Budget Car Challenge

• Thread starter Airrider
  • 1,553 comments
Yea but it's encourage people to keep searching for better cars...
Actually, it does the opposite of that. If you give people a way to steal the fastest car, why would they have to search for anything? Unless you only want to force the people winning to do the searching, so that the slower cars can just reap the benefits of their work.
But...
Shouldn't losing be enough encouragement on it's own?

You posted this on page 1

This on page 3.

Pick one, and add it to the OP for everyone to easily find.
My personal opinion, is to avoid complications you don't need, or you risk scaring people away. The less work, tests and variations people have to do, the more they're willing to just build something and race it. Start putting too much time and effort into weekly tunes, bi monthly part changes, and the average players like myself, will be less likely to compete, as it may feel more work than fun. I don't mind getting beat by a better car/driver, but the idea of getting beat, simply because someone spent 10 times the effort re-arranging their car parts every week is just annoying. Keep it light hearted, keep the casual players involved. :)

Yeah, I'm trying, but everyone wants me to clarify things here and there too. I kind of can't have it both ways.

Look, long and short of the rules is that minus maintenance, your car and parts for one month-long season of racing cannot add up to more than 50,000 CR. They have to be stock street cars, not race cars, prize cars or pretuned cars. After every season you can alter what parts are where, but only if it all adds up to the budget limit.

Please, everyone enjoy yourselves! So far all you'll have for winning is bragging rights, so it's not like there's a lot at stake. Build up your car and see how far you can push it to get better lap times.

I know this may sound a bit odd, but here goes anyway...
Would it be a good idea to split cars into simple classes?
e.g. Front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, etc.

The way I see it is that most will go for a RWD or 4WD car in that it'll be quicker (generally) but say, have a FWD class or something else similar to make there some incentive to make a left-field choice?

I'm up for having a go at this! I've bought a car and I will email Airrider now with my setup. I assume we have to email our times to the same address between the times posted in the original post?

I think Dance Commanders idea of splitting it into drivetrain classes could work though.

The way I see it is that most will go for a RWD or 4WD car in that it'll be quicker (generally) but say, have a FWD class or something else similar to make there some incentive to make a left-field choice?

or why not have power groups ? like upto 200bhp , 200- 300 etc

or why not have power groups ? like upto 200bhp , 200- 300 etc

Because you'll get a bunch of MX-5's dominating the 200-300bhp class. Drivetrain classes work, but I think the best way would be one that's based on power to weight ratios. A class for 2kg/bhp and above, a class for 2kg/bhp to 3kg/bhp, etc etc.

Having followed this from the beginning, I'm finding that its far too easy to complicate a simple concept.

lol, agreed.

I believe we should just keep it simple for now. Since all the times and specs can be gathered after each race. If need be, it can be later on be catergorized.

I'm building a car that I'll enjoy driving, but I don't think it's winning in terms of the Trial Mountain Timing suggested so far. I think it maybe better to not share lap times, keep it a little more mysterious, until the end of the race. However, this is an open forum, so feel free to share your thoughts.

I was about to post about the same thing.
Insted of a different class for FWDs I'd give the FFs a 25.000 Cr - 50.000 Cr boost.
This would give them atleast a chance to be competitive.

MadMax

You guys are all making me second guess the FF car I spent all my time on :(

of course, in the end, there will be a 'certain' formula to win this budget challenge. But if you see it as fun factor, I believe it'll be fun still. I spend my time on an MR all the time but it gives me great joy when I drive it.

haha..

Great racing here, I got involved in a few budget races back on GT3 here. I always liked the challenge. Don't change anythng from your formula for this racing series, just K.I.S.S. ( keep it simple ).

I think I have a contender in my corner, just need to shave a couple of seconds and I should give some competition to the field. I got a little over 9000 in the bank to work with to.

Pre order car and some Soft racing tires... :P

How exactly are you planing on enforcing the 50k rule? PPL will cheat...

Look, nothing's on the line here except bragging rights. Why would someone do that even if I didn't already say you can't? It'd take all the fun out of putting a tuning strategy on display.

I welcome the people who show up in really cheap bangers with Racing Softs to try to squeeze all the grip out of the chassis, or the people who snag a GTR of some kind and hope for the best. I want to see people who think laterally about a challenge with a well-defined monetary limit, but what I really want is for people to have fun with the challenge they're given. How do you get that enjoyment if you cheat?

Okay, here's my entry:

Nissan Silvia spec-R Aero (S15) '99

So far, running 1:38s ...

Last edited:
I´m stuck nearby 1:35... probably still far from the fastest time that wins. Curious about the winning car/tuning combination...

