Buttkicker Options - Experience Needed

• Thread starter readyfe
  • 308 comments
That DSE A2760 amplifier may struggle though and a quick google gives the impression it's not the best of quality. Tactile is rather demanding so it's use at your own risk. Personally I'd say look for a recommended alternative and 4ohm if possible.

Thanks Mr Latte, thought I'd ask. Best thing is I get my BK Advanced, enjoy it for a bit and then work out my options from there.

Ultimately my plan is the following, get another 100watt per channel (5.1/7.1ch amp) and set it up in a 3.1ch set up:

BK Advanced - LFE
Aura Pro OR BK Mini LFE - L&R
Aura Pro OR BK Mini LFE - Centre

Delivered to Australia:
For 3 x Aura AST-2B-4 Pro $220
For 3 x Buttkicker Mini LFE $325

Is it worth the extra $100 for the BK Mini LFE ??

fred.e

I mailed Guitarammer support about the bottoming out of the transducers and here the official answer:

....The noise you are hearing is the mini LFE reaching the limit of its' pistons' travel. This will not damage the transducer or the amplifier. This occurs when a very strong signal is sent to the transducer.....

I also asked about the red clipping light:

The red light is the "clipping" indicator. When it is on it is an indication to lower the output of the amplifier, continuous operation at clipping can result in the mini LFE heating up and shutting off for a short time to prevent damage to the unit. This will not damage the transducer or amplifier, but the mini LFE may stop working at times when you would not want it to.

I googled a lot the last few days, but i could not find an answer as clear as Andrew gave me. He's very helpfull:tup:

and here the official answer:

I also asked about the red clipping light:

The red light is the "clipping" indicator. When it is on it is an indication to lower the output of the amplifier, continuous operation at clipping can result in the mini LFE heating up and shutting off for a short time to prevent damage to the unit. This will not damage the transducer or amplifier, but the mini LFE may stop working at times when you would not want it to.

First they say continuous operation at clipping can result heating up and shutting off for a short time to prevent damage ... then they say this will not damage the transducer or amplifier.

I know for a fact that if the amp clips for too long, it will kill the amp, at least for a gamer 2 model.

Yes of course.. Two ways, they have a splitter from the receiver to split one sub line out to the woofer and the other to the BK. Other option is if your sub has a line out to run a line to your BK Amp..

Hope this helps.. There's some user guides on the BK site - I'll find you some links.

See attached

Also if you look at wiring diagrams on Buttkicker's website it is possible to wire 2x units for an 8ohm load on one channel. See how this is done then both will work as a single mono unit.

That DSE A2760 amplifer may struggle though and a quick google gives the impression it's not the best of quality. Tactile is rather demanding so it's use at your own risk. Personally I'd say look for a recommended alternative and 4ohm if possible.

Thank you!

left888
I know for a fact that if the amp clips for too long, it will kill the amp, at least for a gamer 2 model.

Guitammer co. Has some of the best customer service out there. I had a 5yr old Gammer 1 amp catch fire on me and when I contacted them about it they had me send some pix, said it was still under warranty...bada bing! 3 days later a free Gammer 2 amp and return box for bad one. :-)
Ps. Didn't catch fire from clipping either. Gammer 2 amp seems more reliable.

Lost with other posts..

Prices delivered to Australia:

3 x Aura AST-2B-4 Pro $220
3 x Buttkicker Mini LFE $325

Is it worth the extra $35 each for the BK Mini LFE ??

readyfe
Lost with other posts..

Prices delivered to Australia:

3 x Aura AST-2B-4 Pro $220
3 x Buttkicker Mini LFE $325

Is it worth the extra $35 each for the BK Mini LFE ??

In my opinion yes. I have 2 mini LFE's being delivered on Friday. It may be a couple of weeks before I configure them and mount but will let you know. I haven't used the Aura's yet but from all the researching I've done the Buttkickers are a more hearty and robust transducer. BTW that's not a bad price, I live 3hrs away from the Guitammer company and the mini LFE's are $99 US.

I'm in a position where I can source an A500. As my racing is limited to pretty much F12011 on PS3 can I get some advice please.

