Can't go back to GT6 after playing AC

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 316 comments
Wow, I am very impressed. I just heard about this game the other day on steam and saw that there was a discount and decided to get it. It's still an early beta, but I am very impressed with the game. The handling and physics of each car is so unique, and the sounds are just awesome! I was skeptical at first but it was money well spent and I'm very happy and look forward to seeing the game progress into something good. Glad to see that the PC world is finally seeing some great driving simulators. Makes me not even want to go back to GT6 having played AC!

Even though there's a limited amount of things you can do in AC, like hotlapping, it's extremely fun. I play this with a G27 and the immersion factor is downright awesome. Can't wait for all the updates.

I just had a bash on GT6 again today after not playing it for a while (mostly playing AC over christmas). Have to say that it takes some getting used to, I was instantly disapointed by GT6. I drove a Celica GT-Four rally car at a road track. Much like other racing cars there was just no feel in the wheel whatsoever, it was completely sterile feeling as if even with not much FFB strength it was clipping 90% of the time. I couldn't place the car very well and the braking was a bit unpredictable... Altogether it felt like garbage to me.

So then I jumped into the Ferrari F40, stock on sports soft tyres. The road cars as always have a lot more detail in their FFB and you can feel everything.. An opposite to AC as in AC the road cars generally feel more lifeless and the racing cars give a lot of feedback. The F40 in GT6 was not in any way like the AC car. In GT6 the car has massive turn in grip at the front so much that the rear wheels can't handle it and almost instantly start sliding so the balance of the car is very oversteer biased. Along with that the car is extremely sensitive to small wheel movements, as if the steering rack on the car is set up to be super sensitive with small movements, completely different to how the car is in AC (the real car I believe has a 1080degrees lock to lock, so being so sensitive doesn't fit the profile).

Taking the car at Bathurst it was difficult to get it down the backstraight near the end of the lap and not spin off, as only tiny movements make the car move and the rear soon wants to slide when the fronts bite so aggressively, following that I sometimes overcorrected with only a tiny movement and it span off. I'm pretty sure I could adjust my driving to the car and improve it with setup but it felt completely wrong to me, with the front end having so much initial grip when you turn in it's almost like the rear tyres never get a chance.

I then thought... I don't remember GT6 being this bad/funky. Jumped into the 91 Acura NSX that I'd driven a lot (won over 30 races using it) and then took that to Bathurst. This car was just as awesome as I remember it, well balanced and agile with no unpredictable behaviour, I was able to really attack the course and could feel everything through the wheel.

Safe to say that GT6 can be a bit "funky" with certain cars and situations. For me it does well at a certain few select road cars and pretty much everything else "meh" take it as it comes. When I've been playing so much AC lately it really is hard to adjust and find enjoyment in GT6 at the moment, I probably need to take a break from sim racing for a week or so that my senses/expectations have a bit of a reset before I have a serious bash at playing GT6 again.

Very difficult to go back to console when you have had to opportunity to play any decent PC SIM, the FFB and Physic alone is in a different league, access to really interesting content, tracks, leagues etc… is also a good reason.
The investment is also different, a decent wheel and a performing PC, will necessitate some commitment.
GT6 is most likely where it is at in state of the art for console, and can be very acceptable as a SIM alternative, but it is not close to AC in any aspect, so before trying it, any GT gamer need to think, because going back to burger after testing prime rib might have a sour taste.

My friend, you have been PC Sim'd. When I went to iRacing it utterly destroyed GT5 for me 2 years ago. Now, almost a month after its release I still haven't purchased GT6 (I will... eventually). Congratulations on the best decision you've ever made. 👍

My friend, you have been PC Sim'd. When I went to iRacing it utterly destroyed GT5 for me 2 years ago. Now, almost a month after its release I still haven't purchased GT6 (I will... eventually). Congratulations on the best decision you've ever made. 👍

I started with PC sim racing. I did everything there was to do, including iRacing, before I ever touched GT5 online.

For some people it's more about the community than the driving, or multiplayer depth. Myself, I could never really get into the iRacing community for whatever reason, I never really set out to try and be the best, or super fast, I just wanted a good group of people to hang out and race with and I found that more easily on GT5 than I ever could on iRacing. It's whatever drives you to do online racing that'll really lead you onto different titles. No one title can cover all the bases, so you stick with what you like for whatever reason you like it for.

I'm more into AC because of how great the driving felt in FVA and nK, but I won't stick around for it. I get bored after a while of hot lapping, I need competition. I grew into that while playing GT5.

