Bugatti's EB110-Inspired Centodieci Leaks Ahead of Pebble Beach Debut

I really don't get the Chiron as an improvement on the Veyron aesthetically, much less a considerable one.

VAG managed to pull off something spectacularly understated for what the Veyron was (admittedly it became less understated as it was gradually updated). But then I'd argue that it wasn't actually understated for what it was, when what it was is merely a GT...just one capable of absurd acceleration and top end velocity.

The Chiron, on the other hand, is a substantially juvenile in its styling; scoops, scoops, vents and...oh yeah...more scoops. It's Ferrari's 458 to their 456, and I don't see that as an improvement.
Where exactly are all of these scoops your talking about? Comparing the Chiron to the Veyron, they all the vents are essentially in the same place, with the only added ones being at the rear. Proportionately, the Chiron is lower, wider, and more aggressive in styling than the veyron, with a meaner, more modern looking face. The side vents look amazing imo, because they flow with the body and exemplify the cars already aggressive stance. I personally dislike lots of car styling from the mid 2000’s because they lots of them strike a weird middle ground of not being as beautiful as cars before them, but lacking the aggression of cars today. I just don’t think they’v Aged that well. The Veyron is like that. It it looks kinda bubbly and awkward. The Chiron fixed that, and was a great evolution and modernization of the Veyron’s styling. Every Bugatti AFTER the Chiron, However, has been a step down from it. The Divo has weird headlights, and takes away a bulk of the side vent of the Chiron, which makes it faster, but brings back the awkward bubbly-egg look of the Veyron, or at least the side profile of it. And this thing? As someone said above, it looks like a third party body kit of the Chiron.

Where exactly are all of these scoops your talking about? Comparing the Chiron to the Veyron, they all the vents are essentially in the same place, with the only added ones being at the rear. Proportionately, the Chiron is lower, wider, and more aggressive in styling than the veyron, with a meaner, more modern looking face. The side vents look amazing imo, because they flow with the body and exemplify the cars already aggressive stance. I personally dislike lots of car styling from the mid 2000’s because they lots of them strike a weird middle ground of not being as beautiful as cars before them, but lacking the aggression of cars today. I just don’t think they’v Aged that well. The Veyron is like that. It it looks kinda bubbly and awkward. The Chiron fixed that, and was a great evolution and modernization of the Veyron’s styling. Every Bugatti AFTER the Chiron, However, has been a step down from it. The Divo has weird headlights, and takes away a bulk of the side vent of the Chiron, which makes it faster, but brings back the awkward bubbly-egg look of the Veyron, or at least the side profile of it. And this thing? As someone said above, it looks like a third party body kit of the Chiron.

I'll vote Veyron over Chiron and whatever this things is.

@TexRex

Where exactly are all of these scoops your talking about?
08_CHT6737.jpg

In the front fascia alone there are three per side plus the horseshoe and another inlet beneath the horseshoe. Then there's the massive inlet behind each door, which you have the option to highlight with either brightwork or paint selection, and one can't not see what's going on in the rear.

se-image-31e05c7d6f1a2e1c924b97c43324f366.jpg

Compare Veyron at launch with just one per side in the fascia plus the central horseshoe and nothing in the lower section. Side inlet doesn't exceed the beltline and is unadorned. Upper scoops aft of the occupant cabin are admittedly not to my taste, but the rear is orders of magnitude more conservative.

01-1532529623495@2x.jpg
03-1532529624928@2x.jpg

Edit to add image of the Chiron from the rear; not sure how I neglected that when I even found and copied an image link.

Edit:

I'll vote Veyron over Chiron and whatever this things is.

@TexRex
I'd hope this goes without saying, but to each their own. I made a point to express that position as solely my own and said nothing of others' opting to prefer one or the other.

Then when solicited to support that position, I like to think I did so sufficiently and again without speaking for anyone but myself.

Last edited:
08_CHT6737.jpg

In the front fascia alone there are three per side plus the horseshoe and another inlet beneath the horseshoe. Then there's the massive inlet behind each door, which you have the option to highlight with either brightwork or paint selection, and one can't not see what's going on in the rear.

se-image-31e05c7d6f1a2e1c924b97c43324f366.jpg

Compare Veyron at launch with just one per side in the fascia plus the central horseshoe and nothing in the lower section. Side inlet doesn't exceed the beltline and is unadorned. Upper scoops aft of the occupant cabin are admittedly not to my taste, but the rear is orders of magnitude more conservative.

