Bugatti Teases a New Mystery Car, Unveiling is Imminent

Was going to say what @ProjectWHaT said. Bólide is also used in portuguese when referring to a fast and/or expensive car.

I remember it reading a lot in the German car magazines from Motor Presse, although I would swear those magazines were in German and not in Portuguese :)

The Bolide looks as amazing as the stats Bugatti have given for it. Would love to see them back those predicted laptimes up. The design looks like the offspring of the Bugatti VGT and Divo.

I too would have loved to have seen Bugatti return to racing, especially with the new Hypercar category for WEC, but maybe one day in the future they will return to racing.

Have I understood it right that it's just a concept but if enough (presumably exceedingly rich) people come forward, they would put it into production.

I remember it reading a lot in the German car magazines from Motor Presse, although I would swear those magazines were in German and not in Portuguese :)

Maybe it means the same in German too. Despite living in Germany, I'm Portuguese so I know for sure it's used in portuguese. My german is not very good yet.

At 1240kg it's probably the lightest car bugatti has made in the last 15 years. The lightest in Bugatti history maybe?

I have... concerns about the name.

"Bolide" is Italian (well, Latin, and before that Greek) for "missile", deriving from the word "bolus" which means a rounded mass*; effectively a stone thrown from a sling, or a rock hurled from a catapult - it's also where we get the word "ball". Winkelmann's "like riding a cannonball" is incredibly apt.

However the most common use of "bolide" is to describe a specific type of meteor which enters the Earth's atmosphere, burns brightly, and then explodes before it reaches the ground. The Chelyabinsk meteor was a bolide, for example.

That's probably not the image Bugatti was looking for.

*It's also used in medical terminology to describe a clump of material within a digestive tract; poo in your colon is a "bolus". Which is nice.
Actually, I would say the most common use of bolide is used by commentators during Italian football games. Obviously not when theres no goals or just tap ins. Boxing too.

Last edited:
This is what comes to mind when I hear the name "Bolide"

320px-Bolide350.jpeg

Less than half, 508kg according to the Google.
Yeah, it was a somewhat educated wag. I was just trying to think of what could be a very light car from Bugatti, and the Type 52 first sprung to mind because of it having been intended for children, but the electric powertrain was likely quite heavy; the Type 13 was a bare bones racer.

Looks like the child of the first Bugatti VGT, and the shelved second concept: https://www.gtplanet.net/bugatti-designer-reveals-shelved-second-vision-gt-concept/

Those simulated laptimes look way too optimistic though. Only a few seconds slower than the 919 Evo while being 390kg heavier, and without the benefit of electric boost. Sure 1800 HP is a lot, but too much power on the Nordschleife will just make it undrivable. Also, if it really does produce the downforce numbers it claims, then the drag will be way too much to reach the theoretical "well above" 310 mph top speed. Unless they have a streamlined version planned, but then it doesn't count as the same car is it?

Guess I'll have to wait for a mod of this in Assetto Corsa so I can try it myself :lol:

Last edited:
Wow, looking forward to buying this monsta! Who else is getting one? We can go to Nurburgring and have a bit of a mates race once covid is out of the way. Yeehaw!!

I'm more than willing to get this Car in a Racing Game, if it will be added to a Racing Game in the near future.

On a side note, I'd love to see this in a Drag Race versus a McLaren Senna, Bugatti Veyron Super Sport & Bugatti Chiron.

Last edited:
That's kind of what everyone was hoping Le Mans would have looked like back a few years ago. Now it's looking like that won't be the case, unfortunately.
Yeah I was really excited for the Hypercars because I thought it would have lots of manufacturers building all kinds of wild and interesting cars and then racing them on the best tracks in the world for 24h. Now it just looks like a worse LMP1

Interesting aerodynamic analysis by an ex-engineer for Mercedes-AMG F1 team

In the first 10 minutes, he believes the aerodynamic stats that Bugatti claim are cherry-picked and aren't necessarily realistic. Afterwards, he goes in depth into the aero flow of the car

In the first 10 minutes, he believes the aerodynamic stats that Bugatti claim are cherry-picked and aren't necessarily realistic. Afterwards, he goes in depth into the aero flow of the car

This dude needs to go easy on the Red Bull. His eyes look like he's still on a Formula Student team lmao.

Anyways I agree with pretty much everything he's saying. Overall this car looks draggy as hell, particularly the tunnels, and the rear diffuser looks like a joke. I don't doubt that they cut a ton of weight - the close up reviews look like the body panels are literally just sheet carbon - but aerodynamically I'm less impressed.

The guy keeps saying at the beginning of the video how the numbers are likely cherry picked to reflect the best case scenario, and all I can think is, if true, yeah, so? Pretty much every car maker out there cherry picks their numbers to reflect the best case scenario. The actual aero discussion in the rest of the video is reasonable analysis.

Bugatti teases the production version of the Bolide that was announced back in 2021

The company also said it would need three years for development, with customer deliveries beginning in 2024. If this teaser is any indication, Bugatti seems well on its way to meeting that deadline.

342519111_185888494266246_5441462324264930544_n.jpg

342184944_756599229491707_2645609661734831298_n.jpg

EDIT: oh, the production announcement was never posted back in 2021

The production-ready Bolide will still offer a monstrous 1,577 horsepower and 1,600 Newton-meters (1,180 pound-feet) of torque to match the Chiron Super Sport and Chiron Centodieci, but in a far lighter hypercar. It has a weight-to-power ratio of 0.9 kilograms per one horsepower, which should translate into neck-snapping performance on a circuit.

Bugatti says it will need three years to complete the Bolide's development as customer deliveries are not scheduled to commence before 2024. Production will be capped at 40 units at €4 million a pop before taxes

bugatti-bolide-version-de-production.jpg

Last edited:
Bugatti teases the production version of the Bolide that was announced back in 2021

342519111_185888494266246_5441462324264930544_n.jpg

342184944_756599229491707_2645609661734831298_n.jpg

EDIT: oh, the production announcement was never posted back in 2021

Now THIS is how I imagined the 2020s would be back when I was a kid.

Finally.

I pray for all of these cars comes to GT. My dream leagues could become real. Valkyrie AMR Pro, Boldide, RB17, P900... what a machines!

Update:

Attachments

• Bugatti-Bolide-produciton-version-2.jpg
    Bugatti-Bolide-produciton-version-2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Bugatti-Bolide-produciton-version-3.jpg
    Bugatti-Bolide-produciton-version-3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 6
  • bugatti-bolide-final-production-form.jpg
    bugatti-bolide-final-production-form.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Bugatti Bolide on track April 23-6.jpg