Current - PS3 -> Optical -> Pioneer VSX-515 (5.1ch) -> via Sub Line Out -> BK Advanced Wireless Kit.

Proposed for 2 ch Tactile (plus the above for .1 LFE) I need the Behringer A500 -> Behringer FBQ3102 EQ -> 2 x BK Mini LFE (for Left / Right ONLY).

3 Questions..

Firstly, will the FBQ1502 Be sufficient for my needs (cheaper)
Secondly, do I run the A500 from the PS3 AV Composite out (Red & White)
Thirdly, will this be a good medium for 2.1ch Tactile Surround (to start with).

Thanks...

ORRRRR to simplify things, if I just want to add left and right to my rig in addition to my (on the way) BK Advanced LFE what is the best way..?

Last edited:
I guess I really need help with the "green" part of the image.
Everything else is pretty simple.

p.s. yes I'm in I.T.

Last edited:
Are you wanting to use the RL and RR channels to drive the Minis? If so, it looks like you need to feed the RL and RR channels from your Pioneer amp into the A500. 👍

If you only have one set of speaker-out terminals on the Pioneer, you could simply attach a pair of suitable leads onto the binding posts (or whatever it has) and connect them to the input side of the A500.

If it's the LFE channel you want to use to drive the minis, you'll need to split the output of your amp (or subwoofer) LFE channel and squirt it to the A500.

For reference, the A500 uses XLR or 1/4" jack (headphone style) connections.

:)

And to answer your questions:
1. The FBQ1502 will be fine (I use these in my setup and they're great).
2. You probably could do (I believe the PS3 supports multi audio output) but why not drive the A500 from the Pioneer? You can use the FBQ1502 to monitor and alter the input levels to the A500 if necessary.
3. It's a perfect place to start! 👍

Last edited:
Are you wanting to use the RL and RR channels to drive the Minis? If so, it looks like you need to feed the RL and RR channels from your Pioneer amp into the A500. 👍

If you only have one set of speaker-out terminals on the Pioneer, you could simply attach a pair of suitable leads onto the binding posts (or whatever it has) and connect them to the input side of the A500.

If it's the LFE channel you want to use to drive the minis, you'll need to split the output of your amp (or subwoofer) LFE channel and squirt it to the A500.

For reference, the A500 uses XLR or 1/4" jack (headphone style) connections.

The BK advance is running LFE off the sub - thats sorted.
I'm more unsure on the additional Mini LFE's running off the A500 and where to get the signal from?

The purpose of the Mini LFE's is to get Left and Right tactile...
The 5.1ch Receiver is using all its terminals for the 5 satellite speakers I'm already running.

Only option then is to use the multi-audio out from the PS3 ?

I believe that multi-audio out is an option yes, but you could just connect additional wires to the outputs on the Pioneer and feed them to the A500 :)

It's no different to using a splitter cable.

I believe that multi-audio out is an option yes, but you could just connect additional wires to the outputs on the Pioneer and feed them to the A500 :)

Okay so I run an additional cable into the receiver (so it will have a speaker cable to the speaker and another to the A500) correct?

If so, which do you recommend for best effects - the RL & RR ?

The seat will have the BK Advanced under the seat, and the other two either on the side of the seat.. I know there'll be trial and error but would love to get any advice..

Thanks again..!

Correct. 👍

As for effects, try LR & RR first and see what you think. Experimentation is half the fun :)

Okay so I run an additional cable into the receiver (so it will have a speaker cable to the speaker and another to the A500) correct?

If so, which do you recommend for best effects - the RL & RR ?

The seat will have the BK Advanced under the seat, and the other two either on the side of the seat.. I know there'll be trial and error but would love to get any advice..

Thanks again..!

Your Pioneer 515 has VCR stereo record output.
So you should be able to simply run a set of RCA cables from it to the A500 Behringer, with the right cables of course. If not you could try the PS2 type multi connector in the back of the PS3 and connect stereo L/R from it while keeping also HDMI and Optical. This used to be possible on older firmware I'm not sure if it still is.

I would recommend you use stereo and not surround channels on your seat. Certainly consider adding surround channels later but go with stereo first. It's also better with musc too this way.

