Can I play GT1 on a PS3?

• Thread starter Member15
  • 78 comments
Member15
I've been enjoying GT5 Prologue, but am getting a little bored with it lately. I'm relatively new to console gaming, but first played GranTurismo 3 on a Playstation2.

I see that GT1 and GT2 are available on ebay, and I'd like to try them out. Will these games play on my PS2?

Thanks.

from my experience, yes, you can play playstation 1 games on a ps2

EDIT: but you cant use the PS2 memory card, from my experience, i think you need a PS1 memory card

Yes, but in order to save, you must use a PS1 memory card.

GT1's intro will blow you away, and the game is nothing short of being the best game of the GT franchise, and maybe of all time.

GT2 is great fun, quirky a bit, but fun. Lots of cars too.

You sure can pal, you can even play it on the PS3 (if you have the 60gb model).

GT1's intro will blow you away, and the game is nothing short of being the best game of the GT franchise, and maybe of all time.

Your not kidding there pal! I still get shivers when I see the screen shatter with the sound of the car revving off! Funny thing is, I remember watching that intro, and saying to myself, one day, Gran Turismo will be like this. Its safe to say that my expectations have well and truly been exceeded in that department. its just a shame that the online mode of GT5:P is a little lame! 👍

Thanks everyone, I just bought a "nearly new" GT1 game and a PS1 memory card on eBay. I look forward to getting playing this game and I'll be be checking back with you regarding my progress.

Thanks everyone, I just bought a "nearly new" GT1 game and a PS1 memory card on eBay. I look forward to getting playing this game and I'll be be checking back with you regarding my progress.

Congrats on your purchase, every GT-fanatic should own the original GT1 to really know what this is all about :D

regards

MadMax

It's absolutely worth trying! I also started off with GT3, and like many others, I wouldv'e missed out on one of the greatest GT games of all time. When I first got it and played it, I didn't care for it. I wasn't a GT maniac then. I just finished GT3 with 100% and decided to beat GT just so I could say I did- but wouldn't ya know!! I'm loving it! Just started about 4 days ago and I'm addicted! I have a lot of it done, and that's my only complaint is not many races- but I don't mind. Tons of cars- each with about another version or two. I feel bad for anybody missing out on it! I mean you do have to get used to it, but once you do you're in for a treat! This is the first time I have had blisters on both of my hands (from the d-pad on the left as opposed to the analog)! I hope this GT section can get going again- because I have to have people to share my enthusiasm with! -kevin

Just a warning though: GT1 is gonna seem very primitive after GT5. There's no in-console camera as you drive, for instance. The cars also don't drive anywhere near realistic (you'll see what I mean).

It's a fun game, tho. Definitely worth seeing where it all started. 👍 Also, money doesn't just roll in..you have to WORK till you start seeing it. Qualifying runs are REAL, not the pansy practice/qualifying runs in GT3 and GT4. For all these reasons, GT1 is somewhat tougher than other games.

OH and HACKr is aBsolutely right...GT1 has the best intro to this day (if you can get past the lo-res PS1 graphics). I personally like the intro music because it's a lot more unique than in later GTs. It sets the mood perfectly, gets me psyched to race. Also, the menu music is the BEST of any videogame. Not that cheezy jazz crap they put in later games. :grumpy:

Last edited:
ANY PS3. They all have the PS1 chipset.

I heard the cheaper 40GB model's hardware can't play PS1 games.

But yeah i got a good condition copy from Game Traders a couple of years ago. (I did have the game beofre that, but it wore and tore. :()

I heard the cheaper 40GB model's hardware can't play PS1 games.

But yeah i got a good condition copy from Game Traders a couple of years ago. (I did have the game beofre that, but it wore and tore. :()
Famine is correct. All models will play PS1 games. The only limits are on PS2 games.

Famine is correct. All models will play PS1 games. The only limits are on PS2 games.

Oh, i see. Thanks for correcting me. If i get a PS3 though i'll try and avoid one that's not backwards compatible. :sly:

Oh, i see. Thanks for correcting me. If i get a PS3 though i'll try and avoid one that's not backwards compatible. :sly:
Good luck. I think from these new models forward none of them have PS2 BC. At least in the US, the last model with Backwards Compatibility is the MGS4 bundle that came out in May/June.

