Burnout Paradise HD Remaster

Picked up Burnout paradise HD remastered yesterday after work, and men... What a joyful afternoon,... It's still addictive as 10 years ago.

It will be a fun weekend!

When you have one smash gate left to go and thus, per definition, you'll have been close to it before. Found the bugger. It was on everyone's favorite road. Work it out from there.

Also this is well worth the watch for a bit of banter and insight into Criterion developing the original Paradise way back when:

Last edited:
Picked up the game today. Had a blast so far doing the freeburn challenges... until my game crashed and i was sent back to the PS4 menu.

Let's hope this doesn't happen again.

10 years on and it's still just as fun, a good reminder that yes, EA used to do great games.

10 years on and it's still just as fun, a good reminder that yes, EA used to do great games.

Lets not pretend that Burnout Paradise was good as a result of EA, or that EA's business practices weren't as bad back then as they are right now. Criterion are the ones responsible for everything that made Paradise a fantastic game.

One thing I really love about the multiplayer in Paradise is that everyone actually works as a team to complete the challenges. I think it's quite rare you would see that in most gaming communities, especially racing games.

This was just a random freeburn session I joined yesterday.

As someone who's not played much of Burnout before, I'm a bit confused! All I've done so far is drive around, and all I can work out is that you need to stop at traffic lights and press L2+R2 to start an event, am I missing something? Just seems to be races so far, or do I need to play more?

As someone who's not played much of Burnout before, I'm a bit confused! All I've done so far is drive around, and all I can work out is that you need to stop at traffic lights and press L2+R2 to start an event, am I missing something? Just seems to be races so far, or do I need to play more?

When you drive past an intersection for the first time, you unlock new events. To start an event, you hold the triggers buttons to start it when you are in the centre of the intersection.

For anyone playing Burnout Paradise for the first time, this game must be quite user-unfriendly. :lol: Some things are not even explained at all such as pulling a handbrake turn and remaining stationary to cancel an event and holding L1 + R1/LB + RB to activate showtime mode.

Blue dots are races - first from A to B.
Yellow dots are Marked Man - A to B whilst Hunter Citizens try to take you down, I think this is 3/4 lives and then you lose.
Red dots are road Rage - take down a target number of cars within the time limit, every takedown under the target score adds 10 seconds.
Blue dots are stunt runs - use the environment to string together as many stunts and skilful driving to beat a target score.

Each road has a road rule (time trial from one end of the road to another) and a Showtime score (smashing as man vehicles as possible before you run out of boost and stop dead). There is a separate score for offline times, which can win a car each, and online times. Online times just being for bragging rights over your friends.

In the environment is 50 super jumps, 400 smash gates and 120 billboards. Collect each set to win a prize car.

Online you can either do a ranked race with up to 8 players or up to 8 players freeburn. In freeburn you have 3 different game modes, race (as above A to B), stunt run (highest score wins again as above), marked Man (one player is set as the marked man and it's everyone job to take them down, get the takedown and you score a point, they get s takedown as a marked man and they get a point, most points win).

You also have freeburn, and times challenges. On freeburn challenges you have 50 for 2 player, 50 for 3 player all the way to 50 for 8 players. Complete all 500 to get a prize car.

That roughly sums up the game, feel free to add me if you'd like to tackle some of the online stuff. My PSN is m8h3r.

This has been DJ Atomica, your guide to Paradise City. :lol:

It's crazy how vague the game is. I know someone playing it for the first time too and the amount of questions I'm getting asked is mental. :lol:

Theres also so many quality of life improvements missing here that have become the norm in the past decade. Mini-maps that rotate, being able to fast travel, changing your car on the fly, setting waypoints on the map and that's just a few things. :lol:

Theres also so many quality of life improvements missing here that have become the norm in the past decade. Mini-maps that rotate, being able to fast travel, changing your car on the fly, setting waypoints on the map and that's just a few things. :lol:

Fast travel in modern games is a Godsend. Not being able to do so in a game like The Crew would be so infuriating! :eek:

got up to B license so far, only played about four or five hours, did a bit of Big Surf Island as well which was pretty good but a bit meh.

The one thing I was actually a bit scared of when I first had the game and still am now is marked man, I don't like having three cars coming at you from out of nowhere trying to take you down.

It's crazy how vague the game is. I know someone playing it for the first time too and the amount of questions I'm getting asked is mental. :lol:

I spent a good 5 minutes searching for the fast travel option before remember that it wasn't a thing in this game. :lol:

Enjoyed my return to Paradise City so far, currently a few wins after getting my A licence so look to get that in a few days. Also completed nearly 50% of Big Surf Island and done a couple of burning routes for the bikes.

Going to try and get towards getting all of the cars before venturing online.

Just hit the platinum tonight. Just have to get the elite license (108 wins :embarrassed:) and then the road rules etc
You can get a platinum without the elite license?!

I'm playing on Xbox and unlocked the achievement for it earlier, isn't it the same on PS4?

You can get a platinum without the elite license?!

I'm playing on Xbox and unlocked the achievement for it earlier, isn't it the same on PS4?
They have the Burnout license one so I'm bot sure if you have them two mixed up.
Is the stupid camera-related trophy still required for platinum? :dopey:
Luckily not as I can't even tell you where mine is :lol:

PSA: Turns out this game does have a fast travel feature... Well, kind of.

Say you complete an event from the Wildcats stadium which finishes in the mountains, but you want to return to the city. You finish the event, open the EasyDrive menu and select "restart last event" which takes you back to the beginning and then you can quit the event from there.

One thing I desperately, DESPERATELY miss from the old version is the ability to copy your save data from old versions of Paradise on the PS3/360 and upload them to the Criterion site, where they would give you an interactive map that you could see what collectibles you haven't or have nabbed. Would make these final few smash gates so much easier.

Would anybody be interested in getting Freeburn challenges for 5 and more players done on Friday? I'm not worried about 2 to 4 players, but anything more I'd rather not deal with randoms in pub lobbies dropping in and out.

Would anybody be interested in getting Freeburn challenges for 5 and more players done on Friday? I'm not worried about 2 to 4 players, but anything more I'd rather not deal with randoms in pub lobbies dropping in and out.
I recently got my PS+ renewed so I'd gladly help out.

I recently got my PS+ renewed so I'd gladly help out.

Seeing as I've got a grand total of 0 done, why not?

Jesus son, I already have a little over 100 done.

Let's do it! I'm in

Would anyone here be up for tackling the various Multiplayer Trophies on PS4?

I’m seeing plenty of lobbies for Freeburn but comparatively little for Cops and Robbers, Stunt Run etc.

I believe many of these can be done with just 2 or 3 people.

Would anyone here be up for tackling the various Multiplayer Trophies on PS4?

I’m seeing plenty of lobbies for Freeburn but comparatively little for Cops and Robbers, Stunt Run etc.

I believe many of these can be done with just 2 or 3 people.
I'll have a quick game of them, add me m8h3r

Back