Car of the Month February - Saleen S7 '02 - Can you tame this beast?

- Saleen S7 '02
saleen_s7_00365669.jpg

prepared for mount panorama with 1:54 timing circuit ***, *** madrid 1:14 circuit and circuit Hig Speed Ring with time:.. 58,010. did not know who was very. Car Show
Mount_Panorama_Motor_Racing_Circuit_3_4.jpg

Specifications
Performance Points:
600 PP
Max. Power:
670 HP
Weight:
1200 kg
Weight Distribution (F/R):
5050 / -4950
Displacement:
7.008 cc
Max. Torque:
727 ft-lb
Drivetrain:
MR
Game Version:
Controller Type:
Steering Wheel
Tires
Tires (Front):
Racing: Soft
Tires (Rear):
Racing: Hard
Parts & Modifications
Wheel Model:
RAYS 57Xtreme
Suspension Kit:
Height-Adjustable, Fully Customizable Suspension
Transmission:
Fully-Customizable Transmission
Engine:
Stage 1
Turbo Kits:
Supercharger
Weight Reduction:
Stage 2
Other Parts:
  • Racing Brake Kit
  • Fully-Customizable Mechanical Limited-Slip Differential
Suspension
Ride Height (F/R):
95 / 96
Spring Rate (F/R):
10.72 / 8.64
Dampers - Comp. (F/R):
4 / 4
Dampers - Ext. (F/R):
2 / 5
Anti-Roll Bars (F/R):
5 / 4
Camber Angle (F/R):
0.0 / 0.5
Toe Angle (F/R):
0.09 / 0.40
Brake Balance (F/R):
7 / 7
Transmission
Max. Speed:
310 kph
1st Gear:
2nd Gear:
3rd Gear:
4th Gear:
5th Gear:
6th Gear:
Final Gear:
Special Instructions:
reset / 2.920 / 310 Km/h / 1.2.3.4.5.6 / final gear = 2.760
Circuito_de_Madrid_3.jpg

Drivetrain
Initial Torque (F/R):
00 / 08
Accel. Sensitivity (F/R):
00 / 11
Braking Sensitivity (F/R):
00 / 09
F/R Torque Distribution:
5050 / -4950
Power
Power Limiter:
96.4%
Body
Ballast Weight:
38 kg
Ballast Position:
44%
Driving Aids
Traction Control:
ABS Level:
enjoy 👍

Saleen S7 '02 550PP Sports Soft, by @Bowtie-muscle Review

16193932158_16aa4f85ee_c.jpg

Expert Level NRC Ascari Challenge Winner! 👍
Need to brake early and MUST be mindful of the power so USE throttle control on exit. :dopey:

Confirmed! :D

Jokes aside, the S7 is good looking, powerfull and super fast, but really hard to control. Despite all this, Mr.B managed to tame the beast quite nicely, making it a good driving experience...

Powerfull enough to outcome all the others, the main issue was controling all that powerfull into a usefull and pratical ride. The result was positive. Although still having some (rear) "anger" issues :lol: and failed me on some crucial situations, it was quite nice to drive. A great gearbox, suspension, and rotation/balance were the key to make this ride driveable.

On Ascari, my 2 harder opponents were myself (control) and that nasty TKaira... :grumpy: I hate TK!

Overall, a challenging and fun driving experience with some scary moments... :)

👍

Hello!....Hello!....Hello....Hello!....Hello!....Hello!..........

Anyone out there?

It has been way to quiet around here, not sure if it is the cold of winter or the FITT Tuning Challenge keeping everyone away, but I am FINALLY (sorry guys:guilty:) getting around to some reviews!:D So I am looking this time at @Rush471 and his Saleen S7. Lap times given are what I achieved but keep in mind I was not really pushing to see how fast I could get the car, more like 90-95%.

The Review - 550pp on Sport Soft

I built one of these for the CoTM and just in time for the seasonal at Ascari, Rush471 mentions he achieved a 2:07.xxx lap time there. Pretty impressive indeed. I should also mention, so did I in mine, I tried several of tunes at 550pp for that event and the S7 was the fastest for me:crazy:. So how would his tune do in my hands? First I needed to feel the tune out, it is not an easy car to drive and his notes say it needs to be driven a certain way (as does mine).

