Calling all track designers, show off your work!

• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 1,273 comments

glassjaw

Premium
United States
PA
pioneerspine
pioneerspine
I did a search and didn't find any thread on this, and I'm not sure if this is the right section for it or if anybody shares this hobby, but in my free time I design racetracks. I'll post mine here, but I was hoping everyone would share their creations too.

There are no rules, and you can use any medium you want - drawn on paper (my favorite), MS paint, design software, SketchUp, etc.

Tracks aren't just limited to road racing - design a street circuit or rallycross circuit/stage if you want!

Comments and criticisms are welcome!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my first track: Zanardi Circuit

For those of you who don't know, it's named after driver Alex Zanardi, who competed in Formula One, was a two-time CART champion and now currently races in WTCC. In 2001 during a CART race, while exiting the pits at Eurospeedway Lausitz his car was struck from the side by another car moving at race speed. Zanardi's car was split in half. He lost a massive amount of blood and, as a result, both his legs were amputated. He miraculously survived (no small thanks to the medical team) and races to this day in touring cars, driving for BMW Team Italy-Spain in a car with controls mounted on the steering wheel. His story is one of the most inspirational in sports.

Anyway, the track. It has 23 corners and runs counter clockwise, about 3.7 miles long. Up until after turn 5 the track is flat. Turns 6 and 7 and the short straight following are all uphill. 8-13 is a slower, technical section where the track flattens out, which steeply leads downhill to turn 14, a sharp left-hander. The track progresses uphill again towards a crest at turn 16. A sweeper follows, and turns 18 and 19 form a relaxed chicane that descends into the forest, the fastest section of the track. Turns 20, 21 and 22 are two flat, fast kinks split by a medium speed left-hander - races are won and lost here. Drivers will have to line themselves up perfectly through these corners for the last turn, the tightest on the track.

Green = trees
Brown = runoff
Double lines over track = spectator bridge
Gray structures = grandstands/pit complex

Last edited:
Nice track you have there mate! But unfortunately Zanardi has no longer racing in the WTCC. I think he's now in the Superstar V8 Series...

Anyway, here's my creation. Actually it was created 3 years ago and I still keep it as a revision if I want to desing another track... I give it a name ''Genting GP Circuit'' because Genting means crucial or tough something like that and this track is one of them. Plus, I got that name inspired from a tourism attraction location in Malaysia named Genting Highlands. Furthermore, the main characteristic of this track is its very windy and there are a lot of elevation changes as situated near a hill.

Race%20Track.jpg

Here's another one, designed using a SketchUp. This has been posted in a thread somewhere here I think that needs us to design a race track using this software. I have no idea what to call this circuit but I would love to show it to you guys once again.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Nice work there especially with the SketchUp model, very detailed. I think I like that version of the track more because it's a little faster and free flowing. Then again, I like the final corner on the first one, reminds me of the Hungaroring...

And yeah, I just realized there is another track designing thread, right on the first page! I'm sorry I didn't see that sooner. That's more of a competition with specific challenges though, so I'm hoping this thread stays around haha.

I seem to recall there being something like this somewhere on the forum ... but I haven't been able to find it. Thre's the old circuit design competition, but that's not really what you're aiming for here. Anyway, I do enjoy designing the odd circuit from time to time. I don't have much skill with Paint or Photoshop, though, so I'm usually demoted to using the Google Maps Pedometer.

Bernie Ecclestone's latest project seems to be getting a Russian Grand Prix up and running. To that extent, I've come up with this. The streets of Moscow lend themselves quite well to Grand Prix racing as they're nice and wide and can take a lot of punishment since the Soviets used to parade all those missile trucks on them. This circuit has two fast sections linked by a nice technical bit. The pit lane is an oddity for Formula 1 as the cars keep going at the first turn and loop around behind the buildings before rejoining.

I also created this, a new riff on Long Beach. I wanted to create something that had a certain rhythm to it whilst staying true to the back shape. The only turn I don't like is the ninety-degree right onto W Seaside Way.

But if ever there was a city that was designed by a racing driver, it's Stuttgart. There's plenty of awesome roads to be used, like this and this. Or maybe this. And another. See where I'm going with this? And there's more, too. And one for luck.

Thanks mate :)

I kind of have the same opinion of yours. I like the SketchUp model more than the first one but yet, I just love the 3rd sector of the Genting circuit.

Would love to see what other guys can do...

I seem to recall there being something like this somewhere on the forum ... but I haven't been able to find it.
Probably this one, but that was supposed to one guy's thread then everyone joined in. As this is for everyone to start with, we'll leave it here.

