Bugatti Veyron Successor: Chiron

Chiron Pur Sport testing on the Nurburgring

Bugatti-Chiron-Pur-Sport-final-testing-at-the-Nurburgring-Nordschleife-2.jpg

Bugatti-Chiron-Pur-Sport-final-testing-at-the-Nurburgring-Nordschleife-5.jpg

Bugatti-Chiron-Pur-Sport-final-testing-at-the-Nurburgring-Nordschleife-3.jpg

Bugatti-Chiron-Pur-Sport-final-testing-at-the-Nurburgring-Nordschleife-7.jpg

Bugatti-Chiron-Pur-Sport-final-testing-at-the-Nurburgring-Nordschleife-10.jpg

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/b...-from-nurburgring-testing-will-make-your-day/

I think it's time for a new design. It's starting to evolve into essentially just different shapes of a gaming mouse.
Likely won't happen for a good while. There's probably another 3-5 years of the Chiron if it follows the Veyron's line.

And to its credit, at least the models are actually different. I don't think Veyron really ever evolved beyond trims & bespoke finishes. The Chiron seems to at least be adopting that & beyond lending its body to new "models".

I wonder how much the anti-glare duct tape option will cost.

Only the price of a small hatchback. But it will need replacing every three years or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. 👍

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/15/bugatti-chiron-design-talk

Design sketches of the Pur Sport and the Super Sports 300+

PurSport__vs__SuperSport_Front.jpg

PurSport__vs__SuperSport_Rear.jpg

PurSport__vs__SuperSport_Side.jpg

Frank Heyl, Bugatti deputy design director, and Jachin Schwalbe, Bugatti head of chassis development explains the design of both cars

The Super Sports 300+ has a long tail design which reduces the low pressure zone behind the car, reducing drag. The rear wing no longer deploys so the air flow underneath the car and diffuser is changed. These changes do not add drag

On the other hand, the Pur Sport is supposed to be a track car instead of a top speed car. The Pur Sport has a bigger diffuser and wing to aid high speed stability

I’m really glad that Bugatti is actually putting a little bit of development into the car with each special model, rather than coming up with some new paint colors, interiors, and wheels, then slapping a “special edition” name on it like they did with the Veyron.

Between the Divo and Pur Sport, I wonder which will be faster around a track? I'm not including the Centodieci or Voiture Noire special editions because those are less track focused.

Between the Divo and Pur Sport, I wonder which will be faster around a track? I'm not including the Centodieci or Voiture Noire special editions because those are less track focused.

I'd probably hedge bets on the Pur Sport since it's around 15kg lighter than a Divo, has a revised transmission with shorter ratios, and stickier tires

I'd probably hedge bets on the Pur Sport since it's around 15kg lighter than a Divo, has a revised transmission with shorter ratios, and stickier tires

That would be a gut punch to Divo owners if true. They basically got scammed buying a much more expensive model which ends up slower than a less exclusive model :lol: Though they could probably fit all the Pur Sport upgrades to existing Divos if the owners cough up enough money.

Bugatti has officially sold all of its Chirons, Divos, Centodiecis, the La Voiture Noire, & Bolides as of late last year. Looks like the next new Bugatti will be something all-new.
Bugatti confirmed the news in its 2021 recap, saying it was able to fulfill the 40 remaining built slots still open as of late October. So if you want a Chiron and have yet to put a deposit down with Bugatti, you'll have to buy used. Deliveries will continue into 2022 as the last remaining cars are hand-built at the company's Molsheim factory.

All 40 examples of the Bolide, Bugatti's wild 1500-hp track weapon revealed at Pebble Beach this past summer, also sold out in 2021, at a price tag of $4.7 million each.

There were other milestones for Bugatti in 2021 as well. Deliveries of the record-breaking Chiron Super Sport 300+ began in 2021, while the remaining Divos were handed to customers. The one-off $18.9-million La Voiture Noire was also finalized and now sits in its unnamed buyer's hands. The company opened no less than four additional showrooms across the globe and held over 100 events for customers and fans.

Last edited:
Didn't they just issue a recall on the Chirons?
As far as I've found, there was a recall in 2020, and just recently, a recall on only the Pur Sport for cracking tires.

Looking into the recall, I think most Pur Sport owners are probably far, far off it, lol.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's summary, the rear rubber on the Pur Sport may begin to crack after 2500 miles of use.

Last edited:
Bugatti Mistral Roadster

1660936531014.png

1660936541402.png

1660936552907.png

1660936559244.png

bugatti-mistral-live-image.jpg

The W16 era is ending as Bugatti is bidding adieu to the quad-turbo, 8.0-liter engine with the Mistral. The Chiron-based roadster is named after a wind blowing from the Rhône River valley that also served as inspiration in the 1960s for a namesake coupe/convertible sold by Maserati (and a 1990s Nissan Mistral in Japan). Speaking of past cars, the roofless machine from Molsheim boasts design cues derived from the Type 57 Roadster Grand Raid.

The 1930s influence can be seen in the curving windscreen as well as the roof-mounted dual air scoops to cool the engine. While the styling harkens back to a classic model, the Mistral does seem like a combination between the Divo and La Voiture Noire in a roadster package with an "X" motif for the taillights reminding us of the track-only Bolide. The rear light configuration has allowed Bugatti to install vents in between the X beams for cooling purposes.

