Can't go back to GT6 after playing AC

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 316 comments
... while AC will be a hardcore Simulation, which is just "too much" for the majority of players.

I'd argue that AC isn't a "hardcore" simulation at all. Everybody should be able to understand it and keep the car on the track as easily as GT/Forza, they just won't be very quick compared to the really fast guys.

AC intends to cater to a wide audience, which means that the career mode, driver aids and variable difficulty AI are all going to be present by v1.0 release. With the current buzz around the game, it's clear that many console gamers are looking at it as being different from the usual PC sim in that you can pick it up and play without "learning the simulator/car".

Oh, and since v0.5 I'm finding it harder to want to play anything except AC. I just keep wanting to try a different car+track combo, there's always something new to discover, and the hours fly by.

And it's so enjoyable to let the tail hang out in any of the road cars. It just feels so natural, while achieving the same in GT6 requires some element of "fighting" the physics engine... :)

Last edited:
Just got done with a quick session of Assetto Corsa and I'm about to fire up Gran Turismo 6 to run some laps there. I feel sorry for the guys who can't appreciate the different experiences each game can offer.

Just got done with a quick session of Assetto Corsa and I'm about to fire up Gran Turismo 6 to run some laps there. I feel sorry for the guys who can't appreciate the different experiences each game can offer.

Agreed!

There is always room for other driving game like GT6. The car count alone will make rfactor mod cry. even though the physics is not the best, you can still get a chance to driving rare cars that it will be next to impossible to mod in other sim, also we should not forget, IMO the best nurburgring in any driving game our there (maybe it'll be different when AC nurburgring comes).

I'm happy playing AC while waiting for PD to finish GT6. While AC is better in every way on these tracks with these cars GT6 has the advantage of tons of cars and a great Nurbring.

I'm happy playing AC while waiting for PD to finish GT6. While AC is better in every way on these tracks with these cars GT6 has the advantage of tons of cars and a great Nurbring.

Isn't finished GT6? Or do you mean you are happy playing GT6 while waiting Kunos to finish AC...

Let's face it, neither is really 'finished'. Although, sometimes it's hard to tell which is really further along in development. :lol:

I got AC and it's really great. Adjustable fov, customizable hud and all that. FFB feels great after some testing and tweaking. To be honest, GT6 FFB is not that bad compared to AC. People say AC is like from another planet but I don't think so at all, GT6 manages pretty damn well. I can feel the weight better in AC I think. My wheel is Thrustmaster T500RS, maybe the difference is more pronounced with some other wheels.
I'm really excited about AC and the new content Kunos will add in the future.
BTW, some guy is making Trial Mountain for AC, there's a thread in AC forums about it. How cool is that!

As I'd done quite a lot hotlaps at AC 0.53,I swap back to iRacing and gt6 for no reasons.It's not hardcore at all,easy to gain grip,poor weight transfer,too agressive suspension behavior and lifelesss ffb detail of road car.
g27 is badly supported at gt5 or 6,which provide numbless ffb information and power.But once u use the right wheel like dfgt or even t500,the handling would be damn well,get closed to iRacing,natrual and impressive handle physic.

I've played quite a bit of AC, and like all other PC racing sims, they seem to have a certain "feel" to them. The physics might technically be a lot more realistic than GT, but I find no PC game nomatter how much you turn the graphics up look as good. They are of course a lot sharper and more detailed but the way the cars look and move is like a static "PC ish" look where everything looks fake and weightless.

I know it's obviously possible to have much better graphics on the PC but I guess where a companty like PD spends so much time and optimizing just for the PS3 hardware they get all the lighting etc so real. This really takes the feel away from sims like AC, I'm playing @ 2048 x 1536 on a good CRT and compared to GT on an LED TV it looks nowhere near as real.

Also while PC sims can have realistic tyre / suspension etc physics, I find all the sims I've played I get no real sense of weight, something GT does really really well, on PC sim regardless of FFB it feels a lot more floaty and unrealistic in some ways.