Interludes tracks are my favourite tracks so far. I especially like his moscow track. Here is my track. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3993177 It's in the village where I live. It's twisty, has lots of elevation changes and most importantly dangerous. I'm not sure about overtaking though. It has a harbour section and a forest section. Hope you like it.

@ Interludes

Moscow track is great, I wouldn't change a single thing on it. I especially like the high speed chicane and double-apex right before the 4 km marker, looks challenging. I feel like if this track existed in real life, a few chicanes would be added to slow down the cars but that would definitely get rid of the high-speed character of this track. You don't see many street circuits like this one today.

The Long Beach track is a nice departure from the classic layout. The sequence of corners up until the 2 mi marker is great, and it gets even closer to the water which should provide some nice views.

@ lukeconnelly

You have some great roads where you live. At least better than I do :lol: It actually reminds me of a purpose built track I made once. It does look quite dangerous and fast, so in that sense it is pretty old school, which I can appreciate. The first half of the track might be lacking a bit in overtaking opportunities, but I think the second half makes up for it.

@ lukeconnelly

You have some great roads where you live. At least better than I do :lol: It actually reminds me of a purpose built track I made once. It does look quite dangerous and fast, so in that sense it is pretty old school, which I can appreciate. The first half of the track might be lacking a bit in overtaking opportunities, but I think the second half makes up for it.

It would need widening though. It is so much fun to drive on. I think it's like El Capitan from gt4, and there is no way that that's a bad thing. :)

I feel like if this track existed in real life, a few chicanes would be added to slow down the cars but that would definitely get rid of the high-speed character of this track. You don't see many street circuits like this one today.
Chicanes? We don't need no stinkin' chicanes! This is the Russian Grand Prix; the circuit - and the race - is meant to be everything we associate with the Russians: big, hard and fast. It's meant to be demanding. You can't run the circuit past the old KGB headquarters at Lubyanka and then water it down with chicanes! The original concept for the circuit was actually much faster - that sharp left-hander before the two kilometre marker was actually at the junction before (Myasnitskaya ulitsa), so the whole run down to the Lubyanka (my favourite turn on the whole course) was flat out.

Anyway, this is another idea I had for the circuit. Again, there's no real space for pit lane, and it's in a residential area. Plus, it would need a bridge constructed just for the occasion. But I do like the shape. Not as much as the first one I posted, but I do like it.

With the success of Red Bull, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Austrian Grand Prix back on the calendar in the future. With the A1/Red Bull Ring closed down, Vienna could host it. I especially like the middle sector of this lap; in particular, the corner at the three-kilometre mark.

As we all know, Spain has two circuits that, when combined, form one barely-passable effort. They really need a new thing; so let's have it in Madrid. They'd probably want it in Oviedo, but that's not possible. This circuit is a little too long (but could easily be trimmed back) and would require the construction of a cross-over for the first sector, though.

Last year, there was talk of reviving the Argentine Grand Prix. The popular vote would be for a race at Potrero de los Funes, but the race would not happen without the government's backing and the circuit is in a seat held by the national opposition. Bernie Ecclestone was looking at Mar del Plata, scene of the first Argentine races. It might be built on a grid pattern, but if that road along the coast isn't perfect, then I don't know what is.

And finally, we need a French Grand Prix. Marseille might have a bad reputation - even for a French city - but I think we can overlook that when they could runthis circuit.

Okay, here we go. I couldn't decide which circuit in Moscow was better, so I put them together to get this: the Igor Nikolayevich Troubetzkoy Circuit, named for Russia first racing driver (Vitaly Petrov is their first Formula 1 driver, but Troubetzkoy was racing in the pre-war era). Or, in the native Russian, Игорь Николаевич Трубецкой Цепь. Just one quick note - this isn't intended to be a street circuit. I imagine it would be in the countryside somewhere; it's just based on streets in Moscow. You'll also have to forgive the way some of the text overlaps. Couldn't be helped, I'm afraid.

moscow1.jpg

As you can see, it's very long at almost seven kilometers (combined, the actual roads are closer to eleven). I tried to make a Russian version of Spa. Turns 1, 11 and 25 are the major overtaking opportunities; 11 and 25 in particular were deliberately designed to interrupt the rhythm of the circuit. The circuit has also been designed for maximum spectator coverage. There are several places where spectators will have plenty to see, particularly around Turns 5,9 and 14. In fact, the entire section from Turn 24 around to Turn 5 is in a natural bowl. Like Abu Dhabi, the pits dip under the racing circuit proper; this is because I had trouble placing the entry and exit safely. In fact, the pit exit may need to be retooled to rejoin after the second corner.

