Calling all track designers, show off your work!

• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 1,273 comments
Nice track reminds me of Interlargos, downscale it abit and it would be an amazing go kart track.

The top-left sweeper into the straight reminds me of Sepang. 👍

Thanks for the compliments! I actually didn't use those tracks as inspirations. I was aiming for a Road America/Silverstone type track when I started working on it and that was what came out.

I'll have to go back and measure out the Vitesse Circuit.

Anyway, here's one I started last night. It's the first C Concept style track that I've designed.

It's called Carrera Circuit
-6.23 miles
-Clockwise
-Front straight is .85 miles long. The long straight after Turn 1 is .987 miles.

4990299567_180a67cb30_b.jpg

View from Turn 1

4990298809_90c508a6ff_b.jpg

Carrera reminds me of Road America (especially with that carousel) and Vitesse reminds me of a stretch of winding road, like the Col de Turini or something, only condensed into a circuit. Great company to be in 👍

Here's my response to interludes' challenge. Green Forest Park.

- Counter-clockwise
- 18 turns (10 left, 8 right)
- 3.3 mi

A much more modern track than I usually design, Green Forest is both fast and technical. The first corner is a downhill harpin which leads into a flat-right hander, followed by an uphill climb to turn 4. The track remains flat until it reaches the turn 7 kink, which is another steep downhill corner. This is the most feared section of the track, as each corner must be taken flat out, regardless of the fluctuating elevation. The descent down to turn 8 may be a little too wide to provide overtaking opportunities, but daring drivers will use it to their advantage. At turns 9 through 14 the course takes on an entirely new identity. It isn't quite as free-flowing and gets much more technical here. After another flat, high-speed sweeper turns 17 and 18 provide the final chance for position change in the lap.

Inspired by all of you I'm going to attempt my next track with software...probably not with SketchUp though. Not very experienced with it.

Thanks for the compliments!

I really like Green Forest. That's a great looking blot. As a matter of fact, I started recreating your Green Forest on Sketch Up while being bored as heck waiting for the GT5 presentation. And as of this writing (2am), I already have your layout down, the pits & the main grandstand...I hope you don't mind.

EDIT - here's Glassjaw's track done in Sketch Up.

4996533491_9712ae8432_b.jpg

Last edited:
Why can't I see your Singapore track? It's taking ages to look up your routes.

Anyway, I've finished 2 more tracks in addition to re-creating Glassjaw's track. I just have to measure the first one & the other just needs grandstands and stuff.

Alright. here is my attempt. i made it whilst "studying for an exam"

i can't use CAD programs, so i do it all by hand and digitally photograph it

picture.php

It is based of a Motegi style oval, with a road course running off, under the track, out of the stadium, around the back, and back in.

its probably a bit fantasy, as turns 3,4,5,6 would have to take less space, and 2 should be sharper to promote overtaking.

turn 7 is supposed to be a copy of Suzuka's Denger 1 curve

(yes, i forgot to label the real turn 9, and the rest of the numbers are incorrect. just ignore it, and follow the rest of the numbers as they are

14 should also enter the stadium after the turn in point of turn 1, making 15 a 90-degree turn.

the oval is banked, and can be raced on its own. it also should be quite a large infeild, to allow the track to be placed where it is.

notably, the oval width is about 2-3x wider then the restof the circuit.

haven't thought about distances, or if it could be used at all (enough room for pit facilities, paddock, etc?).

i'm thinking an f1 car could do about a 1:40-1:50. (i know f1 cars don't like banking, but i know f1 better then other race series)

/\ Nice concept. It sort of reminds me of that track in Forza 3 where two parts goes under the oval.
On a side note: I actually got told off for drawing a touge course in my Irish copy. :lol:

Last edited:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4096538

It goes through a castle. Therefore, it is awesome (the last little sector could do a little work - the bit over the bride is fiddly at best).

I also made this one - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4096542 - a short, high-speed blast in India.