At the heart of the Mistral is the same 1,577-horsepower engine found in the Chiron Super Sport 300+, which hit 304.773 mph (490.484 km/h) in 2019. Speaking of going ludicrously fast, Bugatti says that for the Mistral, "there can only be one goal in mind: to become the fastest roadster in the world once more." It would be a follow-up to the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse and its 254.04 mph (408.84 km/h) performance in 2013.

Bugatti will make only 99 units of the Mistral and plans to kick off deliveries in 2024 when the first of the 40 Bolide track cars are also destined to reach their rightful owners. While the Bolide was available for €4 million apiece, the Mistral had a sticker price of €5 million. "Had" because all of them have already been spoken for.

Chiron Profilée

bugatti-chiron-profilee-2022.jpg

Like the Veyron before it, the Chiron has spawned multiple special editions throughout its life cycle. The Profilée was supposed to be one of them as Bugatti had intended a small production but with all 500 build slots spoken for, it'll ultimately remain a one-off. Although the peeps from Molsheim knew they wouldn't be able to make more, development continued, and the car was finalized. In the end, it earned a single type of approval for Europe.

Work on the Chiron Profilée started in the fall of 2020 after Bugatti received requests from customers wanting a less radical interpretation of the Pur Sport. It does away with the massive rear wing for a far more subtle aero piece that keeps the hypercar glued to the road at its top speed of 236 mph (380 km/h). At the front, it gets bigger air intakes than the "entry-level" Chiron and an enlarged horseshoe grille to feed more air into the radiators. Airflow is further optimized by a redesigned splitter that also boosts downforce at the front axle.

Bugatti painted the one-of-a-kind hypercar in an exclusive Argent Atlantique color combined with exposed carbon fiber with a Bleu Royal Carbon tint for the lower body. The Profilée's wheels are also not shared with any other Chiron and come painted in Le Patron to blend with the lower body. Polished aluminum accents round off the changes on the outside.

Mechanically, the suspension springs are 10 percent stiffer than those of the Pur Sport and the rear axle has 50 percent more negative chamber for better traction during cornering. Bugatti says these changes have been made without negatively impacting the high level of comfort the Chiron is known to offer. In this application, the quad-turbo W16 8.0-liter engine puts out a massive 1,479 horsepower, which is less than the 1,578 hp of other derivatives like the Centodieci and Super Sport 300+.

With a 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 2.3 seconds and a 0 to 124 mph (200 km/h) in 5.5 seconds, the Bugatti Chiron Profilée is one of the quickest-accelerating production cars ever. The top speed we mentioned earlier is 19 mph (30 km/h) higher than the Pur Sport's, which maxes out at "only" 217 mph (350 km/h). Being based on the Pur Sport, the transmission ratios have been shortened by 15 percent compared to the Chiron Sport.

The posh cabin is the first in a Chiron to have a woven leather finish after using more than 2,500 meters of leather strips. The seats come wrapped in Gris Rafale and Deep Blue leather with an "air parade" quilting pattern. Bugatti updated the center console to include a black anodized frame inlay to showcase the Profilée script.

RM Sotheby's will auction the car on February 1, 2023, and Bugatti says a part of the proceeds will be directed toward a charitable cause. The Profilée is effectively the last chance to buy a new car with a W16 engine since the Mistral roadster and track-only Bolide have already been sold out.

Ah yes, it's been given the weirdly unfinished looking Koenigsegg tinywing.

Bugatti's Director of Design retires. The Chiron successor has been in the design process for the last two years. it will be revealed in 2024 and launch in 2026

Bugatti Director of Design, Achim Anscheidt has retired from his role, bringing an end to 19 years of his personal oversight of the stylistic evolution of the Bugatti brand. Anscheidt will remain a senior advisor to Bugatti Rimac CEO, Mate Rimac, as the brand prepares to unveil the new hybridized Chiron successor. Achim’s long-standing deputy, Frank Heyl, becomes the new Bugatti Director of Design.

Achim now passes the torch of Bugatti design to Frank Heyl, having overseen the meticulous development of the Chiron successor and further products. His vision for the future of Bugatti – developed with Mate Rimac – is in place until around 2030. So passionate is Achim, that only with complete confidence in having secured a bright future for the brand, is he able to step back from his role. The successor to the Chiron has been undergoing its design process for over two years already and will be revealed only in 2024 before its launch in 2026.

Has to be a significantly downsized engine from the W16 then, I don't think a 8.0L V16 could viably fit in a car. But it's cool to see Bugatti still going through the effort of making a brand new bonkers combustion engine in this day and age.

Has to be a significantly downsized engine from the W16 then, I don't think a 8.0L V16 could viably fit in a car. But it's cool to see Bugatti still going through the effort of making a brand new bonkers combustion engine in this day and age.
This is a good point. Hard for me to see the car it goes in remaining midship like the Veyron/Chiron. Even V12 midship cars are pushing the limit in terms of packaging and start to really compromise the cabin because to maintain a somewhat reasonable wheelbase, the driver has to be crunched up near the front wheels, often leading to problems like footwell intrusion by the front wheels. The center driving position (Mclaren F1) gets around this, but I doubt Bugatti would go for that. Maybe they are planning to cleverly package the gearbox so that the axle centerline is midway through the sump, something like BMWs Xdrive or the many others that do this now. Knowing Bugatti, it will very likely be AWD, so maybe they've flipped the drivetrain so the gearbox is in front of the engine with a transfer case taking the power back to the rear wheels. Or knowing Rimac, maybe the engine is just a generator? That would be a bit of a shame, but who knows.

Back