First up, Supercar Festival at Silverstone International, my go to event between 550 - 600pp. I know what a good lap time is and feels like there (and I get payed to do it:sly:). My first impression was how much the Rigidity Improvement helps the car, note to self "check into adding that to your tune". Second was the gearbox, set long for higher speed but giving the advantage of less throttle control on exit. You still could light the rear tires and get it out of shape but could easily recover. If driven in too deep, you could encounter mid-corner understeer but nothing propering braking point could not repair. After laps, and the Enzo getting in my was, managed a respectable 1:06.994. Not bad, enjoying this tune.

Next up, Supercar Festival at Monza. This car was bred for a track like this, it's gearbox favored this track to a tee and I actually hit 6th gear (never touched 6th at Silverstone). Slow and gentle in the low speed corners, especially turn 1, but plenty of brute power on the straights. Was in front rather quickly which allowed my friend in the Enzo to get on my nerves trying to pass me on the final lap and a half. But I prevailed and left him to cry getting beat by an American car at an Italian track :dopey:. The tune was better here in my opinion.

Now off to Ascari and to try and get down into the 2:07 range. As mentioned, I have spent plenty of time here as of late so the track is no mystery. Now I will not say I have mastered it but there are no surprises. Arcade mode, forgot to set grip to real but whatever, better exit than my tune but did feel a little less powerful but still rather fun and easy to keep on track if you are gentle in slower corners. brakes may have felt better than mine too. The second lap was almost a success that early with a time of 2:08.060. Third and final lap was going even better until I managed to mess up on a late corner but still beat the ghost to the line with a time of 2:07.925. Should have been 3 or 4 tenths faster, and I was not really pushing for all it had. With grip not set to real, and another 5 laps, this car could easily get into the 2:06 range :cool:.

Conclusion:
My overall impression, really nice tune not all that different to my own. I rather enjoyed the drive and would conclude that Rush has tamed this beast.:eek: It really likes higher speed tracks and stretching it's legs, not a tune for a tight twisty track. Take it where it wants to go, you will not be disappointed and you WILL enjoy the drive too. 👍

okie dokie boys and girls, Ladies and Gents here it is. a PP variable S7 550-571PP Tires SH-RH
Saleen S7 '02
The transmission is set up to allow use at any track across the full PP range it has been tuned for. The higher the PP the softer the tire is what I recommend.
Enjoy the drive, Pic coming soon.

Hello!....Hello!....Hello....Hello!....Hello!....Hello!..........

Anyone out there?

It has been way to quiet around here, not sure if it is the cold of winter or the FITT Tuning Challenge keeping everyone away, but I am FINALLY (sorry guys:guilty:) getting around to some reviews!:D So I am looking this time at @Rush471 and his Saleen S7. Lap times given are what I achieved but keep in mind I was not really pushing to see how fast I could get the car, more like 90-95%.

The Review - 550pp on Sport Soft

I built one of these for the CoTM and just in time for the seasonal at Ascari, Rush471 mentions he achieved a 2:07.xxx lap time there. Pretty impressive indeed. I should also mention, so did I in mine, I tried several of tunes at 550pp for that event and the S7 was the fastest for me:crazy:. So how would his tune do in my hands? First I needed to feel the tune out, it is not an easy car to drive and his notes say it needs to be driven a certain way (as does mine).

First up, Supercar Festival at Silverstone International, my go to event between 550 - 600pp. I know what a good lap time is and feels like there (and I get payed to do it:sly:). My first impression was how much the Rigidity Improvement helps the car, note to self "check into adding that to your tune". Second was the gearbox, set long for higher speed but giving the advantage of less throttle control on exit. You still could light the rear tires and get it out of shape but could easily recover. If driven in too deep, you could encounter mid-corner understeer but nothing propering braking point could not repair. After laps, and the Enzo getting in my was, managed a respectable 1:06.994. Not bad, enjoying this tune.

