Can I play GT1 on a PS3?

• Thread starter Member15
  • 78 comments
Here's what I think. As a simulator, GT games have become better throughout the series, but in doing so, it has become more serious and less fun to the average gamer. So as a game (which is supposed to entertain you), GT have become worse throughout the series. Which may be the reason for non-serious players to label later GTs as boring while earlier GTs seem so much better. Of course, there's some people who are really into cars and driving and tuning, and they will find later GTs to be much much better than earlier ones (because of more realism, etc). I'm one of those hardcore gamers, and although I admit GT have been improving steadily over the years in many aspects, the most fun game would have to be GT1. You don't have to think so much about other things in GT1, you just drive and race. Unlike in later games where you have to think about setups, precise car control, etc.

1) You can create virtual cards for the PS1/PS2 on the hard drive.
2) If you have saves you want to transfer from a PS1/PS2 memory card they do sell an adaptor that allows you to copy the data over to the hard drive..

1) I know that, but he's already bought a memory card hasn't he?

and 2) Really? That could come in particularly handy for my GT2 save that I have, I'd love to be able to transfer that over to my PS3 HD. Could you link me to one?

and 2) Really? That could come in particularly handy for my GT2 save that I have, I'd love to be able to transfer that over to my PS3 HD. Could you link me to one?
I got mine at Best Buy. I think amazon has them as well. Or as Famine mentioned, Play.com. I don't really know what the retail choices for the UK are.

I started with GT2 years ago but I lost it now :( I played GT once and I just remember it feeling like a GT2 demo but I'd love to play it again.

I'd have a PS3 but it's stupid that you can;t play PS2 games on em.Only the discontinued 60GBs.

Aussies like burnouts? :) what is that like a popular thing down there or something?

Like hell. :) Wicked fun, get a VS Commodore, go out on a dirt road, (or on the main road, which some do :crazy:) put it in first gear, and burn the rubber (on a main road)

;)

I started with GT2 years ago but I lost it now :( I played GT once and I just remember it feeling like a GT2 demo but I'd love to play it again.

I'd have a PS3 but it's stupid that you can;t play PS2 games on em.Only the discontinued 60GBs.

Just keep your PS2s, i have mine next to the PS3 and their both plugged into the TV so i can switch with the flick of a button, its awesome playing two consoles at the same time while each one loads :D

Yes... I'm hopefully going to get a PS3 before the GT5 release (I'm going to work like a dog for it) and I think it'd be best to still keep my PS2.

As I always say, a game always plays best on the system it's designed for :)

I can't find one that recognises or works with a PS1 memory card.

If anyone could link me to the one they've bought, then I'd be more than grateful.

You can do this if you have a 60G or an 80G (my version) PS3 , the 40G is not backwards compatible.Take your PS1 and PS2 cards and you can upload them into your PS3 via the memory card adapter.

Then how come when my friend bought the 40G version and it would not play anything but PS3 games ? When he called Sony , they told him that in order to play a PS1 or PS2 game on a PS3 , that he needed to upgrade to a 60G or an 80G version. So when he took it back to Best Buy to exchange it,explaining the problem,the clerk told him the same thing Sony did,that it was not backwards compatible with PS1 or 2 games.

Makes no sense !!!

I don't know. I'm not the person in question, the employee on the phone nor the clerk at your local games outlet.

But the PS3 will play PS1 games. Any PS3.

Famine is correct. All models will play PS1 games. The only limits are on PS2 games.

Strange case indeed.He must have got a hold of some dumba** @ Sony who fed him this is all I can think of,as far as Best Buy clerks , we will leave that alone ( LOL ).But it is strange he could not get anything to work other than PS3. Who knows , I'm done , thanks for the tidbit though, appreciate it.

I thought the PS1 compatibility was all emulation. I know the PS3 and any modern PC has the grunt to do so. The PS2 EE+GS were removed to cut costs.

Yeah, PS1 compatibility is done through emulation. On some PS3s, PS2 compatibility was also done through emulation. (It's okay to talk about it when Sony's profiting from it I suppose.)

Yeah, PS1 compatibility is done through emulation. On some PS3s, PS2 compatibility was also done through emulation. (It's okay to talk about it when Sony's profiting from it I suppose.)
I'm not sure if PS1 games are emulated or not. All I know is they all work on all PS3s and can even be remote played with a PSP.