The basic design principle behind the circuit is linking two technical sections with two high-speed parts. The most difficult section of the circuit is probably the run from the second corner to Turn 10, as everything except Turn 5 can be taken flat out. Turns 18, 19 and 20 are also quite difficut; 18 and 19 form a high-speed chicane like Waite at Albert Park, whilst 19 and 20 are a triple-apex bend like the Nurburgring's Kallenhard where drivers are forced to miss te second apex to get a good run out of the corner. Turns 21 an 22 are also very demanding. In fact, there's no section of this circuit that I'm unhappy with, even the excruciating Turns 11 and 25. They're there for a reason: to bunch the cars up as they file through. Especially as the sections that immediately precede them are so demanding.

There are also three configurations to the circuit: the Grand Prix circuit, which you see here, as well as the National and International variants. The National circuit cuts through Turn 5, rejoining at 25, whilst the International circuit keeps going at 17 to link up with 21 before the cars negotiate a hairpin before 22 (roughly at where the divide between the two images is).

^ above: I always thought that the best street circuits are those that look like purpose-built racetracks or winding mountain roads from above. For example, if you took the Monaco track map out of the city and deep into the Alps, it would be just as at home there as it is in it's current location. At least that's my opinion.

Anyway, I think that the Troubetzkoy Circuit definitely fits that description. Obviously it's not intended to be a street circuit; but the fact that you designed it using actual roads is an even greater feat. When I design tracks, I need to do it all freely. I can occasionally come up with a good street circuit, but I'm not good at using what's given to me.

You mentioned how challenging T2-10 was and for that reason it's my favorite part of the track. T18-24 is another demanding section. This track really has everything, and again I have no complaints at all. Really well done 👍

On a side note, I'm posting via my phone because my computer is unable to connect to the internet (has been for two days :grumpy:) which means no uploading. Hopefully it will get fixed soon, cause I'm excited to see what you guys think of some of my other stuff.

Last edited:
My only issue with it is that I've cut out nearly half its length. Like I said, combined, those roads total eleven kilometers in real life. But here, I've officially shortened it to just under seven. So I don't really know how it would play out if it were actually built. I get the feeling it should be too fiddly.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4000858

This track is my masterpiece.

A guided lap:

We start off the lap with a short straight down to the 1st corner. It's like Eau Rouge but it is a blind corner. That is fearsome. It rises midway throught the corner an keeps on rising through the next 2 kinks and then gets to the end of the straightish piece of road. A sharp bend over 90 degrees and then the road drops down at least 200 metres through a few small kinks until an amazing corner just before the mile marker. It's narrow and blind and just about flat out. Next comes another high speed corner. It's quite a bit wider and pretty easier flat out. It comes on to the straight. At the end of the straight comes an overtaking oppertunity. Next comes a straight and a few easily flat out corners. They come out onto a very long straight. It ends up at a chicane which can be used to overtake. The rest of the lap is a slow corner and then some more kinks in the home straight. It's about 15 km from the town of Clonmel, Ireland. A place where I visit often and go up this road quite a bit.

Here's another one, designed using a SketchUp. This has been posted in a thread somewhere here I think that needs us to design a race track using this software. I have no idea what to call this circuit but I would love to show it to you guys once again.

Thanks for reminding me of that thread...It's been a while since I made one (I've been traveling). :)

Here's the link: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124656

EDIT - Ooops, I see Daan already linked it.

Probably this one, but that was supposed to one guy's thread then everyone joined in. As this is for everyone to start with, we'll leave it here.

I actually never cared that everyone joined in. I really liked seeing everyone's work, to be honest.

Ok another track from me. This is a really long track in the welsh city of Llandudno. Yet another track that I have visited. It starts on a mountain toll road, goes through a city and out towards the country-side and comes back towards the city and finishes just going into the montain for the end of the lap. I'm not going to take you on a guided lap like the last one because at 15.5 miles, it's half a mile shorter than the nurburgring. It's just plain good. I might make some shorter race tracks using this track, like a national course or something

Here it is
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4000934

Here is a shorter track
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4000964
and another one http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4000979

Last edited:
Just made a quick track so that I can re-learn how to use Sketch Up again.