It's a fun game, tho. Definately worth seeing where it all started. 👍 Also, money doesn't just roll in..you have to WORK till you start seeing it. Qualifying runs are REAL, not the pansy practice/qualifying runs in GT3 and GT4. For all these reasons, GT1 is somewhat tougher than other games.

Which makes for a better game or better game play. GT is the best that I've played so far and I own all upto GT5P, only cause I haven't got a PS3 yet.

OH and HACKr is aBsolutely right...GT1 has the best intro to this day (if you can get past the lo-res PS1 graphics).

On the PS2 you can change the graphics for PSX games. It uprates them a bit and you can also speed up the loading although I can't say I noticed a lot of difference. When you 1st turn the PS2 on, don't load the game but go into options or somthing and makes the changes, then open the draw and load the game. If you want more detailled steps I'll have to check 1st cause I'm doing this from memory.

Well, I'll put it like this: there are no easy cheats in GT1 for massive credits. There's no 2 lap race that pays multi-millions, for instance. The closest thing to a "cheat" is to buy a Viper and do the Normal races. This isn't exactly easy, though...you still have to know how to drive the Viper well, which takes skill, you have to finish 5 races (rather than one) and the payout is "only" $400,000 if I remember correct.

Yeah, there is a setting in the PS2 that make PS1 GT games look slightly less grainy...it's a "smooth texture" setting if I remember correct. It doesn't make things look any better, just makes them look slightly different. If you really want to make GT1 or 2 look less pixellated, buy an emulator. 💡

Last edited:
Well, i'll put it like this: there are no easy cheats in GT1 for massive credits. There's no 2 lap race that pays multi-millions, for instance. The closest thing to a "cheat" is to buy a Viper and do the Normal races. This isn't exactly easy, though...you still have to know how to drive the Viper well, which takes skill, you have to finish 5 races (rather than one) and the payout is "only" $400,000 if i remember correct.

Yeah, there is a setting in the PS2 that make PS1 GT games look slightly less grainy...it's a "smooth texture" setting if i remember correct. It doesn't make things look any better, just makes them look slightly different. If you really want to make GT1 or 2 look less pixellated, buy an emulator. 💡

actually, there is one place to get cash easy.. it's qualify run for some
of the special stage enduros if I remember correctly. 2nd best is the Turbo max speed festival or something like that.
Got over 35 million Cr in GT1 save atm.

actually, there is one place to get cash easy.. it's qualify run for some
of the special stage enduros if I remember correctly. 2nd best is the Turbo max speed festival or something like that.
Got over 35 million Cr in GT1 save atm.

Really? Didn't know about that one.

Yeah, qualify for the 1st Special Stage endurance and you get $20,000. And even if you don't do the race, you can still keep the money from the pole position you qualified on. Only 1 try, though, as the qualifying runs are 1 lap. The money you get from the actual race for the 1st Special Stage enduro is $150,000. -kevin

OH. Well, 20,000 cr. is not like the 250,000 cr you get for selling the prize car for doing the 4 laps at Costa di Amalfi in GT4. Or the multi amount of races in GT2 that are 3 to 5 laps apeice, yet pay $250,000 or more if you sell prizes. 💡 I was talking about hundreds of thousands rather than 20,000.

GT1 is miles better than the other games, it should be a proven fact.

If you want fun, you go for this. GT5P is so unbelieveably boring compared to GT1 is hard to tell they're from the same company. GT games have gotten progressively less exciting as time has gone on, without really making too much headway into the realism iMO, it's still nothing like driving a real car.

I love the graphics on GT1, they have a certain charm to them that GT5P doesn't have, and especially GT3 and 4.

The only thing is, you can't use a PS1 memory card in the PS3. At least, unless they've released a USB adapter for PS1/2 memory cards.

I tried GT in my 40GB PS3 the other night. I Managed to create a virtual memory card on the PS3, but had to use the buttons as the analogue sticks weren't working. It was only when I was finishing playing that I noticed a menu where I could switch on the analogue sticks. (I then remembered you had to switch them on in GT anyway...)

The only thing is, you can't use a PS1 memory card in the PS3. At least, unless they've released a USB adapter for PS1/2 memory cards.
1) You can create virtual cards for the PS1/PS2 on the hard drive.
2) If you have saves you want to transfer from a PS1/PS2 memory card they do sell an adaptor that allows you to copy the data over to the hard drive..