Next up, Supercar Festival at Monza. This car was bred for a track like this, it's gearbox favored this track to a tee and I actually hit 6th gear (never touched 6th at Silverstone). Slow and gentle in the low speed corners, especially turn 1, but plenty of brute power on the straights. Was in front rather quickly which allowed my friend in the Enzo to get on my nerves trying to pass me on the final lap and a half. But I prevailed and left him to cry getting beat by an American car at an Italian track :dopey:. The tune was better here in my opinion.

Now off to Ascari and to try and get down into the 2:07 range. As mentioned, I have spent plenty of time here as of late so the track is no mystery. Now I will not say I have mastered it but there are no surprises. Arcade mode, forgot to set grip to real but whatever, better exit than my tune but did feel a little less powerful but still rather fun and easy to keep on track if you are gentle in slower corners. brakes may have felt better than mine too. The second lap was almost a success that early with a time of 2:08.060. Third and final lap was going even better until I managed to mess up on a late corner but still beat the ghost to the line with a time of 2:07.925. Should have been 3 or 4 tenths faster, and I was not really pushing for all it had. With grip not set to real, and another 5 laps, this car could easily get into the 2:06 range :cool:.

Conclusion:
My overall impression, really nice tune not all that different to my own. I rather enjoyed the drive and would conclude that Rush has tamed this beast.:eek: It really likes higher speed tracks and stretching it's legs, not a tune for a tight twisty track. Take it where it wants to go, you will not be disappointed and you WILL enjoy the drive too. 👍
Hey @Bowtie-muscle! Thanks for a great review, I'm glad you enjoyed the tune! :dopey: :cheers:

Saleen S7 2002/2003 Replica
1:21s at Willow Springs International Raceway ( Big Willow )

Tuned to replicate Saleen S7 Base V8
Comfort Soft

CAR : Saleen S7 '02
Tire : Comfort Soft

Specs Dry Weight ( No Fuel )
Horsepower: 550 HP at 6500 RPM
Torque: 526.9 ft-lb at 4000 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Weight: 1247 kg
Ballast : 140 kg
Ballast Position : 50
Weight Distribution : 47 / 53 - as close possible to real life at 40/60
Performance Points: 566

Specs Curb Weight ( Fuel 72L )
Horsepower: 550 HP at 6500 RPM
Torque: 526.9 ft-lb at 4000 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Weight: 1302 kg
Ballast : 195 kg
Ballast Position : 50
Weight Distribution : 45 / 55 - as close possible to real life at 40/60
Performance Points: 563

GT AUTO
NO Oil change
Improve Body Rigidity ( Installed in this build ) - OPTIONAL -there's no bad side effect of this, highly recommended as the real car has welded roll cage.
Wheels : Stock or Standard Size BLITZ BRW Profile 08 in Dark Gray Silver
Car Paint : Champion Yellow 4

Tuning Parts Installed :
Racing Exhaust
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD
Full Customizable Dog Clutch Transmission
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Hood ( Body Color )

Suspension - Custom Eibach Springs 450/550 with H&R Helper and Koni Dampers
Dry Weight Spec Tuned Damper
Street/Bumpy Ride Height

Front, Rear

Ride Height: 114 114 ( Optional Track/Stock Ride Height 102 102 or Lowest 99 99 )
Spring Rate: 8.04 9.82
Dampers (Compression): 8 5
Dampers (Extension): 4 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 3
Camber Angle: 1.0 1.0
Toe Angle: 0.00 0.00

Suspension - Custom Eibach Springs 450/550 with H&R Helper and Koni Dampers
Curb Weight Spec Tuned Damper
Track/Stock Ride Height

Front, Rear

Ride Height: 102 102 ( Optional Street/Bumpy Ride Height 114 114 or Lowest 99 99 )
Spring Rate: 8.04 9.82
Dampers (Compression): 8 5
Dampers (Extension): 3 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 3
Camber Angle: 1.0 1.0
Toe Angle: 0.00 0.00

DOG CLUTCH TRANSMISSION - ZF RBT 6 Speed
2002/2003 Base Saleen S7 Gear Ratio + Stock Final Set 1

