• Thread starter Slash
  • 115 comments

Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
So as a lot of you know I currently have a 1985 Honda 200X three-wheeler. A friend of mine picked up a 1984 200X no to long ago but now he is interested in selling it to me, and I'm very interested. It sat outside for 15 years but hear me out.

He is asking $200. The bike does not run, but I know what is wrong with it. The gas tank has a dent, most plastics are gone and needs a front tire, rear axle bearings, a chain and a taillight. The one I currently own also needs a chain. It also comes with a Honda 200S engine (pullstart) that also does not run. It has a brand new wireing harness, spark plugs, the 200X engine was honed, and totally rebuilt, the carb was rebuilt but needs to be rejetted which is why it won't run long. It also needs a muffler but other than that it's all there.

The frame was cracked and re-welded nicely. It would be a nice little project for me I think, especially if I wanted to do a full restore. The grab bar was replaced also.

So basically, heres what I have in front of me in a nutshell.

1984 Honda 200X
Asking $200
Brand New Wireing Harness
Headlight Works
New Spark Plug
Block honed and rebuilt
Carb rebuilt (needs rejetting)
Comes with original 200X engine and a Honda 200S engine (doesn't run)
CDI Box replaced
Needs a Rear Taillight
Needs Plastics
Needs Chain
Needs Fork Boots
Needs Front Tire and/or studs
Needs Rear Axle Bearings
Needs a seat
Needs Muffler
Needs Brakes (Already purchased)
Needs Skid plate
Needs Clutch/Throttle Linkage

$200 is a fair price I think. For what it would cost to get it driveable would still be cheap compared to buying one of Ebay. A tire, carb, chain, and axle bearings would run me maybe a little over $100. $300 total versus one for $1,500 online.

I think it's totally worth it if you ask me but I would like some insight. I'm an avid three wheeler fan so this is really tempting. I may not be able to get another one this cheap again for a while.

In the future I would like to do a total restoration, including a new frame to replaced the cracked/repair original one but that would be a long ways away yet. Plastics alone will cost about $250 which is more than I can buy the bike for.

EDIT:

Forgot to add that it comes with the original 200X engine and the 200S one.

Last edited:
Working on a picture of the three wheeler in question now, I'll post it if I get it.

EDIT: Here's the three wheeler in question.

0725121803.jpg

For sake of comparison, this is what it will look what it's all done.

mod200.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still trying to decide if I want to knab this bike. I know I'm going to regret it if I don't, but it's going to need a lot of work. And I don't want another friend of mine buying it (he is also very interested) for a few reasons. If he gets it, I won't be able to restore it and it's one of my favorite bikes of all time. If he gets it, I'll kick myself for not getting to it first, and if he gets it, I'm afraid he might wreck it completely. Also, the guy selling it to me says one of us needs to get it because he's thinking about scrapping it. NOOOOOOOO

Anyways. If I pick this up, some deep thought has made me think about what I'm going to have to do to this bike. I really don't want to use the original frame....just because of the cheap weld on the weak down tube where it cracked. I'm afraid it might break while riding even if I somehow manage to get my dad or one of the teachers at my school to weld it up for me. Just a fear in my mind, and a good one. One of the options I have though is cutting out the bad section and possibly putting a smaller diameter tube inside the original, and then fitting the other tube back over it, welding it and then putting a brace over it. But even then it would be sketchy. And it would take away from the overall quality that I am trying to achiieve. Mostly everything isn't salvagable except for a couple things so it would be like buying everything off eBay and building a bike from nothing. That said, I don't really care what this bike is going to cost me as long as it's reasonable, which I think anything like this should be, because I don't plan on ever selling it and I'm building it for my enjoyment, not anyone elses. So piss off :lol:

Another thing I've been thinking about is wether or not I want to keep it stock looking and if I want to do a OEM restoration. Yes I would like an OEM restoration bu at the same time I also want it in different colors over stock, ya kow. Maybe a red frame with white plastics, or a black frame with white plastics, are maybe all black plastics and a red frame. I'm a sucker for white plastics on first generation 200X's. Also rims was the other thing I wanted to touch up on. I think if I do the white plastics and red frame and stock seat (which if I go the white plastics route, I'll change to an '85 seat because I really like the blue over black and the fact it says 200X in white letters on it), I might want to change to early 1983-1984 250R rims. They are the same size as 200X rims but instead of being brushed aluminum and brushed steel, they are gold and I think that would look absolutely fantastic with the white, red, blue combination.

That and what do I want to do with the engine. Obviously, the engine that it comes with doesn't run. Neither the 200X or 200S engine runs. What I might do is buy a cheap one that runs off Ebay then spend money on the original 200X engine and build it up, pretty mildy so it leaves room for gains later. Was thinking for a built, just a small overbore, 10:1 Wiseco piston so I can run pump gas, larger and rejetted carb, with a full exhaust system, possibly a 13 tooth sprocket up front. Anyone know what brand exhaust system to use if any? Or leave it stock? Everyone I talk to says stick with DG and stay away from Cobras, they are loud but make no power. I'm sure anything will be an improvement over the stock system witha baffle haha. I don't really care for porting the head, stroking it and high performance cams, that's not what this is about. It's about having something to ride around. If I want a racer, I'll knab a 250R to smash my buddies Raptors with, or a 350X which is my dream bike anyways. Engine mods for the 200X are pretty expensive, a camshaft alone can cost $250 or more. Lets not get started on cranks.....