I tried GT in my 40GB PS3 the other night. I Managed to create a virtual memory card on the PS3, but had to use the buttons as the analogue sticks weren't working. It was only when I was finishing playing that I noticed a menu where I could switch on the analogue sticks. (I then remembered you had to switch them on in GT anyway...)
Yeah, I forgot that the original PS1 controller was not the Dual Shock too.

GT1 is miles better than the other games, it should be a proven fact.

If you want fun, you go for this. GT5P is so unbelieveably boring compared to GT1 is hard to tell they're from the same company. GT games have gotten progressively less exciting as time has gone on, without really making too much headway into the realism iMO, it's still nothing like driving a real car.

I love the graphics on GT1, they have a certain charm to them that GT5P doesn't have, and especially GT3 and 4.

Yes, GT1 IS the greatest game of the entire series. I'm also willing to say it's the greatest game of all time. I would like to believe, though, that GT in general, mostly the later games IMO, can give you at least a ROUGH feel of how a particular car drives on a particular course, though I've never pushed a vehicle in real life like in GT so I can't really say for sure.

Also, yes, they've got a USB memory card adaptor.

I disagree. GT1 is fun, and has some features deleted (oddly) from later games, but the cars themselves don't drive anywhere near realistic. Take a drive in any car that is featured in GT (Infini III, NSX, Camaro Z/28), and then compare the same car in a later game. GT generally allows way too much play within a car's limits. You can slide a car massively with just a touch of steering, but just as quickly get all your grip back. Lots of fun, but I prefer later games, where there is a more realistic feel.

It's a personal opinion of course, but I find later GT games just as exciting as the original, otherwise I wouldn't bother to play them. I do miss, however, real-time qualifying, detailed power & torque graphs, and the ability to race-mod any dealer-bought car.

Last edited:
I disagree. GT1 is fun, and has some features deleted (oddly) from later games, but the cars themselves don't drive anywhere near realistic. Take a drive in any car that is featured in GT (Infini III, NSX, Camaro Z/28), and then compare the same car in a later game. GT generally allows way too much play within a car's limits. YOu can slide a car massively with just a touch of steering, but just as quickly get all your grip back. Lots of fun, but i prefer later games, where there is a more realistic feel.
I was saying that the later games were the ones that gave you the better feel. GT1 really isn't realistic, though it WAS relatively realistic back in the day. As a GAME though, GT1 is IMO the best in the series.

I tried GT1 sometime ago... but I didn't like it because I used for years GT2 and I soon noticed there were less cars (a big difference) and there weren't many tracks as GT2.
Graphics are better in GT2, and the original isn't as realistic as the sequel... but a few things were better: it isn't as easy as gt2 and it has a spectacular arcade mode.
The Gt2 arcade disc just feels so sad, without any color and with these strange kind of screen in which you choose your car "A class, B class" and so. In GT1, when you pick your car, or simply the game mode, all is more colourful and the cars are sorted by manufacturer...
Gt3 was more difficult than GT2, but less than the original. And had great graphics too.
Gt4 has good level graphics and lots of cars, but "stupid" AI and it is so easy.
Also tried GT Concept, which brought arcade style gameplay to the GT series.
Never used GThd or Gt5 prologue.
In my experience
The Best: gt4
the most difficult: Gt1
The best looking: Gt3
However, my favourite: GT2

HACKr: yeah, man. I remember first time playing GT1...it did feel miles ahead of anything else at the time. Very true. + Of course, back in those days I could only compare GT to Ford Racing and a few quarter-arcade games. :lol:

Last edited:
HACKr: yeah, man. I remember first time playing GT1...it did feel miles ahead of anything else at the time. Very true. + Of course, back in those days i could only compare GT to Ford Racing and a few quarter-arcade games. :lol:

I used to play NFS 1 tons back before GT came (was my favorite game, but now the series is trash), When GT came I saw all and more of the cars I loved but No interior view, no point to point racing and the burnouts (I am a aussie after all :P ) were no where near as good. I generally I kepted away from GT until GT2, which had a crazy amount of cars I loved and NFS rapidly went down the drain.

I used to play NFS 1 tons back before GT came (was my favorite game, but now the series is trash), When GT came I saw all and more of the cars I loved but No interior view, no point to point racing and the burnouts (I am a aussie after all :P ) were no where near as good. I generally I kepted away from GT until GT2, which had a crazy amount of cars I loved and NFS rapidly went down the drain.

Aussies like burnouts? :) what is that like a popular thing down there or something?

Back