Can I play GT1 on a PS3?

• Thread starter Member15
  • 78 comments
Is there any chance that you could, perhaps, just lop out the relevant parts, rather than quoting everything and making bits red, and post a link to the source?

Though you are passing on no new information.

Don't get your hopes up with it. Since the 40GB model there has been no PS2 compatibility in the PAL area models that I know of and you live in that area so... be prepared to buy a PS2 too if you want to play GT4.

Well, then I'm going to buy a new PS2 and a new GT4 disk and later this year a PS3 in order to be able to play GT5:P and GT5 ;)

Best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan :cheers:

I was tidying out some boxes last night and found 2 copies of GT!! Loaded it up and started a new game but i can't get the analogue controles of the sixaxis to work.

Can GT be played with analogue controls with ps3 controllers??

I was tidying out some boxes last night and found 2 copies of GT!! Loaded it up and started a new game but i can't get the analogue controles of the sixaxis to work.

Can GT be played with analogue controls with ps3 controllers??
Yes, but you have to switch them on. There's a menu somewhere to enable you to do that. IIRC you get the menu by pressing the PS button.

Yes, but you have to switch them on. There's a menu somewhere to enable you to do that. IIRC you get the menu by pressing the PS button.

Cheers. I felt that the cars are much harder to control with d-pad than analogue. Will try that one tonight.

Another quick question. Do any wheels work on gt1 via ps3??

Got a G25 on order for gt5p and it would be cool if that would work on gt1. Not holding out much hope mind but you never know!!

I don't know, I didn't try my wheel, but I would assume that it wouldn't work.

Also, please don't double post. Use the edit button if you wish to add something.

I can confirm that the USB wheels don't work as there's no support for the entire USB in the old games. The only wheels you can use with PSX games are the old ones that were plugged into the controller port and then you have a problem trying to make them compatible with the PS3. I might even say it's not worth the hassle as those games weren't made with a wheel in mind.

Last edited:
I think that after GT5..Kazunori could make a new version of GT1 to the graphics and realism of PS3. The same original game with better graphics and driving realism imporved...

Nice idea. I've had the same thought. But it won't happen for various reasons.

Hey guys,
Whats is the definitive answer? Can you play gt1 on ps3?
I have a ps3 that is non backward compatible. Will i be able to play it?
I read a post that said all PS3 have the PS1 chip. Did that include newer ps3?

Thanks

Hey guys,
Whats is the definitive answer? Can you play gt1 on ps3?
I have a ps3 that is non backward compatible. Will i be able to play it?
I read a post that said all PS3 have the PS1 chip. Did that include newer ps3?

Thanks
Yes, all PS3s can play PS1 games, and you can even play them all via remote play if you have a PSP too.

TMM
On the PS2 you can change the graphics for PSX games. It uprates them a bit and you can also speed up the loading although I can't say I noticed a lot of difference. When you 1st turn the PS2 on, don't load the game but go into options or somthing and makes the changes, then open the draw and load the game. If you want more detailled steps I'll have to check 1st cause I'm doing this from memory.

l0l0l, I need more knowledge of that. Cuz from Standard, you can make it Fast and/or Smooth. They say avoid Fast cuz it'll wear out the disc quicker..but Smooth ALWAYS for PS1 on PS2. I guess..it always seemed more blocky and sluggish on Standard, I always put PS1 games on Smooth..my Resident Evils still crap out at time, I might wait there like 15 seconds to pick up a first aid spray l0l0l0l

To Patruck GT2 who says GT2 was better than GT1..

When I first got on GT2 I was SO disappointed. I couldn't believe the insult to their own franchise. Just look at the R34. It's like a mirror, the bodies look crap. The tires forget it, they're not even round. GT1 was so much faster and smoother..c'mon now

Last edited:
Partially due to this thread I bought a PS3 :lol: My PS2 seems to shake the screen randomly for no apparent reason which can be temporarily fixed by jiggling the cable :grumpy: Probably due to a loose connection somewhere. But yes my 80GB PS3 plays all the PSX games I've tried.

Personally I think the smoothing makes the game look really blotchy and blurry. So I prefer it old school pixelated style :P And yeah the cars in GT2 looked too shiny and the '3D' wheels looked rubbish even in '99/'00. The flat wheels of GT1 looked better.

Can you even tell the PS3 fast/smooth ?? PSX emulation in PS3 ?? l0l0l..I wonder if they'll still work anywhere else. A link to a fully backwarded compatible PS3 would be awesome ^_~

You can turn on smoothing in PSX games on the PS3 but theres no 'fast' option on mine at least. PSX games work fine on my PS3, I even bought Destruction Derby off the Playstation store :lol:

Thanks to FollKiller's advice, i got my copy of GT1. What a game. It brought back all those wonderful memories. I remember like yesterday when i bought my PS1, the big ugly one, and inserted GT1 on the drive. The presentation blew my mind once again. It was great... Until i played it. The game still is very nice, although it's kind of hard to play. I cant get used to the old phisics of the game. Im not nearly as good as i was. Maybe i need some more practice.
Music GREAT, Memories GREAT, Cars GREAT. Is just a shame (is not really a shame) that we have a master piece as GT5P (i know is flawed but is the best racing game out there) because it puts GT1 on the same category as Pong or Pac-Man. In the old games bin.

Thanks to FollKiller's advice, i got my copy of GT1. What a game. It brought back all those wonderful memories. I remember like yesterday when i bought my PS1, the big ugly one, and inserted GT1 on the drive. The presentation blew my mind once again. It was great... Until i played it. The game still is very nice, although it's kind of hard to play. I cant get used to the old phisics of the game. Im not nearly as good as i was. Maybe i need some more practice.
Music GREAT, Memories GREAT, Cars GREAT. Is just a shame (is not really a shame) that we have a master piece as GT5P (i know is flawed but is the best racing game out there) because it puts GT1 on the same category as Pong or Pac-Man. In the old games bin.

Old is good. I still play my intellivision.

Started playing GT1 again on my PS3, it's so fun. I love the way the cars handle. The AI seem to drive more recklessly too, the only downside is that the AI always have catch-up on so in a slightly faster car it's easy to pass them but then they are always just behind you which just isn't right. I love being able to race modify my favourite cars.

I was surprised how easy it is to make alot of money in this game - it doesn't take long before you can buy the best cars in the game. I really wish I could find my GT2 since it had so many more cars and tracks, it just seems like a better version of GT1.

Another bad thing in GT1 is not being able to turn off the music during races and have it on during the menus. It's either off or on! I love the music in the dealerships, it brings me alot of nostalgia but racing with music on just gets annoying and gives me a headache after a while. It's only a small thing GT1 is still better than GT3 (my least favourite GT game) and is up there with GT4.

GT1's intro will blow you away, and the game is nothing short of being the best game of the GT franchise, and maybe of all time.

I would say Need for speed Underground 1 has a better one. Underground is somewhat better than GT1. Graphics like GT5, except its always night.:indiff:

Back