01-1532529623495@2x.jpg
03-1532529624928@2x.jpg

Edit to add image of the Chiron from the rear; not sure how I neglected that when I even found and copied an image link.

Edit:

I'd hope this goes without saying, but to each their own. I made a point to express that position as solely my own and said nothing of others' opting to prefer one or the other.

Then when solicited to support that position, I like to think I did so sufficiently and again without speaking for anyone but myself.
Fair enough, I see where you’re coming from, I just don’t personally like it as much. It isn’t an ugly car, I just don’t think it’s aged to well. But maybe that’s more down to the oversaturation of the car in culture.

I liked the Veyron's look. Maybe I've seen too many shots from mid 2000s Top Gear magazines, but to me the Veyron always looked clean and smooth, perhaps not conventionally beautiful but always impressive... the Chiron on the other hand was just too edgy and angular. The La Voiture Noire was quite nice but this... I love it. It's a great homage and looks refreshing after 15 years of the same shape.

No, I'm not drunk :lol:

Centodieci literally means 110 in Italian. Not much more inventive than La Voiture Noire... Chiron and Veyron are far better because they honour two legendary Bugatti drivers. At least call it something a little bit better but then again, this is supposed to be homage to the EB110. But it's just a rebodied Chiron so what we have is an appearance package essentially. Where's the fun in that?

This is pretty ugly, IMO. I was expecting something vastly different than what looks like holes and ports docked all over a Chiron. The La Voiture Noire is ahead turner, so this not meeting that same standard is puzzling to me.

I wish we could get away from "aggression" and "aggressive" being unquestionably positive attributes. The Veyron was elegant and refined. I'll take elegance over aggression 7 days a week.

I wish we could get away from "aggression" and "aggressive" being unquestionably positive attributes. The Veyron was elegant and refined. I'll take elegance over aggression 7 days a week.

If I name my favorite car bodies, I think none of them could be described as aggressive. They're better described as sexy.

il_fullxfull.628147202_djob.jpg

il_794xN.630737633_kca3.jpg

1968-chevrolet-corvette-stingray.jpg

18n8notewec34jpg.jpg

I never said aggression styling was unquestionably positive, far from it. I just think the Chiron does it well. I just didn’t think the Veyron looked “elegant and refined” as you put it. I just don’t like the styling as much. To me, it looks bulky and weird, with the odd egg-shaped side profile my least favorite part. I think the Chiron fixes most of my gripes with the Veyron, as it looks significantly more low slung and aggressive. I honestly prefer beautiful cars to aggressive ones too, I just thought the Veyron wasn’t beautiful. But I see why you prefer it too the Chiron, and maybe it looks better in person, but I never liked the Veyron that much.

If I name my favorite car bodies, I think none of them could be described as aggressive. They're better described as sexy.

il_fullxfull.628147202_djob.jpg

il_794xN.630737633_kca3.jpg

1968-chevrolet-corvette-stingray.jpg

18n8notewec34jpg.jpg

So when are you getting an FD Danoff? Would look mighty fine next to the NSX...

@WiseGuyTM

The way you phrased your post (and even your response to me) reads that the Chiron looks good because it's aggressive. Or at least, that was my takeaway. To be totally clear, I actually like the Chiron, but not as much as the more pure (to me) Veyron.

Last edited:

By all accounts never. They are apparently so complex to maintain (stock) that it is difficult to find someone who actually knows how to do it. :(

Oh my, yes. I actually think it is quite aggressive--it's the "shark" generation, after all--but also profoundly sexy. A Bridgehampton Blue with black interior '70 454/360 4-speed car is a bit of a dream of mine.