When you really get into it, this ATC really isn't any different from any other motorcycle out there. Can anyone give me some insight on these things? I really would like my mind at ease. Thanks for all the help if I get any haha.

Also, when I said white, red and blue combination, this is what I want to go for (except I'll probably put a chrome front fender brace on and a black log gaurd on the headlight, maybe will add a wire mesh stone guard as well.

white200x002.jpg

These rims.

$T2eC16NHJG!E9nm3o)!uBQ2M8WWM5w~~60_35.JPG

Thoughts?

As nice as it'll be restoring it Slash, I would personally wait until a better example comes along that needs less work. The problem is that if you bought this and then had a change of heart, you would be hard pushed to make that money back in selling it for parts.

They aren't the most challenging vehicles to restore, so as a first go it would be good. There are also many things even easier to restore. However one that needs less work would be easier, but then you wouldn't get such a buzz from finishing it.

Tom
As nice as it'll be restoring it Slash, I would personally wait until a better example comes along that needs less work. The problem is that if you bought this and then had a change of heart, you would be hard pushed to make that money back in selling it for parts.
That's what I was thinking about also. Thing is I'd kick myself if this did go to the scrap yard. I wanted to save as many as possible lol. That's very true though. I would hope I don't have a change of heart though. With any luck my dad may actually help with this though just because he enhoys the ones he's had and still has.
cgg
They aren't the most challenging vehicles to restore, so as a first go it would be good. There are also many things even easier to restore. However one that needs less work would be easier, but then you wouldn't get such a buzz from finishing it.

Exactly. They might look a little complex but really everything is bolt on to the frame, there nothing really tough about restoring these other than it's time consuming (well if I really worked I could have it done in about a month or less), and it's expensive. I mean I have a feeling I'll end up dropping $1,500+ into this thing. Which, if you really think about it, if I bought ne in better shape for $800 or so (getting that kind of money would be tough for me), I'd really only be putting in just enough that the total cost would equal what this one would cost to restore. And yeah I really want that buzz from finishing it, though I'd probably sit back and admire it for a while XD.

I'm so torn over all this.

Just looking at the pics, the 200 is alien to me. My 70 only has a rear brake, and no front suspension. It doesn't have a light either. does the 200 have an automatic clutch like the 70?

Nope it's full manual clutch as well. The automatic's where on 200S's, 200ES/250ES (Big Red), 250SX's etc.

This is the sport/trail bike. The smallest race model available at the time. The ATC 70's were one of the models leading up to this. It was a revolutionary bike as it had full suspension, front and rear brakes, manual clutch etc.

This is the ATC 70.

1753d1291831347-1983-honda-atc70-sale-100_2894.jpg

EDIT:

I may also get some really heavy winter gear (on top of my ski gear) and go back and forth to work on this.

Last edited:
That's what I have. 4 speed gearbox, reaching around 30-35 mph. Mine came with reflectors on the forks though, that were factory fitted, mine is just older though. The best weather to take it out in, is either damp in a woodland, or anywhere snowy. Even drifting on a 70 is great fun.

The first generation 200X's have 5 speed gearboxs, second generation has 6 speeds. The weak link was 3rd gear, they are known to slip and pop out of gear under heavy load (if it's worn out). This will do about 60 if I push it.

These things are just a blast to ride and shred stuff up with, that's why I want another one. That and I want some kind of project like this.

There isn't even a point for me to have one, just for a laugh.
Trike>Motorbike & Quad
I love the others aswell, but trikes are just so different.

Talking about projects, I finally convinced my dad that a beetle would be great for my first car. When I get to 16, I might be getting one, then rebuilding etc. for when I can drive.

I would try and talk him down a little. Yes this will be a big investment but would it increase the value if you make it a "custom" rather than restoration? I'm not an expert on this but at local ATV/MX Parks i see some of these things with a modern 450 Yamaha engine thrown into it. And they are crazy fast and dangerous. Yes that would be expensive buying a motor but do you want it as a restoration or something you want to have fun on and keep for yourselve?

cgg
There isn't even a point for me to have one, just for a laugh.
Trike>Motorbike & Quad
I love the others aswell, but trikes are just so different.

Talking about projects, I finally convinced my dad that a beetle would be great for my first car. When I get to 16, I might be getting one, then rebuilding etc. for when I can drive.

I grew up riding them like I've said so I've always wanted my own and for my dad to ride his. I feel the same. Trikes forever!!!!!

I'd rebuild it an plop a 302 in the back of it haha

Also we have race tracks around here and san pits and stuff. Trails behind my house as well.

