Car/Dealership cycles...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 317 comments
The file in post 1 is just for people who start with the Megane. The other links lead to a variety of .txt and .xls files.

You can download Excel viewers for free from http://www.download.com, or get OpenOffice which is also free.

I have updated my post of the dealer list to include full lists for all cars and days of appearance for those who start with the Honda Fit. Basic text file and XLS files have been uploaded. Enjoy!

I'd have much better ideas with a more specific description of the problem...

I have a xlsx (uploaded as a zip) View attachment gtpsp_VW_starting_car.zip file for the VW Golf GTI starting car.

I missed a couple of cars and will try to catch them the second time around.

It has 3 "sheets": 1 has the cars listed with the day available and the cost; 3 has a list of dealers and the days they show up; 4 has a list of days and the dealers available on those days. (sheet 2 was deleted).

I saw how others combined the cars available under each dealer in the list of days and that seems like a better format so I might try to change it for the update when I get the cars I missed.

I am using the (excellent) spreadsheet listing the cycle for the megane, and i'm trying to find a way to add a column that lists HP/weight ratio on the main sheet, I figured out how to do it, but it wouldn't let me sort by size.

I know the hp/weight info is on each seperate day cycle page but it would be cool to have it all in one place.

i'm getting a psp today however will not have a memory card so will not be able to save the game.

that means that i will have to start from the begining every time i turn it on. Would it be helpfull to tell you if i got the same car on each occasion or whether it varied.

does anyone allready know.

b90
I am using the (excellent) spreadsheet listing the cycle for the megane, and i'm trying to find a way to add a column that lists HP/weight ratio on the main sheet, I figured out how to do it, but it wouldn't let me sort by size.

I know the hp/weight info is on each seperate day cycle page but it would be cool to have it all in one place.

The problem you'll run into is that you're sorting a calculation. Since all the calculations are the same - =A2*1000/B2; =A3*1000/B3 and so on - it'll sort them the same way as they're already sorted, rather than by the result.

If you copy the column with the calculation in, then Paste Special, Numbers Only, THEN sort, it'll rank them as you want. Though you'll then find that the tick/dash part is all to pot, because the dashes are all Verdana (like the rest of the sheet) and the ticks are all Wingdings 2. So you'll end up with P/dash everywhere :D

AND the power ratings are commonly wrong anyway. GTPSP is like all GTs before it - the "showroom" figure and the "garage" figure aren't always the same, particularly on the JDM "276hp" cars. I am gradually updating the list with correct values (after all, you drive them in the garage, not the showroom) as I go, but it may take a while :D

Did you even test your file? I doesn't work :grumpy:! It gives you an error. Although I appreciate you providing the list, it is a waste of time if it does not work. Please check your link again or how about just posting the list!

Did you even test your file?

Yes.

I doesn't work :grumpy:!

Yes it does.

It gives you an error.

No, it gives you an error.

Although I appreciate you providing the list, it is a waste of time if it does not work.

Except that it does. Allow me to demonstrate:

b90

If it didn't work, it wouldn't work for him.

Please check your link again or how about just posting the list!

How about not holding ME responsible for YOUR errors?

Also, from earlier in the thread:

Problem: when I download the zip and try to open it, it says that the zip is corrupted.

Famine, can you check this on your side?

I can't open it either :indiff:

I just used Windows Compressed File Wizard like I always do.

Oddly, we've had this issue before - except that every time I download it to any device, I have no problems at all. I recall people saying that using 7zip it seems to be fine.

It unzipped for me just fine. Windows XP version compression file wizard.

Did you even test your file? I doesn't work :grumpy:! It gives you an error. Although I appreciate you providing the list, it is a waste of time if it does not work. Please check your link again or how about just posting the list!

It works fine. I just DLed a copy, unzipped it, and opened it with Excel. It took all of 7 seconds, 1 click, and 2 double clicks.

No problems opening anything over here either (OSX, Safari, OpenOffice), works just fine.

Wow, all that said and I'm still no where with this file. Why do you have to zip the file? I thought you wanted to share the file, clearly from other posters there is a problem with the type of file YOU created.

I've tested on many other zip files and don't get this error except for YOUR file.

"End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a Zip file, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part Zip file."

You can think I'm a jerk if you want but something is not standard with that file.

This one work? (extracted XLS, rezipped it using Archiving Utility on OSX)

Attachments

• gtpspcarsMEGANE.xls.zip
    133 KB · Views: 35
Wow, all that said and I'm still no where with this file.

Your problem, not mine.

Why do you have to zip the file?

To make it smaller, easier to download and less of a burden on the bandwidth of this site.

I thought you wanted to share the file, clearly from other posters there is a problem with the type of file YOU created.

Some people can open it. Some people can't open it. Tellingly, the people who can't open it can after they change how they're opening it.

Or they whine at me for it.

I've tested on many other zip files and don't get this error except for YOUR file.

And?

"End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a Zip file, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part Zip file."

You can think I'm a jerk if you want but something is not standard with that file.

