Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

• Thread starter Famine
  • 187 comments
I don't completely enjoy the new ground war/conquest game type. I think it's okay but I'm more of an smaller arena style player.

This game is the not the Battlefield killer which people it out to be.

Anybody with knowledge on both series could have told people that, because both of these games are so diametrically different that they really can't be compared on a level that isn't 'they are first person shooters' One is much faster and places value on map knowledge and reflexes slash positioning, and the other is much more focused on team play, and being able to adapt to situations and work as a squad.

FWIW I am enjoying the actual main chunk of the game, and Gunfight I think is definitely fun enough for me to spend twenty, twenty five minutes at a time and be satisfied. But 32v32 Ground War isn't very good, nor do I think it will actually rise above more then a gimmick. It's way too chaotic with killstreaks and vehicles active, spawn system is crap, and most players really don't do much team play other then 'cap a hotly contested point, sometimes throw grenades in there'

It's also nice to see crossplay work rather well in the beta stage, gives me good hope for the main game's launch. Been playing with a friend on Xbox while I'm on PS4 and no noticeable hiccups.

I almost forgot about the Open Beta. I have only played one game so far, but it went well.

That going well has quickly ended. I played a number of games today and they went mostly bad to terrible.

I can't justify dropping $60 on a game anymore, but I'm going to rent it for a few days to play the campaign and some multiplayer.

I was watching some streams and the maps don't seem better than the beta. Not there are many of them
I wasnt very impressed with the maps in the beta. I bought this last night but kept asking myself why, i did enjoy the beta but wasnt convinced it would live up to MW1/2. Have not played it yet so i hope im not let down.

Will check it out this evening, pre-loaded it yesterday.
Quite curious to be honest as MW2 was the last CoD that I played actively, until it got more and more cheaters and hackers.

Campaign lenght?
Thank you

Roughly 4-5 hours overall, 14 missions total. Total length is a bit short, but each individual mission is quality. Also a lot of small easter eggs and nods to CoD 4 throughout.

Speaking of easter eggs, the ending shows the beginning of TF141, including its original charecters and name-drops Shepard and Zakhaev. Nikolai returns and is a resourceful as ever. The ending also sets up the Spec Ops mode, which is the 2nd part of the game's story.

Last COD I played was MW2. My wife bought me the new game this morning as a surprise. Now downloading 60GB of patches (1.03). Probably on monday for me. I have zéro interest in MP so as long as the SP is good I am happy. Loved MW2 back then and can't wait to give this one a go and absorb completely the campaign.

Vanquish was about 6 hours as well and I rate this one as one of the best shooters ever and well worth the money.

Enjoy everyone 👍

I haven't touched a COD game since MW2 as well. At that time I switched over to Battlefield since the guns didn't feel like twitch firing no recoil nonsense. BFV was not that great for me, and while BF1 still is great and active it's not in a modern setting. The last BF game to have that was BF4 and that's somewhat active but it shows it's age in terms of quality of life things.

I'm gonna be interested in this just because it's the new popular thing so it will have people playing all the time. I heard there's maybe a free Battle Royale coming so I'll check that out if it shows up. Apex Legends is my jam right now.

I spent some good time with it last night and have to say that the multiplayer is really well balanced. The ttk seems balanced, the majority of the maps are well made and ground war actually offers maps in which longer range engagement can be done. Sniper rifles can at last be used for things other than quick scoping.

The weaponsmith offers a massive amount of add ons (Battlefield 4 scale) and it looks great and sounds even better, with spacial placement on my AV system and 7.1 headphones being excellent.

Add in that I've only had a couple of hours in campaign and not even tried Spec Ops yet.

Last edited:
Double Post, but not related to previous post. Now that I have downloaded the game, waited for the shaders to update, and updating video card drivers, I played the Campaign for probably about an hour and a half. I have enjoyed it quite a bit so far. I am looking forward to finishing it and jumping into Multiplayer.

Just went to jump into the Spec Ops mode and it's a separate download of 15 gig, on PS4.
Just heads up in case anyone has slow internet.

I was looking forward to the War game mode because I loved it on WW2, but this is lame. Maps are too big for a CoD game, IMO, and there's only two. I miss the objectives that they had in WW2, where it clumped everyone together more and made for more action.

Is spec ops single player as well?

I notice I haven't played a shooter since a very long time. Doing the career on beginner and got waisted about 20 Times already. Chaotic comes to mind and I need time to adapt. Really like the campaign so far!

I am slowly working my way through the Campaign. I have not had enough time to sit and play for any more than maybe 30 minutes to an hour at a time.

I am slowly working my way through the Campaign. I have not had enough time to sit and play for any more than maybe 30 minutes to an hour at a time.

And now I am on the last mission:

The Juggernaut fight is not fun. I have already died a half dozen times in a short amount of time. It is frustrating. I guess I could lower the difficulty, but having not done that at all so far, I am not sure I want to do that.

Keep throwing flash grenades and unload the a full auto gun into his head. I thought the incendiary shotgun would do best but it's not fast enough

Debating whether to get this, I thought blackout last year was a great mode and much needed different type of play for a cod game.

Never did enjoy the multiplayer on BO4 so I am thinking the multiplayer will bore me quickly this year too.

Does look good though I must say !!

I want to wait for reviews from the youtubers I trust before buying this. But I will probably pick it up once im done with outer worlds though since I am an impulse buyer, lol.

Once Cyberpunk 2077 comes out I will probably forget about both.

Last edited:
I beat the campaign on Regular and have a couple of hours of multiplayer under my belt and I think this is the best CoD game released this generation. There are certainly some issues with the multiplayer but Infinity Ward has been listening to the community so hopefully those issues get fixed fairly quickly.

I'm going to replay the campaign on Veteran difficulty now, it is the best campaign I've played since the original Modern Warfare trilogy. Really happy with the game so far.

Is it normal that I can find only 1 spec ops mission?
Yea, and it's all messed up. There's no objectives, it's an infinite number of enemies, and completing it earns you nothing. There's also no other spec ops missions after. A total waste. If you want co-op, do the four Operations that are supposed to come after the single player campaign

Yea, and it's all messed up. There's no objectives, it's an infinite number of enemies, and completing it earns you nothing. There's also no other spec ops missions after. A total waste. If you want co-op, do the four Operations that are supposed to come after the single player campaign

Yeah I wanted to continue the story in spec ops just to discover I downloaded 17 GB with one useless endless mission which has nothing to do with the story. Bummer! Simply need to wait for those being released. Will train my skills in the campaign once more then :)

They already are, there are four missions you can do. They're the first section of the Co-Op menu and they are labelled Operation *Something*, I don't know them all off hand.

Back