I would try and talk him down a little. Yes this will be a big investment but would it increase the value if you make it a "custom" rather than restoration? I'm not an expert on this but at local ATV/MX Parks i see some of these things with a modern 450 Yamaha engine thrown into it. And they are crazy fast and dangerous. Yes that would be expensive buying a motor but do you want it as a restoration or something you want to have fun on and keep for yourselve?

He seems pretty stiff on the $200 asking price to be honest. I talked to him about it before. I think if I walk up to him with a hand full of cash he'd take it though. I just need the money before this other kid gets ahold of it.

If anything the value would stay the same or decrease, and if it was kept original it wouldsell a lot easier if for some reason I decided to get rid of it. A 450 Yahama wouldn't even fit in this thing. The 350X is a bigger bike altogehter and that hardly fits. These things are dangerous as it is, 60+mph just on a 200X, 350X around 72....250R's go up to 93 in some cases.

I want it as a restoration and keep as much of it original as possible and by that I mean orgiginal engine etc. I want it a little peppy but the stock engine is already quit a bit to handle.

cgg
You have local ATV/MX parks? Where do you live? I'm coming to your house now.

Yah I have 2 within an hour away, hour 15 ish. This is one and this place is huge. They have rock crawling, mud bogs, enduro racing. AMA has one of their enduro races here. This place is just insane and fun.

http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

The other one is still pretty big just not as popular (compared to badlands of course) but still pretty big. And about 15 min away there is a place with trails, and other quad and buggy stuff. I live in Southwest Ohio.

Anyways slash this guy owned a ATV shop thing so he probably did frame modification...

cgg
I'm happy on my 70. It's fast and scary enough for someone of my size.
Imagine me riding that 200X then....160lbs and 5'8".....My dad weighs around 240 (muscle) and that 200X hauls with me and him on it.
Yah I have 2 within an hour away, hour 15 ish. This is one and this place is huge. They have rock crawling, mud bogs, enduro racing. AMA has one of their enduro races here. This place is just insane and fun.

http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

The other one is still pretty big just not as popular (compared to badlands of course) but still pretty big. And about 15 min away there is a place with trails, and other quad and buggy stuff. I live in Southwest Ohio.

Anyways slash this guy owned a ATV shop thing so he probably did frame modification...

I wouldn't doubt it. We have a lot of race tracks and tons of places to ride up here in New York. If I move down to Lima, Ohio to attend the tech schooll I want to go to I'll bring them with me and we'll go riding after I get out during the week or whatever.

Mich, see me in about 10 hours :lol: I wish we had that sort of stuff here. It reminds me of Red Wood on MTX Motoraxx. Free riding in a massive wood.

I'm 110 pounds and 5'6". I used to ride it when I was about 8 years old though. I still remember the day that me, my dad, brother and sister went to pick it up.

Yes we should. UNOH is a good tech school. I got mail from them before. But anyways its really fun. You should be 18 by then so you don't need a parent/guardian with you.

Since everyone else is saying this... I'm 5'10 and 140 LBS

Last edited:
cgg
Mich, see me in about 10 hours :lol: I wish we had that sort of stuff here. It reminds me of Red Wood on MTX Motoraxx. Free riding in a massive wood.

I'm 110 pounds and 5'6". I used to ride it when I was about 8 years old though. I still remember the day that me, my dad, brother and sister went to pick it up.

I've had these since I was born. my dad bought the pair, brand new for $500 in 1992 off someone. Had the one rebuilt then he sold it after it got blown up. That one had smome serious balls.

Yes we should. UNOH is a good tech school. I got mail from them before. But anyways its really fun. You should be 18 by then so you don't need a parent/guardian with you.

Thats where I was thinking about going. Swara wnated to go there as well because they had BMW training there.

I'll be 18 in less than a month and a half so it's not an issue there. But yeah even if I leave the one we have no up here I'll bring this one if I'm restoring it etc. Then we can hit the trails as thats what these bikes are good for.

Money gotta be there. I think I need to find a job XD

Thats what I've heard.

Nah I think I'm going to take a stab at getting a job at the local shop I just did an internship for. I have another internship coming up in May for 2 weeks and they are expecting me back so we will see.

Frames go for anywhere between $30-$80. Pretty effin' cheap.

It'll probably be better for you to leave the guy, and buy a frame, and the other parts separately. It'll work out better IMO.

I was almost thinking that for as much work as I'd need to put in. But I think there are some things I can salvage. The front 3 tee and the forks as well as the swingarm with some sandblasting. Might be able to save the tank if I can get the rust out from inside and the dent out and then get a decal kit for the Honda logo that goes there. The plastic wings on the take might be salvageable as well along with some other things but I won't know until I actually see it in person.
Most of the sand blasting, and powercosting I can probably get done really stupid cheap from my tech school but that means I need to hurry and get this before the year ends and they stop taking projects.

Not if I get my school to do it. They do amazing work with exceptional quality. I'm just going to have the frame/hubs and that kind of thing blasted and then powdercoated, probably a few times to lessen the chance of it wearing out and scratching. I might actually consider getting the frame clear coated as well. Seems like a nice touch.

Fair enough. I want to completely build myself a 70 now. Nothing bigger, not for me, but a trike, definitely.

Back