The file is a Microsoft Office 97/2000 format .xls created in OpenOffice, then zipped using the WindowsXP Compressed File Wizard. It adheres to those standards perfectly.

For the last time, people can open it. The reason you can't is a problem at your end, not mine. Wading into this site, this thread and my visitor messages blaming me for a problem of your own making is not a good way to entice me to assist you, especially when you refuse to acknowledge that it's your problem and have failed to read the thread and take heed of earlier advice.

Spending 3 days, not only reading the thread but trying to figure out how to get access/open what appears to be a regular zip file is hardly wading through this thread. I and others are just trying to help you understand that this file does NOT work for everyone.

Thus my point, it would have been nice to have an alternate form of the file that would work for us "others".

Thank you for your attention.

I and others are just trying to help you understand that this file does NOT work for everyone.

I and others are just trying to help you understand that it does.

PEBKAC.

Thus my point, it would have been nice to have an alternate form of the file that would work for us "others".

I cannot provide one file for every type of uncompression and database software.

Last edited:
I was going to take the high road but upon further thought I changed my mind.

Basically what I've determined is that these pompous Brit blokes want to give me their over the pond attitude. If you don’t understand that 90% of the population does not use open source stuff is beyond me. Just because you and a handful of other can open it doesn't make it helpful to the majority.

I'm sure you’re the type that either rams people from behind or tries to run them off the road in GT. I may have come off with an attitude but rightly so, why would anyone want to spend hours trying to decipher how you coded a file that should have just open in excel, as you stated that was the format. Don't tell me it does work because it doesn't. Further why would anyone want to "wade" or even swim through the thread to figure out your mistakes or your preferred protocol, it’s beyond me and my time. I’ll be done with my list soon and will post a proper shagging of cycle car list in universal "text" space delimited format.

Good day to you Sir!:sly:

Basically what I've determined is that these pompous Brit blokes want to give me their over the pond attitude.

The guy who has been trying to help you is American.

If you don’t understand that 90% of the population does not use open source stuff is beyond me.

If you think Excel and WindowsXP are open source, it doesn't surprise me that anything is beyond you.

Just because you and a handful of other can open it doesn't make it helpful to the majority.

You and a handful of others can't open it. You are not the majority.

I'm sure you’re the type that either rams people from behind or tries to run them off the road in GT.

Right. Because I help people by putting together databases of cars on every GT release but you can't open one of them, I must be a dirty driver? Do me a favour.

I may have come off with an attitude but rightly so

Your first actions on this site were bristling with attitude - I've provided a resource you can't open, how dare I! Duke tried to help you by PM and your responses were stuffed with attitude.

People can open this file. They can use this file. That you can't means that there isn't a problem with the file, but a problem with what you are doing to it. There is nothing "right" about your attitude problem.

why would anyone want to spend hours trying to decipher how you coded a file that should have just open in excel, as you stated that was the format.

It does open in Excel. If you can't open it in Excel it's your problem (though you haven't even got that far).

Don't tell me it does work because it doesn't.

Three people have said they haven't been able to unzip it. It has been downloaded 259 times.

I will tell you that it works because it does. Duke told you that it works because it does. The problem is what you are doing with it. Until you accept this there is nothing anyone can do for you.

Further why would anyone want to "wade" or even swim through the thread to figure out your mistakes or your preferred protocol, it’s beyond me and my time.

I have made no mistakes. The file works. You can't work it. It is your problem and your mistake.

But yes, I agree. Why should you have to do any work at all for information you require? Other people should do it for you. Want me to browse the site every day for you and e-mail you things you're interested in? How about I play the game for you so you don't have to bother?

I’ll be done with my list soon.

Then for what do you need mine? Why all the fuss to let the universe know you can't open a simple .zip file with a simple .xls file inside it?

Last edited:
Don't tell me it does work because it doesn't.

Just tested it with the following, all of which worked without a hitch.

WinRAR (of which a free demo is available to), Windows XP compression and WinZIP. All uncompressed the .ZIP file just fine.

I Then tested it with both Excel 2007 and OpenOffice, both of which allowed me to view and use the .XLS spreadsheet without a hitch.

Sorry but it works just fine and if you use any of the above you should have no problem at all.

Scaff

Problem is either in the DL for me or the unzip. DL seems to work but how do I know when the file will not unzip, posts corrupt. I'm using Winzip and MS Excel so as I said before WHATEVER. I'm done trying to through to you's, I've got better things to do.

Winzip... " One of the most common problems with downloading is an error introduced into the downloaded file during the download. Such an error is usually due to some sort of communications error (for example, noise in a phone line) that caused the file you downloaded to be corrupted. In such a case, when you try to open the archive using WinZip, you will very likely see this message:

Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive.

Almost always, discarding the damaged file and downloading a new copy will correct this problem.

Redownloading did not help!💡

Even if I was willing to help you - and normally I am, but I make a special exception for people who insult and abuse me for daring to be helpful - there's nothing I can do to help you until you realise that the problem is entirely at your end.

Back