Set Default
Set Final to 4.950
Set Auto Max Speed at 290kmh / 180mph
Adjust each gear :
1st 2.560
2nd 1.610
3rd 1.140
4th 0.958
5th 0.807
6th 0.704
Set Final 3.220

2002/2003 High Final Gear Ratio with Custom Ratio Set 2

Set Default
Set Final 3.700
Set Auto Max Speed at 430kmh / 267mph
Adjust each gear :
1st 2.860
2nd 1.610
3rd 1.140
4th 0.958
5th 0.807
6th 0.642
Set Final 3.700

2002/2003 Stock Final Gear Ratio with Super Close Ratio Selection Set 3

Set Default
Set Final 3.700
Set Auto Max Speed at 349kmh / 217mph
Adjust each gear :
1st 2.860
2nd 2.060
3rd 1.470
4th 1.180
5th 0.958
6th 0.740
Set Final 3.220 ( For even better acceleration at low/medium speed track : 3.700 or 4.220 )

List of available ratios for the ZF RBT 6 Speed :
1st 2.860 / 2.560
2nd 2.060 / 1.610
3rd 1.470 / 1.140
4th 1.180 / 0.958
5th 0.958 / 0.807
6th 0.704 / 0.740 / 0.642
( Available Final : 3.220, 3.700 and 4.220 )

LSD 2 way rear ( low preload )
REAR
Initial Torque : 15
Acceleration Sensitivity: 30
Braking Sensitivity: 30

Brake Balance:
5/5 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 3/3, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 5/7 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :

The Saleen S7 is one of the messed up car in GT6, the gearing and weight distribution are wrong. How can a MR car have more weight at the front :lol: and stock GT6 gearing ratio chosen from available options offered by Saleen is funky to say the least :lol:

Power stock at 550HP and torque are accurate, while for weight, I provided 2 spec. Dry weight with no fuel at 1247kg and curb weight with fuel at 1302kg. The actual test car weight at 1384kg / 3050 lbs is not possible. Ballast position has been set at 50 ( maximum rear ) to get as close as possible to 40/60 distribution of the real car.
The real car also do not have any electronic nannies, no ABS, no traction control, no adaptive damping or stability control. It's as raw as it gets to street legal race car with comfort of grand touring supercar.

Suspension is custom setup with 450/550 spring rate ( based on Eibach spring, H&R Helper spring and Koni Damper from test drive review ). I have tuned the damper and ARB for street tires, while still good for track driving. There are 3 sets of ride height, I used 2 of them for the 2 sets of suspension. The dry weight and curb weight suspension each has custom tuned damper to suit the weight distribution. The dry weight uses 114mm ride height ( street/bumpy ), while the curb weight is set with 102mm ( track/stock - most publication listed this ). There are reports of 99mm / 3.9 inch clearance, so I included this as lowest ride height.

For gearing, the real car uses ZF RBT 6 Speed transaxle, which comes with variety of gear ratio and ring & pinion / final. Here is the summary as listed above :

List of available ratios for the ZF RBT 6 Speed :
1st 2.860 / 2.560
2nd 2.060 / 1.610
3rd 1.470 / 1.140
4th 1.180 / 0.958
5th 0.958 / 0.807
6th 0.704 / 0.740 / 0.642
( Available Final : 3.220, 3.700 and 4.220 )

The dry weight uses High Final 3.700 and custom gear ratio Set 2, while the curb weight uses Stock Final 3.220 and base gear ratio offered by Saleen Set 1. The 3rd set is the super close ratio and stock final, this offers great acceleration at lower top speed ( still 200+mph ), the optional higher final ( 3.700 + 4.220 ) can also be used for even more rapid acceleration - low/medium speed track.

LSD used on this replica is 2 way with low preload and optimized lock. The preload is set to give positive response from no throttle to mid throttle on mid corner, providing good stability on transition.