@WiseGuyTM

The way you phrased your post (and even your response to me) reads that the Chiron looks good because it's aggressive. Or at least, that was my takeaway. To be totally clear, I actually like the Chiron, but not as much as the more pure (to me) Veyron.
I was framing the Chiron’s aggressive styling as a positive compared to the Veyron, which I think I made obvious I didn’t like. I said that I think they improved the styling be making more aggressive, in comparison to the Veyron. And the aggression was referring to the proportions, which were lower and wider, which I think is almost always a positive. I mentioned the meaner looking face more as description than a praise. The face of the car is probably my least favorite part of the Chiron tbh. But as I said, I was comparing the styling to the Veyron (a car I don’t like the styling of) and saying how I thought the Chiron improved on it. This is a specific example rather than a general statement. You were coming from a stance “the Veyron is a elegant car, and the Chiron makes it aggressive, which I don’t like” I was coming from the stance that “The Veyron is a weird looking, oddly proportioned car, and the Chiron makes it aggressive, which I prefer.” So I’m not saying aggression makes a car look better, I’m just saying the aggressive styling of the Chiron looks better than the Veyron imo.

It could very well pass as a Mansory kitted Chiron if you don't know what it actually is. Bleh.

By all accounts never. They are apparently so complex to maintain (stock) that it is difficult to find someone who actually knows how to do it. :(

And when you manage to find someone that knows how to do it, he's always booked and you end up losing your car for a few months. Then you get it back and need to re-send it a few days after. :lol:

Oh my, yes. I actually think it is quite aggressive--it's the "shark" generation, after all--but also profoundly sexy. A Bridgehampton Blue with black interior '70 454/360 4-speed car is a bit of a dream of mine.

I don't see a shark. I see a centerfold.

To be honest, I like the fact Bugatti is homaging the EB110 with this car. However, I just don't think they did a good enough job with the styling. The big problem I have is mainly proportions. The body is kinda too bulky for the appearance they're trying to homage, it's like seeing someone that has gone out-of-shape trying to fit in his old football uniform from High School. The second problem I have are the headlights, which continues my proportions problem. They're too thin for that face, they should have kept them in similar width to the EB110 or even wider.

It's a very strange homage. If you look at the body just right, you can see the EB110 in it. But, the only things that really amplify that is the front with the small horseshoe & the lines protruding from it, and the EB's iconic 5 vents beyond the doors. You have to look for the rest, such as the curvature from the headlights. Or the vents on the sides of the rear window and how the rear glass tends to swoop down under the bodywork just before the spoiler. The stacked quad exhaust is rather bizarre & I can only guess that's a homage to the Dauer EB110 that ran quad exhausts. The large spoiler is clearly a nod to the race car as are the vents front and rear of the front wheels. The rear tail lamps I assume are broken up to "replicate" the EB's rear vents as well. The wheels are very strange and seemingly out of place for a EB as well, until you see the little slants between the spokes. My assumption is those are supposed to be like the EB's wheels where you see the lines "attach" the center of the wheel to the outer rim. Otherwise, they're right off the Noire.

Really, it seems the longer you look at it and see the photos of it next to the silver race car below, that the 2 EB110s Bugatti actually still own are the Centodeici's references which is a bit awkward in design b/c these 2 one-offs look as visually extreme as the Centodeici compared to a normal EB110.
EB02.jpg

Last edited:
I think its the tiny weeny horseshoe grill that js most offensive to me. It just looks so funny, on bith the original and this new car. Likey they knew they had to use it because its a bugatti, but they didnt really want to.

French car built by a German company and given an Italian name...
Both the company's founder, Ettore Bugatti, and the company's owner at the time of the EB110, Romano Artioli, were Italian. As was the EB110 itself, built in Modena, as the only car made by that version of Bugatti.

As this car is an homage to the EB110, a car made in Italy under the ownership of an Italian with the badge of a company founded by an Italian, the Italian name makes sense.

More than that, the EB110 - built in 1991 - was named to celebrate Ettore Bugatti's 110th birthday (September 1881). This Bugatti has revealed the Centodieci on the Bugatti brand's 110th birthday (1909).

Interestingly, the Bugatti brand was originally German - Automobiles E Bugatti was based in Molsheim in Alsace, which was in Germany at the time. The Alsace region has been quite contested over the centuries, and the Alsatian language is more closely related to German than French (just look at the town names: Molsheim, Strasbourg, Wittenheim). In 1871 it became part of Germany again after the Franco-Prussian War, then after WW1 it was back in France (kinda) until Germany annexed it in 1940. After WW2 it became France again (kinda), where it remains today. The modern Bugatti, under German ownership, builds its cars in Dorlisheim, near Molsheim.

Thus in essence you have a German-owned, French-built car, with an Italian name for the Italian-built car by the Italian owner of a German, then French, then German, then French brand founded by an Italian.

C'est das vita.

Back