British Touring Car Championship Game and Esport Series Confirmed, Scheduled for 2022

Back when my employer was a technical partner of TOCA there were a couple of seasons where I got to every round. Unfortunately for my bank balance I fell head over heels in love with Knockhill as a spectator venue, so normally now I get to all the rounds at MSV circuits (their 4 wheel season pass is incrediible value if you have the free weekend time to really use it), plus Knockhill and sometimes Silverstone.

If you have never been to Knockhill I strongly recommend it - I make a long weekend out of it, a mate of mine and his wife have it as either the start or end of a week's holiday, but however you do it it's well worth the trek north of the border. I only bother with Silverstone for BTCC if there's nothing else going on at an MSV track, and even then only because I only live about 40 minutes drive away...

It's a good venue if an event can really fill it (I love the Silverstone Classic) but for anything smaller it just feels soulless. Not as bad as Rockingham used to be though, IMO.

I'd second @gregc opinion here. It's 370 miles for me, but I'd rather go to Knockhill than Silverstone (19 miles). Only been twice (in fact I've been to all the venues at least twice), but had planned to go again this year.

but for anything smaller it just feels soulless. Not as bad as Rockingham used to be though, IMO.

Rockingham was probably worse, but saved by the compactness of the event and the view from the main grandstand. I've been to about 25 events at Silverstone, from the BGP and BSBK, to the Britcar 24, BTCC, WEC, LMES, a couple of classics and even Super League Formula, but it is, in my humble opinion, a worthless trudge, mentally, emotionally and physically.

I've only been to BTCC once. It was at Brands Hatch, and it was the day that Infiniti made its debut. We (me and @GTP_Ingram) started the previous day at Knockhill in an Infiniti Q50, and drove to Croft, Oulton Park, Donington Park, Silverstone, Rockingham, Snetterton, and Thruxton, then finished at Brands Hatch. And watched the races the next day from a private box overlooking the finish line :D

The next day we went to Mallory Park as well, because that's where the team was based. It was fun:

upload_2020-7-16_21-34-12.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-35-37.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-36-15.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-36-48.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-37-51.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-39-22.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-39-44.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-40-22.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-41-32.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-43-30.png

upload_2020-7-16_21-44-6.png

I've only been to BTCC once. It was at Brands Hatch, and it was the day that Infiniti made its debut. We (me and @GTP_Ingram) started the previous day at Knockhill in an Infiniti Q50, and drove to Croft, Oulton Park, Donington Park, Silverstone, Rockingham, Snetterton, and Thruxton, then finished at Brands Hatch. And watched the races the next day from a private box overlooking the finish line :D

The next day we went to Mallory Park as well, because that's where the team was based. It was fun:

View attachment 941330

View attachment 941333

View attachment 941334

View attachment 941335

View attachment 941336

View attachment 941337

View attachment 941338

View attachment 941339

View attachment 941340

View attachment 941341

View attachment 941342

That's one way to experience the BTCC :eek: .

I was at that race too. In fact I went to every race that year.

View attachment 941330

View attachment 941333

View attachment 941334

View attachment 941335

View attachment 941336

View attachment 941337

View attachment 941338

View attachment 941339

View attachment 941340

View attachment 941341

View attachment 941342

That's one hell of a road trip 👍

And I was at that meeting too - the Infiniti has come on quite a way since then...

View attachment 941330

View attachment 941333

View attachment 941334

View attachment 941335

View attachment 941336

View attachment 941337

View attachment 941338

View attachment 941339

View attachment 941340

View attachment 941341

View attachment 941342
You probably visited more tracks than the actual Infiniti team managed in the whole year. :sly:

I’m lucky I’m in the middle of a triangle made up of Silverstone, Truxton and Castle Combe.
You must be near Swindon then I guess, that's a good trio of circuits to live near. I've been down there a few times, I used to work for an event management comapny that had an office there, and had to navigate the magic roundabout a few times.