I encourage to experiment with the ride height and gearing to suits your preference and track. The stock base gearing set 1 has wide spread, while the set 2 has nice ratios for medium to high speed corners ( used on Big Willow lap ), while set 3 super close ratio is good for smaller tracks with lots of low speed corners ( 3.700 final is good balance, 4.220 offers the lowest top speed )

I mainly tested the car at Tsukuba and Big Willow. At Big Willow, the Saleen S7 is one of the fastest road car replica on comfort tires, capable of 1:21s lap on comfort soft :eek:
The 1:21s run was done using the dry weight spec + dry weight suspension ( 114mm ride height ) + High Final 3.700/Custom Gear Ratio Set 2 and NO Body rigidity improvement :P The last sector was in 55s range.

I highly recommend to try the car with no body improvement first, the body rigidity is optional. The real car has welded roll cage.

The replay of the run has been provided, very useful for reference on how to drive the car on the limit on comfort soft tires. Make a note of how the throttle modulated on the long curve and brake application.

Attachments

• SaleenS7BigWillow1m21sCS.zip
    312.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi, I made a set up some weeks ago and is not too bad IMO. I have a revision of it for short tracks and I can upload too if is needed.

Tested at Silverstone International Circuit. Very good response on Sport Soft, not so bad on SH. The tune was tested for SH, but improves a lot with SS. Fast and safe, but be gentle and kind with the trottle.

The tune needs some adjustements to run in big tracks like Spa.

No ABS. (And without any other digital assistance)

Tune

Enjoy! :D

silverstone-international-circuit-jpg.278032

I hope people can... I've been wanting a driveable version for quite a while. :nervous:
Quite a few to choose from, not an easy ride but I think I got it controlled. @Rush471 got his under control for sure. Please feel free to try a few and give feedback in this thread, that is why it is here. Month is running out quickly, March Car of the Month coming in a week too. ;)

Ok, so this is my first tune post on GTP :D

Saleen S7 (obviously)

Spec :

600PP
671 bhp
1,195 kgs
48:52 weight split
1.78kg/hp ratio

Parts :

SS Tyres
Fully customisable suspension
Race brakes
Race gearbox
Race diff
Stage 2 engine
Stage 3 weight loss
Carbon bonnet
Oil change

Settings :

Suspension :

Height 60-60
Springs 10.00-10.00
Dampers 4-4-4-4
Anti roll bars 5-5
Camber 3.5-3.5
Toe 0.0-0.0

Brakes 5-5

Gearbox :

Auto setting - 242 mph
Final drive - 3.200
Default individual gear settings

Diff :

Initial torque - 5
Acceleration - 60
Deceleration - 5

Power limiter - 90.3%

Ballast - 88 kgs, set all at the back of the car

It handles pretty well IMO. Took 5 minutes to build and did a 1:19.593 first attempt on Apricot Hill (not sure how that compares to other 600PP road cars but I certainly wasn't going full bore).

Ok, so this is my first tune post on GTP :D

Saleen S7 (obviously)

Spec :

600PP
671 bhp
1,195 kgs
48:52 weight split
1.78kg/hp ratio

Parts :

SS Tyres
Fully customisable suspension
Race brakes
Race gearbox
Race diff
Stage 2 engine
Stage 3 weight loss
Carbon bonnet
Oil change

Settings :

Suspension :

Height 60-60
Springs 10.00-10.00
Dampers 4-4-4-4
Anti roll bars 5-5
Camber 3.5-3.5
Toe 0.0-0.0

Brakes 5-5

Gearbox :

Auto setting - 242 mph
Final drive - 3.200
Default individual gear settings

Diff :

Initial torque - 5
Acceleration - 60
Deceleration - 5

Power limiter - 90.3%

Ballast - 88 kgs, set all at the back of the car

It handles pretty well IMO. Took 5 minutes to build and did a 1:19.593 first attempt on Apricot Hill (not sure how that compares to other 600PP road cars but I certainly wasn't going full bore).
Brave choice for your first tune:crazy:, nice job, I am hoping to get to a few more but no promises. :ouch:

Well I WAS going to try to post my reviews this weekend :lol:. I could probably still rush them, but I want to make sure I get other stuff done this weekend before I start testing the new tunes.

Latest Posts

Back