Buttkicker Options - Experience Needed

• Thread starter readyfe
  • 308 comments
Dragon_Dude
I like working on my rig as much as I like using it lol :-)

+1. Its sounds crazy to me but I do too. I have spent waaaay more time designing and developing my cocpits than I ever have playing games in them. oh well, building cockpits is a hobby too, my wife likes me to be outside anyways hehe.

So this is where I am at.

Received: Behringer A500.
Ordered: 2 x Buttkicker Mini LFE.
Ordered: 1 x Behringer Ultragraph FBQ1502
Ordered: 1/4" TRS Adaptors & Cables
Ordered: 16RU Rack Rails for my DIY Pro Audio Rack (to sit on the side of my cockpit so that the EQ and controls are at arms length).

So the end result will be the following:

- ButtKicker Power Amplifier BKA300 - ButtKicker Advance - Signal is LFE from 5.1ch Receiver.
- Behringer A500 - 2 x Buttkicker Mini LFE - Signal is Multi-AV Out for L/R signal (adjusted by FBQ1502).

It's all coming together now...

Looking good readyfe.

Somehow i did not feel like racing this morning. I felt more like hanging back and gaming with a controler. So i started playing Syndicate. After playing the game for half an hour sitting in my office chair, i thought let's try it from my race seat using tactile feedback of the two mini LFE's and the BK advance.

The experience is awesome. :D
Syndicate uses a kind of slowmotion the amplifies the gunshot.
This is definatly one of the tactile experience i have had so far. I'll be using my raceseat for more than just racing.:)

Coming along nicely "readyfe"

Do try as I suggested earlier your recievers "record out" it should output in stereo whatever selected source your reciever is outputting. So this way rather than using the multi av out off PS3 you can get tactile from other consoles/music/tv or whatever you hook up.

Go on give an old SNES some tactile :)
HoiHman is right too, many other games particularly FPS work great on tactile too.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Readyfe you should try and come out of your speaker output for your mini's (unless you have seperate line level outs for each channel), it will segregate the zones nicer. Here's my equip list and how I've found the best "feel" so far:

STR-D1015 Sony
Behringer DI20 Ultra-DI box
Behringer A500 Reference Amplifier
Behringer FBQ3102 31-Band Equalizer
2-Buttkicker Mini LFE's
1-Buttkicker Gamer and 130-C amp

I have the source coming from PS3 via HDMI > Sony XBR6 KDL46" > Sony STR-D1015 receiver > L and R front channels speaker out > FBQ3102 > A500 > mini LFE's L and R channels and Center speaker out > DI120 box > 130-C amp > Gammer. I've experimented with Gammer coming out of rear speaker outs too and it's where I'll put it once I get 2 more mini's for pedal area for center channel. Your receiver is much newer and will most definitely sound nicer and you have more power to throw into the BK-Advance with the 300w amp.

This is getting seRious
q6m69l.jpg

Just some of the "Project R" sub/tactile family
U3ja5l.jpg

Apologies for the teasing but Ive been waiting a long time to get back into this.

Last edited:
While yes im using lots of various components. I have ideas to implement that have not to my knowledge been done on a cockpit before and this will increase the immersion.

Even the die hard guys at iracing will be blown away and nothing I've seen comes close to my plans in this area. Its not a boast just my findings to my concept/experiment. The question remains if I can make all the ideas work and have it run as expected.

An orchestra can make sweet music yet be powerfull, dramatic and combine a wide range of instruments. All I can say is I'm looking at that approach and have the user control to transform and alter things easily to accommodate different games and configurations.

Within a few weeks I will show a photo that will give people a better idea.
The room is being done with acoustic tiles to further maintain the quality that's after the electrician finishes with the new lighting etc and enables me to use over 7kw of electrical components safely and without effecting the trip.

Then the speakers can be placed and work on all the tactile begins again.