I've never been to any of those 3 circuits, but I do get to go to Oulton Park on occasion, last time I went was with a group for the Moto GP but I'd like to go any see the BTCC there again. It's been a couple of years since my last BTCC race. I think they are there in August.

You must be near Swindon then I guess, that's a good trio of circuits to live near. I get to go to Oulton Park on occasion, last time I went was with a group for the Moto GP but I'd like to go any see the BTCC there again. It's been a couple of years since my last BTCC race. I think they are there in August.
Spot-on, I do indeed live in Swindon. It's a great location in that regard.

Interesting, I was having Codemasters down as a strong choice to develop a new BTCC game, and ultimately I think they would have been an ideal fit for a game like this, to get that balance right. That said, it'll be interesting to see who really is making this game, as there are a lot of good racing game orientated studios (and some really not good at all) to make this. I just don't want it to be SMS.

Not made by Codies then. That's a good sign

Really? Have you seen Motorsport Games repertoire? An array of extremely poor NASCAR titles. They've done absolutely zero to make me think this game is in good hands. Codemasters might be marmite to some but they make a good racing game and that cannot be argued.

Their global HQ is in the states, and the UK base is tucked away somewhere in Autosports offices.

Unless they've got some serious talent hidden away somewhere in a UK studio that can actually do this license justice then this to me is not good news.

2pm announcement today (so I'm told). Can you tell I'm excited?!?!

Really? Have you seen Motorsport Games repertoire? An array of extremely poor NASCAR titles. They've done absolutely zero to make me think this game is in good hands. Codemasters might be marmite to some but they make a good racing game and that cannot be argued.

Their global HQ is in the states, and the UK base is tucked away somewhere in Autosports offices.

Unless they've got some serious talent hidden away somewhere in a UK studio that can actually do this license justice then this to me is not good news.

That's all valid but let's face it, creating a Nascar game isn't exactly taxing ...

Let's just wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all valid but let's face it, creating a Nascar game isn't exactly taxing ...

Let's just wait and see.

Part of my point perhaps :mischievous:.

The only saving grace is Steve Hood is at the head of the company. Ex Codemasters, mainly associated as creative director on the F1 series. Hopefully he still has some of his Codemasters buddy's on speed dial and it'll be built by what will basically be a early 2010s Codemasters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited as a massive BTCC fan, but I have some skepticism.

So that pretty much cements it as a next-gen game, which should be pretty interesting. There's an awful lot of processing power at their disposal!

I hope to all the deities they do not mess this up. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of disappointed and angry fans.

I wouldn't mind if it's made to the same philosophy to their other game (NASCAR Heat), not an hardcore sim but a fun pick up and play game. Just need graphics which are up to scratch.

Do we know which developer is making this game, as far as I can see motorsports games owns 704 games, who make NASCAR heat. That doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Do we know which developer is making this game, as far as I can see motorsports games owns 704 games, who make NASCAR heat. That doesn’t fill me with confidence.

From what I'm seeing and understanding its gonna be head up by a UK based studio not 704 games thankfully.

I think the studio will just be called Motorsport Games, creative director Paul Coleman, previously of Dirt Rally, Race driver and some F1. So it would appear to be their first effort as their own studio. I think its in good hands.

It definitely has to be developed by a UK studio.

Most American studios will struggle with the concept that a racing car and track might include right turns...

Just kidding. Would be good to have a smaller UK studio focusing on it and delivering what the fans want.

Its also good that Dan Cammish has been very vocal for a while about a BTCC game and seems to have had a part in helping get itnoff the ground, hopefully he will provide some invaluable input and feedback into getting the feel right.

If this turns out as a modern day TOCA 2 with all the bells and whistles this could be great, but the developers repertoire isn't exactly great as already noted.

I'd fully expect the physics to be semi-sim just like the old games and that's fine, but they've got to get it right.

704 didn't make Heat, they published it. Monster Games made it.

Back