Can't go back to GT6 after playing AC

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 316 comments
Finally upgraded my worn out 8 year old gaming PC (went from conroe to devil's canyon) and got a few laps in AC last night... Brilliant driving model, the 1st person realism and immersion is incredible (and I didn't even put it on 3 screen surround view for my quick spin). Simbin did wonderful things with that tired ISI engine that's been kicked around the PC sim world for decades, but big respect to Kunos for this ground up model.

GT still is the king of replays though... at least the Z4 I took out for my quick Monza shakedown looked really goofy on replay.

I still talk and race with a few guys over on the GT6 and they fight me. They don't want to upgrade their systems, PS4 and GT7 are supposed to be dreamy, blah, blah, blah... I just tell them, "You'll be joining me. You just don't know it yet." As many of you have said, sim racing is still so early in it's dev cycle, some console games may seemingly beat it now, but as the games and the communities grow, there will be no other way if you are serious about it. One of my favorite and best cars is a mod. Reiter's Engineering Camaro GT3? And the sound? OMG! I haven't played GT6 since I DL'd and drove that car at Silverstone.

Many more will be joining us! They just don't know it yet. :cheers:

GT still is the king of replays though... at least the Z4 I took out for my quick Monza shakedown looked really goofy on replay.

You have a point on that. GT replays have always been very well done. But in AC I have even noticed that the replay will sometime skip something. I rolled my C6R the other day, and the replay didn't even capture it. It changed camera views and edited that scene out, I suppose. ??? So AC still has a little work with that apparently.

I still talk and race with a few guys over on the GT6 and they fight me. They don't want to upgrade their systems, PS4 and GT7 are supposed to be dreamy, blah, blah, blah... I just tell them, "You'll be joining me. You just don't know it yet." As many of you have said, sim racing is still so early in it's dev cycle, some console games may seemingly beat it now, but as the games and the communities grow, there will be no other way if you are serious about it. One of my favorite and best cars is a mod. Reiter's Engineering Camaro GT3? And the sound? OMG! I haven't played GT6 since I DL'd and drove that car at Silverstone.

Many more will be joining us! They just don't know it yet. :cheers:
It's hard to make the switch because it's hard to give up what you know and love in spite of it's flaws, simply on the promise of something better. It's always more comfortable to stick with what you know, it's less risky. The best way to convince people is to find a way to get them to try it because it's really difficult to simply imagine a gaming experience being better, you have to actually feel it, here it and see it. Let's face it, watching a replay on Youtube doesn't do justice to the driving experience and a GT replay can look just as realistic as any other.

I was basically tired of GT after the disappointing GT6 release and lucked into a low end PC and plugged in my wheel and tried AC for the first time in the summer and that's when I knew I'd be moving to PC racing for AC, PCars etc. Maybe this is exaggerating slightly, but the difference between PC and GT6 is as big to me as the difference is between GT6 and DriveClub or some other arcade racer. In AC everything just comes together, from the visual to the sound to the physics and ultimately the FFB. It all works together to be completely immersive with the right setup in a way you just can't get with GT with any car.

Finally upgraded my worn out 8 year old gaming PC (went from conroe to devil's canyon) and got a few laps in AC last night... Brilliant driving model, the 1st person realism and immersion is incredible (and I didn't even put it on 3 screen surround view for my quick spin). Simbin did wonderful things with that tired ISI engine that's been kicked around the PC sim world for decades, but big respect to Kunos for this ground up model.

Welcome to the darkside.:sly:

Welcome to the darkside.:sly:

You mean welcome back. I've been pretty PC sim biased since the 90's (GP Legends forever!)... Though there was a long gap between GTR2/RACE07 and AC + pCars where there was nothing that tickled my fancy (sorry iRacing). Plus the draw of GT-Academy was a pretty compelling reason to get GT5. ;)

I'm sure I'll still dabble with GT6, but the bulk of my driving for 2015 will most likely be in AC. It can only get more polished from here.

You have a point on that. GT replays have always been very well done. But in AC I have even noticed that the replay will sometime skip something. I rolled my C6R the other day, and the replay didn't even capture it. It changed camera views and edited that scene out, I suppose. ??? So AC still has a little work with that apparently.

:lol:

I was mainly referring to the way the car wobbles around and just generally doesn't "look right". The screenshots on the net always look good but in motion there was something just goofy about the replay. The driving dynamic and 1st person look-and-feel is top class though so 3rd person prettiness can come later. They've got their priorities in the right place.

It's hard to make the switch because it's hard to give up what you know and love in spite of it's flaws

This.

In AC everything just comes together, from the visual to the sound to the physics and ultimately the FFB. It all works together to be completely immersive with the right setup in a way you just can't get with GT with any car.

This.

Instead of throwing money at a ps4 and thrustmaster t300. Massively impressed With AC. Always been a bit of a GT fanboy but since AC i can only see the negatives in GT6. AC is better in every way, especially the handling and sound.

And especially that.:lol:

You mean welcome back. I've been pretty PC sim biased since the 90's (GP Legends forever!)... Though there was a long gap between GTR2/RACE07 and AC + pCars where there was nothing that tickled my fancy (sorry iRacing). Plus the draw of GT-Academy was a pretty compelling reason to get GT5. ;)

I'm sure I'll still dabble with GT6, but the bulk of my driving for 2015 will most likely be in AC. It can only get more polished from here.

:lol:

I was mainly referring to the way the car wobbles around and just generally doesn't "look right". The screenshots on the net always look good but in motion there was something just goofy about the replay. The driving dynamic and 1st person look-and-feel is top class though so 3rd person prettiness can come later. They've got their priorities in the right place.

Same reason why Forza replays are also not quite up to par: its the data capture. Cars look brilliant on track.. but then you see the replays, and they just don't look as convincing. The drop to 30 fps doesn't help either.

I don't know what the resolution will be in GT7 on the PS4 but it will not be beyond 1080p @ 60 Hz.

Having recently upgraded to a 28" 4K monitor running 60 Hz I can tell you it would be very difficult to go to a system running ¼th the resolution of AC. (My PC is an i7 4829 (3.7Mh), 16 gB RAM and a eVGA 780sc.)

The shear technical capability of PC's with high end processors, unlimited RAM and highly developed GPU's guarantee superior hardware performance. The challenge is finding the software developers who can bring it together in what is a pretty niche market. AC is dong a pretty amazing job of doing just that.

Now my post won't be funny.
20.gif

You are right about that. I mean, I will take the gameplay over the replays every time! :P But the screens do come out pretty good, and a lot of people do a little work with them afterward to make them really nice. All of that will catch up with us in time. Right now, I am working harder on learning how to make my own skins. That keeps me busy enough.

Back