PS2 games were done through actual hardware on the first 60GB/20GB models in the US, but I believe Europe went straight for emulation.

I'm not sure if you can play PS1 games on PS3, but I'm pretty sure you can play PS2 games on the PS3, but my question is: How can you transfere memory card data to the PS3? I'm asking because my PS2 and GT4 don't work, so I'm going to buy a new GT4 disk and I don't know if I should buy only a PS3 or buy a PS2 and a PS3.. So I need to know how to load the memory card data on PS3 in order to play GT4 on it.

Thank you and best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you can play PS1 games on PS3, but I'm pretty sure you can play PS2 games on the PS3, but my question is: How can you transfere memory card data to the PS3? I'm asking because my PS2 and GT4 don't work, so I'm going to buy a new GT4 disk and I don't know if I should buy only a PS3 or buy a PS2 and a PS3.. So I need to know how to load the memory card data on PS3 in order to play GT4 on it.

Thank you and best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan :cheers:
All PS3s play PS1 games. They even have them available as downloads, or can be remote played, from the disc in the PS3 drive, on your PSP.

Newer model PS3s do not have PS2 compatibility any more. They removed it to save on costs. I believe that the last PS3s, at least here in the US, to have it were the MGS4 bundled 80GB models.

If you do get one they sell a memory card adaptor for your PS2/PS1 memory cards.

You CAN play PS1 games on the PS3. Whether PS2 games play or not on your PS3 depends on your model of the PS3. I think the European ones were missing the Emotion Engine, so PS2 compatibility wasn't as good as the ones with full EE and GS. Sony has a compatibility list on their website. Please double-check with it before buying another copy of GT4.

There's a one-time use adaptor from Sony that lets you transfer the contents of a memory card to the PS3's virtual memory cards.

I've assembled a list of posts from this thread which answer the question...

Famine is correct. All [PS3] models will play PS1 games. The only limits are on PS2 games.

1) You can create virtual cards for the PS1/PS2 on the hard drive.
2) If you have saves you want to transfer from a PS1/PS2 memory card they do sell an adaptor that allows you to copy the data over to the hard drive..

The one I bought from Play.com works perfectly with PS1 cards...

Though it's currently out of stock.

Done.

If you do get one they sell a memory card adaptor for your PS2/PS1 memory cards.

You CAN play PS1 games on the PS3. Whether PS2 games play or not on your PS3 depends on your model of the PS3. I think the European ones were missing the Emotion Engine, so PS2 compatibility wasn't as good as the ones with full EE and GS. Sony has a compatibility list on their website. Please double-check with it before buying another copy of GT4.

There's a one-time use adaptor from Sony that lets you transfer the contents of a memory card to the PS3's virtual memory cards.

Thank you very much FoolKiller and hamstrings, well, I thought of buying a PS3 80 GB in a bundle with GT4 or another game.. I think GT4 would work on this one.. And about the adaptor, it's no problem to get one I think.. 👍

Best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan

EDIT: And big thanks to you, Famine 👍 You're great, always having excellent answers, I like it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of buying a PS3 80 GB in a bundle with GT4 or another game.. I think GT4 would work on this one.
Don't get your hopes up with it. Since the 40GB model there has been no PS2 compatibility in the PAL area models that I know of and you live in that area so... be prepared to buy a PS2 too if you want to play GT4.

I don't think you can play PSX games on PS3's without some work. My 80GB PAL PS3 can't even play PS2 games, though I do happen to have a PS2, so I can play PSX games on there. So if you wanna play GT1 on PS3, you have 2 choices: get hints on how to make the PSX games work on the PS3, or stick with your older PS's and not play it on PS3 at all.

I don't think you can play PSX games on PS3's without some work.
Oh yes, you can. Quoting Famine twice from this very thread:

ANY PS3. They all have the PS1 chipset.

They don't all have the PS2 chipset or software, but they do all have the PS1 chipset.
Your PAL 80GB PS3 doesn't play PS2 games - correct, it shouldn't - but it plays PS1 games. Give it a try if you don't believe me.

Oh yes, you can. Quoting Famine twice from this very thread:

Your PAL 80GB PS3 doesn't play PS2 games - correct, it shouldn't - but it plays PS1 games. Give it a try if you don't believe me.