Let the BKA do the LFE that's what it's good at and set the crossover on your Pioneer to around 100 maybe work it down lower (depending on preference) to see what you prefer. If you go with 3xunits on LFE it will not be as immersive.

Take note, that different DSP modes can alter the LFE performance.

Last edited:

Huh ? Low impedance/high power output into a high impedance/low power input ? Looks like I need me some edgumakashun.

Scotty

Huh ? Low impedance/high power output into a high impedance/low power input ? Looks like I need me some edgumakashun.

Scotty

Well, if you think that's bad advice, say so (I have never claimed to be an expert and I won't be offended). And feel free to suggest alternatives...

LFE feedback in GT5 is separated into the various channels. This requires that either a receiver is required that has a dedicated LFE output for a subwoofer that you can tie into (as it combines the low frequencies of all channels) or at least two speakers (Aura's, or BK's) for stereo.

The logic is that if you are just tapping off of a stereo output for your feedback you are getting only half the sound due to the way GT5 audio works!!! I had 1 BK that was going off of the stereo output and then the digital output was going to 5.1 headphones. I went to 2 BK's and was amazed at how much more feedback there is in the game, this is because the developers segregated 100% by R/L channels the feedback sound.

I use the HDMI output to a Sony TV for picture/sound. Optical out of the TV goes to the 5.1 headphones. Stereo (R/L) output goes to a BEHRINGER GEQ3102 then to a stereo Peavy 1000W 2ohm subwoofer amp (was used and dirt cheap). With this driving the two BK's for left and right feedback. I am amazed the difference from only 1 BK how much of the feedback I was not getting as if I hit the wall or another car on the left side and I was using the right side output, there was NO feedback.

scoddee
Readfe said he's using a BK amp. They have necessary pass filters.

Scotty

But even after a lot of tweaking the low/high frequency cutoff filters on the BK amp, you will never get the same amount of noise reduction of using both the amp's filters paired with the LFE channel(sub output). Used together they work great, but the buttkicker amp isnt a good enough filter/EQ by itself, use it with a surround receiver for best results.

.....I am amazed the difference from only 1 BK how much of the feedback I was not getting as if I hit the wall or another car on the left side and I was using the right side output, there was NO feedback.

You can also solve this by connecting the L/R wires (black on black and red on red) from the stereo out of the PS3. It does require some soldering. It also works on the xbox 360.

Of course two buttkickers is a better option :D

Scotty

I believe the_greez is implying to connect via the line level outputs and NOT the speaker level outputs, although this can be done on some amps:http://site.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/menu/amp300.pdf
For example.

Also a speaker level interface adapter can be used to connect directly to the speaker level outputs, my Gammer 1 came with one.

Last edited:
Well, if you think that's bad advice, say so (I have never claimed to be an expert and I won't be offended). And feel free to suggest alternatives...

I've seen your impressive web site and when I replied I was careful. "Huh ?" means "I don't get it". Next I laid out the issue as I saw it and explained it. It didn't add up to me so I humorously (to me) girded myself for an education.

I got one.

Some amps and/or receivers accept speaker level (low impedance) inputs and that's news to me. If this is not a rare feature on amps and/or receivers (excluding sub amps) then I'm completely behind the times. I don't THINK I am.

My original post you quoted remains bulletproof under dissection. No apologies.(ouch, that sounds rude. I don't in anyway mean it like that the_greeze).:nervous:

Thanks to Dragon_Dude for the "edgumakashun".

Scotty

Last edited:
genius73
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-APA150-Power-Amplifier/dp/B000VKXLBO/ref=pd_sim__35

i think this is what im looking for, 75w stereo, 4 ohm , low pass crossover.

my 5.1 reciever is hdmi. run this off a/v out of ps3 to to aura shakers. yes/no.

I was going to go with the one I linked above: audiosource amp310 because I have an older audiosource Eq that still works great after 20yrs but after checking out a small sample of reviews they may have some reliability issues, this may be better answered by some others in here that are more knowledgable about electronics, in particular amps than I am. So I chose the Behringer A500 (better price) but it too may have an inherent flaw, saw a YouTube vid...I'll link shortly, but this may not be a factor in powering tactile?

Edit link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWj5CUl7rio&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Back