound of the NGTC engines, but I remember being at Brands in 2010 when Thommo ran some demo laps in an NGTC Toyota, and I do remember then thinking it didn't sound as good as the S2000/BTC cars cars.

The best sounding touring cars... Aus V8 supercars :) Can we have some of these in the game... No ? Oh Ok then.

I'm sorry but touring cars is in as much of a competitive golden age as it ever has been, to think modern BTCC is inferior to its past self is just a case of naivety and rose-tinted glasses I'm afraid.
That’s debatable. The racing might be as good as its ever been, but the cars themselves are a shadow of what they once were. The Group 2 and Group A cars of the 60s-90s were literally modified road cars just like what you could buy in the showroom, and the ST cars of the 90s and early 00s at least pretended to be with the homologation requirements. These days they’re all cookiecutter chassis and drivelines with no relation to the road cars outside of a few of the body panels. It’s functionally a spec series. Seeing a 330i win in BTCC doesn’t encourage me to go out and buy a 330i because I know the 330i in the local BMW dealership has zero relation to the one Turkington drove to the winner’s circle.

It will only be good for me if they have 80s and early to mid 90s cars...touring cars became the boring cars since about 98-2000 onwards...
Super Touring cars of the late 90s were nearly as good as the Group A and Group 2 eras.

Back