Well, maybe they didn't use to...

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=232

Can I play PlayStation® game console and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system format software titles on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system?
Answer ID:
Products:
PLAYSTATION 3

Updated:
12/23/2008 11:55 AM

Answer
The compatibility of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 format software titles for use on the PLAYSTATION 3 varies by model as follows:

PLAYSTATION 3 models This section below was in chart form but when I copy/pasted it it changed just that the top numbers in each section go togeather not too hard to figure out
Hard Drive Capacity
160GB
80GB
80GB
80GB
60GB
40GB
40GB
20GB
Model Number
CECHP01
CECHL01
CECHK01
CECHE01
CECHA01
CECHH01
CECHG01
CECHB01
USB Ports
Backward Compatible
No
No
No
Yes
Yes
No
No
Yes
Release Date
November 2008
November 2008
September 2008
August 2007
November 2006
March 2008
November 2007
November 2006
In Production
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
No
No
No
No​

Backward compatibility is dependent on the model number of the PLAYSTATION 3. Click here to find the PLAYSTATION 3 model number.

Location of Backward Compatibility notice on boxOn the back of the box under the features, it will state whether the PLAYSTATION 3 is backward compatible.
► Show Image
notice1.gif

notice2.gif

Model Compatibility Details► Show Details
  • Model# CECHP01 (160GB PLAYSTATION 3 system) (available November 2008)
    ► Show Details This model of the PLAYSTATION 3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with, and will not play, PlayStation 2 format software. Some PlayStation format software may play on this system.
  • Model# CECHL01 (80GB PLAYSTATION 3 System)
    ► Show Details This model of the PLAYSTATION 3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with, and will not play, PlayStation 2 format software. Some PlayStation format software may play on this system. (released November 2008)
  • Model# CECHK01 (80GB PLAYSTATION 3 System)
    ► Show Details This model of the PLAYSTATION 3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with, and will not play, PlayStation 2 format software. Some PlayStation format software may play on this system. (released September 2008)
  • Model# CECHH01 (40GB PLAYSTATION 3 System)
    ► Show Details This model of the PLAYSTATION 3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with, and will not play, PlayStation 2 format software. Some PlayStation format software may play on this system. (released March 2008)
  • Model# CECHH01MG (40GB Limited Edition Gunmetal Gray PLAYSTATION 3 system)
    ► Show Details This model of the PLAYSTATION 3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with, and will not play, PlayStation 2 format software. Some PlayStation format software may play on this system. (released June 2008)
  • Model# CECHG01 (40GB PLAYSTATION 3 System)
    ► Show Details This model of the PLAYSTATION 3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with, and will not play, PlayStation 2 format software. Some PlayStation format software may play on this system. (released November 2007)
  • Model# CECHE01 (80GB PLAYSTATION 3 System)
    ► Show Details This product has limited backward compatibility with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 format software. Many PlayStation 2 format software titles operate, but full compatibility is not guaranteed. Updating the system software may improve compatibility. (released August 2007)
  • Model# CECHA01 (60GB PLAYSTATION 3 System)
    ► Show Details Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system. (released November 2006)
  • Model# CECHB01 (20GB PLAYSTATION 3 System)
    ► Show Details Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system. (released November 2006)

Game Compatibility
Some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format software titles operate on some PLAYSTATION 3 models, but full compatibility is not guaranteed. The library of games in the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 software catalogs available in North America (including upcoming titles) are being verified for playability with several PLAYSTATION 3 models.

To determine whether a specific title is backward compatible click on the icon below.

Notes:
  • The status of titles may improve as we continually update the PLAYSTATION 3 operating system software, including individual game software updates, so be sure to visit this site often to check on the very latest PLAYSTATION 3 compatibility status for your catalog of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games.
  • Click here to learn about using PlayStation and PlayStation 2 peripherals and controllers on the PLAYSTATION 3.
  • To save game progress for PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software titles on the PLAYSTATION 3, Internal Memory Cards must first be created.
  • If a PLAYSTATION 3 is not backward compatible, you will not be able to add this function through any hardware (i.e., changing the hard disk drive) or software (i.e., updates, homebrew) upgrades or modifications.

Message Edited by opelgt1969 on 12-29-2008 06:03 PM
Message Edited by opelgt1969 on 12-29-2008 06:03 PM

Last edited:
Back