Calling All GT Sport Livery Editors: Williams Esports Wants Your Skills

Are williams gonna get more involved with GT Sport this year?Specifically the FIA Campionship.

This is a bit confusing to me, what Williams is this? Why is it called Williams? Is this Williams Racing officially or is it a fan thing?

They have had a team for a while now. Georgia joined after Nurburgring live event didn't he? Not totally sure.

This is a bit confusing to me, what Williams is this? Why is it called Williams? Is this Williams Racing officially or is it a fan thing?
Williams eSports is the official eSports branch of Williams Racing (the F1 team), which includes their F1 eSports Series team. JIM Racing is their affiliate/junior team.

Will definetely be entering this. I have a decent amount of livery-craftsmanship experience, and I think it will be a cool challenge.

Here's an example of one of my previous works of a similar theme:
7349893292695225400_1-png.798565

7349893292695225400_23-jpg.798566

@PSN offapple wat is your link to your galery?

No, but making a perfect 1:1 replica takes time and effort and often requires thinking outside the box to get the right projection and matching materials within the confines of the editor.

No doubt, but that doesn't make someone a designer, and thats what Williams are after; a designer, not a copier.

I copied this, it doesn't necessarily mean I could have designed it from scratch:
upload_2019-2-11_16-48-45.png

But people are still posting replica liveries like they have some design chops.

you'd like to think that that Williams would take attention to detail into account if they want quality work.

Yes, but they still want a designer, not a photocopier (which they've probably already got plenty of in the office)

I've posted a replica to show i can be accurate. Ive also posted 2 of my own designs to show i can be original - which is their requirement. As it states post existing work only, it took the pressure off making an original livery just for them.

Yes, but they still want a designer, not a photocopier (which they've probably already got plenty of in the office)

I find it rather ironic that an E-Sports team would need physical photocopier. To be fair most Esports teams just probably use discord (obviously Williams probably won't).

Is there an easier way to find these types of competitions or events? I just found out about it today and they already have a tweet up about selecting their 5 finalists or something.

Replicas, especially on their inteded cars, take some forethought at the very least. Finding or making the required decals takes time and plenty of reference. Besides, if one doesn't draw reference from anything ever their work could risk getting stagnant and same-y. It takes looking outside your usual scope, and experimenting with tried-and-true techniques and novel ideas alike, to grow as a designer and artist in any medium.

I don't do liveries myself but do think if I were Williams the only designs I would be looking at are original ones. Further if I were a designer then I would be in contact with Williams to see who are the likely sponsors for the teams to produce a focussed design.

CJ

No doubt, but that doesn't make someone a designer, and thats what Williams are after; a designer, not a copier.

I copied this, it doesn't necessarily mean I could have designed it from scratch:
View attachment 798879

But people are still posting replica liveries like they have some design chops.

Without getting into an argument, I'll leave you with this. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and in my current job in a small print shop, a lot of what I do involves replicating people's artwork from scratch where they only have hard copies or have lost the original artwork. In order to be able to design something new, I have to copy someone else's work.

Copying and designing are very much intertwined.

In this instance, Williams have asked to see people's, past work, if 80% of someone's work is replicas so be it, considering most of the 'designers' who've gone down the "I'll replicate a Williams F1 car in GT Sport, because that's what they'll want to see" route are still copying does that make them any better?!

I find it rather ironic that an E-Sports team would need physical photocopier. To be fair most Esports teams just probably use discord (obviously Williams probably won't).
Not literal photocopier....

Replicas, especially on their inteded cars, take some forethought at the very least. Finding or making the required decals takes time and plenty of reference. Besides, if one doesn't draw reference from anything ever their work could risk getting stagnant and same-y. It takes looking outside your usual scope, and experimenting with tried-and-true techniques and novel ideas alike, to grow as a designer and artist in any medium.
They're searching for a designer, not livery maker.

You can submit designs that exists IRL but you have to improve it in a way. A 1:1 replica will guaranteed to be thrown out of window.

The way I see it is that they want something original to show you can do your own thing. If I’m looking for someone to do a livery on my car, I don’t want a copied version of someone else’s. I want my own thing. I understand that a lot of design is taking an already existing concept and changing it, but with a car livery that’s not really the case in most cases. A lot are original and individual unless said team just wants slight updates on a previous livery.

This is why I think originals are the best route to take. I’m not saying don’t post replicas as the argument as to how detailed you can be is a good one. But you can be detailed with your own. I’ve taken one livery and modified to fit multiple different cars. This isn’t what I’m posting but this is what I believe eve they would like to see. That you can take an idea and transfer it to more than one car

I’ve taken one livery and modified to fit multiple different cars. This isn’t what I’m posting but this is what I believe eve they would like to see. That you can take an idea and transfer it to more than one car
This.

Although I think that a livery needs to adjust to the shape of the car, for an esports team running multiple disciplines, the design must be transposable from a car to another. And maybe add some touches to recognize the drivers.

To be honest i dont get why people are even bothered about what others are entering with. How does it affect anyone but the person who submitted their work? Williams will make the decission and them alone. I suggest people stop worrying about what they think people should enter and just enter their own work and patiently await the results. Pretty sad how this thread has turned out.

To be honest i dont get why people are even bothered about what others are entering with. How does it affect anyone but the person who submitted their work? Williams will make the decission and them alone. I suggest people stop worrying about what they think people should enter and just enter their own work and patiently await the results. Pretty sad how this thread has turned out.
It’s just a discussion. Nothing wrong with that.

I’ve seen a couple of aggressive posts but the rest has been chatting

Last edited:
One of my PSN buddies has got through to stage 2 of this livery comp.

Williams have sent him some images that they require to be used in the livery design. One of the images is almost 1MB in size and not even an SVG. It is nigh on impossible to get the image down to the 15kb SVG limit for the game and retain the detail. They are wanting examples of designs done in the livery editor with photos of the livery taken in game.

What sort of competition are Williams running. Can't even provide the appropriate tools for the entrants to use.?

He queried it with Williams and they just replied saying that the livery ideally needs to include this decal. But it won't go in the game.

What sort of competition are Williams running. Can't even provide the appropriate tools for the entrants to use.?
Having been in the graphic design for the better part of 30years, I can tell you that kind of thing happens quite often. Countless times I've had to re-draw a logo, etc, because the requester couldn't supply proper art.

I just don't think Williams Esports even looked in to how the livery editor works in GTS.

When my mate has queried it, they just keep showing him liveries using the image that were done in iRacing. GTS uses its own i game editor. iRacing lets you use 3rd party paint programs and various image formats without the same file size limitations. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
A proper designer will work its way through with the provided sources, even when its doodoo. It'll cost more, and may have some tweaks due to impossible (ie: cut plotter related) designs etc. But the designer will get the job done.

Appreciate that, but they've made the competition open to folks who are effectively gamers who make liveries, not graphic designers with high end software. They are also saying designs can be created without some of the provided images, but that this may count against the designer in the judging stage. They also want images of the created liveries taken from within the game, so folks are creating liveries and then then creating a 3D render in some fancy graphics package. It's all supposed to be done in GTS on PS4.

Average Joe with just a PS4 but a knack for good liveries is going to hampered because the decal images Willaims are providing are not in the required format that GTS requires or even the appropriate size. Maybe this is a hidden challenge Williams are throwing in to the mix, but I think it is a poor show on their behalf.

Back