Another thing is the sounds, while sounds in AC at first sound better than GT, the sounds in AC sound very recorded and cheap to me, like there's not enough range, and digitalized, especially on things like lifting off accelerator and going back on. So I find the sounds on GT to be more satisfying and refined, even if they do sound stupid and similar to each other.

I wish GT stayed with it's hardcore roots as it would be a better game than it is now. I remember GT1 being released, reading playstation magazines at the time being so excited, the game was well known for things like the AI not using rubber band catch up, good physics and graphics etc, nowadays it's pretty bland. I used to play GT around 8 hours a day on school days when i was a kid I was addicted :)

I skipped GT5 and played Forza 1 then 2, didn't like either as much at first as GT, then they (especially 2) grew on me and I much prefered Forza for racing pleasure more than anything, it had amazing online, decent physics, decent PP system, livery editor, car swaps, engine and other nice upgrades, hotlap leaderboards etc etc then I sold the 360 and played PC games, until couple of months ago when I got a free PS3 and bought GT6.

The thing I like about these games (GT, Forza) is the actual pleasure of the game, I love super realism, but you have to think about why you play games. What made GT famous was its sheer number of cars and a very good selection of tracks. It's quite depressing jumping on AC and seeing only a handful of random cars, I know there can be endless mods but they are usually worlds apart in terms of quality. On GT it creates excitement saving up and choosing a car to buy, waiting to test it out and tune it, buy parts, paint it etc hardly anyones 2 cars are the same online.

For people who like GT and Forza there really aren't any other games like them, nearly all the other games are just GT3 / race cars and to me that's pretty boring. I just never got the same feel playing PC sims as I do playing console racers, and going back to GT6 after playing AC is like going home :)

Also while PC sims can have realistic tyre / suspension etc physics, I find all the sims I've played I get no real sense of weight, something GT does really really well, on PC sim regardless of FFB it feels a lot more floaty and unrealistic in some ways.

You're saying the GT6's sense of weight is better than AC's? Depending on how you're set up, perhaps it is in terms of the FFB you're feeling, but GT6 is still very, very insensitive to weight transfer compared to AC. In most cars in GT6 you can more or less do what you like mid-corner with the accelerator as long as you don't light up the driven wheels. In AC shifting the weight alters which wheels are gripping and how much significantly.

Why the better support for FFB for T500RS in gt6? It costs twice as much as g27 and 4 times as much as the DFGT of which I replaced with the g27 because it broke.

Edit: should have asked that on the gt6 forums.

To say that GT6 is optimized is a joke. The game looks pretty, but I prefer the smooth visuals in AC. My only gripe with AC is that it takes a little bit more to setup which is more an issue on my part. I think both GT6 and AC are great games.

Though what is so wrong about so called "hardcore" sims? Anybody can still drive them if they are realistic. Maybe not as fast as a racing pro but certainly enough to enjoy it.

To say that GT6 is optimized is a joke. The game looks pretty, but I prefer the smooth visuals in AC. My only gripe with AC is that it takes a little bit more to setup which is more an issue on my part. I think both GT6 and AC are great games.

Though what is so wrong about so called "hardcore" sims? Anybody can still drive them if they are realistic. Maybe not as fast as a racing pro but certainly enough to enjoy it.
Does GT6 look better than AC? Surly not?

Does GT6 look better than AC? Surly not?

Not unless you cherry pick the track, cars, lighting and weather conditions so that GT6 doesn't struggle or show any glitches.

Although AC is still ridiculously resource intensive. iRacing looks better than AC on my (admittedly pretty weak now) machine, simply because I can turn everything up to max, whereas AC I have to run very near minimum settings to hold 60fps.

I did a little experiment with my dad the other day. He's a car guy, but he lives in another country and hasn't been to my place since I got a wheel. I ran him on GT5, Forza and iRacing in a Miata, and he struggled with both GT and FM but took to iRacing pretty quickly.

One data point only so it doesn't really mean anything, but I honestly think that people with driving experience will adapt to a true sim faster simply because it responds in ways they know how to deal with, once they get over the lack of visual and seat of pants feedback. People with no driving experience will adapt as well to anything, really, but probably will find simplified sims easier/quicker because there's just less to learn.

Back