But I stuck to GT5 because I ended up becoming friends with a bunch of quick dudes that I liked learning from, it was a great experience - that and GTA. When I grew into this competitive mindset, I was too hungry to stay on GT5, so I tried iRacing again, but I was put off by the community again, and investment of time. So I decided to stick to GT5 until I found something worthwhile on PC again, that I knew would have a big multiplayer community, and that's AC. No guaranteeing how "good" the community will be for me, but I have a lot of my friends from GT5 going over, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Even though there's a limited amount of things you can do in AC, like hotlapping, it's extremely fun. I play this with a G27 and the immersion factor is downright awesome. Can't wait for all the updates.

Playing with an old Logitech Momo and having a ball. If you haven't tried it, the special event with the Lotus 49 on Monza 1966 is *fabulous* - the most immersive game experience I think I've ever had. (But then the age of the car, with limited grip and easy brake lockup, probably increases your interaction.

Anyhow, so far AC looks incredibly promising.

I started with PC sim racing. I did everything there was to do, including iRacing, before I ever touched GT5 online.

For some people it's more about the community than the driving, or multiplayer depth. Myself, I could never really get into the iRacing community for whatever reason, I never really set out to try and be the best, or super fast, I just wanted a good group of people to hang out and race with and I found that more easily on GT5 than I ever could on iRacing. It's whatever drives you to do online racing that'll really lead you onto different titles. No one title can cover all the bases, so you stick with what you like for whatever reason you like it for.

I'm more into AC because of how great the driving felt in FVA and nK, but I won't stick around for it. I get bored after a while of hot lapping, I need competition. I grew into that while playing GT5.

But I stuck to GT5 because I ended up becoming friends with a bunch of quick dudes that I liked learning from, it was a great experience - that and GTA. When I grew into this competitive mindset, I was too hungry to stay on GT5, so I tried iRacing again, but I was put off by the community again, and investment of time. So I decided to stick to GT5 until I found something worthwhile on PC again, that I knew would have a big multiplayer community, and that's AC. No guaranteeing how "good" the community will be for me, but I have a lot of my friends from GT5 going over, so I don't think it'll be a problem.
Wow, that seems strange. I never found any community as incredibly competitive as the one on iRacing, so leaving iRacing for GT5 for more competition does seem odd. The community is fast, consistent and (Generally) clean once you reach the higher splits. What series were you competing in? I hear Oval people can get to be really nasty even in the higher splits, so if you were racing ovals that'd explain it, but if you were in road maybe you picked a bad series. I haven't had bad experiences personally, but it does vary by series. If you decide to give iRacing another shot I can't stress this enough, try the Skippy! Incredibly popular and can give you some incredible racing, even on a school car. 👍

The part about comradery and making friends being better on GT5 I can understand, I guess. The environment is just different on PC sims and doesn't feel as cozy as with GT5 if that's what you're after.

Wow, that seems strange. I never found any community as incredibly competitive as the one on iRacing, so leaving iRacing for GT5 for more competition does seem odd. The community is fast, consistent and (Generally) clean once you reach the higher splits. What series were you competing in? I hear Oval people can get to be really nasty even in the higher splits, so if you were racing ovals that'd explain it, but if you were in road maybe you picked a bad series. I haven't had bad experiences personally, but it does vary by series. If you decide to give iRacing another shot I can't stress this enough, try the Skippy! Incredibly popular and can give you some incredible racing, even on a school car. 👍

The part about comradery and making friends being better on GT5 I can understand, I guess. The environment is just different on PC sims and doesn't feel as cozy as with GT5 if that's what you're after.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, I definitely always respected how competitive iRacing was, that's why I tried leaving GT5 for it, once I really started liking competition and pushing myself. I raced Skippies, it was a lot of fun, for sure, but I could never connect with anyone, that was the problem. After that, it was a series of disappointments that threw me off iRacing. I tried running an MX-5 league, never took off, tried joining a Star Mazda league, it fell apart. The forums were caustic and just despondent.

I first signed up for iRacing in 2009, then came back in the Summer of 2010 to get into driving online before GT5 came out (got my first wheel then, G27). It was really fun for pick up races, and a lot cleaner even in the lower splits, than it is now in the same splits. But I just couldn't keep going on my own, I need like-minded people to gel with, could never find it there. Just my persona, I'm not one to just lonewolf it, gets dry fast.

And I never said I left iRacing for more competition on GT5. I said I wasn't into being competitive when I started GT5, but racing online there did get me into it. Then, I felt GT5 didn't have enough competition, so I tried leaving for iRacing, but was put off through a series of bad luck, then came back to GT5 where I decided to create the good competition myself and started running leagues.

That's pretty much it, but it's looking to change with AC. I'm convinced AC will become the new competitive standard if Kunos play their cards right on the multi-player front and we get some incredible modders that decide to work on a custom service (since AC's so open ended).

That's pretty much it, but it's looking to change with AC. I'm convinced AC will become the new competitive standard if Kunos play their cards right on the multi-player front and we get some incredible modders that decide to work on a custom service (since AC's so open ended).