4942074091_b8d9ba5cff_b.jpg

4942074681_c7625305bd_b.jpg

UPDATED VERSION - Revised a couple of turns on the original circuit, added a new section near the hairpin, added grandstands, more kitty litter & other buildings.

4943464255_6c519fa547_b.jpg

4944049914_046beda393_b.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the esses section in arvin charles track... It gets a bit tighter in the end that makes it a bit challenging I think 👍

Here's my version of GT's Tokyo R246, lengthened to 4.1 miles. The track and first corner begin the same way, but instead of going the long way around the carousel to the left, it cuts off toward the park section on the right. This section (my favorite from the original track) is unchanged, however now it goes forward past the right hander. What follows is a long, demanding high speed section up to the center of Ichigaya, where the circuit crosses over a small canal. This presents the best chance of gaining position on the entire circuit, save for the first corner. Past the three mile mark is a relaxed right and then a sharp left hander, another crucial overtaking opportunity. This is where the track rejoins GT's version - the final corner and run up to the start/finish is unchanged.

Last edited:
Nice track. I'm working on a better Opera Paris. I will have it up within an hour.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4003874

There it is. It starts on the long straight a couple of bends before the old start line.We then go on to the right angled bend from the old coarse but this time it's a lot trickier because of the long straight. The hairpin is next and then the first 2 coners from the old course. But this time we continue on to a slow technical section which bypasses the chicanes. We go into the old de opera section but this time it's just a double apex left turn. We go on to the old back straight. This time instead of the fast kink, we turn off to the another straight. A couple of right angled bends and some fast kinks on the curved straight and a sharp turn on to the long home straight to finish the lap.

Last edited:
Here's my next track, New Park.

- 21 corners
- Counterclockwise
- 3.3 Mi

The GP circuit uses the garages on the right side, while the national circuit uses a second set of garages on the other side of the track. Turn 1 is a downhill, medium speed left-hander. Following are a pair of chicanes that increase in speed and lead into an even faster kink. At the end of the kink, the track flattens out for a long pseudo-straightaway. Because of the drastic change in elevation from turn 6 on as well as the flat out nature of the sequence, drivers need to power through and hold their line firmly. Turn 7 is the best overtaking opportunity on the track, but an even greater challenge looms ahead at turns 9-11. I numbered this part as three separate turns rather than one because of the distinct apexes and the changing radius of the corner. In my opinion it's the most demanding part of the circuit. Turns 14 and 15 present more overtaking opportunities before another long straight. At turn 16, the track begins its uphill climb. The brave will try and pass at 17, while more cautious drivers will float back and wait till turn 18 to make their move. The final few corners are blind for the most part and run steeply uphill before meeting with the start/finish line.

The road that runs between turns 6 and 17 is used for the national circuit (to the left) and the shorter club circuit (to the right).

Here's a challenge, if you're up for one. Create a circuit that is:

a) anti-clockwise in direction
b) has more left-hand bends than right-hand corners
c) does not have a crossover a la Suzuka

What about istanbul?

Aaam... Eh? I thought you are supposed to design a new track that is anti-clockwise and has more left-hand corners instead of giving the name :P

Design one mate, and interludes, I'll take the challenge!

Yeah sorry it's taking so long, I'll definitely take up that challenge too. Should have a track up tomorrow. With school starting again and a bit of a family emergency type situation I haven't had much free time for things like track designing, which for me can be very time consuming.

Here's a challenge, if you're up for one. Create a circuit that is:

a) anti-clockwise in direction
b) has more left-hand bends than right-hand corners
c) does not have a crossover a la Suzuka

Every oval in existance. You didn't say it needed to have right-hand corners, and two left corners are more than zero right corners.
:P

Here's a new one I've been working on for some time now. I meant to post this a while ago, but I've kept on revising it.

It's called Vitesse Circuit because I think it may be the fastest track I've created so far.

It's meant to be anti-clockwise. The front straight is 1.42 miles long (2,290m).

4987054799_d8fafdebcd_b.jpg

4987657556_da0642a54d_b.jpg

I'd like to see what you guys come up with...

Last edited:
Here's a new one I've been working on for some time now. I meant to post this a while ago, but I've kept on revising it.

It's called Vitesse Circuit because I think it may be the fastest track I've created so far.

It's meant to be anti-clockwise. The front straight is 1.42 miles long (2,290m).

4987054799_d8fafdebcd_b.jpg

4987657556_da0642a54d_b.jpg

I'd like to see what you guys come up with...

Nice track reminds me of Interlargos, downscale it abit and it would be an amazing go kart track.

Back