I already send in my car. It´s an enjoyable ride. :scared:

*Im kinda interested but I dont have my ps3 connected. will this be a online race or will it only be compared to a track each individually? Ive got an RX7 with S1 tyres, costed 49621cr.

323bhp
1156kg

I did buy fixed sport kitd but realized that i could afford height adjustable sport kit so if i removed the prize of the fsk and bought h-a sport kit i would still be under 50k.
Same as with sport soft, I did buy it but if I'll use it I will extend the 50k bugdet, so I will race with Sport hard tyres. If I cannot join due to no online connection I will follow this and just do some test run to compare times (tho it wont be the same becouse I guess that you'll race eachother at once). *Subscribed*

Edit: 1:30.001 @ Deep Forest Raceway

-----------------

Lancer Evolution VI GSR T.M '00
Price (car included money spent): 48399cr
381 bhp
1251 kg
Tyres: Sport hard (S1)

1:28.269 @ Deep Forest Raceway

-----------------

Lancer Evolution VI RS T.M '00
Price: 49783
370 bhp
1098 kg

1:26:819 @ Deep Forest Raceway

-----------------
please just ignore my times as I dont think I can race, If I suddenly would have internet connected to my ps3 within a couple of days I would use one of these cars and I would get an USBmemory and set a new time wich I could send in. These times is just me testing and beeing able to ''save'' information about a few 50k bugdet cars. thanks. Let me know if you want me to delete the times.

:)

Last edited:
Well I think I've hit my limit in terms of skill with this car. If I push any harder I either end up drifting and losing time, going off course or spinning out. I'll try and improve on my time before I send it in though. 👍

you still have a week of time left to submit times.. Im still tuning my car probably wont get a chance to lay down some times for a few days. I still have to register my car and parts.

*Im kinda interested but I dont have my ps3 connected. will this be a online race or will it only be compared to a track each individually? Ive got an RX7 with S1 tyres, costed 49621cr.

323bhp
1156kg

I did buy fixed sport kitd but realized that i could afford height adjustable sport kit so if i removed the prize of the fsk and bought h-a sport kit i would still be under 50k.
Same as with sport soft, I did buy it but if I'll use it I will extend the 50k bugdet, so I will race with Sport hard tyres. If I cannot join due to no online connection I will follow this and just do some test run to compare times (tho it wont be the same becouse I guess that you'll race eachother at once). *Subscribed*

Edit: 1:30.001 @ Deep Forest Raceway

-----------------

Lancer Evolution VI GSR T.M '00
Price (car included money spent): 48399cr
381 bhp
1251 kg

1:28.269 @ Deep Forest Raceway

:)

I was going to congratulate you on those lap times... until I realized you're on the wrong track.

But for clarification, this will be an offline event, where people are sending in a picture of their best Lap Time, in practice mode at Trial Mountain.
Should also mention, you don't want to be giving out all your car specs, or it'll be quite simple to copy your build and you lose any advantage you may of had.

I was going to congratulate you on those lap times... until I realized you're on the wrong track.

But for clarification, this will be an offline event, where people are sending in a picture of their best Lap Time, in practice mode at Trial Mountain.
Should also mention, you don't want to be giving out all your car specs, or it'll be quite simple to copy your build and you lose any advantage you may of had.

cool this means I can participate or whatever the word is.. I've bought a few cars and customized them to 50k bugdet cars, and I wont use any of these cars I guess lol. Do I save the ghost then somehow make it to a replay? what time is the deadline? (I know I just should read trough the 4-5 pages and I'll have the answer). thanks anyway.. Good laping

Edit: Lol at the wrong track :)

To make things official, should we post our car, parts installed with a total price breakdown for the build?

I am going to go shopping for the perfect car right now :) will post my trials and tribulations hopefully this helps me learn the ins and outs of every car.

You send them to his Email as the OP says.
Take a picture of the Lap time, and include it with your car, upgrade list, and prices of each.
He's accepting entries from 01/16/11 - 01/23/11.
No race cars, touring cars ect. Any combination you'd like, as long as it's limited to 50k.
Price cars are allowed, but you must still deduct their cost using the link supplied in the OP.
Each season will be running 4 weeks, at 4 different tracks.
Your car and parts are locked in for these 4 weeks.
After the 4 weeks is up, you have the choice to build and enter a new car, if you find the need to do so.
The first weeks race will be held at Trial Mountain. Where you use the offline practice mode to run your fastest lap time.
All entries will be compiled at the end of the deadline and I believe a point system is being used, but I'm not positive.
At the end of the 4 week season, the person with the most points wins!
Bragging rights, everyone is on their honor.
Good Luck.

Jmac279, I think you and I have stumbled upon the same car then. I picked a car just to humor myself and on my first lap ran a 1:32. I still see room for improvement.

Back