Fooling around with Vodafone's Hometown GP has also taught me that this - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4096547 - is also a great circuit (except for that little chicane on the main straight; that's not supposed to be there).

And one inspired by Tokyo R246: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4096551

/\ Nice concept. It sort of reminds me of that track in Forza 3 where two parts goes under the oval.
On a side note: I actually got told off for drawing a touge course in my Irish copy. :lol:

Didn't know forza had a track like this!

My design was inspired by Indy, USA, and Rockingham, uk

What's a touge course anyway?

I was hoping no-one woud notice. It's more the layout than the actual setting that I'm thinking of - the circuit looks like it's set in a residential area, which is a bigger problem than that right-hander (which could be fixed with the construction of a purpose-built bend).

Granturismite,

I've been trying to make nice Roval for quite some time now & I've also looked at a Motegi inspired design. That said, it looks like your road course re-enters underneath the oval & the pit lane?

Anyway, I made some revisions my track, Compass Raceway. I changed the penultimate corner back to the way I originally intended.

Here are the specs:

Compass Raceway (long) - 3.9 miles - Clockwise
Compass Short - 3.2 miles

5074858505_0a50c830d0_b.jpg

I also made a new one. It's my first try at doing multiple variations.

Circuit de Mistral
-Clockwise
-South Loop is the main course with a front straight of .736 miles
-North Loop's straight is .703 miles & descends 50 feet after the kink.
-South Loop is flat, while the North Loop has a slightly higher elevation.
-Bottom carousel is banked.

Full GP course

5075546222_cb04778352_b.jpg

South Loop extension

5074946657_7be97f2f47_b.jpg

North & South Loops

5075544824_4b4cd15544_b.jpg

Granturismite,

I've been trying to make nice Roval for quite some time now & I've also looked at a Motegi inspired design. That said, it looks like your road course re-enters underneath the oval & the pit lane?

It does go under the oval/pitlane/paddock area. if i had time, i would make a more detailed map.

turn 3, is supposed to be downhill, and the straight between 6 and 7 is a valley, al la Monza, to allow the track to pass under the oval

mild elevation changes outside the oval to keep it interesting

coming back in to the oval complex also dips down for the bridge

Quick thoughts:

- I like that you cleaned up the orignal T4-T6.
- Not a bad effort using Paint. That said, the layout could use some more work...It is improved though.

Anyway, here's a new one I made today.

5079659745_890cb949e8_b.jpg

Last edited:
So I have been working on this for several days and it is not complete yet, but it's my first project using SketchUp. It runs counterclockwise and all the other details haven't quite been worked out yet. I'm trying to keep it moderately detailed for my first attempt, so I'm still putting in the grandstands and I'd like to put in some trees as well.

Just one question: what does everyone use to take screenshots of their models? I just used Command+Shift+4 that is built into Mac OS X but I'd like to be able to just get an isolated version of my track like you guys have.

Big thanks to arvin for sending me that SketchUp'd version of Green Forest, it was very helpful 👍

Glassjaw, good job so far! I was beginning to wonder when we were going to see a new one from you.

I like your 'Grundwald Circuit.' Looks like a real fast track depending on the final track length. Just clean up the final right-left complex before the front straight.

As far as the screenshot goes, I go to File, then Export, then Export 2D Graphic. Then I'll just upload the jpg...

Thanks, Circuit de Mistral may be my favorite out of all your tracks so far, reminds me of Spa which is always good. Those short circuits look like a lot of fun as well. I wouldn't change a thing.

As for Grunwald, the one issue I had was making sure the track was proportionately correct. That's why I accidentally made the pit lane (and the rest of the track, for that matter) quite narrow. I'll pay more attention to that in my next track...

Grunwald Circuit
3.3 Mi.
17 Corners
Counter-clockwise

So I have added little beyond my initial post, for two reasons. 1) I decided it was pointless to keep adding details in the interest of time, and 2) my computer couldn't render all the trees :dunce: So for the future i'll be toning it down a bit. But as a first project, I'm quite proud of it.