I agree. The fact that AC will use steamworks, and Steam's community, profiles, friend lists and whatnot is a big part of what draws me (and you, since we come from console background) to it. I'm also confident that it will be better in this regard.

If you ever decide to come back to iRacing let me know and we'll turn a few laps.

I agree. The fact that AC will use steamworks, and Steam's community, profiles, friend lists and whatnot is a big part of what draws me (and you, since we come from console background) to it. I'm also confident that it will be better in this regard.

If you ever decide to come back to iRacing let me know and we'll turn a few laps.

I will, I do periodically to try out interesting new content. Came back most recently for Mount Panorama, the Ruf, and Montreal.

Choice of racing game/sim is all about what you happen to be after. I find myself becoming more varied in my taste as the years go by. At one point I was heavily into PC sims and was racing Race07/GTR2/rFactor/iRacing, but then I started wanting to actually enjoy road cars so I had little choice but to add consoles, so I bought PS3/XBox360 for Forza/Gran Turismo. Each game/sim has their own focus and it's really not that difficult to switch around between them. It's fun to mix things up and try everything out there: In the last week I've raced GT6, AC, pCARS, DiRT 3 and GRiD 2 :)

What you enjoy depends greatly on how much time you have to regularly participate in races. iRacing requires quite a significant investment of time if you want to do it seriously. In comparison, if you just want to race Rivals in Forza you can do that easily in a couple of hours per week and still put in competitive performances.

As for AC ruining GT6: Nope. GT6 has such an awesome car and track selection that it will always have a place. In fact, GT6's "good" cars offer very decent physics and FFB which isn't that far behind AC (I'm talking mostly the sports and supercars, race cars are a bit lifeless in GT6).

One other thing: I'm speaking as a T500RS user, but I get the impression that many other wheels offer mostly centering forces inside GT6 and are not showing the true capabilities of the FFB engine. This could influence comments on the relative FFB quality.

One other thing: I'm speaking as a T500RS user, but I get the impression that many other wheels offer mostly centering forces inside GT6 and are not showing the true capabilities of the FFB engine. This could influence comments on the relative FFB quality.

You bring a very good point here, the wheel someone is using will communicate the sometime subtle cues that different SIM have to offer at different levels and from that the experience and differences will vary wildly.
All FFB feel more or less the same when saturating.
From my CSR Elite point of view the FFB gap between Gran Turismo and AC is huge.

I started sim racing with Sir Geoff Crammond (GRAND PRIX) and then race 07 etc. I bought the ps3/gt5 for the academy. Be fair to Pd gt6 is a massive improvment cockpit views no abs have made it much more like a race 07 assetto type game than gt5

However the time trails are like playing daytona usa with sfr on but without the sound track !!!

hold the brakes till the apex release to turn :banghead:

AC has great physics, excellent FFB. Every car feels, drives and sounds unique. And it looks good as well.

Right now it's still in early access "beta" which means currently we have access to around 2/3 of the cars and tracks which will be in the final release (which is due to have around 11 tracks and 35 cars iirc). And right now AI and multiplayer are not yet active so you can only hotlap or do some time attack or drifting.

We're all hoping that the next bi-weekly Friday update will bring some form of AI, but Kunos will give it to us when it's ready.

I would love to be able to play PC racing games, but the way I have everything set up at my house it's just very inconvenient. I would have to move my computer over to my rig, which makes it a total pain in the ass when trying to use the computer for anything other than playing a racing game. I've tried it for lulz, but it's not a setup I would want to have permanently.

You missed my point, I meant moving your rig to where your PC is so as to make your PC your permanent sim racing platform. GT is great for starting out, but sooner or later you'll want more.

The problem is that I use my PC mostly for other things, and it's a pain to have the wheel mounted in front of me. Either that or mount and unmount the wheel all the time, which is also a giant hassle. Also my rig is on the large side, and I would need to disassemble it to fit it through the door, and it also won't fit where my computer is. If I wanted to make my computer a permanent sim racing platform, it would still be a lot easier to move it to where my rig is.

You missed my point, I meant moving your rig to where your PC is so as to make your PC your permanent sim racing platform. GT is great for starting out, but sooner or later you'll want more.
I wont ever want more. Other sims are just too boring.

I am now a convert. Pc sims for me. Ac visually is just tremendous. I cant see me going back to console anytime in the near future. And at least the sims allow for modding. So the content will just keep changing and growing.

I think if I really want to go to PC sim racing, I'd have to get another computer. That's really the only way I can see it working out for me.

Being so close to the border, would it be worth your while to nip down to Oregon and buy pc parts there? No sales tax.

True. But sales tax in WA. I used to live in Burnaby, but unfortunately I drive a big rig so distance isn't a problem for me.
Hope you get sorted.

Back