Last edited:
:cheers: 7kw WOW , that's lot of power :cheers:

I'll be following that blog closly Mr Latte:tup:

+1

I've got this mental image for some reason now that you look like "doc" from the "back to the future" movies and you have this laboratory complete with plasma arcing Tesla tubes :)👍

Rubber just arrived! Sounds funny but I can tell right away this stuff is perfect! wt.=7.2lb/3.3kg for a 1 ft x 1 ft piece by 3/4 inch thick, its a hard neoprene blend SBR and CR. I needed 9.5 ft for the bottom of rig and this is exactly what I was looking for! Name of the manufacturer is Rubber Cal www.rubbercal.com

UPDATE:

IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1569.jpg
IMG_1571.jpg
IMG_1577.jpg

In hindsight I think I would use a silicon based adhesive over Gorilla glue due to expanding action of Gorilla glue at seams. Gorilla glue good at compression applications...not so under tension, had to re-glue hook & loop wire holders with silicon adhesive.
Also, set Gamer to rear channel and WOW! can feel engine rumble clean and thru entire frame, can put hand on pedals/steering deck and feel the tactile!!!

Last edited:
I have the source coming from

Sony STR-D1015 receiver > L and R front channels speaker out > FBQ3102 > A500 > mini LFE's L and R channels

Sony STR-D1015 receiver > Center speaker out > DI120 box > 130-C amp > Gammer.

Are you running your receiver in 3 channel ? Why are you running the Gamer off Centre instead of the LFE ?

Also, what is the purpose of the DI-120 box ?

I read in your last post you've moved the Gamer to rear channel - is that both the L&R rear channel then with your DI120 sending it one mono channel ? A little confused.

My plan as stated before is run the BK-Advance off the LFE and the two Mini-LFE's off the Stereo Output of the PS3 via the FBQ1502 then A500.

fred.e

1. Yes, I'm running a front L & R and a rear mono channel currently. I have no LFE output (I bought receiver in my 20's 1991'ish lol).

2. A DI or direct injection box takes a high level source (rated up to 3000w) and brings it down to line level, I needed this for the Gammer. The Eq pre amp running to the L & R mini has enough gain adjustment that I don't need a DI box for them.

3. No I don't need to bridge the rear L & R because receiver only outputs in mono for the rear.

4. Using the separate channel outputs via the speaker outs creates different tactile using the Dolby modes as opposed to tapping into the L & R A/V from PS3. I get much better engine feed back using the rear channel. It's really a matter of experimenting with different outputs and surround mode settings to get what you want according to how many transducers one has. Also the feedback changes depending on the view you use.

Last edited:
This is more of a surround sound question, but I currently have the front 3 speakers on the far wall and the rear surrounds right behind me.

Is there any difference by having the front speakers a lot closer as in centre right behind the wheel and left and right mounted to the front of the cockpit, or how is how I've got it better?

I am asking only because it effects the location of my AV equipment.

Thanks...

Last edited:
^^^i think moving them closer will improve the sound. Long and short speaker distances screw up return echo timing and other such esoterica.

So this is where I am at.

Received: Behringer A500.
Received Today: 2 x Buttkicker Mini LFE.
Pick Up Today: 1 x Behringer Ultragraph FBQ1502
Received: 1/4" TRS Adaptors & Cables
Complete: 16RU Rack Rails for my DIY Pro Audio Rack (to sit on the side of my cockpit so that the EQ and controls are at arms length).

I pick up my FBQ1502 this afternoon - and I will be a busy boy tonight tinkering away.

I've also been advised my GamePod GT2 Evo will ship today from the UK so I've got about 2 weeks to lose about 10 kg's to fit in the seat comfortably!

Congrats readyfe! It's extremely addicting, I've sourced a bunch of goodies too :) Along with some stuff that I've had sitting around for awhile, I've been a busy builder lol.

Last edited:
So the rack is in, but the wife decided to be extra talkative tonight so didn't get much done..
My Dad is a retired welder so got him to make me this rack, also while I ordered the GamePod, I'm hoping one day when I have a dedicated room, I will get him to make me up a custom rig with all the bells and whistles...

I should also say, when i first started this thread there is no way I would've seen myself running a dedicated AV rack for Transducers. My original plan was my Turtle Beach headphones and a Buttkicker so here we go...

THANK YOU to all those that have contributed, you've all really helped me in my direction with this (so far)...

img2012052800225.jpg

img2012052800227.jpg

Last edited:
Back