The fictional story I've come up with for this track is that it is part of the Sega Touring Car Championship, or STCC. In reality, Sega Touring Car Championship was an old arcade racing game, and Grunwald Circuit was the name of one of the tracks in it. That track looked completely different however, and is similar to the one I've created in name only. So consider this a tribute, I guess :dopey:

Congrats on finishing your 1st project! My god, you even put shadows on it!

Love the use of driver names for some of the turns...Mcrae to Williams looks to be a blast. Same goes from 12 through Senna to 16/17.

Your tracks seem to have a real old-school feel to them.

Anyway, here's a new one I started yesterday:

Measures 2.2 miles

5127170871_2257e54ed8_b.jpg

*I had to edit to lengthen the pitlane...

Last edited:
Hello dudes! Nice to see this thread, I didn't know about its existence. I have never created a track, but maybe I start to :P Hehe...

I was asking myself a question, maybe you know... Is there any difference between "bike circuits" and "car circuits"? Or why is a circuit better considered for bikes than for cars...? I ask this because I played once Mugello in FIA GT-R Game (which is considered a bike's track) and I LOVED IT. I LOVED the ammount of mid-speed 3th gear corners it had, and the fact you are always turning around the pit, which is in the centre. Here you have a plan :)

mugello.png

The difference is generally down to the proximity of the walls. You'll notice that cars run on street circuits, but bikes do not, the reason being that a rider is much more exposed than a driver. Bike accidents on street circuits would be incredibly dangerous.

Hi, I'm new here. Finally decided to register after seeing all the talk about new tracks. I'm kind of bummed that there isn't a full featured course editor in GT5. But in the mean time I'll post something that I made out of pure boredom.

So the recent release of the future USGP track in Austin has me completely excited, I think is beautiful. Some people don't like Tilke, and I don't blame them, but I think his tracks sure are fun to drive on. The new Austin track got me wanting to make something similar yet different. Until the day that this track is put in the game, I will keep thinking of other possibilities. So I made a track that has a lot of its elements. I tried to include a lot of sharp angles for overtaking.

I am no artist, but I do know a few things about radii, angles, and bézier curves. I wanted to use CAD for this but I don't know of a good free application, so I used the next best thing, GIMP. If anyone has any comments or wishes to improve it, say so. Some of the proportions do seem a bit off to me, which is why this is still a work in progress, but I feel its good enough to post here.

I call it the Istanaustiheim Triangle.

The difference is generally down to the proximity of the walls. You'll notice that cars run on street circuits, but bikes do not, the reason being that a rider is much more exposed than a driver. Bike accidents on street circuits would be incredibly dangerous.

Thanks, I understand that security question. So, there are no difference about corners which are more "car like" than "bike like" or viceversa?

Hi, I'm new here. Finally decided to register after seeing all the talk about new tracks. I'm kind of bummed that there isn't a full featured course editor in GT5. But in the mean time I'll post something that I made out of pure boredom.

So the recent release of the future USGP track in Austin has me completely excited, I think is beautiful. Some people don't like Tilke, and I don't blame them, but I think his tracks sure are fun to drive on. The new Austin track got me wanting to make something similar yet different. Until the day that this track is put in the game, I will keep thinking of other possibilities. So I made a track that has a lot of its elements. I tried to include a lot of sharp angles for overtaking.

I am no artist, but I do know a few things about radii, angles, and bézier curves. I wanted to use CAD for this but I don't know of a good free application, so I used the next best thing, GIMP. If anyone has any comments or wishes to improve it, say so. Some of the proportions do seem a bit off to me, which is why this is still a work in progress, but I feel its good enough to post here.

Wow, the Austin Circuit looks nice :)

Google Sketch Up is a good free CAD app to begin, it's the one this people are using.

SInce you guys ar eputting so much effort into these track designs, why not create them using Bob's Track Builder and then you can actually race on them with rFactor or GTR or Richard Burns Rally etc?

http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/

Back